/dark/

/dark/
This thread is for the discussion of dark post-punk, gothic rock, darkwave, coldwave, and minimal synth. Old school or modern bands. Doesn't matter to me. I would encourage you to post some obscure or lesser-known bands, instead of just jerking off the same bands that always show up in these threads, but you don't have to No MGMT or Pale Waves or any of that shit. Other than that, anything goes, as long as its /dark/

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/_KVbMcwvuGI
youtube.com/watch?v=SLn-5r8j3tA
youtube.com/watch?v=KNHxwSp-6Og
boyharsher.bandcamp.com/album/lesser-man-ep
youtube.com/watch?v=m8F7xwM7a58
troller.bandcamp.com/album/graphic
youtube.com/watch?v=LHxS4O1R9pg
youtube.com/watch?v=8YDq6moPUws
youtube.com/watch?v=XjLLonKdoS4
youtube.com/watch?v=w-DUjNeh914
youtube.com/watch?v=E-vaHGhZCsE
youtube.com/watch?v=7mPwq_-qOcs
youtube.com/watch?v=sPH6hMbthAM
hearthis.at/kohhna/species2017promomix/
zanias.bandcamp.com/album/to-the-core
youtube.com/watch?v=OguHIyNNblM
youtube.com/watch?v=eyg9g7VcVZY
youtube.com/watch?v=3-tK3u0wtKU&feature=youtu.be
youtube.com/watch?v=68F5HwpnTDA
youtube.com/watch?v=HhtxqvAlIpo
youtube.com/watch?v=16gWfDi0sPk
youtube.com/watch?v=Mb895C_EcvA
youtube.com/watch?v=qGjK6hKahU8
youtube.com/watch?v=WPw7nlluRdc
youtube.com/watch?v=QT0apO8EIIw
youtube.com/watch?v=1q7s5fdgbng
youtube.com/watch?v=fxkuMznz1uA)
youtube.com/watch?v=e9zSNndkj38
youtube.com/watch?v=pmWlWcVgYBc
youtube.com/watch?v=caP3tAmMEbc
youtube.com/watch?v=fWIALnN8BeA
youtube.com/watch?v=E1JplpqHkPw
youtube.com/watch?v=-qNCjs-AMVo
youtube.com/watch?v=nGcG2y8MmT8
youtube.com/watch?v=6KT0ZO0XhCk
youtube.com/watch?v=9dmzFsbDOe8
youtube.com/watch?v=0P6Ujx1WkF0
youtube.com/watch?v=_yTq0pbcEp8
youtube.com/watch?v=PpP6prt-YaA
youtube.com/watch?v=dmvyd6Y1Yok
youtube.com/watch?v=aMBT7x-xo_Y
belaten.bandcamp.com/
systemsofromance.com/blog/
youtube.com/watch?v=mKxePo02KXs
youtube.com/watch?v=32bAX40GSUg
youtube.com/watch?v=aAycv31ow0E
youtube.com/watch?v=HTHIM5mGeaU
youtube.com/watch?v=s_04gypMQbU
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

This comp is unironically great. It's a lot of obscure Greek and French bands, if I remember correctly.
youtu.be/_KVbMcwvuGI

>tfw you will never be a part of the 80s goth scene
My city has a fucking CLASSIC goth/new-wave club that has been a part of our scene for decades, and is still open, but it's full of old people now. I imagine the same people who went there as teenagers in the 70s and 80s. I love going there, because it's a part of underground music history, but I'm always the youngest person in the club by at least 10 years. It feels like dancing with my parents or something lmao

She's got a black shirt, black skirt...

For god's sake Sup Forums this is my second time bumping this thread. Why is it so hard to discuss decent music here?
I bet if I made a thread about Young Nigga Xanax or whoever the rainbow-haired flavor of the week idiot is, it would reach the bump limit.

g-guys please like my irrelevant genre that i only like cuz of the cute girls!

Mate, there are like 2 cute girls in the entire goth/darkwave genre. The rest of it is dark atmospheric punk/synth music with dudes that sound like vampires lmao

Maybe if you weren't so restrictive.

youtube.com/watch?v=SLn-5r8j3tA

Did you even read my post before replying? OP can't bump his own thread. I didn't make the rules.
Besides, saying that MGMT and Pale Waves don't belong in a goth thread isn't being "so restrictive"
They're literally not goth music.

