James May hates Richard and Jeremy. What happened?

Grand Tour host James May says he's not friends with Clarkson and Hammond

dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-4067834/We-not-mates-James-insists-thinks-Jeremy-Clarkson-k-talks-relationship-Grand-Tour-stars.html

What's going on behind the scenes? The show is a disaster and its clear they dont have the chemistry they used to

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=ueBOKLl1LWE
youtube.com/watch?v=nuwjUZCSB2Y
youtube.com/watch?v=TBU-rHyyPL4
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

>what is bantz

let me guess, you're american

>k***
>t***
kike? pretty sure they spell cunt with a c
twat?

>I WORK FOR THE BBC

ok

>k***

what? Kike? What the hell is that word?!

This needs an answer now

knob

why would you censor knob?

>The Grand Tour is everything that was wrong with Clarkson-era Top Gear, Only, four episodes in, it doesn’t feel like an exciting new start. It feels stale. Forced. Baggy. Tired. And this is because, as well as transplanting the presenting team (plus executive producer Andy Wilman) across from Top Gear, it has also carried across the baggage that made latter-day Top Gear fall flat. Worse, with the pool of cash Amazon provides, it’s cranked up these irksome indulgences to the point where bolts are popping out. The kernel of what made Top Gear a phenomenon – three men bickering, driving around and being rubbish – is almost entirely absent.

ok for sure i see that.

but this

Knob

Don't know why it requires stars though

>It must be said, though, the first episode did border on joyous......Then came the second episode, and everything started to unravel. In a pastiche of Tom Cruise sci-fi blow-em-up Edge of Tomorrow, the trio pretended to die only to be respawned, embarked on a car chase, caused some explosions, and Jeremy was shot in the nethers. That’s when it began to dawn: oh dear. They’ve got too much money. The quality control’s gone. No one at Amazon is saying “yes, but will it be entertaining?”

>One of the most acute mistakes Clarkson’s iteration of Top Gear increasingly made was its blurring of the line between presenter and actor. May, Hammond and Clarkson are good presenters; they were never good actors. And it was the show requiring them to act that resulted in its most tiresome segments. The second episode of The Grand Tour was just play-acting. It was a dreary, self-indulgent lesson in how it is possible to take a £4m-per-episode budget and produce nothing of value. The over-scripted tedium arose again in the third episode, when Clarkson and May acted “surprised” when Hammond turned up on their Grand Tour road trip in a US muscle car, then “acted” like a child in it. The fourth likewise, with May “accidentally” demolishing Hammond’s sustainable car. With the huge sums being spent on set-pieces, scripting is the only way to ensure the required shots make the cut. The downside of this is that all spontaneity is jettisoned.

>The wonky ratio of scripted v ad-libbed dialogue carries over into the studio-based segments. Is it funny to watch celebrities pretend to die every week? Or a self-driving car Jeremy “built” that the others are shocked to “discover” actually has an eastern European man driving it? No.

>It’s frustrating, because this is such an easy show to get right. Three men, talking about cars, mocking one another, and going on adventures. That’s it. Stop scripting everything, and stop throwing money at pointless explosions. It’s tiresome.

>The Grand Tour is not beyond repair, as it does get a lot right: the multinational settings work, allowing for some pleasant location-related joshing. And the car reviews are as entertaining as ever. The show just needs to embark on more make-and-make-do projects, like the amphibious cars or the rocket, without scripting the whole thing or hurling Trumpian wads of cash at it. Just allow the three men to simply talk to each other and come a cropper. This, and only this, is why people tuned in.

>Will that happen? Of course it won’t. What will happen is we’ll end up watching the natural, slow death Top Gear would have had, only much more expensively: it’ll get worse, people will switch off, and it will end. Perhaps the BBC will have the last laugh after all.

Stay mad you big sad cuck.

Its not his fault. The BBC is paying him to shitpost.

Sad.

Only last year or whatever they were all hanging around at May's house doing stupid youtube shit.

What happened?

