Can someone please explain the vinyl meme to me because i've heard albums on vinyl and on cd and side by side and i...

Can someone please explain the vinyl meme to me because i've heard albums on vinyl and on cd and side by side and i dont get it

vinyl is bigger, more expensive, and gayer than all other music format

dog mouth

Collecting vintage copies of albums that were originally released on vinyl is a fun hobby.

Buying vinyl copies of current releases is extra cringey though.

it sounds better, makes you look smarterer, and is the proper format for most of everything made before the 70s, but its shit unl;ess you have >$400 turntable, >$200 speakers/headphones, and >$75 amp

There's something cool about having the physical album cover in your hands, and it holds value way better than a cd, it actually sounds worse though

and it's extra extra cringey if you buy vinyl copies of albums that were pressed onto CDs or cassette at the same time xDDDD
retard

It degrades slower than CD and it looks a lot nicer on a shelf than CDs.
Besides that, just collecting.

I don't even understand what you're trying to say here

buying vinyl of any releases is cringe desu

People have hobbies. Some of it consists in collecting what they like. And they enjoy it. That's it.

pretentious Sup Forums drones say you cant do it. sorry you're not supposed to enjoy music

Figured

this

I like the inside cover art.

if you're not a filthy casual you collect all the formats.
any retard can see there are benefits to each one

They sound nice, they have nice, big artwork, and they're fun to collect.

Cassettes are the move. You can get 3 for a dollar at my local book store and they’ve always got goods. Get the same physical feel too

I quit smoking, so I needed some other vise to piss money away on.
That, and my hearing is mostly gone above 17 - 18 kHz, so I'm not missing much.

Any album released before 1985 sounds best on its original vinyl pressing (technically reel-to-reel sounds best but that's a whole different beast). The master tapes they are sourced from are fresh and haven't had a chance to deteriorate through the years. A completely analog production from start to finish sounds superb.

Most reasons have already been said but I'll add that there's something super comfy about flicking through tons of vinyls in a record shop, not knowing what gems you might find

>Buying vinyl copies of current releases is extra cringey though.
true. shitty masterings from shitty sources pressed shittily onto shitty vinyl. it's a virtue signal.
Original pressings from the golden era of vinyl mastering - whole different story.

some vinyl releases of modern albums are better, and what if someone wants the collectability aspect.

>and what if someone wants the collectability aspect.
it's a virtue signal.
A big plus with vinyl from the old analog recording days is that it still captured the inaudible frequencies above 20k hz. Although inaudible, they still harmonically influenced the audible sound. It will be most obvious when you hear cymbals and brass instruments.
Digital recording does not capture these ultra high frequencies.
Bass can sound warmer on vinyl, but does not have the same dynamic impact as digital.
I can sperg out for hours about this, user.

there are reasons to get new records, i have a new record that sounds WAY better than the CD.

also collectability is a virtue signal but theres nothing really wrong with it, you get music that is pretty much the same or better quality, in a bigger sleeve often with a poster and or lyric sheets and a download of a digital code. theres nothing wrong with wanting to support your favorite artists by buying the vinyl

Please do, I'd like to hear the finer points of the analog vs digital debate

Supporting the artist is probably the biggest reason to buy a new vinyl release, not sound quality. Although the vinyl release tends to be better mastered if it's an artist who cares about the release.

vinyl is superior to digital if:
The vinyl has been well mastered and well pressed, the vinyl is good quality, is in good condition and is very clean;
The turntable is a very good quality turntable;
The tone arm is very good quality and is properly set up and balanced;
The cartridge is very good quality and is properly aligned;
the phono stage pre amp is very good quality and properly matches the cartridge.
Then, vinyl beats digital because of the higher resolution and the extra harmonics you get from the presence of the inaudible frequencies above 20khz.
Most people appreciate vinyl as sounding better because usually, the mastering doesn't contain the same levels of compression as digital does, and what they are hearing is a wider dynamic range, which they perceive to sound more like a live band performance than listening to the same music on a digital format, that has gone through a lot of compression and has a reduced dynamic range.

>sounds more like a live band performance

This is usually what I find when listening to a well mastered record. When my turntable was in the shop, I listened to a lot of the same music from streaming/cd rip and it just sounds flat in comparison. Not awful, but lifeless.

the expense and inconvenience

Do your research and buy properly mastered releases. There'll always be shitty pressings no matter the time

Get a job then

This. also more aesthetic

Records are a fine medium when you're looking for an atypical means of enjoying music, which is especially helpful if your music is 30 years old or more. They're good for when you want something less thundering and compressed, and you get bonuses like larger album art, liner notes, posters, "free" downloads, and of course the whole album. People bitching about vinyl fans are bitter "stop liking what I don't like" types who need someone to put down for no good reason. Of course the concession has to be made that it isn't cheap and the masterings are compararively limited next to digital, but if its a genuine interest then there's no harm.

>vinyls
It's "records," "LPs," or if you're really new "vinyl." Vinyls is only a thing when you quantify the medium for distinguishing types of vinyl, not records.

its a slang term, stop being pretentious

>good English is pretentious
It seems the death of education is happening faster than expected.

english is constantly evolving, i bet you use words in your every day speech that would have been considered slang 20-30 years ago.

stop trying to act like an intellectual

Because there's something magical about own a physical copy of No Love Deep Web.

>English is constantly evolving
Not a valid excuse to blatantly disregard rules because you don't wanna follow them. Please, go take English classes and pay attention. This isn't about intellectualism, it's about people like you perverting and undermining the integrity of intelligible speech to save face. I will repeat oncemore: take an English class, and you'll see that there are universally agreed upon rules.

wheres the rule that you cant call a record vinyl, it is a slang term when you are referring to records since they are made out of vinyl.

i can call them fucking hipster disks if i wanted to, and if the majority of people called them that too, then they would be hipster disks

Jesus christ how cringe.

There isn't, but there is a rule about mass nouns, which is what you're violating. If you're going to call records vinyl, then its plural is vinyl, unless it's made of a different type of vinyl to quantify it. For the sake of saving confusion, they're referred to as records or LPs because they're easier words to pluralize and singularize, unlike mass nouns.

Triggered?

Vinyl records are collector’s items, like action figures or stamps.

God you're so pretentious it's unbelievable how autistic you have to be to come into a perfectly fine discussion and point that out

i don't have the proper equipment to listen to its allegedly great sound, and i tend to buy used records anyway, but it's a very fun and rewarding hobbie for me and it's nice to have something physical in an era in which you can download dozens of albums in an hour and not establish that sort of connection with files

>God you're so autistic
Bet you didn't say that to your school teacher when you got marked wrong. I get you don't like being corrected, but one should not resort to insults. It's neither constructive nor intelligent.

No I'm just pointing out how pretentious you sound, retard.

Same it's really great if you're into music. Anyone who has a record player and vinyl records will tell you it's completely different than buying a CD or a digital album

There's no pretense, the claims are within reasonable bounds.

I just like the ritual of listening to a record. Having to take it out of its sleeve, place it on the turntable, and put the needle on just makes the experience different than just clicking play.

>virtue signal
You don't actually know what this means

I honestly cannot tell the difference, Vinyl is Just bigger and it spins. I like the aesthetic. I buy most of my shit on CD or Downloads but for music I like a lot or pre-80's stuff for reasons I'll buy vinyl.

Call me a fag I don't care.

>You don't actually know what I arbitrarily say this means in order to win an internet argument