Assassin’s Creed is one of the biggest bombs of 2016, with potential losses between $75M and $100M

>Assassin’s Creed is one of the biggest bombs of 2016, with potential losses between $75M and $100M

Why does videoshit always flop? Is it a lower art form compared to books?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=o9SnkVFFGZ4
youtube.com/watch?v=QD1pbWCJcKQ
youtube.com/watch?v=UOgvbS4GkF0
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

It is.

>Is it a lower art form compared to books?
yes
but not compared to motion pictures

Another box office failure for Memebender, sad!

>Is it a lower art form
Its not an artform at all. And how dumb can you honestly be to not understand that the thing vidya brings to storytelling is player agency. A thing that obviously can't exist in film.
So whats left? A shitty story written by failed hollywood screenwriters?

He's a big guy

Rockstar is the only company I can think of that has movie quality writing/voice acting

Video games aren't art.

Videogame audience is tiny compared to the moviegoer crowd. Nobody knows or cares about some vidyashit franchise about men in robes doing sidemissions for 80 hours

Because they're doing the wrong video games, Assassins Creed could only work as a video game, the plot is long and drawn out to give the player more time to play.

On the other hand, A Kirby movie would work because there is virtually no plot to the games.

Honestly I didnt think it was that bad. An OK action flick. But it probably helps that I live in Sevilla and it was nice seeing my city in a blockbuster. And using Spaniard actors and not spics was also cool.

Kirby is a literary masterwork, sorry if it's 2 deep 4 u.

That's more of a semantics issue. Making a video game involves numerous artistic disciplines so it's a pretty ridiculous thing to say. Planning out a game and how a player interacts with it can also be considered artistic in itself.

>it wasn't THAT bad
you've convinced me, I'm rushing to buy tickets right now

Why do you think that my post was directed to you, and trying to make you go see the movie?

No, his wifes a lower evolutionary form

you can see his penor

I'd say it's probably two cases, either because they're generally incompetent and use video game as a gimmick to attract a niche audience, it'd be a bad movie no matter what the subject, or the other case where it's from people who simply don't understand video games and why people play them, which means they'll try way too hard to have a video game gimmick to the movie instead of simply being a good adaptation. I didn't watch Ass Creed neither did I play the game but I saw the trailer and it's enough to tell you they're trying way too hard with the simulation shit which will never interest anybody.

Mortal kombat is the only good video game movie I can think of and it would still be good if it was based on something else. It's a decent movie with a simple structure, likeable characters and actors, fine cg and kung fu, and it managed to incorporate the designs and lore of the games into that movie. You show it to someone who doesn't know the game and he might enjoy it for what it is (if he's into that genre at all).
Street fighter is the best video game movie imo but is a live adaptation anime, but it's for the same reasons.

Videogame movies from Uwe boll and such are doomed to be trash not because of the subject but because Uwe boll is a terrible director. Same with most video game movies really, most great directors don't care about video games at all. It might change now that video games are becoming more and more of an accepted hobby

Why is it flopping so hard? I mean, it's got Magneto in it, it can't possibly bad?

talk about flopping

I honestly believe that the reason most vidya movies fail at the box office, is because video games give the player, you, the control, in a movie, the audience doesn't have control over the plot.

I kinda feel bad for it. Maybe it just got released at a very bad.

Cause they never get the tone right and plus they're releasing an adaptation of a violent and dark adult game series into a pg13 holiday romp for the whole family so all the stupid fans are alienated and won't get to see their favorite kills be reenacted in gruesome detail, so it pretty much only attracts the minecraft audience

I know nothing about video games but I saw this movie and it was just bad.

The game didn't force the director to shoot every action scene with 50 billion cuts like an incompetent fuckwit. The game didn't force the movie to have a unlikable unrelatable protagonist with no personality and a hazy arc. The game didn't ensure that the premise and lore of the film and was never properly explained. The game didn't force the movie to refuse to explain the motives or agenda of any of the characters in the film.

Why

"videoshit" doesnt always flop and assasin creed was released around the same time as a star wars movie

>BIG MICK DICK

Because it doesn't transfer right.
Movies has been the end goal of every type of literature, art and media for a hundred years.
Video games are the newest and latest form of media and it still hasn't been translated properly to the silver screen.
The interactivity and the way the player feels doesn't translate well and it ends up being a shitty story turned into an even shittier script.

