/classical/

Post your favorite duos.

>General Folder #1. Renaissance up to 20th century/modern classical. Also contains a folder of live recordings/recitals by some outstanding performers.
mega.co.nz/#F!mMYGhBgY!Ee_a6DJvLJRGej-9GBqi0A
>General Folder #2. is kill. rip Papillons
>General Folder #3. Mostly 20th century/modern with other assorted bits and pieces
mega.co.nz/#F!Y8pXlJ7L!RzSeyGemu6QdvYzlfKs67w
>General Folder #4. Renaissance up to early/mid-20th century. Also contains a folder of Scarlatti sonate and another live recording/recital folder.
mega.co.nz/#F!kMpkFSzL!diCUavpSn9B-pr-MfKnKdA
>General Folder #5. Renaissance up to late 19th century
mega.co.nz/#F!ekBFiCLD!spgz8Ij5G0SRH2JjXpnjLg
>General Folder #6. Very eclectic mix
mega.co.nz/#F!O8pj1ZiL!mAfQOneAAMlDlrgkqvzfEg
>General Folder #7. kill
>General Folder #8. The user who made this loves the yellow piss of DG on his face. Also there's some other stuff in here.
mega.nz/#F!DlRSjQaS!SzxR-CUyK4AYPknI1LYgdg
>Renaissance Folder #1. Mass settings
mega.co.nz/#F!ygImCRjS!1C9L77tCcZGQRF6UVXa-dA
>Renaissance Folder #2. Motets and madrigals (plus Leiden choirbooks)
mega.co.nz/#F!il5yBShJ!WPT0v8GwCAFdOaTYOLDA1g
>Debussy. There is an accompanying chart, available on request.
mega.co.nz/#F!DdJWUBBK!BeGdGaiAqdLy9SBZjCHjCw
>Opera Folder. Contains recorded video productions of about 10 well-known operas, with a bias towards late Romantic
mega.co.nz/#F!4EVlnJrB!PRjPFC0vB2UT1vrBHAlHlw
>Random assortment of books on music theory and composition, music history etc.
mega.nz/#F!HsAVXT5C!AoFKwCXr4PJnrNg5KzDJjw

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=QvE00Rfe8wQ
youtube.com/watch?v=1fzxD-JDBKE
youtube.com/watch?v=6VAwFGTa5rs
youtube.com/watch?v=Ln5O1LuItrs
youtube.com/watch?v=uT3SBzmDxGk
youtube.com/watch?v=ZDB6-oXT8es
youtube.com/watch?v=9dyspN5ZyYM
youtube.com/watch?v=-XDs37sQRa4
youtube.com/watch?v=Ve7X2elz4lM
youtube.com/watch?v=f4V_uaxBVOw
youtube.com/watch?v=kz7fxTAzan8
youtube.com/watch?v=qrHFg47Mopk
youtube.com/watch?v=-vY91CQ3lV8
youtu.be/l94R9lH9588
youtube.com/watch?v=bpOubpwv0CQ
youtube.com/watch?v=saHOA1lTTPs
youtube.com/watch?v=GclqBTHLmUQ
youtu.be/yfJVpjI3wJM?t=1h1m
youtube.com/watch?v=5P4aBTQJIs4
youtube.com/watch?v=h65aDay1znc
youtube.com/watch?v=HD-2LcTcCwA
youtube.com/watch?v=_18RBnfoE74
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Threadly reminder that Mozart is soycore

youtube.com/watch?v=QvE00Rfe8wQ

youtube.com/watch?v=1fzxD-JDBKE
youtube.com/watch?v=6VAwFGTa5rs

what's the connection?

favourite duos i guess idk

are you retarded?

;(

this thing annoys the shit out of me

shh, just let the soy wash over you

>using meme words
Can't you come up with an original insult for Mozart?

>soy-nata
>le happy Reddit figure

>dominant is a rapeface dubsguy

sure, lets go wth that

youtube.com/watch?v=Ln5O1LuItrs

youtube.com/watch?v=uT3SBzmDxGk

More classical songs like this?

they're playing a vivaldi cello sonata before they start playing thunderstruck, check out some of the fast movements he wrote

That wasn't a serious post dummy

guy who made this postthanks for the rec
it was actually a serious post and my favorite composers are philip glass and mozart if i could have more reccs
thx you

This guy isn't me btw

*abruptly modulates to the tonic (B diminished)*

Show me ONE Glass piece that does this

Don't be silly user. I don't know the names of any Glass pieces.

If the harpsichord is so great how come no-one has transcribed Chopin for the instrument?

>how come no-one has transcribed Chopin for the instrument?

Because it sounds like this

youtube.com/watch?v=ZDB6-oXT8es

more trash

youtube.com/watch?v=9dyspN5ZyYM

Chopin relies on the timbre of the piano and lots of sustain pedal to sound good rather than the actual music. Its the opposite to Bach where he relies purely on the music with his keyboard works.

So what you're saying is that if Bach was alive when the grand piano was invented he would have wrote 10x greater music

Ravel

youtube.com/watch?v=-XDs37sQRa4

Just getting into classical music.

