Who is the most iconic musician of this decade? and why?

who is the most iconic musician of this decade? and why?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Art_Angels#Year-end_lists
youtube.com/results?sp=CANQFA%3D%3D&q=joni mitchell
youtube.com/results?sp=CANQFA%3D%3D&q=kate bush
youtube.com/results?sp=CANQFA%3D%3D&q=pj harvey
youtube.com/results?sp=CANQFA%3D%3D&q=tori amos
youtube.com/results?sp=CANQFA%3D%3D&q=bjork
nme.com/blogs/nme-blogs/grimes-glastonbury-set-proved-bowie-and-prince-s-maverick-spirit-lives-on
baeblemusic.com/musicblog/1-19-2016/is-grimes-the-true-spiritual-successor-to-david-bowie.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

who tf is that

Probably that rapper dude that died before he even did anything significant. Or Psy.

What the fuck is the obsession with grimes? she's not that good and she's definitely not attractive so what the fuck?

A thread died for this.

Grimes

probably Claire Boucher

waifufags

/thread

Reminder to be nice to Grimes.

i had to smoke to deal with that

who's the ugly one now

keep lying to yourself
perfect answer
good advice, brandon

how are things buddy?

go fuck yourself

It’s unironically Taylor Swift. She went from a cute curly haired girl named Taylor to a made up, put on persona called Tylor Swift in the past decade

have you given grimes and james your money yet?

be nice to brandon

lil b

and all the other musicians will agree

This is probably the case in terms of popularity among most people, unfortunately. In terms of the music world it's pic related if you count mbdtf as this decade.

but he does nothing for me, you're abusing people to put their trust and confidence in him

im staring to think she was put on this planet to take us to a post Nietzsche age
lets all love GRIMES

Grimes a shit

be nice to grimes, mofo

she needs attention like a special needs child

grimes understands the human condition
pleb go back to work

bit pretentious

I disagree on both fronts but not everyone has to like every artist.

Anyway, for those who do like her music, a friend asked where to start with it.

I suggested Visions, then Art Angels, then backwards from Visions (Darkbloom, Halifaxa, Geidi Primes) if interested. Then waiting for her next album.

Does this seem like a good order?

bump

God i wish i could deck you. This is what happens when delusional pricks don't socialize with other people enough to realize how much of a laughing stock they are. you could really use some experiential education

Nice try OP

it depends on that person's taste. if s/he likes:
- energetic pop: art angels
- electronic: visions or darkbloom
- dreampop: halfaxa
- weird exprimental stuff/folk: geidi primes.

grimes trying to destroy a droid

i think my dog has autism

overall, does mu/ love or hate grimes?

you tell me

She is a very divisive figure on Sup Forums. There is no consensus. Stop trying to find one.

>found the troglodyte
cultivated spirits don't "wish to deck" anyone.

She's not iconic, i doubt anyone out of this music circlejerk know about her.

What about these people?

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Art_Angels#Year-end_lists

Elton John
Purity Ring
Phantogram
Julian Casablancas (The Strokes)
Halsey
FKA Twigs
St. Vincent
Charli XCX
Tegan and Sara
Shirley Manson (Garbage)
M83
Sleigh Bells
Sky Ferreira
Ellie Goulding
Chelsea Wolfe
Chairlift
Lorde
Haim
Taylor Swift
Katy Perry
Janelle Monae
Flying Lotus
Nigel Godrich (Radiohead producer)
Christine and the Queens
Four Tet
Carrie Brownstein
Ladytron
M.I.A.
Adele
Madonna
Lady Gaga (she even hired Grimes' collaborator Bloodpop)
Kathleen Hanna
Rihanna
Warpaint
Lauren Mayberry (Chvrches)

