How do I enjoy Rap?

I've heard that Illmatic is a good introduction to rap, although I feel a lot of the instrumentation is very repetitive, as with a lot of other hip hop music. Is there anything I could listen to or do to enjoy rap music better, as sometimes a certain part of a song can be very encapsulating, I just cannot generally enjoy the music for a long period of time as it gets stale to me.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=2HI2Tl3ONAw
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Listen to The Suns Tirade.

drink enough promethazine and codeine to give yourself permanent brain damage

Well you've either got to be black or a soyboy to enjoy rap so I wouldn't worry about it OP

Listen to The College Dropout by Kanye or Madvilliany by Madvillian

Haha ur a soyboy
Haha ur a numale
Haha ur a cuck
Got em

give me the butter

I think The Low End Theory or Madvillany are a better introduction to Hip-Hop.
Illmatic works better if you're familiar with the genre and context.

Listen to old rap-rock weedlmao albums, then start listening to 90's shit from specific localities and figure out their flavors, then move on to listening to specific-specific flavors of rap.

just skip boom bap all together if u wanna listen to that shit just listen to big L if not skip straight to dipset if ur doing an nyc ting

Rap has a lot of subgenres, just dabble in some that sound interesting.

death grips - the money store
unironically

Good advice. Also i'd argue that most of Kendrick's stuff except for Damn could be what your looking since they usually have "big" sounding production and some variation in the songs.

MBDTF
Like seriously it's the "wtf i love hip-hop now" album

The Low End Theory is pretty repetitive though. Maybe try 3 Feet High And Rising by De La Soul?

You don't.
Is trash

bitchboy

Don't force yourself to listen to something you don't like. Simple as that.

Listen to Good kid maad city and MBDTF

how can you push your boundaries if you immediately turn off any music that you dont like

Not that guy but opening yourself up to new genres and forcing yourself to like something are two different things. If you do the latter you'll just end up liking the music based on what other people say about it and how they rate it rather than something you have an emotional connection to

if you like the music, you like it
thats how i see it man

Yes i understood your post the first time you made it

listen to kanye's discography, if not just a few songs off each album. he pretty much covers most kinds of rap (from the expiremental Yeezus to the soulful CD to the trap-inspired TLOP) if you don't like any of that, don't force yourself into hip hop.

Disregard this, Kanye is terrible.

Lol I kinda agree with you man and I really enjoy Kanye's work/contributions to hip-hop but this was exactly the response I was expecting

Plenty of people love hip hop but hate Kanye, so don't let that be your litmus test.

Just like "rock" there's so many subgenres in rap and "EDM". I can't listen to Illmatic type shit while I'm at work because I need to focus on it cause the lyrics are the important part. But I can put on some shitty Rick Ross verses if the beats are nice.

it will happen naturally if it's meant to be, dummy

this is effortless bait

you're not really supposed to pay too much attention to the instrumentation, it's all about the lyrics

The early wu tang group and solo stuff is like kind of like Illmatic but a lot more musically creative

Illmatic is actually a good introduction to rap, but you have to have something else break the ice first.
Listen to Operation Doomsday.

this

Grape drank and pants down around yo ankles

Ready to Die is the album that got me into hip hop, probably the most interesting to get into

Death grips is the only rap with any interesting instrumentation

Only listen to underground shit no one knows.
youtube.com/watch?v=2HI2Tl3ONAw

I don't want the juice

Thank you

Lmao if this wasnt bait.. you should listen to more hip-hop

I may be a pleb for this, but I can't listen to the older hip hop greats because I also find the beats way too repetitive. I like newer artists for the more varied beat production (not top 40 shit obviously).

Does sot makes you act like a sissy boy like him?

Hip hop is all about how a solo can flow over one beat, so if you expect variation in the drums/chords you can miss the points of interest. It works great as driving music. A lot of trap sounds only good drunk/high or in the car. Approach it that way. For standard listening, Some more production heavy stuff is a good intro, like Kanye or Kendrick, even death grips could work

Also Childish Gambino could be a good intro

why would you want to? it’s the bottom of the barrel of music genres

childish gambino is terrible
hip-hop for people who dont like hip-hop
dont listen to this clueless guy, op

kanye

Childish Gambino is absolutely hip hop for people who don't like hip hop, that's why I said it would be a good introduction for someone who can't get into it