This isn't a big deal, I call some of my best friends cunts and twats without any irony regularly and they do the same to me. Doesn't stop us being mates.

He says that they are clearly not "mates". He doesn't like Clarkson because Clarkson is a boorish man's man who insults people and gets away with it. He doesn't like Hammond because Hammond irritates May just by being himself; they are direct opposites. May is just a quiet old soul who likes doing things the proper way in a calm manner.

But that's why the trio works so damn well. If it was three Clarksons or three Hammonds or three Mays there wouldn't be any fun in it; their different opinions and viewpoints of accomplishing tasks are what made the show.

It's no different than the relationship between the Mythbusters. They work great on-screen and say they like working on stuff together, but they would NEVER hang out with each other because they are like oil and water.

How much does the BBC pay you?

>he does it for free

But they used to hang out at each others houses all the time.

FRIENDSHIP WITH JAMES ENDED
NOW RICHARD BEST FRIEND

The fact that they're not friends is the reason why they are still together as a team.

Jamie Hyneman and Adam Savage have said the fact that they're not good friends was essential in them doing the show for so long, otherwise they probably couldn't have stand each other anymore.

You don't need to be friends to have chemistry on screen, the Mythbusters did it. Besides, I'm not British but isn't the Daily Mail considered an untrustworthy rag?

Daily Mail is basically TMZ-tier

Friendships can change. The older I get the less willing I am to put up with old friends' habits and opinions that annoy the hell out of me. Instead of laughing and ignoring it I'll call them out on it and sometimes that leads to little spats. Over the years I've grown away from some friends because there's simply less in common between us.
You can't please everyone. Someone that tries to be friends with everybody is true friends with nobody.

James is the only reason TGT isnt garbage

Will anyone refute these points?

Will you ever stop shilling for the BBC?

Hush, May. Don't say a word. Or Hammond's gonna buy you a Firebird.

t. BBC

>The show is a disaster and its clear they dont have the chemistry they used to
People are eating it up, though, it's by far the highest rated show on amazon or netflix or any of that shit.
It so far it has been like the worst seasons of Top Gear, where they have these superfake, scripted interactions and not much about cars at all.
>'We're not mates': James May insists he still thinks Jeremy Clarkson is a 'k***' as he talks about his relationship with his The Grand Tour co-stars
That's just their usual banter, stop reposting tabloid shit.

"Kahnt" they were filming in australia at the time.

Clarkson = chav
Hammond= pretend elite
may = elite

jame smay edge of space GOAT tv programme.

>It so far it has been like the worst seasons of Top Gear, where they have these superfake, scripted interactions and not much about cars at all.
That was always TG though. Remember Clarkson's Fiesta review? That was a jab at viewers saying TG wasn't serious anymore and didn't actually review cars. The positive reaction to that "review" cemented the fact that TG was more about the presentation and fun than actual car reviews. That review was also basically entirely scripted.
What faggots don't realize is nearly every "spontaneous" television show is entirely scripted.

Why does the Grand Tour feel so much more scripted than Top Gear? Of course I know Top Gear was scripted as fuck but it somehow feels so much more blatant in the Grand Tour.

Also, general opinions

>"The American" is a huge mistake, not funny at all and just a terrible replacement for the Stig. It would have even been better to get an actual person (ex pro driver, e.g. Jenson Button or D'Ambrosio like they had in the first ep)
>The "we have a celeb quest but he's going to die on the way to the interview hahhaha" thing is getting irksome and honestly I just feel like I want to hear an actual interview
>the news/banter/conversation street segments are too long and dragged out
>The "new studio in a new city every week" thing is frankly just a waste of money. It serves no purpose and e.g. in the Finland episode they basically talked about Finland like its Sweden or Denmark and that the whole of Scandinavia (which Finland isn't a part of) is the same. It's not super offensive as a Finn, it just shows that there's no real... thought put to it

Did Top Gear forget or somehow not realize that their best content isn't "driving supercars/high end sports cars around nice countryside" but "driving shitty cars throw unique terrain"?