Followers on Facebook:
Grimes: 959K
fb/actuallygrimes

Bjork: 3.2M
fb/bjork

Kate Bush: 675K
fb/katebush

Tori Amos: 865K
fb/toriamos

Joni Mitchell: 353K
fb/jonimitchellcom

PJ Harvey: 936K
fb/PJHarvey

Her biggest hit is Genesis and it has almost 50 (fifty!) million views on Youtube. Compare that to:
Joni Mitchell: Both Sides Now (Live, 1970) - about 5 million views
youtube.com/results?sp=CANQFA%3D%3D&q=joni mitchell

Kate Bush: Wuthering Heights - about 27 million views
youtube.com/results?sp=CANQFA%3D%3D&q=kate bush

PJ Harvey: Henry Lee (feat. Nick Cave) - 8.5 million views
youtube.com/results?sp=CANQFA%3D%3D&q=pj harvey

Tori Amos: Smells Like Teen Spirit - 6 million views
youtube.com/results?sp=CANQFA%3D%3D&q=tori amos

Bjork: All Is Full of Love - 18 million views
youtube.com/results?sp=CANQFA%3D%3D&q=bjork

Grimes is hardly a literal who. One song of her has more views than the biggest hits of Joni Mitchell, Bjork, Tori Amos, PJ Harvey COMBINED.

I totally see your point. I was approaching it as “Who is THE icon?” Kanye is more or less the Dre of the decade

Kanye, and it's not even fucking close
>huge celebrity across media
>constantly in the news for all kinds of shit
>drops some of the most popular albums of the decade
>albums enjoyed by radio listeners and music critics alike
>dabbling in politics, fashion, reality tv etc
name one (1) current musician on his celebrity status

i love her lots

Ellie Goulding is garbage, why the fuck does she have so many views

bump

I hope that she's sleeping well... my sweet princess.

no real musical talent
special snowflake/attention whore
does not bathe/leaves body hair unclean
waifu to desperate retarded masturbators
she is absolute human garbage

why

lmao

:(

If any of you unironically think grimes is the most influential artist of the decade it's time to take a shower get, go outside and get off Sup Forums

it's not a primative urge. i want to hit you because it would help you

take a shower

Claire is my friend

Whether you waifu fags like it or not Kendrick Lamar is definitely the most iconic artist of the decade.

Obviously Panda Bear

grimes isn't as good as you think she is and she has no influence

yup

I used to care about his music

Person Pitch was 11 years ago

I like the song Cosplay

Nice conversation

Hi james

>caring this much about pop culture

enough about yourself. stop being so envious.

Taylor Swift tbf

Grimes!

>why
Grimes is the logical progression on the timeline of history straight from Renaissance to modernity. She is the second coming of Lady Mary herself, prophet from the Gods after Jesus and Mohammad. Her music comes from the heavens, righteous flow of pure, undistilled inspiration.

You look at Grimes and you see EVERYTHING you need to see, experience everything you need to experience, appreciate everything you need to appreciate, when it comes to creativity, arts, style, fashion and music. There haven't been anybody like her, there will NEVER be anybody like her. People will be speaking of her for centuries, because she brought everything needed to capture about pop culture, all the GOOD without any of the bad.

There are MILLIONS upon MILLIONS of young girls all over this huge fucking ass planet right now who are copying her every single move, her mannerisms, anime personality, style, music, her attitude. She guides all the lost lambs with her soothing voice and her synths. Female version of David Bowie has arrived and here to stay. Think about it. She does everything herself - cover art, music production, mastering, video directing, concept design, singing, instruments, and even has enough in her left to produce music for other artists out there. She doesn't even do drugs anymore, thus she's not in a haze or sluggish but has overflowing energy that sets her out to be at her peak productivity.

Fuck Katy Perry or all these minor pretentious "gamer gurl" hipster types like Zooey Dechanel except singing, and fuck the Lauren Southerns or what else people bow down to as their muses. Fuck that shit. Only one you need, only one ANYBODY really needs, is the One and Only truly skilled, able and inspired Artist put to this world to take all the styles and attitudes created by modernity, the achievements in pop, rock and rap, to combine them together to be the Ambassador of Art that we all need though don't really deserve.