OPs can bump their own threads actually

youtube.com/watch?v=KNHxwSp-6Og

God, her voice is annoying. That's what she sounds like? I've literally never listened to this band, and had I known it was them, I wouldn't have clicked this link. I always assumed they were really mediocre shoegaze or something, and avoided them for that reason. This is another level of awful.

Anyone got anything similar to Boy Harsher?
boyharsher.bandcamp.com/album/lesser-man-ep

>favorites /dark/ artist/band by decades:
70s: Nico
80s: Bauhaus
90s: Nick Cave and The Bad Seeds
00s: Elend
10s: Croatian Amor (fav project from Loke Rahbek)

Top tier. Wish Malice Mizer never split up

youtube.com/watch?v=m8F7xwM7a58

troller.bandcamp.com/album/graphic
Track 7 is god tier.

Its a good Synthpop band.

>PAIN
>PAIN
>BREAKS THE RHYTHM
>BREAKS THE RHYTHM
>BREAKS THE RHYTHM
Good shit, user. Try Soft Moon.

>kagami...
Great Kozi track.
And yeah, it's a real shame. But you know, some of the best bands didn't last for long, and didn't left a million albums. MM's 4 studio albums are all amazing, and different to each other.
Memoire is a timeless goth rock classic
youtube.com/watch?v=LHxS4O1R9pg

One of their best early tracks. They always kept reinventing themselves and adapted so many original styles.

I always wonder what an album in this style would be like, had they lasted a year or two more:
youtube.com/watch?v=8YDq6moPUws

youtube.com/watch?v=XjLLonKdoS4

Yeah, they always kept evolving. I can't think of any MM song I outright dislike. Even the sappy chanson pop songs like Premier Amour or Claire are musically interesting.
I remember back in the day there was a rumoured release of a full lenght album, I think at one point it appeared on some online shop listing, amazon or something. It had all the 3 final maxi-singles including their b-sides, and one new song called Maria (which some speculate was turned into "forbidden" on Moi dix Mois).
So basically you can make your own MM 5th album if you put all the singles and b-sides together and add M10M's forbidden, and at least have an idea of what their new era would have been like.
All these last singles were so good.

Some shit from bananaland.

youtube.com/watch?v=w-DUjNeh914

youtube.com/watch?v=E-vaHGhZCsE

youtube.com/watch?v=7mPwq_-qOcs

youtube.com/watch?v=sPH6hMbthAM

I adore Premier Amour and Claire, they're very defining of that period of MM. I can think of one I don't like though (itsuwari no musette), but that is seriously it.

I didn't know it was speculated that Forbidden was originally a MM song. I'll follow your tip and compile all the singles and B-sides into an album playlist, since I own them all. Very glad to be able to talk to good vocal fans like you since it's so rare. I honestly think Malice Mizer had something very special as an art rock band, and their will to always change it up and progress make them one of my absolute favourite bands, but it's quite difficult to explain to people irl since if they search for it they'll just find some cringy 2006 blog or youtube video.

I like itsuwari no musette, it has that carnival, waltzy sound Közi likes so much.
But from Voyage, my favorite tracks ought to be Shi no butou and Tsuioku no kakera, which are admittedly the less "voyage-like" of the bunch, and sound more like something from memoire (which actually were, both these songs were from the Tetsu era but didn't got a studio release until after Gackt joined, same as Ma cherie).
And yeah I think fans came up with that theory because forbidden's chorus has "Maria" on the lyrics. I think it's possible.
And yeah I agree, MM were very special.
The past several years, Mana, Közi and Yu-ki have been performing at the Dis Inferno events. No Klaha though, even Mana tweeted that he doesn't know about the whereabouts of him, seems he tried to contact him.
Közi was the vocalist in these reunions.
Discussing MM is indeed difficult nowadays. Most older fans (on scape forums) have already discussed everything to death and only care about news about the artists' solo careers, and it's understandable. And on any other place on the internet people will just lump MM as another faggy VK band.
/cgl/ has Mana has their God, but they mostly like him because of Moi-meme-Moitie. Sometimes there's some good VK threads on /cgl/ though, but it's rare.

Paradise Lost and Type O Negative are nice, especially Type O.