Not a BBC shill but it does seem that they did have a bit of a point when it came to "controlling" and "restricting" the presenters as seemingly now their content is basically the same if not slightly worse and their budget is 10x more than before. Where did that money go? More epic skits and gags and more irrelevant stuff and explosions? wooooo

>Hammond= pretend elite
Wat. He doesn't pretend to be elite at all. He likes loud, fast, and fun cars. That's why he adores the Mustang.

Celebrity reviews were never good. TGT's take on them is hilarious. Stop being such a bitter cunt.

Also
>Finland isn't like Scandinavia

>Hammond= pretend elite
He's arguably the most down to Earth person on the show.

>was essential in them doing the show for so long,
You forget they also worked together for years before the myth busters was even a thing.
For my part friends don't make the best co workers.

its just bantz

because they went all out. they had to with that ridiculous amazon budget. I bet they will return to more temperate things in the coming seasons.

>That’s when it began to dawn: oh dear. They’ve got too much money.
This hit me when they started playing battleship with cars and a crane. Which was pretty neat but still.

How does this picture make you feel?

they were never friends nor ever pretended to be, stop posting your clickbait bullshit they were saying that shit like 5-10 years ago

On top gear.

Was the toyata truck getting smashed to bits and blown up on top of a mutli-storey building scripted?

like did they really smash it to bits ? and it still started.

When James May was getting chased by Romanian police in his shitty little 3 horsepower car and flew off the cliff, did he really die?

No but the star in a reasonably priced car was occasionally very entertaining. Could have foregone the entire celebrity angle honestly

Are you Finnish? Because that entire episode basically didn't say anything Finland-specific at all, so I am wondering why they even came all the way here, just to host the show in shitty pre-winter weather?

Sure, but my point is that they went all out on the wrong things.

Hammond is easily the most normal I feel. Clarkson isn't too far removed from his character and is clearly not the easiest person to be around. May is arguably more elitist than Hammond.

>Sure, but my point is that they went all out on the wrong things
it's literally "what jeremy always wanted to do but bbc didnt let him in 1 season".

>No but the star in a reasonably priced car was occasionally very entertaining. Could have foregone the entire celebrity angle honestly
Yea they could have. They're just poking fun at BBC with it desu. It might not last as a running gag.
>Are you Finnish? Because that entire episode basically didn't say anything Finland-specific at all, so I am wondering why they even came all the way here, just to host the show in shitty pre-winter weather?
I actually haven't seen the episode but to me they should be picking cars that are popular in the country they shoot in or fit the country's location rather than rumbling around in whatever.

Kuck

True. And I get the desire for them to want to make that, but it doesn't substantially actually improve the overall product. Maybe it appeals to an American audience, maybe it is visually appealing to some. I dunno, to me the most iconic moments in Top Gear were them riding shitty mopeds in countryside Vietnam. Which they then did 100x over with the "look at that sunset, that's wonderful" bit in every special.

The whole Top Gear vs Grand Tour thing is a bit like comparing the Vietnam Special to the India Special. Both scripted, but the Vietnam one was logical, natural, had a point and it seemed like they were on an actual journey. Both had challenges and scripted bits along the way but the India one took it so far that it seemed just like a collection or random bits rather than them actually embarking on any sort of proper journey. I mean they are probably bored as fuck doing the show(s) at this point anyway so just go overboard with everything.

Funnily enough, as much as they like to paint Hammond as the Ameriboo, it's actually Clarkson who is by far the most bombastic and American out of them all.

Also what was the point of demolishing Clarkson's house? Was it just some "oh my house is too fucked with mold and it is unlivable, lets turn it into a bit" thing?

>complaining about appealing to an American audience
People parrot this shit all the time with zero proof. Stop saying it.

post good TG
youtube.com/watch?v=ueBOKLl1LWE

I hope you fellas enjoyed this last night.

youtube.com/watch?v=nuwjUZCSB2Y

>still can't find a gripping screwdriver

>Clarkson
>the most American
Jesus no. He's as British as it gets. Bombastic is quintessential British behavior.