Behold - Grimesy :3

either google's failing me or you actually wrote this

why haven't you shot yourself yet?

>Female version of David Bowie
HHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA...wew lad..that's some mighty prime pasta

Female version of David Bowie minus the fantastic music, the album sales, the slew of movies that he acted in, the millions of fans that he played to in concerts over the decades. Yeah...Grimy Clair could not even be the female version of David Bowie in two of her lifetimes.
She and you should do the planet a favor and end it all right now.

>mighty prime pasta
>he thinks it's just a copypasta
nme.com/blogs/nme-blogs/grimes-glastonbury-set-proved-bowie-and-prince-s-maverick-spirit-lives-on
baeblemusic.com/musicblog/1-19-2016/is-grimes-the-true-spiritual-successor-to-david-bowie.html

Death Grimpes

Iconic generally implies house hold name not goddess of a niche group of autists

Obviously Kanye West, whether you like him or not.

Bingo!!!

iconic:
>a person or thing regarded as a representative symbol of something.
Musicians who stick out as individuals are iconic. Popularity has nothing to do with it.

see

That order worked for me
I’m pretty sure she’s kinda mainstream now, I wore a grimes shirt to class and a guy from my law school commented on how he likes grimes too

Somehow a grimesfaggot autist stopped masturbating to Claire's jpegs long enough to shitpost elsewhere.
When will you accept reality and understand that nowhere in this realm or any other will your ugly slacker waifu milk your dicklet for your genetically deficient seed.
Now slither back to your mommy's basement for your next hand date with Grimy's attention-whore photos.

Grimes doesn't stick out well enough to be known in any musical sub culture that I know of let alone the main stream. Sticking out as a musician should be more about influence to other musicians and building the art form not refusing to bathe

Not the most satisfactory answer, but it really is either Kanye, Drake, Taylor Swift, Adele or Kendrick in terms of what most people know.

Off the top of my head, i guess in the underground it probably would be DG i guess.

If she bathes once a year it still counts as a bath right?
But mostly, we accept her as the Mediocre Unwashed

Les claypool in my opinion is hands down most iconic. he built the art form, broke the norm with the traditional band setup and is involved in many bands with completely different sound featuring some of the most talented musicians of all time including buckethead, trey anastasios, Stewart Coplan, and Sean Lennon. He constantly has important messages and brings up old artists that inspired him and gives them credit where it was due. He also furthers music sub culture which is important otherwise we are all stuck listening to mainstream nickelback shit. Not to mention his complete and utter mastery of his instrument playing it in a way that is unique for millions of people that play bass and delivers completely unique vocals.

Colonel claypool has my vote

No disputes? Then it's settled

Official mu copy pasta thread

If Claire Boucher does not release an album this year, I WILL be obligated to be very RUDE to her.

daily reminder grimes missed her chance. Every day she gets closer to 30 and pop does not like old women. The music industry even got her on the suicide squad soundtrack and she couldn't break through. Hot shrieking garbage.

even as a Grimes stan I wouldn't say most influential/iconic (that's almost certainly yeezus) but she has produced some of the straight-up best music of the decade

probably would've helped if she had been on the soundtrack for a decent movie

The movie was shit but normies fucking loved it.
Some songs on visions were really enjoyable, but none of it is original. She literally just sucks on the tit of 80's tropes.

Shit, so do most popular artists of the decade. No one outside of hip hop and some electronic artists is doing much of anything you can't directly trace back to earlier influences

Raise your standards.

The question is why the fuck did Grimes ever get a chance in the first place? She's not good, she's not "good" by pop standards either, so where did this shit come from? I feel like this is some hype beast stuff, like something that only has value to people because they perceive that it has value to others. Maybe it was a clever con but like the total lack of merit is concerning.

I defy anyone to link to a single song by Grimes that isn't objectively bad.

nme thought viva brother was the second coming of britpop, fuck those degenerates

Grimes doesn't have any bad songs