There are also other faults like dumbing down the story incase it becomes too confusing for the potential and unnecessary "cool" effects on already established devices(Case and point: The retarded Aenimus chair thing in the movie)

So is the comic book audience. Stan Lee filed for bankruptcy in the early 2000s

Fassbender still has more talent than you, fucks more hoes than you, and stacks more paper than you.

go to bed Mike

Capeshit characters have existed for a good century, even if people don't read about them, everyone knows Batman or Superman, or Captain Murika

>Fucking Alicia Viklander

No thanks my mane, i've seen trans on /lgbt/ that pass better at being a female than her

it's not the games don't translate right, it's that people treat them like video game movies and don't translate them right. The one thing, among other things, that they all try to do and fuck up horribly is over complicate an already complicated story (which works in video game form because you play for hours and have time to develop it). Instead of trying to shoehorn the entire story of a game, they should just focus on just a part. So instead of forcing the whole game into two hours, work out a small simple story and fit the universe to it.

Because they are video gamey in a bad way. Characters doing retarded stunts constantly, no real brutality in action, no atmosphere and everything seems cheap. It would be possible to make an enjoyable video game "adaptation" but it shouldn't be a direct film version of a game but an original film inspired by games setting or something. Can't really think of any games that would work though, maybe some kind of gloomy film set in world of half-life 2 with all the gordon freeman memeing cut out

He gets more bitches than you. You just be fuckin your hand.

because most video games got shitty stories.

They just seem good because you are more involved due to interactivity and closer identification with the main character but looking at them closely they tend to fail at every level.

Because of two reasons:

>Assassin's Creed is a boring franchise that doesn't translate well to a movie
>Fassbender isn't that good at drawing money

The question is, why the fuck did they make it? Was it some greedy producer who knows jack shit about videogames?

there's a bunch because a bunch of games take inspiration from movies to make the games. GTA could be a great movie (it's essentially a derivative of every great mob/gang movie ever), MGS could make a great movie, as long as they don't lean too hard on the kojima-ness of it), zelda, skyrim, destiny, etc etc etc, all have great potential...but only if you pull some characters, setting, and/or overarching story and like you said, adapt it instead of trying to recreate it.

U R So fucking dead, Carlos!

Any fool could see making an Assassin’s Creed film is retarded. What were they thinking?

From the first trailer i knew it was shit. Asylum productions tier storyline, but dead-serious. I knew i wasnt gonna even gonna pirate it based on that.

Neve even played it.

But how fucking dumb can they be?
Just make it a costume drama straight up, a man with a mission bump it up to R-rating (kids are enticed by this) and it would be at 50-60% for sure

Art used to be something to cherish

Now literally anything could be art

This post is art

or just make a matrix clone

>"videoshit" doesnt always flop

Like what, the first Resident Evil, maybe?

Games will never translate properly to movies

Games are meant to be experienced by a player who is actually inserted into the world and makes the choices that determine the narrative, or at the least simply move it along.
Generally the narrative is just a backdrop to gameplay.

Take out the gameplay and you have an abysmally underwritten story left over.

considering they made a franchise out RE, not just the first one. Wasn't the first tomb raider a big hit?

Michael go back to bed with your super hot chicks leave shitposting to us.

I vaguely recall Fassbender himself being the catalyst to set things in motion

he tought this shit was the bee's knees

RE couldve been a direct copy of the first game and it wouldve been amazing. Fucking kikes

that's not true at all. The walking dead games are all pretty great and the gameplay is almost nonexistent. Same with the last of us, no one is playing that game because the gameplay is so fun.

And how the stories are told are pretty much the same in most games, third person. Being the silent hero in first person isn't essential for a game to good, you're still experiencing by watching the protagonist going through it. A good video game movie can be made, it's just no one has actually tried and the ones who have had had misguided ideas of what would make that movie good.

I think it's both cases you mentioned. Vidya movies fail because they're in the hands of people who don't understand/play video games.

Questions about "art" have nothing to do with it; video games are art and anyone who says otherwise has either never played them or is an overly pretentious imbecile from Sup Forums who is openly ashamed of their hobby.