I think it's kind of funny how the very Közi track itsuwari no musette is followed by perhaps the most Mana track of the whole MM catalogue, nps ngs, and I think perhaps that's the magic of MM. Mana and Közi are both brilliant songwriters and have great ideas, but are best when they aren't completely free to do exactly what they want. Moi dix Mois is almost great, but takes itself way too seriously, while Közi's later project are very good, but still isn't as amazing as his MM songs except Innermost, which might be the best of his catchy songs, and sounds kind of like a 2000s Merveilles song.

They even have an official 25th anniversary concert in september with Kamijo on vocals. I've even considered going there, you never know if they'll arrange something like that again.

The Batcave in London? Portland maybe? Am intrigued. Sounds peng anyway.

Here's a mix I threw together which starts off with a lot of retro-darkwave revivalist stuff:

hearthis.at/kohhna/species2017promomix/

could you be more basic?

zanias.bandcamp.com/album/to-the-core

2016, rides the lone between oldschool gothy-ness and being fresh as fuck very well. Production and vocal mixing is fucking lush,

who the fuck thinks mgmt is anything but neo-psyche

share yours & educate me pleeeeeeeeease

Yeah, the balance between Mana and Kozi songwriting is what make MM great.
I also wish Yu-ki wrote more stuff, Syunikiss was really good.
I liked M10M a lot when they first formed and released the first and second album, but eventually I found Mana's composition style to be a bit stale, and singles like Lamentful Miss didn't really do much for me. Though he still has the occassional genius track.
Kozi I actually love his solo project, even on the same level as MM sometimes. I also liked how he kept evolving his sound, Loki n' Roll sounds very different from Katharsis, yet both are undoubtely very Kozi. I also liked his bands ZIZ and XA-VAT, but sometimes it feels he's holding back and not really pushing his own potential. I wish there was a 3rd solo LP.
And yeah I'm also considering going on September, but I doubt I will be able to.

Funny, I was having a convo with a mate about this on facebook yesterday:

youtube.com/watch?v=OguHIyNNblM
youtube.com/watch?v=eyg9g7VcVZY
youtube.com/watch?v=3-tK3u0wtKU&feature=youtu.be
youtube.com/watch?v=68F5HwpnTDA
youtube.com/watch?v=HhtxqvAlIpo
youtube.com/watch?v=16gWfDi0sPk
youtube.com/watch?v=Mb895C_EcvA
youtube.com/watch?v=qGjK6hKahU8
youtube.com/watch?v=WPw7nlluRdc
youtube.com/watch?v=QT0apO8EIIw
youtube.com/watch?v=1q7s5fdgbng (and the techno remix from the mighty techno-goth Ancient Methods: youtube.com/watch?v=fxkuMznz1uA)
youtube.com/watch?v=e9zSNndkj38
youtube.com/watch?v=pmWlWcVgYBc
youtube.com/watch?v=caP3tAmMEbc
youtube.com/watch?v=fWIALnN8BeA
youtube.com/watch?v=E1JplpqHkPw

just a few of the highlights of that whole thread.

>tfw i have that exact same toyota celica

I agree. M10M started very as a very colourful baroque/french pop take on Emperor, but it seems Mana had already done everything he could with the concept after Nocturnal Opera or maybe even Beyond the Gate and stopped progressing like they did in MM. Juka was a much more charismatic vocalist than Seth as well. I'm sure Mana knows this too as he seems very anxious about making new music, not having released any new material since 2010(?). It's kind of sad how Gackt is still perhaps Japan's biggest star, while Közi does small shows and Mana is basicly percieved as just a fashion icon that does music too. I really wish they could get MM together fulltime, possibly with Közi on vocals, but at this point I doubt it will happen.

Yeah I was listening to BtG just now and it's still good. Unmoved is such a good song.
Yeah I think I stopped caring about M10M after that. Dixanadu didn't really do much, if at all, for me. I should listen to it again though.
Juka was a great vocalist but it still pains me to see him trying to growl (by Mana's request). Juka is a very smooth and calm vocalist. Seth is more of a rock and roll type of guy and also can actually sing really good, but for some reason his performance on M10M is not that great, I agree. Have you heard Seth's older bands? After Image and Amadeus. They are really great. Brain Hacker was also really good and severely underrated.
Gackt has went through too many bizarre phases I don't even know what to think anymore. He's now into cryptocurrency business, I don't know if he has released any music lately.
And yeah it's a shame neither Kozi or Mana could make it "big" again, Mana is taking too long to release the new M10M album, and Kozi seems to be too busy with many different projects, but none of them seems to be strong enough.
A proper MM revival with Kozi on vocals would be a dream.

