Why does Sup Forums hate this album?

I don't think it deserved best rap album, but I thought it was a decent album overall.

just classic popularity backlash
despite being kendrick's weakest release (I also think it's decent) it's easily his most successful, and I can sympathise with people who are frustrated with that

probably the combination of hype and political content in his music
but it was enjoyable imo yeah

I don't hate it im just not bothered about it

Too popular

What do you mean hate, were are saying that it's the worst Kendrick Lamar album but it's still better then something like Culture 1 or Wolf.
It's hard to follow up TPAB and the fact that it got a decent 7 isn't really helping, but the problem is that it's one of the most popular rap albums of the year.
btw people in Sup Forums have an opinion on Section 80 not this. Most people here like this album and now they are complaining that this didn't won record of the year.

I agree with the anons above. Kendrick's weakest album, but still solid. DUCKWORTH is the best track on the album IMO.

His weakest release is GKMC.

I do agree that TPAB is hard to follow up, unless it's untitled unmastered of course. The grooves on that one are some of the best in 2010s hip-hop.

>DUCKWORTH is the best track on the album IMO.
A man with taste here.

9th Wonder is the most underrated man in the Hip Hop community.

couple things
>the cover is shit
>the rerelease for the album is probably the dumbest fucking thing i've seen in music in quite some time
>retread of old material, kendrick's not really bringing anything new to the table, not really being creative or innovative
>at the same time, appeals too much to modern pop sensibility so that we get BANGERZ like DNA and the like or cringy shit like LOVE, which honestly feels out of place for what kendrick does with his music (and in light of his appearances on so many random shitty pop songs, questions how genuine he is as an artist)
>natural anger at how kdot is only now allowed to be a mainstream breakout despite his earlier, better projects
Sup Forums doesn't hate this album, but there's a very vocal minority against anything new and popular. still, a lot of the dislike is justified. the rerelease in particular is more than enough to make people avoid it

he sold out, I have to hate it on principle

Yea. I still like some of the track on their own merit, but I agree that when a guy sells out as hard as Kendrick has (feat. on Taylor Swift? Really?), it's hard not to be skeptical of whatever her puts out.

*he puts out

Does he do that "urban" music where you rhyme the word "nigga" with trigga and figga?

Yeah, no thanks.

plebs and brainlets alike STILL haven't had enough time to catch up. UU and Damn are Kendrick's best projects

This but XXX

This along with other nig nog music has the same beat, snare kick, vocals are nasally, over all fucking garbage. At least these niggers dont talk about hookers and money. I like hip hop to an extent but its like acdc, same beat just different lyrics.

I hate rap in general
Don't care who it is, still degenerate.

its certainly not as good as TPAB or GKMC, but you really think Section 80 and overly dedicated are better? I don't think this album gets enoug credit for being the statment on uncertainty of morals, ideologies, and beliefs that it is. :/

It's inconsistent (LOYALTY and HUMBLE in particular stand out as really poor tracks on an otherwise decent album), and, especially compared to TPAB, it's unambitious. There's something disappointing about Kendrick being content just making a normal rap album. It feels a bit too commercial for my liking at times, though admittedly there are some highlights. All in all a forgettable release, and well-deserving of the hate.

does anyone disagree tho? who says that anything but maybe FEAR and XXX are better except plebs?

Because this board is full ov rockists that only like albums for "muh concepts". They don't like albums that don't need to be played all the way through to be enjoyed.

take out LOVE, LOYALTY, and probably HUMBLE and you have an amazing album

How would taking out tracks make an album any better? That would just make it worse.

Or maybe we have more than a fourth grade vocabulary and can understand and appreciate real music not drum beats and Dr. Seuss broken English.

I really think this Kendrick subcounciously made this album for himself as opposed to his fans and the communities that he's involved in like TPAB was. It's reflecting on his uncertainty of what he's said before reguarding his morals and beliefs. I don't think that makes it any better of an album than it is but I think it shuld still be recognized.

Real rockist post right there

thats the case with so many albums, youcould make TLOP a 10 by just reducing it to an EP. These 3 songs really disrupt the album and the message it tries to convey

The fact that TLOP it is a mess and disjointed IS the message it's trying to convey. You don't get the album at all.

fucking nerd

Hip hop isn't even meant to be this theatrical genre like jazz or rock. As long as all the tracks are good, it's a good hip hop album. The rockists here don't understand that. If the tracks weren't good record wouldn't have had the popularity it did. Many people that liked TPAB and MBDTF aren't even hip hop fans. If you don't understand the appeal of DAMN. you are not part of the hip hop community.

no the fuck it's not. the idea that TLOP tries to convey is the distance between Kanye's traditional christian black family life and his new boujee Kardashian life. you can see it crystal clear in the album cover and in very basic song lyrics (I love kanye) the concept the music is going for is the messy one. But in a Pablo Picasso type of messy. Not just a 13 y/o boys room type messy. thats not the point I was making with TLOP tho, none of the songs really take away from the idea of the album, some of them are just too messy. When I was talking about ideas being disrupted I was only talking about DAMN.

I can see people being disappointed though, because, if anyone, Kendrick has proved that rap CAN be theatrical and give coherant messages throughout an album with GKMC and TPAB.

And I just read the rest of your reply and it turns out I just reiterated what you said.

>Hip hop isn't even meant to be this theatrical genre like jazz or rock.
Does it really matter what hip-hop was originally "meant to be"? Innovation in music is inevitable. I'm sure purists of the late 60s and early 70s argued rock & roll wasn't supposed to be a theatrical genre. If rock artists had listened to them, countless great albums would cease to exist. Sure, good songs = good album, but sometimes an extra hint of creativity can really bring an album from good to great. Even then, what does that have to do with DAMN.? My problem with DAMN. is that not all of the songs are particularly good. And no, popular doesn't necessarily mean good.

The people here just don't give a DAMN.

it's a 7

No

There's a swear literally as the album title and that makes me feel sinful.

I'd keep LOYALTY., but agree about removing the other two

hehehe Kendrick has a funny voice

LOYALTY has such little to do with the rest of the album tho

I like it though

Wanna know why it's called DAMN.? Cause that's the first thing you say when hearing the first track

the 3 songs plus the heart part IV wouldve made a great EP leading up to DAMN

I don't understand the whole wickedness vs weakness thing.

a lot of people would say DNA but that's obviously the reddit choice

I'd say DAMN represents the album the best and its a great song, not the best tho

I listen to hip hop/trap all day and I can't stand this clown since Maad City. He's a lame

Extremely good album. Probably his best album purely theme-wise,. TPAB is better as a whole but is a lot more to digest first few listens. You could argue GKMC has a better story to it, but i would argue all of his three latest albums are extremely different and all really really good.

Let's face it this is probably the most important hip-hop album he has ever made, he truly got the mainstream attention that he deserves. Fuck cares how pop this was from time to time, his next release is what REALLY matters anyway, he can basically do whatever the fuck he wants and still get the recognition he deserves on that project.

>DAMN
fuck i meant DNA

>Hip hop isn't even meant to be
what the fuck are you even talking about?
Hip-hop can be whatever the fuck it wants to be, that's the beauty of music you fucking retard. Whatever's good becomes recognized and remembered. Fuck outta here

>His weakest release is gkmc

Objectively false desu

I don't hate it, but I found it very dissapointing

>nignog who hates white people and makes shitty modern hip hop
Yeah, I wonder why it's hated