Lord of the Rings

And all the King's horses, and all the King's men, couldn't BTFO again.

This has to be the best scene in LOTR. Why is it so good?
"Spears shall be shaken! Shields shall be splintered!"
"Ride! Ride for ruin! And the world's ending!"
"DEEEAAAAATH!!!!"

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=FnYbsAVdkYw
youtube.com/watch?v=N0X_11v86Co
youtube.com/watch?v=QaVFL1zm47Y
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Makes me teary to this day. But the highlight for me is later on when Éowyn goes "I am no man!" and defeats The Witch-king of Angmar. As a woman, it makes me feel very empowered.

That's cool.
My ultimate fantasy is to bind a woman like you in chains and masturbate over her face. As I loose my semen all over her face with thick, hot loads I want her to say "I am no man!", thus making her acknowledge the inferiority of her gender and providing me with an excuse to block out any subconscious feelings of being a homosexual as I am cumming onto someone who is denying being a man.
It makes me feel very empowered.

I also feel this way, but with hobbits.

It has great dialogue, thanks to J.R.R.
Jackson and co. held up their end to combine to make it movie perfection.

It really is perfect. The dialogue was amazing, the directing was amazing, the acting was great. The whole atmosphere is just phenomenal.

Only other scene I could compare would be Last March of the Ents. The music, oh the music, combined with the epicness of these latent tree-folk finally going to war against those that have hurt them so much. Those two are the best scenes in LotR
youtube.com/watch?v=FnYbsAVdkYw

>It is likely that we go to our doom
get chills everytime

>nd all the King's horses, and all the King's men, couldn't BTFO again.
>
>This has to be the best scene in LOTR. Why is it so good?
>"Spears shall be shaken! Shields shall be splintered!"
>"Ride! Ride for ruin! And the world's ending!"
>"DEEEAAAAATH!!!!"
You're fucking cancer.

>creatures that I knew from nut to acorn!
>...........SARUMAN...!!
>A WIZARD SHOULD KNOW BETTER

I love this scene so much. And then the actual march, where you see all the Ents slowly making their way to Isengard with that beautiful music. Damn, man.

One does not simply shitpost in a LOTR thread

I have a strange erection now.

You want to cum on a Hobbit's face while it proclaims it is not a man?
I'm into that.

That score tat starts on "the last march of the ents" line, perfection

>Crappy, boring, way, way, WAY too long battle scenes

guess you have to add something to keep the kids interested

Little orcs BURARUM

When I was a kid that line slayed me for some reason.

"I would have followed you my Brother.... my Captain.... my King...."

Watch Downton Abbey if you just want people talk, faggot.

They've delivered a climax that isn't rushed and that is somehow bad? Kill yourself, my dude.

A SWORD DAY! A RED DAY! AND 'ERE THE SUN RISES!!!

>there is no curse in elvish, entish or tongues of men for this treachery

>*AHOOOOOOOOO
>*AHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
Fuck, when they blow the horn of Rohan it just makes me cum all over

manliest scene of all time

How about when Theoden fucking is all celebratory, rallying the cavalry "TO THE CITY!"

Then... fucking Oliphants. That look Bernard Hill gives.

t. someone who unironically enjoys capeshit

t. pretentious filmenthousiast

FORTH EORLINGAS!!!!!

>Eomer finding Eowyn's shattered, poisoned body
>Eomer dominates on the battlefield... only to find his uncle chewed up and his sister, who was supposed to be home, done.

Well then, time to rewatch the trilogy again. Think I did that two months ago.

I'm kind of surprised the autists on this board actually realize that Lord of the Rings are the best films ever made. It's one of the only things Sup Forums isn't retarded about.

Return of the King was the best film of the three.

And the retardation returns, that was brief

I'll never understand these Fellowship purists. All three were fantastic films, and Fellowship was a solid adventure film. But Two Towers and ROTK vastly unfolded the full scape of the world and the battles and warring factions make some of the best scenes in the entire trilogy.

Return of the King had the best battle, and the best scenes of Frodo losing his fucking mind with Sam being his best enabler of the lunacy.

Even better is the look he gives when the Witch King sweeps in. It's that perfect essence of "aw fuck this, I'm so screwed".