I personally think Gackt didn't do anything particularly interesting after Malice Mizer. Le Ciel was a great MM song, but his solo stuff is just blatant jpop without any of the appeal MM has in my opinion. Regarding Közi, I think at this point he could have just started a new project with Mana would be a dream even if it weren't supposed to be Malice Mizer, if they are afraid a MM-reuinion wouldn't live up to the hype. I've gotten the impression that Mana isn't very easy to work with though, so maybe that's the problem, but I'm just speculating.

Yeah, Gackt's solo career was disappointing but a lot of people love it, even MM fans.
Mars is not a bad album and it has one MM-ish song (illness illusion), but yeah he just went for a very mainstream jpop/jrock sound. I much prefer Tetsu's post-MM stuff like Zigzo or nil, than gackt's stuff. Klaha's solo works were also.... something else.
I agree Le Ciel is amazing though.
I think if Kozi and Mana ever team up together again, it has to be Malice Mizer. But yeah I also think Mana is not easy to work with, but it's good that Kozi and Mana get along again and are doing concerts together and even these mini-MM reunions. For a while, I remember they wouldn't talk to or about each other.
Speaking of MM, I really wish they'd release remasters of their old works, including the demo tapes and maybe the Matenrou stuff.

More -Not entry- Darky Synth like this?
youtube.com/watch?v=-qNCjs-AMVo
youtube.com/watch?v=nGcG2y8MmT8

I agree, I can't fathom how youtube.com/watch?v=6KT0ZO0XhCk Never made it onto anything available for purchase. This track is even better than anything on Memoire imo. Only seen some bootleg live footage of Matenrou, but even there you could tell they were very promising. I hope we'll see anything new from them, but it kind of seems like they're stepping up the frequency of the reunions. I guess we can only hope at this point.

>OHHHH OOH WOAAH
>YOUR CIIIIIITY LIES IN DUUUUUUST

thoughts??

youtube.com/watch?v=9dmzFsbDOe8

youtube.com/watch?v=0P6Ujx1WkF0

youtube.com/watch?v=_yTq0pbcEp8

youtube.com/watch?v=PpP6prt-YaA

youtube.com/watch?v=dmvyd6Y1Yok

youtube.com/watch?v=aMBT7x-xo_Y

Looking for gothy hardcore recs. Stuff like TSOL, Rudimentary Peni, Slimy Member, or Exist Order.

what labels or whatever do you guys pay attention to for more "contemporary" projects and releases?

I stumbled onto belaten.bandcamp.com/ a while back and have been rooting through their releases. Three Winters is probably my favourite find so far.

Also I found this blog that uploads obscurities and other cool stuff, it's a great site. systemsofromance.com/blog/

anyone got any links to anything by the KVB? can't find anything in the archives...

jfc you have a goth milf club in your city and you're COMPLAINING about it?
what city?

why would you ask for thoughts on an album acclaimed literally everywhere

Fucking fantastic. Is it /dark/ tho?

that last track was really good wow

good taste, your mate is probably cool

contributing with some hot (cold) songs i've had on repeat recently
youtube.com/watch?v=mKxePo02KXs
youtube.com/watch?v=32bAX40GSUg
youtube.com/watch?v=aAycv31ow0E

False, do not entry.

>Only seen some bootleg live footage of Matenrou
Actually what you saw was an official recording of a live from a V.A. VHS called Nervous Night. Sadly there are not bootleg videos of Matenrou (as there are quite a few of tetsu-era MM, thankfully).
There's a lot of great Tetsu-era songs that were never recorded on studio. IMO some of them are also better or on par with the songs on Memoire.
youtube.com/watch?v=HTHIM5mGeaU

bump

>dark post-punk, gothic rock, darkwave, coldwave, and minimal synth

does everyone forget about this album?
youtube.com/watch?v=s_04gypMQbU
also does Have A Nice Life count as dark? and is there more stuff like them?

He could have said Siousixe and the Banshees

>does Have A Nice Life count as dark
Fuck, good question. I'd say no purely because they barely touch the aesthetic. As for bands that sound like them, you could try Planning for Burial.