Why is it so hard for prog to be cool?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=m8uhvZblhW4
youtube.com/watch?v=OfR6_V91fG8
theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2017/09/the-whitest-music-ever/534174/
clyp.it/uwpezqlr
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Because it's made by nerds for nerds

Because fantasy is too overwhelming for the reality-focused Normies, who left their imaginations when they were 10 years old.

You're just a soyboy. Prog is cool as fuck.

>t.nerd

I thought Sup Forums was essentially a collection of nerds preserving nerd culture.

>Prog is cool as fuck.
No.

What do you find cool? Probably Tyler the Creator, or something. Lol.

>Prog can never be coo-

>implying this isn't a hundred times cooler than prog

youtube.com/watch?v=m8uhvZblhW4

it really isn't
youtube.com/watch?v=OfR6_V91fG8

Kiss my ass

>old british dudes
>cool
cmon dude i love kc but lets not pretend here

>implying that's not some of the hardest shit you ever heard
the buildup on that song is pure kino

This but unironically unironically.

>progfags seriously think anybody wanna listen to ten-to-twenty of bullshit wank disguised as a "song"

go back to kanye general please

Because people keep making and posting stupid fucking images like the one in your OP

>t.newfag

I think it's kind of cool.

prog rock is the whitest of all music. the fantastical detachment and focus on technical skill over any other aspect of songwriting reflects white boys' wild lack of imagination for real world issues and hilariously inflated sense of self worth. it says nothing of worth as an entire genre except "hey check out how cool we are at music!" *17 minute guitar solo*and that is deeply and profoundly uncool

FUG WH*DEOIDS :DDDDDDDDDD

>whitest
by opening with that statement, you automatically made your argument a nonargument, and rather a slew of buzzwords poised as an argument. Also, if anything is going to be the """"""""""""""""""""""whitest"""""""""""""""""""""" music, it would be classical or european folk music, not a subgenre of rock, which is a genre of music with roots in music that was primarily made by black people.

Looks like I have to listen to prog.

People thought this was pretty cool. In the last decade at least.

i am sorry did i upset your very gentle white boy feelings? go cry about it. where are all the prog rock poc?

Lmao what a queer, I'd post a real response to this mangled mess of words but for that you actually need to post an actual argument

>pure kino

queer is right you worthless bootlicker, go crywank to your sick prog rock time signatures

Better than listening to your retarded nigger music

I don't understand people who dislike prog and use insults like "wank".
You're basically saying "your music is more complex than the music I listen to and I don't like that". That's just retarded.

>real world issues
durr durr lyrics

complexity at the expense of musicality is bad pal

show up to a punk show and get glassed

Good prog is cool, there's just a lot of shitty prog out there also.

Ok i see this is bait, you're literally repeating the same sentiment from that god awful article. you fucking faggot.

That's true for every genre, the vast majority is garbage and only a few rise to the top

what article? it's a pretty obvious argument because prog rock is lame as fuck, but keep listening to grown ass men singing about aliens in 16/3 time i guess

I'm pretty sure the article being referenced was this theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2017/09/the-whitest-music-ever/534174/

rofl i have never read that but i am also likely far from the first person to make this argument. because it's true

Lol nigger

king gizz is neither prog nor cool

theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2017/09/the-whitest-music-ever/534174/

Also punk is retarded music for retarded people.The fact that you can't seem to comprehend how people might get invested in complex music just illustrates this point. Punk is repetitive and uninspired while prog is probably one of the most interesting and diverse genres in music.

prog is emotionally and intellectually vapid and being really good at guitar doesn't make you a worthwhile artist. but i guess you wouldn't understand why someone would be mad enough to make punk music since you're clearly some sheltered white boy

It's funny that that author's writing style embodies all of the aspects of prog (or more accurately, his strawman of prog) that he hates. The article is all style and no substance, comprised of the author wanking to a thesaurus in order to find ever-longer words for "trash". Hell, the author barely even addresses the point he raises in the title.

>"Rap is embarrassing"
>proceeds to listen to prog at over the age of eighteen

Prog has so much promise, but God, it's so fucking corny. SO fucking corny and shitty.