I like the scene from the book more

>And those who stood by wept, crying: ‘Théoden King! Théoden King!’
But Éomer said to them:
Mourn not overmuch! Mighty was the fallen,
meet was his ending. When his mound is raised,
women then shall weep. War now calls us!
Yet he himself wept as he spoke. ‘Let his knights remain here,’ he said; ‘and bear his body in honour from the field, lest the battle ride over it! Yea, and all these other of the king’s men that lie here.’ And he looked at the slain, recalling their names. Then suddenly he beheld his sister Éowyn as she lay, and he knew her. He stood a moment as a man who is pierced in the midst of a cry by an arrow through the heart; and then his face went deathly white; and a cold fury rose in him, so that all speech failed him for a while. A fey mood took him.
‘Éowyn, Éowyn!’ he cried at last: ‘Éowyn, how come you here? What madness or devilry is this? Death, death, death! Death take us all!’
Then without taking counsel or waiting for the approach of the men of the City, he spurred headlong back to the front of the great host, and blew a horn, and cried aloud for the onset. Over the field rang his clear voice calling: ‘Death! Ride, ride to ruin and the world’s ending!’
And with that the host began to move. But the Rohirrim sang no more. Death they cried with one voice loud and terrible, and gathering speed like a great tide their battle swept about their fallen king and passed, roaring away southwards.

How long till they remake this with a fine, Nubian actor?

I actually hate that scene. It's cringey. Why would he shout "Death" like an evil madman?

Eomer said it in the book.

Movie sucks, pleb.

They are charging to their deaths, gladly. It's not something a woman or pussy male would understand.

theoden saying ti works better for the movie, autsit

>implying Chris will ever allow another adaptation

>I am a faggot and don't understand how Vikings approached battle

It's a good day to die, queer.

2016 isn't over.

>Dec 31
>Chris releases LotR to Disney
>John rises from the grave to exact vengeance on the living,
sounds about right

Fellowship is by far the best. This is obvious.

But damn, some of you niggers need to learn how to read books. The books are so much better it's laughable.

You've just been served so many utterly shit movies that ones that are competently made in any way are just astounding and the best movies you've ever seen in your 14 year old lives.

/got general/?

nah tripfag, unfortunately the cgi is not aging well, the minimalist look of FotR means its just going to age better, the wargs and olliphants etc are starting to look really bad

Not that guy but this scene did strike me as somewhat odd the last time I saw the movie.

I sort of feel like they portrayed Theoden as quick to give up against overwhelming odds? Obviously not since he fights to the death, but he just goes "we're gonna die guys no hope deeeeath"

yea, their under-manned facing a literal apocolyptic army, he's being honest which his tough af men probably appreciate, its 'yes we're fucked but we're men so we're going down fighting whos with me?'

if you can't understand that then well your a grill or a giant pussy

It's a bit odd that the forces of good are the ones shouting "death". That's something that the orcs would shout.

good guys can shout 'death' too this is 2016

pretty gay, cause orcs cant fight and get murked easily.

>and Rosie Cotton...
>If I could have married any girl
>It would have been her
>*music swells*

My fucking dick when the movie got re-released in theaters for the bluray release. MY FUCKING DICK WHEN THIS SCENE.

It makes more sense in the books because it's from a completely different part. I can't remember, but he sees something that kind of fucks with his head (Lich King?) and starts screaming that.

Eomer says it after seeing eowyns body next to theoden

The Oliphaunts were great but I always wondered why they made the Wargs into fucking Pitbull Hyenas. I thought they looked straight ass.

The Rohirrim indeed had no need of news or alarm. All too well they could see for themselves the black sails. For Eomer was now scarcely a mile from the Harlond, and a great press of his first foes was between him and the haven there, while new foes came swirling behind, cutting him off from the Prince. Now he looked to the River, and hope died in his heart, and the wind that he had blessed he now called accursed. But the hosts of Mordor were enheartened, and filled with a new lust and fury they came yelling to the onset.

Stern now was Eomer's mood, and his mind clear again. He let blow the horns to rally all men to his banner that could come thither; for he thought to make a great shield-wall at the last, and stand, and fight there on foot till all fell, and do deeds of song on the fields of Pelennor, though no man should be left in the West to remember the last King of the Mark. So he rode to a green hillock and there set his banner, and the White Horse ran rippling in the wind.

Out of doubt, out of dark to the day's rising
I came singing in the sun, sword unsheathing.
To hope's end I rode and to heart's breaking:
Now for wrath, now for ruin and a red nightfall!

These staves he spoke, yet he laughed as he said them. For once more lust of battle was on him; and he was still unscathed, and he was young, and he was king: the lord of a fell people. And lo! even as he laughed at despair he looked out again on the black ships, and he lifted up his sword to defy them.