Oh shit It's already out?!

Isn't this their normal MO when it comes to interviews and live shows i.e. calling the each other cunts and that they don't want to spend time with one another?

Absolutely correct in every way. I don't know why they decided to spend their budget on what made Top Gear stale and rubbish.

>James may
>Genuine guy who is smart and had skills
>Hates a 50 year old Twink and a 50 year old dudebro asshole
Seems right

yup.
obscure tv waifu is back

Couldn't handle the banter, eh James?

Solo May is pure kino.

youtube.com/watch?v=TBU-rHyyPL4

Hammond is a little short on banter

Sadly this is mostly spot on.

That was real

That was not

5th Gear is Best Gear

Tiff Needell is GOAT

They still work for the BBC, they just don't work for Top Gear anymore.
Thanks to UK's labor policies the trio would cash a big fat check if they got fired.

This breaks my heart.

I thought they were friends.
If they weren't why May left Top Gear with Clarkson?

I like the trio.
May being the complete opposite of Hammond in every possible way and Clarkson being the big dumb guy.

May and Hammond aren't total opposites on everything. They both love anything related to aviation.
The trio works so well because they can gang up on any of the three.
May + Clarkson shit on Hammond for being a pretend Yank
May + Hammond shit on Clarkson for being an oaf.
Clarkson + Hammond shit on May for being pedantic.

wish james was my uncle when i was younger. just turn up at his house, we'd make a shepherds pie and he'll let me finish off a plane he's been modelling, only for me to fuck it up, but he'll just laugh and place it in a special place. we'd then watch some david attenborough docs with a hot chocolate on the couch with a fire beside us, with him making witty comments when perfectly necessary. i'd then wake up in bed, all tucked in as he carried me there after i peaceful fell asleep to the sound of attenborough and the crackling of the fire. he'd have eggs and toast ready for me, cut up into fingers with lurpak on them (he knows i like it and that my parents don't have it in the house because i eat it all) and we'd sit in his conservatory looking out into the garden at all the birds getting their morning feed off of the seed sack.

It's no more untrustworthy than literally every other rag these days

Then he'd put his hands down your pants and rub your jammy dodger.

When does he fuck you?

Bullshit. I bet they have a whole host of James clones to murder off-set. What do you think they spent the budget on, nice cars?

Because it means dick.

>after that period they've gradually started to realize what they were for was slightly nostalgic, sad, dissapointed old men
>I've got hundreds!
how can you not like this guy

James May looks, sounds and acts like the most boring fucking dullard on the planet. No wonder Richard and Jeremy can't stand being around him outside of a professional setting

Aaaah if only ..

rude tbqh. let me have my fantasy.

>he thinks the dailymail is an actual news source
kek

>Jeremy Clarkson is a 'k***'

What did he mean by this?

They're professionals, they don't have to be friends to work together.
[blog]
They don't do anything with the locations aside from going out into the English countryside for the eco cars etc. Why go to Finland if you're not doing a winter rally episode? Yes they had the amazing May motorsport bit (which saved the episode) but still. I guess expecting Top Gear-level trek across the country on every episode is too much to ask but why even travel if you stay in the tent and then fly to some far-off land and do a bit then fly home?
The 'lol celebrities die' bit was moderately funny the first two times but it needs to go already. Also the banter is so sporadic, sometimes it's great and even "offensive" and then you have Hammond being afraid of eating ice cream because muh gays or Clarkson wobbling around trying to use the rocket boots and them spelling penis (a 10 year old could see that joke coming).
I know TG was scripted but at least it was scripted well so you forgot it most of the time.
Also drop "the American", jesus what a joyless cunt he is.
>muh everything is better in america
He's not even witty, he just hates everything, even Clarkson comes down on him.[/blog]

>Also drop "the American", jesus what a joyless cunt he is.
That is exactly the point, you knob. They forced them to have an american driver and that was their response.

Fine but punish them, not us, the viewers.