Why is pic related the case? Is it because in the 20th century, the border between high art and popular works were successfully broken (whether you're talking about the Warhol-types in the art world, or the legacy and works of the jazz greats, and some of the rock people for music)? Is it the idea that popular works can be created that provide just as much insight into the human condition as much as so-called "high art"?

I was reading that old Stockhausen interview where he talks about modern electronic producers like Aphex Twin, and Stockhausen really seems to detest any form of repetition, for example. Stockhausen dismisses it as "post-African". There just feels like there's a strong disconnect in terms of values and ways of thinking here, even though the lineage of electronic/pop influences from Stockhausen to Aphex really does exist. What's this old high-art ideal, and where did it go? Is it really valid that it went away? Did it even go away? Does it really make sense to talk about Stockhausen and Aphex in the same sentence? (though this is /classical/ so I figure the answer in this thread would be a dismissive "no")

youtube.com/watch?v=Ve7X2elz4lM

is it viable to learn jazz piano by yourself?
asking here since the rest of the board probabbly never touched a piano
I can already play some basic piano pieces and know the basics about theory

This kid (IIRC) supposedly reached this level in 4 years, learning on his own: youtube.com/watch?v=f4V_uaxBVOw

The difference is that high artists consider themselves to be conscious self-portraitists of the world they live in whereas low art is more of a subconscious reflection of the world they live in. Arvo Part was once told that Radiohead admired his music and he said something like "They are innocent children!"

Whether you agree with their attitude or not, I think that pretty much sums it up.

>high artists consider themselves to be conscious self-portraitists of the world they live in whereas low art is more of a subconscious reflection of the world they live in

What do you mean by that?

(also speaking of Radiohead, Johnny Greenwood seemed to get along with Penderecki, so there's that)

I guess it's a Freudian attitude that popular musician are like avatars of a sort of collective consciousness. They rise and fall sort of on accident according to the macro-trends of culture and so on. High artists on the other hand, feel as though they are apart from that process, that they critically examine the world and the art they produce is like, an exact quotation from some aspect of the collective consciousness.

I guess how the notion of club-based music would not appeal to people who think that way.

But then again, "club" music ≠ mass consumption fodder. I imagine Squarepusher really did weird out his fans when he released Music Is Rotted One Note. And these days you can find niche audiences for anything, including noise, so maybe this line of thinking about the audience doesn't quite fit today's internet world of niches.

Bach was alive when the piano was invented

>High artists on the other hand, feel as though they are apart from that process, that they critically examine the world and the art they produce is like, an exact quotation from some aspect of the collective consciousness.
You think that has in part to do with critics? Popular music critiques tend to be "did I enjoy something", which is a pretty disappointing way to approach art, and different from high art critique, which seems more to focus on if some work of art were successful at its aims.

This has been true for most periods of classical music. Composers always want to incorporate everything around them into their music.

My mom thought that classical will make me smart. I ended up enjoying nothing but classical. How do I move to other genres?

by listening to classical arrangements of pop until you transition

example me pls

only one i can think of but you can probably find others youtube.com/watch?v=kz7fxTAzan8

thanks, i found this one too

youtube.com/watch?v=qrHFg47Mopk

Haydn

youtube.com/watch?v=-vY91CQ3lV8

don't you normalfag

>Nobody has suffered more than Mozart from sentimental misjudgment. The 19th century dealt with the glory of his composure by calling him 'mellifluous', as if he were really just the Fragonard of music. To the nineteenth century - which prized the evidence of effort - he was not wholly serious: charming, of course, but a little lightweight; graceful beyond measure, but lacking in muscle. The truth, of course, is entirely other. Try cutting into Mozart; you will soon find out where the muscle is. It runs right through the tissue of the music, and totally resists the knife.

Underraters BTFO

It's not the case desu. I don't know how's the situation in America but at a contemporary classical festival and numerous other concerts and recordings with contemporary works I haven't heard a single piece that sounds like that. At most some have jazz elements or jazzy passages.

youtu.be/l94R9lH9588

Ligeti

youtube.com/watch?v=bpOubpwv0CQ

>This is etude No. 13 which is an obvious symbol, but every bar is divided into three sections (notated with dashed bar lines). Each of these sections is six beats. So every full bar has 666 embedded into it. Some fun numerical references going on.

Mozart's Sonata for two piano in D major performed by Perahia and Lupu

Scarlatti

youtube.com/watch?v=saHOA1lTTPs

Fucking this. One of the best things I've ever fucking heard. It's just so spot on and the euphoric climax...

How does one get started with roman numeral analysis? Especially focusing on /classical/? Any good books out there on it?

>listening to "modern" classical, bartok, stravinsky
>literally sounds how I play when I feel directionless
So this is where classical died

>coldplay
stick with classical you guys

No, I'm saying Bach's music was infinitely many times better than Chopin's because it stands on its own without the aid of an interpeter and is mathematically perfect.

>hurr durr musicisn't good unless every retard knows what's going to happen

Greenwood seems to have a better harmonic ear than Part if you listen to some of his soundtrack work.