>listening to the soundtrack
>battle of pelenor fields
>that single violine playing the rohan theme starts
>have to stop everything cause goosebumps

that guy's built to survive high speed car crashes

Just looked this up in the book.
Theoden NEVER shouts "Death" before the battle, no one does. He just gives that speech about shields being splintered, etc.

So Jackson fucked up here.

Aragon was much more arrogant and more of a Chad in the books.

He kept bragging and emphasizing his bloodline more.

They toned off this lineage boasting in the movie so most people are neutral about Movie Aragon's personality compared to the books.

>RIDE NOW, RIDE NOW!

Or they just toned down the Divine Right of Kings stuff because people in >thecurrentyear don't really like that idea anymore. Granted, it was a bit blase even in Tolkien's time, but Tolkien was a bit of a romantic.

The movies as far as their adaptation faithfulness will always be argued over.

But can we agree that LotR has the best film soundtrack ever?

His speech is an amalgamation of a few different speeches and moments from the whole chapter.

>But thereupon Eomer rode up in haste... and grief and dismay fell upon him as he came to the king's side and stood there in silence....

>And he looked at the slain, recalling their names. Then suddenly he beheld his sister Éowyn as she lay, and he knew her. He stood a moment as a man who is pierced in the midst of a cry by an arrow through the heart; and then his face went deathly white; and a cold fury rose in him, so that all speech failed him for a while. A fey mood took him.

>Eowyn, Eowyn!' he cried at last: 'Eowyn, how come you here? What madness or devilry is this? Death, death, death! Death take us all!'

>Then without taking counsel or waiting for the approach of the men of the City, he spurred headlong back to the front of the great host, and blew a horn, and cried aloud for the onset. Over the field rang his clear voice calling: 'Death! Ride, ride to ruin and the world's ending!'

>And with that the host began to move. But the Rohirrim sang no more. Death they cried with one voice loud and terrible, and gathering speed like a great tide their battle swept about their fallen king and passed, roaring away southwards.

h*lla fuck*ng ep1c

Yeah I'm critical of the films but love them a lot for what they are and appreciate what they managed to do.

Howard Shore's score has it's moments, but the goddamn choir epic chanting gets a little too much and too repetitive sometimes. It kind of reflects the same problem I had with the movie, that it was trying so hard to be epic and dramatic while staying cool and funny that it just felt too Hollywood at points.

Like it was forced epic, not a natural build-up, just sometimes, and other times it was actually epic.

Now silently the host of Rohan moved forward into the field of Gondor, pouring in slowly but steadily, like the rising tide through breaches in a dike that men have thought secure. But the mind and will of the Black Captain were bent wholly on the falling city, and as yet no tidings came to him warning that his designs held any flaw.

After a while the king led his men away somewhat eastward, to come between the fires of the siege and the outer fields. Still they were unchallenged, and still Théoden gave no signal. At last he halted once again. The City was now nearer. A smell of burning was in the air and a very shadow of death. The horses were uneasy. But the king sat upon Snowmane, motionless, gazing upon the agony of Minas Tirith, as if stricken suddenly by anguish, or by dread. He seemed to shrink down, cowed by age. Merry himself felt as if a great weight of horror and doubt had settled on him. His heart beat slowly. Time seemed poised in uncertainty. They were too late! Too late was worse than never! Perhaps Théoden would quail, bow his old head, turn, slink away to hide in the hills.

Then suddenly Merry felt it at last, beyond doubt: a change. Wind was in his face! Light was glimmering. Far, far away, in the South the clouds could be dimly seen as remote grey shapes, rolling up, drifting: morning lay beyond them.

But at that same moment there was a flash, as if lightning had sprung from the earth beneath the City. For a searing second it stood dazzling far off in black and white, its topmost tower like a glittering needle; and then as the darkness closed again there came rolling over the fields a great boom.

See some of the passages in the book truly give me tingles.

There's a scene at Helms Deep near the end where Aragorn jumps up on the Hornburg wall and starts talking to Saruman's army. They mention parley and he says something like "nah I'm giving you one chance to leave or none of you will make it out of here alive" and they get all pissed and start shooting at him.

It's pretty badass. Helm's Deep was pretty accurate in the film, but Aragorn stole Theodens thunder with the charge at the end and Gimli's funky ass blew the horn of Helm Hammerhand (which I also thought sounded kind of poop.) Other than that, though, not bad.

Oh and there weren't any ents in the movie when in the book a fucking creepy forest shows up in the middle of the night and every Orc that enters it disasppears. It's hilarious.