Is prog the new(old) metal?

new gazpacho comes out in april
clyp.it/uwpezqlr

I definitely understand why someone would be mad enough to write song about it, I just wish punk musicians also bothered to make these songs any good. also don't pretend that prog didn't indulge itself in anger fueled social commentary, King Crimson's 21st Schizoid Man, Pink Floyd's Animals, Jethro Tull's Aqualung and Thick as a Brick. All these albums were written with anger and clear anti establishment rhetoric but unlike your stupid monkey music, they used some finesse to convey their emotions and social criticisms.

>King Crimson's 21st Schizoid Man, Pink Floyd's Animals, Jethro Tull's Aqualung and Thick as a Brick
are you literally fourteen?

I'm not the one listening to punk here

Pink Floyd were actually the only prog band that managed to be cool. I think the theme of a lot of prog is just too serious to seem cool. A lot of it lacks any humor whatsoever and comes across as grave. I think an album like Dirty Projector's Rise Above is somehow funnier than Close to the Edge. Also if anything pertains too much to the emotions of a gender will usually not connect with the other and seem uncool.

I just realized prog is why I can't be happy.

I can't get into much of it other than Van der Graaf Generator, the Nice and some parts of Henry Cow. Rapfags and that disgusting American punk tranny from the other thread should shut the fuck up though

Pretty much because it is inherently white and people don't think that's cool anymore

Jeez, never knew Shapiro was such a cute little manlet

Define "white," because prog is built entirely on blues rock principles. Most prog is an extension of. either blues or jazz.

I think when people call things "white" it usually turns out that they mean emotional. The fact that prog applies classical to rock could be where people start calling it white (which, if you want to know what the whitest genre really is, it's classical.)

Not really, Prog has more of a classical influence then it does blues or jazz.

I'd call it more classical than jazz influenced, I'm a layman when it comes to most prog, though.

stealing and bastardizing elements of black culture is the most white thing

>wank
Ah, so it's THAT discussion again

What's it like listening to prog? Knowing you'll never have a vagina wrapped around your dick?

Lucky me, that's gross

>cool
Sorry, no underage folks here

anything that isnt strictly anti-intellectual is pretentious wank for nerds, you queer

I wouldnt say that technical skill is the defining part of the genre but I would say that the music usually requires technical prowess to pull off.

But so does Bach. The music has more than a nursury rhyme level of complexity and therefore requires your attention to understand at more than a superficial level.

People with short attention spans will get NOTHING from it because they literally cannot comprehend it in its entirety.

The thing is most of the Prog artists could easily write a good pop song if they wanted to.

There are also many players attempting to create prog music that simply end up recording wanks with no purpose or meaning.

But actually progressive music is very good.

It is really cool. Still.

who cares what race the musicians are? is jazz now discreted as a genre because a large amount of jazz artists are black?

I feel like Jazz is too big to just be Jazz. I need more information on what type.

And no. Why dont african americans make more good jazz?

imagine the timeline where hip hop never happened. where would we be?

>prog rock is the whitest of all music
>inspired by jazz and black music traditions

kay

because modern progheads won't accept modern prog masterpieces

you are neither right nor correct

these all look like a bunch of nerds desu

This thread is about prog.

What's not prog about Skinny Fists?

everything

I've never even heard of skinny fists but I already hate you you pretentious twat

>This pleases the nu-male

siiiiick riffs though brah

Well that's not helpful, there are clearly some commonalities with prog. The classical influence, the long suites with extended instrumental passages, the emphasis on structure and form, all played with drums and bass and electric guitars. The desire to say something that can't be communicated in just a 4 minute pop song, while being not entirely willing to let go of all of pop music's visceral appeal (check the guitar solo in Static!) There's clearly something here that can be described as "prog", but prog is old and dusty and lame, and GYBE are cool. So we just need to figure out what the difference is.

you either haven't been here long or you don't realize they're talking about gybe

>16/3
>Not knowing BASIC music theory
Brainlet

>I have never even heard of skinny fists
??????