>Games will never translate properly to movies

This is such a dumb fucking comment. Literally all you have to do is copy the setting/themes/characters and have them do similar things they do in the game while making sure the writing isn't absolutely retarded. The reason video game movies fail is because the people who adapt them don't give a fuck.

MGS, GTA, MW trilogy, Bioshock, Mother Series dont have shitty stories user

for a movie they do because it's too much story. Overarching stories, though, like if you boil them down (spy breaks into facility trying to stop a bad guy, guy new in town goes from thug to boss, etc etc) are great and can make great movies if the people making them don't over complicate them and bog them down with stupid plot/action

That's bullshit, he infamously made nerds asshurt when he said he'd never played the games, after being cast as the lead. But I do like the theory that the studio allowed Fassbender and Kurzel do Macbeth if they signed on to AC

Because games work best as games, and the fanbase, gamers, won't go watch a movie just because they were fans of the game. They're not like the retarded book readers who made shit like harry pooper a success.

>make GTA movie
>get millions of minoritybucks
>

They're called Fast and the Furious

You don't have control *over the plot* in AC games though. Nor in most games. That's not an issue. The main difference is that your character needs to be relatable in a movie, whereas in a game the main character is your window into the gameworld so the way you feel about him is mostly dictated by what he can do. If it's FUN to "be him" then you'll like him, so if the game is fun the main character will never be a problem.

I don't comprehend how they were able to fuck this movie up as much as they did (based on what I'm hearing about it). They had a solid opportunity to make game-movies great again. Just take the story of the FIRST AC, a context where "templars" make sense and a story that fits into a movie well, and cut repetitive and weak parts. Done.

Instead, what do they do? They fucking retcon everything, invent a main character from scratch and pick a scenario that has never been in a game. Fucking why? I thought the whole point of game movies was to ride on the coattails of a game's appeal. Logically, you would stick close to the game to make sure it really does appeal to that game's audience. It takes dedication to fuck this one up. Kind of impressive that they did.

Also I'm hearing
>action scenes with shakey camera and quick cuts
Literally "how to make an action film suck 101"
Who the fuck was in charge of this shit?

They didn't even adapt the only good Assassin's Creed game.
youtube.com/watch?v=o9SnkVFFGZ4

Quit embarrassing yourself by trying to type like a nigger sounds. You're either White or a Jew, and your parents are deeply disappointed.

He's from Sup Forums. You can tell because they all talk like that i.e. retards

>Yo, desu senpaitachi, this nigra be based as FUARK so CUHRAYZEE!

They pander too much with videogame movies.

Can I get some you's brehs

They do? I used to go on cuckchan's Sup Forums before goygate. Makes sense that those who stayed on a board despite it being censored to shit by hostile SJW mods would all be fucking retards.

>you's
it's all about dotted underlines now, gramps

>not still having you
HOLY

FUCKING

KEK

>Why does videoshit always flop?
Resident Evil nigga

that franchise is only alive still because of the chinks.

Is chess art?

The reason video game movies fail is because they always try to cram too much bullshit into them. I don't even have to watch this to know that they spent far too much time on character delevopment, love interest, and being outside of the animus. Vidyashit could work if they just went with more of a Dredd style.

Video game movies fail because they have a terrible reputation.

Don't worry, I still like you, Michael.

he has done pretty good movies before (Macbeth. Jane Eyre) wtf happened that he now just accepts shit genres (capeshit and vidya), and also fucks fucking blacks. Tired of life?

His first two roles in major studio films were capeshit

Video games CONTAIN art. They themselves are not art. You can completely ignore the artistic aspects and just beat the game by doing what you have to to not die and to progress. The game in its purest form is pure function. Its visuals could be boiled down to the bare necessities so you can tell how spaces are formed, where you need to "go", where there are "enemies" etc. Games work in the "graybox" stage with no textures. Most released, full price games can be beaten just fine with no sound. Gameplay is entirely separable from "art".

Because they forget they're playing to a niche audience so their reach far exceeds their grasp. For the most part, budgets on these vidya based movies shouldn't really exceed $50 million unless they have a surefire lock of a story to go along with it. Most of these vidya movies can squeeze out about that much domestically and count on the foreign box office to help make up the difference.

