*deletes jebus walking on the water*

*deletes jebus walking on the water*

ahhhhh much better

Other urls found in this thread:

soundcloud.com/user-871230011/cross-faded-piece-of-mind
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

that song is literally the only song i have ever deleted from an album

Why? I always thought it was a decent song.

it’s one step away from the kind of bullshit grandpa jebediah used to sing on his porch

nobody in the band other than gano even likes it

I think he was taking a page from The Velvet Underground (in his own way). Recall that after White Light/White Heat, filled with debauchery, violence, and noise, their third album was tender and had downright religious themes of redemption. The lyrics from "Jesus":

>Jesus, help me find my proper place
>Jesus, help me find my proper place
>Help me in my weakness
>Cause I'm falling out of grace
>Jesus
>Jesus

Obviously, "Jesus Walking on the Water" is much more upbeat and hysterical, something you might hear from a band at a Christian revivalist picnic, but that's well within the style of the Femmes music. In the way that Lou Reed turned from nihilism to tender empathy from WL/WH to their s/t album, Gano turned from his inward wallowing in juvenile sexual frustrations to an outward pursuit of enlightenment through religious understanding.

but it’s a shitty song

the first four songs of the album are all thematically tied together, gano's character is going from his initial sin to repentance to forgiveness

there should have been another song where the repentance was made more explicit but that's not the fault of jesus walking on the water

Agreed
The album isnt as thematically cohesive as it should be but that song makes sense in context

too bad it sounds like shit

yes we understand that you dislike the song

validate my opinion

this is one of the scariest album covers of all time. just take away the words and its even better.

your opinion is bad
the bad song is actually sweet misery blues

Man, I saw the hallowed ground cover and hoped someone had decent taste, apparently not.

Love that song. It works as a pallet cleanser, plus the forced wholesomeness is the only way to get even creepier after Never Tell

are you christians?

oh boy here we go

>forced wholesomeness
Gano was a devout christian and he meant every word he sung in that song.

nice trips but you don’t listen to gospel music do you? why listen to gospel music just because the violent femmes wrote it?

Doesn't mean it still doesn't sound forced. Especially in context

Exactly why it’s a weird song to like especially if you don’t subscribe to it’s message.

Because it makes sense in the context of the album? Why does it annoy you so much?

it’s overt and boring and your opinion is wrong

you have made no coherent arguments so far, you just keep saying "its boring", "its bad"
why do you dislike the song? you can make better arguments if you are specific

I didn't like the song at first either, but it grew more and more on me over the years and I love it now.

This user
gets it. It's joyous and sincere, not ironic or forced. Once you hear it that way, its terrific really.

Why would I enjoy a song blatantly endorsing something that I don’t believe in? I get the song, and I don’t like it.

its boring and bad

It's hard for me to believe that you believe in the ideas of all the lyrics of every song by every artist you enjoy. God knows I don't.

this is idiotic, liking a song is not an endorsement of everything the singer says

I don't 'endorse' country death song either. You don't need to take it all so seriously, it's just kinda fun

I really can’t think of any lyrics from stuff I listen to that are as preachy as this song though.

Maybe I don’t want to go shoot up heroin and get sucked off by a transvestite but I still like Sister Ray. It’s not like Lou Reed is blatantly telling us all about how much he loves watching people get shot during his orgies.

Gano didn’t throw any children down a well, that song is a pastiche of old folk tales.
Don’t act like you wouldn’t get all pissy if it was a song about how trump is a big orange douchebag or how you should respect others’ pronouns.

how is it "preachy"? he is literally just talking about HIS relationship with Christianity, not yours
it seems like you are mad that sings about religious themes at all
>Don’t act like you wouldn’t get all pissy if it was a song about how trump is a big orange douchebag or how you should respect others’ pronouns.
Oh for god's sakes. I had a feeling that this is where you were going with this but I hoped you were a little smarter than that.

His bandmates refused to record them at first, I’m not the only one who doesn’t like it.

Good job with your obnoxious air of superiority though, really does a good job of making your posts look stupid.

>I’m not the only one who doesn’t like it.
Well, yes, of course. But other people can probably make coherent arguments about why they dislike it
>really does a good job of making your posts look stupid.
says the guy who apparently thinks that any song with lyrics related to religion is "preachy"

Your posts have all contained at least one insult, if anyone is incoherent or mad it’s you.

Fuck off Gano, your song sucks.

He didn't throw any children but he should have

But seriously, you got sweet misery blues, black girls, never tell, but the Jesus song is too much? I think that reflects your own relationship with religion more than gano's sense of taste. I'm a pretty devout atheist and it never bothered me

hyis (hang yourself in shame)

TLDR
ITT
soundcloud.com/user-871230011/cross-faded-piece-of-mind

The best part is in the second and third choruses, where Gordon's sister does that "oooh" in the background and it sounds otherworldly. I really wish she'd done more with the band than just this one song, her voice goes really well with Gordon's imo.

How is the Jesus song not too much? The entire song is literally just “praise Jesus” x75, no metaphor or clever writing or anything

Nobody would say anything if I played sweet misery blues in the car or something, maybe black girls but not because of the religious aspect.
sent ;^)

it wasn't executed properly, but the whole point of the song is that even the sinner who threw his daughter in a well can be forgiven by god, that no one is beyond redemption

How is Sister Ray not too much? The entire song is literally just "suck on my ding dong" x75, no metaphor or clever writing or anything
(i can make lazy observations too)
(for the record Sister Ray is a masterpiece)

The lyrics to sweet misery blues are pretty rapey. That makes it objectionable for some (though I love it)

For me, the simplicity of the Jesus song kinda works, because it makes the intention hard to figure in context. (Yes we know that gano is sincere, but the track listing and stained delivery make it open to interpretation)

Yeah but my lazy observations have at least some credibility. How is it clever? It reads like a hymn, it’s boring. Good for him if he loves Jesus, I’ll listen to a song about how much he does as long as it’s done well.
Even if it was ironic I still wouldn’t listen to it, they’re annoying lyrics.

His sister’s vocals are pretty good though sure.