At that sound the bent shape of the king sprang suddenly erect. Tall and proud he seemed again; and rising in his stirrups he cried in a loud voice, more clear than any there had ever heard a mortal man achieve before:

Arise, arise, Riders of Théoden!
Fell deeds awake: fire and slaughter!
spear shall be shaken, shield be splintered,
a sword-day, a red day, ere the sun rises!
Ride now, ride now! Ride to Gondor!

With that he seized a great horn from Guthláf his banner-bearer, and he blew such a blast upon it that it burst asunder. And straightway all the horns in the host were lifted up in music, and the blowing of the horns of Rohan in that hour was like a storm upon the plain and a thunder in the mountains.

Ride now, ride now! Ride to Gondor!

Suddenly the king cried to Snowmane and the horse sprang away. Behind him his banner blew in the wind, white horse upon a field of green, but he outpaced it. After him thundered the knights of his house, but he was ever before them. Éomer rode there, the white horsetail on his helm floating in his speed, and the front of the first éored roared like a breaker foaming to the shore, but Théoden could not be overtaken. Fey he seemed, or the battle-fury of his fathers ran like new fire in his veins, and he was borne up on Snowmane like a god of old, even as Oromë the Great in the battle of the Valar when the world was young. His golden shield was uncovered, and lo! it shone like an image of the Sun, and the grass flamed into green about the white feet of his steed. For morning came, morning and a wind from the sea; and darkness was removed, and the hosts of Mordor wailed, and terror took them, and they fled, and died, and the hoofs of wrath rode over them. And then all the host of Rohan burst into song, and they sang as they slew, for the joy of battle was on them, and the sound of their singing that was fair and terrible came even to the City.

>Eomer McDwarfist is possessed by a fey mood!

>For death and glory
>For Rohan, for your people
>The sun is rising
>Let this be the hour where we draw swords toghether
>FOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOORTH EORLINGASSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS
>that fucking Horn of Helm Hammerhand

youtube.com/watch?v=N0X_11v86Co

>other times it was actually epic
The buildup to the huge battle in the second one...mmmm.
That slightly irritated me in the third one, the battle just...started. No signals, no posturing, just catapults firing away at random and then mayhem. Though I suppose after the show-off in the second part, there was no way to top it. And orcs are more undisciplined than Uruk-hai...

>Oh and there weren't any ents in the movie when in the book a fucking creepy forest shows up in the middle of the night and every Orc that enters it disasppears. It's hilarious.
Legit forgot about this part. So much cool stuff that really added to the story they left out in all the movies. Yea it's amazing they got in as much as they did, but still. For example, the part in ROTK when Faramir and his men retreat from Osgiliath and the Nazgul chase them, all of their horses go mad from the Fell Beasts and toss their riders and run off, leaving the men to run for their lives. Always thought that would have been cool to see.

>And then wonder took him, and a great joy; and he cast his sword up in the sunlight and sang as he caught it. And all eyes followed his gaze, and behold! upon the foremost ship a great standard broke, and the wind displayed it as she turned towards the Harlond. There flowered a White Tree, and that was for Gondor; but Seven Stars were about it, and a high crown above it, the signs of Elendil that no lord had borne for years beyond count. And the stars flamed in the sunlight, for they were wrought of gems by Arwen daughter of Elrond; and the crown was bright in the morning, for it was wrought of mithril and gold.

>Thus came Aragorn son of Arathorn, Elessar, Isildur’s heir, out of the Paths of the Dead, borne upon a wind from the Sea to the kingdom of Gondor; and the mirth of the Rohirrim was a torrent of laughter and a flashing of swords, and the joy and wonder of the City was a music of trumpets and a ringing of bells. But the hosts of Mordor were seized with bewilderment, and a great wizardry it seemed to them that their own ships should be filled with their foes; and a black dread fell on them, knowing that the tides of fate had turned against them and their doom was at hand.

>East rode the knights of Dol Amroth driving the enemy before them: troll-men and Variags and orcs that hated the sunlight. South strode Éomer and men fled before his face, and they were caught between the hammer and the anvil. For now men leaped from the ships to the quays of the Harlond and swept north like a storm. There came Legolas, and Gimli wielding his axe, and Halbarad with the standard, and Elladan and Elrohir with stars on their brow, and the dour-handed Dúnedain, Rangers of the North, leading a great valour of the folk of Lebennin and Lamedon and the fiefs of the South. But before all went Aragorn with the Flame of the West, Andúril like a new fire kindled, Narsil re-forged as deadly as of old; and upon his brow was the Star of Elendil.