The Last of Us had fantastic gameplay, it's clear you're just shitting out Sup Forums memes and haven't even played it.

the expression or application of human creative skill and imagination, typically in a visual form such as painting or sculpture, producing works to be appreciated primarily for their beauty or emotional power.
the various branches of creative activity, such as painting, music, literature, and dance.

yes

but we can see bad screenwriters are still making movies.
And there are some vidya which has better story and gives better experience than any movie.
You say
>vidya is not art
but it's more, more complex. Story, music, graphic, gameplay. Metal Gear Solid is better than any big budget movie

or this youtube.com/watch?v=QD1pbWCJcKQ

And i'm not even a gamer

AssCreed always had a stupid story. Gamers don't give a shit about it, non-gamers sure as shit weren't drawn in by the retardation. A good game to make into a movie would be something like Halo, where the story doesn't matter so much.

>never ever hear about it anywhere except on Sup Forums
>not showing in any theaters in my area at all
>it flops

well, no wonder

>Metal Gear Solid is better than any big budget movie

1 and 3 are. 2 is too up its own ass. 4 and 5 are shit.

This. They should have made it an ultra brutal Rated R movie, with creative and interesting camera work, plus a great score like in AC2.

Of course it's a lower artform. It is itself a separate and entirely different artform, it CANNOT be experienced the same way as a movie. You know that embarrassment you get when you try to introduce a fucking game to a random person? That's because the medium of videogaming is an entirely private one, you can't put it up on a screen and expect it to stick.

That said, the reason these goddamn movies always fail is because they put zero effort into developing the plot, the writing is just plain garbage. They think the brand name will carry it to success, and they are right maybe once in a dozen.

youtube.com/watch?v=UOgvbS4GkF0

why the fuck dont they work together on it? the guy who directed the game, should cooperate with the film director to make a similar product.
What the fuck is so hard in that?
Bet the film directors are smug and don't want to team-up...

Capeshit and vidya, if it becomes really popular to the masses, can boost his image and exposure, which will give him more chances on securing more roles. You can look it as a necessary evil.

>The game didn't force the movie to have a unlikable unrelatable protagonist with no personality and a hazy arc.
Well

depends on a bunch of things. To a random person who knows nothing about chess, seeing two masters play wouldn't even register with them, but to someone who knows who the masters are and is interested in chess, sure, it could be art to him.

You can also argue that the construction of the board and pieces can also be art

> Is it a lower art form compared to books?

Yes, but so is film. Film has fallen far enough that video games are probably the superior art form at this point. Even Scorsese has acknowledged this.

>Video games aren't art

Neither is modern film.

The problem is not the film quality, transofmers is shit but still makes money.

> the problem is they stupidly decided to release a new IP film in Christmas period which was stacked and to make it worse head on with Rogue One

In short it was always doomed to flop.

She has 10/10 facial aesthetics.

Because games don't became famous because of their stories, characters or plots.

There is a very few games with good stories. And Assasin Creed or Warcraft is definitely not one of them.

Hollywood is making those movies and is trying to capture how the game feels, but that's just not how it works.

Also normal people don't give a shit about games.

MGS, GTA, MW and Bioshock most definitely do. Not even remotely close to the stories available in good literature or film.

Altair's story from the first game would be such a story. It

>introduces the assassins in their place of origin
>introduces the templars in a context where they seem to fit (crusades)
>has breath-taking, famous locations
>has Mudshits, Jews and Christians and their conflicts without clearly picking any side
>tells of a main character with an arc that fits into one damn movie
>only touches on the present day shit noone wants to see any way for context, you could also cut the sci fi aspect entirely and it would still work

Come to think of it, that's the main mistake. The AC films would have told essentially the same stories (condensed, trimmed of the fat) except with zero sci fi shit, no Animus, no Abstergo, nothing. Fucking nobody likes those parts any way. It's a complete mystery to me why they EXPANDED on that shit after the first game. Like, m8, it's kinda clever that you found a "in-lore explanation" for checkpoints and loading screens, but that's the full list of pros. Meanwhile the cons are, every present day gameplay section fucking sucks, Desmond being able to do parkour makes no fucking sense and the hipster travel crew breaks immersion somewhat fiercely. Holy shit, fuck those goddamn hipsters, they were even worse than Desmond himself.

>for a movie they do because it's too much story. Overarching stories
then someone should start making miniseries from them. (or is there already any i dont know about?)