>how can I listen to other genres
>start with the worst one

all these faggots wanna take shots at the king

metal is the solution
youtube.com/watch?v=GclqBTHLmUQ

youtu.be/yfJVpjI3wJM?t=1h1m
This duo of Sviatoslav Richter and a pianist whose apearance has fled my memory. Maybe an user can help me.

The smiles on their face make them look so happy and content. Wish i was there.

at 1:01:00 btw

genres that are classical influencd like jazz and prog rock

Hey quick question, Prokofiev's Violin Concerto is Neoclassical not Modern Classical.

How can I tell the difference (learn to hear) from a normal chord progression to a modulation? I'm asking this mainly thinking on Scarlatti sonatas.

I've often wondered the same.

you cannot really quantize that experience, but a few thoughts: modulation often happens when chords emerge that aren't part of the normal cadenza. so knowing how a cadenza sounds can help finding modulations. it can still be an 'ausweichung' though (dont know the english term), which means that the change of key is only temporal.
from a psychological view: a modulation is supposed to create a shift of mood or a different lighting or level. so when I studied partituras of pieces I knew before I was able to detect modulations by ear, I noticed that modulations always happened when I subjectively had the feeling that the music gravitated somewhere else, like my ears lost track and suddenly the music sounded completely different.

all that applies to classical music only, I have a hard time detecting modulations in polyphonic music

Bach

youtube.com/watch?v=5P4aBTQJIs4

Prog rock is pretty good and it is complex enough in structure to compare with some kinds of classical music. Interpol comes to mind

>protip: learn to enjoy and appreciate the evolution of music over time by taking interest in each period of music until you reach the present day. iktf, user, I was a turbo autist in middle school well into adulthood who would listen to nothing but Beethoven and Wagner in the corner during lunch.

>Prog rock is pretty good
how can you say a complete genre is good or bad? any genre can be both

no, polka can't be good for instance

How should i go about learning music theory? Very basic understanding atm

:(

I hate how the numerals are all upper case and don’t indicate minor chords.

Since you're talking about Scarlatti I would say the most obvious starting point is to be aware of every time you hear an accidental. There are some non-modulatory chromaticisms in the Classical and Baroque periods but many of them are functional. So listen for that, then when you find a passage you are sure of is a modulation and just a temporary tonicisation , listen to it a few times and see if you can detect where the tonal ambiguity takes place. Often you can hear the modulation before the chromatic note, but by the time you've heard it you can be pretty sure the modulation is either finished or in full swing. Just listen to it a lot, see if your ear can "get it" then find another one and do it again.

The Complete Idiot's Guide to Music Theory

>a modulation and just a temporary tonicisation
NOT just a temporary tonicisation**

Popular culture and music has far greater prestige now than it ever did in the past. Those different types of music were perfect for postmodernists to use.
youtube.com/watch?v=h65aDay1znc

I would recommend Peter Schubert's textbook on Baroque music in conjunction with a more general textbook like Tonal Harmony by Kostka and Payne to help you with any terms Schubert expected you to already know. I would poke around in Tonal Harmony but definitely prioritize Schubert's book as it is very "active" and personable compared to most music theory textbooks, which can feel often very dry.

youtube.com/watch?v=HD-2LcTcCwA

That's not a question.

Actually it can.
youtube.com/watch?v=_18RBnfoE74

>tfw professor can introduce me to head of comp faculty at Yale for grad school

shit lads, i hope i can actually make it

Tell him Carter and Cage were hacks. If he disagrees, tell him you had already suspected Yale was beneath you anyway.

>you will always be am*rican

See if he knows who Petzold is and if he doesn't say his department isn't worth entering.

Just downloaded the 99-disc complete piano works of Liszt what should I expect?

>John Adams is a postmodernist composer

top lel

i'll keep that in mind when i talk to him guys, thanks for the feedback

>no, polka can't be good
of course it can, dumbass

>you hear an accidental
I guess user's question was how you do that.

Everyone can hear accidentals. See:

I'm not gonna watch an 1h video on that and I'm pretty sure that not everybody can hear accidentals and certainly not in every music or situation. I'd like to test you if you can hear every accidental in any development section of a sonata or in a bach fugue

just read the score with the music, then you will see them and eventually you will train your ear to hear them

The guy was asking about Scarlatti so I tailored my response to match that. Don't know why you're acting aggressive, maybe you should go to sleep.

even if you read along and train your ears u will never hear every accidental in any situation except you're the new Mozart. I'm quite good at this myself but I'm not pretentious

i havent seen the whole lecture, but honestly i do not know that having an "ear for accidentals" even matters because the entire idea of an accidental is to utilize a different pitch from the c major scale. it's totally irrelevant because if one were to, say, retune a harpsichord so that written C sounds concert D, then the accidentals are totally different and sound differently.

and what about transposing instruments? am I to say that a written B natural on a horn is not an accidental? or that a written Bb on a clarinet is not an accidental either?

if this lecture is about hearing differences in tonality, then fucking everyone can do that. could someone tell me this isn't what this lecture is trying to prove? it seems so useless.

there's a difference between accidentals and key signature m8

What can you tell me about him? Is his conducting good? What composers he does his best? Are his personnal works any good?