See Theoden's a big old bitch in the film because Jackson needs to manufacture extra cheesy drama at every turn. He also did this with Gandalf, Faramir, Denethor, even Frodo. Shits not Theodens ride, it's Aragorns.

And the horn sounds too much like a Didgeridoo lol. The straya cunts strike again. Plus you can't really hear it over Howard Shore's cheeseball score.

Sorry, not trying to be cynical. BUT I'M BEING CYNICAL. Not trying to ruin anyone's fun lol just talking some general shit.

yea the wargs look pissed me off from day one, they are more just like giant wolves in the books

>You wish now that our places had been exchanged
>that I had died and Boromir had lived...

Most goosebumpiest scenes of the trilogy:

1. Last March of the Ents - TT
2. Gandalf + Rohirrim charge - TT
3. Rohirrim charge at Minis Tirith - ROTK
4. Sams speech at Osgiliath - TT
5. Boromir's death - FOTR

>yes, yes I wish that
>bitch
denethor was harsh at times

man, there is something about Tolkien's prose in these moments that stirs something deep inside me

the man knew to write about glory for sure

almost, hate to say it but the Ford of Bruinen should be their, its very good, even if no Glorfindel

what
bruh
ents over battle of pelennor fields?????

i respect your opinion but i must disagree

So Jackson took Eomers emotional rage-filled words and put them in Theodens mouth?
No wonder I didn't like that scene in the movie.

What's this poster's endgame?

its not his only strength, the way he writes fights, especially the mines of moria, its just so fucking exciting, bizarre how it works, going along slowing reading long descriptions of acient places and people and then fuck theirs goblins, its done really well

>“In rode the Lord of the Nazgûl. A great black shape against the fires beyond he loomed up, grown to a vast menace of despair. In rode the Lord of the Nazgûl, under the archway that no enemy ever yet had passed, and all fled before his face.

>All save one. There waiting, silent and still in the space before the Gate, sat Gandalf upon Shadowfax: Shadowfax who alone among the free horses of the earth endured the terror, unmoving, steadfast as a graven image in Rath Dínen.

>"You cannot enter here," said Gandalf, and the huge shadow halted. "Go back to the abyss prepared for you! Go back! Fall into the nothingness that awaits you and your Master. Go!"

>The Black Rider flung back his hood, and behold! he had a kingly crown; and yet upon no head visible was it set. The red fires shone between it and the mantled shoulders vast and dark. From a mouth unseen there came a deadly laughter.

>"Old fool!" he said. "Old fool! This is my hour. Do you not know Death when you see it? Die now and curse in vain!" And with that he lifted high his sword and flames ran down the blade.

>And in that very moment, away behind in some courtyard of the city, a cock crowed. Shrill and clear he crowed, recking nothing of war nor of wizardry, welcoming only the morning that in the sky far above the shadows of death was coming with the dawn.
And as if in answer there came from far away another note. Horns, horns, horns, in dark Mindolluin's sides they dimly echoed. Great horns of the north wildly blowing. Rohan had come at last.”

this will forever be one of if not my favorite scene in all the LotR, so disappointed when they didn't do it, and then doubly disappointed that they did do it but totally fucked it up

as a pure goosebump moment, Last March of the Ents is godteir, nothing matches it

not him btw

I really liked the movies but I was disappointed they diminished the only good-aligned viking mother fucker in the story and gave his lines and actions to Theoden or others.

I suppose they had to because Aragorn stole Theoden's thunder at Helm's Deep.

"And epic showdowns will be neutered!"
Sauron getting CG overlaid with a generic troll

it was the right choice

>Those two are the best scenes in LotR
If we're talking strictly about action or combat scenes, then let's not forget Gandalf's fight with the Balrog, aka, "The greatest opening scene of any movie ever made."

youtube.com/watch?v=QaVFL1zm47Y

we are not strictly talking about action scenes we're talking about chilling fuck yea moments, Gandalf vs Balrog doesn't rate

their weren't any ents in the book either, they were hurons, also they were in the movie, just a really short scene
>extended ed of course

If it weren't for the score, it would be Independence Day-tier "TODAY WE FIGHT" garbage with fancy words

Yea a 2 movie build up kinda elevates it, but ok id4 speech is =/= theoden's

Ok

>if it weren't for the score
Yeah, and if it weren't for the costuming and props it'd be about 80 middle age kiwis running down a hill at a green screen.

EXACTLY
It's definitely shit