Undertow

Is this a good album?

Yes but it's probably their weakest.

JESUS WON'T YOU FUCKING WHISTLE

SOMETHING BUT THE PAST IS DONE

Yes, though after Crawl Away its pretty dull and unforgettable

What would you say is their strongest?
This band really grew on me. Thought they were ok when I first checked them out. Really dig them now, but not in the autistic "open your third eye bro" way.

THIS

IS

NECESSARY

LIFE
FEEDS ON
LIFE
FEEDS ON
LIFE
FEEDS ON
LIIIIIIIIFE

*10 minutes of chill white noise playing*

>What would you say is their strongest?
Lateralus

Not him but their strongest is definitely Lateralus. It's the most consistent, has no annoying fillers (mantra is a decent ambient track) and also has the best songwriting (The Grudge, Schism, Lateralus). The production is great too, the guitars aren't too loud compared to most rock music, you can actually hear the bassist, and the drumming has a very cool tribal sound to it.
Production wise Aenima sounds a little too muddy and 10,000 is too modern.

I was going to ask why, but you basically answered it. Thank you.

>you can actually hear the bassist
You can hear the bass on all of Tool's albums and almost all prog in general.

C O R R E C T

What I've meant is that you can hear the bass compared to other rock music in general.
Of course the bass had always been a big part in Tool, not just on Lateralus. Justin is actually my favorite member on 10,000 days. I really like what he does on Wings pt. 1-2. The Pot, Intension and Right in Two.
You know what, now that I think of it, in a few aspects 10,000 is superior to Lateralus. Just not as a whole.

I prefer the panned stereo guitars of 10,000 Days over the more mono guitars of their previous albums.

I agree, Right in Two is probably my favorite track between the two albums. Lateralus just feels a lot more cohesive than 10,000 Days and a lot more consistent as a result.
> I really like what he does on Wings pt. 1-2. The Pot, Intension and Right in Two.
Jambi and Vicarious have some really good bass parts, too. Vicarious actually sounds like it could be a Lateralus outtake.

They're apparently almost done with LP5. I can't imagine where they'll go next. It's been 11 years which is longer than the time between Aenima and 10,000 days. Just think how different their music will be if LP5 to 10,000 days will be something like 10,000 to Aenima.

>They're apparently almost done with LP5.
They've been saying this for years.

Does Maynards voice hold up well these days?

10,000 days is even more refined than Lateralus from a technical aspect. Rosetta Stoned is probably their most complex song although Maynard almost manages to ruin it.
The album as whole just doesn't have a flow, and has that clean sterile "modern sound" which ruins some of the atmosphere in my opinion. I can't really explain this second part.

It's different this time. Adam has confirmed on instagram that the music is done and only the lyrics is left. (Maynard always does the lyrics last.) I'm guessing it's coming out in a year maximum.

nope

He sounds okay on the new APC tracks.

wish they'd go back to this, they obviously couldn't do another lateralus

soft rock dronefest

its like if the downward spiral was made by someone who couldn't sing, that said, I bought it on Vinyl just to listen to Bottom over and over again. that track is pretty good.

DEEEEAAAAAAD INSIDE

It's like Sventavith to Conqour All by Behemoth, two different eras of the band and two polar opposite styles.

they're one of those bands where my favourite thing about them is misinterpreted lyrics

10,000 Days was a piece of shit and the next one will be too. Enjoy the back catalog though.

very dividing body of work, yes

Eh, Swamp Song meanders too much and Disgustipated is mostly cricket noises, but everything after is almost as good as the first half imo.

everything between them*

yes, but feels like a weaker version of aenima

swamp song is the best song off that album u pleb

i actually prefer 10000days to lateralus now