Is this the best black metal album ever?

Is this the best black metal album ever?

Absolutely not

>black metal
>good
>at al

If you are of the hipster black metal persuasion, it is up there. Not saying it's bad btw.

It is iconic, has some good tracks, but is seven hundred galaxies from the best.

>atmoshit

Not even dungeon synth stans believe this, Burzum is STRICTLY entry level

No.

Once you become bored with the hipster shit and kvlt shit you realize the entry level stuff was really better.

Unless you actually write music

yeah

If you consider this to be the best BM album ever, you've probably only listened to less than 10 BM albums.

Hvis Lyset Tar Oss is the greatest black metal album.

Black metal fucking sucks.

Then you'd just be responsible for the oversaturated mess that black metal is.

Not true, but it's a better option.

That's fine, I like to listen to contemporary stuff instead of just sitting on Burzum for years with my thumb up my ass

Fun fact, Varg came up with Tomhet in the studio waiting to record Hvis Lyset Tar Oss.

no this is

What do you think is the best? Not that I'm trying to get into an argument or anything, it's just that I've listened to lots of black metal but I feel like no one has done it as well as Varg.

we want you to think that
fuck off

Look at this fucking crying child. Black metal fucking sucks since fucking 1994. It all went plastic and to shit with Euronymous' jealousy-fueled, cold-blooded, traitorous murder. Have you come to terms with the fact no other fucking band will ever come close to anything Mayhem has ever done yet, child? You fuck off. Fucking clueless idiot.

You're the worst trip on Sup Forums. If you think black metal sucks then stop posting in black metal threads with your horseshit opinion on things.

You can't even fucking read.

I like all of your recs you've posted, I appreciate you tripfriend

if you're really scrutinizing the music itself then mayhem are almost certainly the worst first wave bm band.

Not the same guy, but for starters Emperor (ITNE), Ancient (their debut), Immortal (debut), Rotting Christ (Non Serviam), and Varathron. In terms of actually being legit with their beliefs in the past/present Xibalba (Mexico) is a band where the lyrics are in a native language and they actually wrote good black metal.

For Rotting Christ I meant to put "Thy Mighty Contract"

>seven hundred galaxies from the best.
Trying a little too hard there, bud. I don't agree it's the absolute BEST black metal has to offer but it's easily top 10.

La Sanie Des Siecles - Panegyrique De La Degenerescence by Peste Noire or I by Darkspace.
I'd say L'Ordure A L'Etat Pur is also included but I don't consider it Black Metal, or Bathory's Hammerheart but most consider it Viking Metal.

this is the most pretentious and cringey comment i've seen on Sup Forums

congrats, here's your (You)

t.ourist

Metalheads would say no. Everyone else would say yes.

ha

come on its not even their best

Which album do you prefer?

Pure Holocaust and Battles in the North

What about At the Heart of Winter?

Not even the best Burzum album

/thread

also very good, it was actually the first album of theirs that I listened to. I like all their albums more or less except All Shall Fall. Sad about what happened to them

I'm not familiar with black metal at all. Recs?

what has been posted here is pretty solid
Also check Mayhem - De Mysteriis Dom Satanas

Check these
And search second wave black metal and check out any of those bands' early - mid 90s material.

Thanks

If you don't like how abrasive some of these albums are, starting with Immortal is always good.
I'd also say Ulver - Bergtatt is a decent starter album although I'm not personally a fan of it.

Some bands (like Enslaved and 10' era Burzum) have been pretty consistent throughout their career and have released albums on par with their classic albums.
But most second wave black metal bands have quite a few shitty albums, especially once that high of the early 90's wears off ie Mayhem, Satyricon, Gorgoroth, Dimmu

disagree about Mayhem. Only shitty album is Esoteric Warfare. Satyricon is the opposite having made only one good album. Surprised you didn't mention Darkthrone

Filosofem > Det som engang var > His lyset tar oss > Burzum
Haven't listened to the rest

Fug also
Darkthrone, Immortal and Enslaved falls on the consistent side by the way.

Darkthrone got pretty comfortable in the mid 90s and released a couple boring (compared to their first 4 albums) albums but still enjoyable. They get kind of crust punky near the end of the 00s if that's your thing. Immortal is just straight up fun, not much else to say on that. Enslaved gets more interesting in the 00s but their early work is still a must.

I don't listen to metal but this it the best metal album imo : - )

Yeah I'm surprised I missed that too.

About Mayhem, I just can't get into any of their albums after Wolf's Lair. Everything just sounds way too squeaky clean and tight. Especially Hellhammer. I can't stand the way he mixes his drums.

What the fuck is with black metal bands making industrial black metal in the late 90's and early 00s? Thorns is the only band to do that right.

This

Dodheimsgard and Mayhem also did it good but not as good as Snorre

>et al

hmm
idk i thought it would be sick but i listened to an Aborym album and it fuckin sucked

I'll give you Dodheimsgard but Mayhem? Come on man. Grand Declaration of War was mediocre. I thought Satyricon's attempt at it was at least somewhat better.

What can I say, I really like it.
and yes Rebel is very good
The order would be
Thorns
666 International
Grand Declaration
Rebel Extravaganza

I think you're the first person I've ever seen like Rebel Extravaganza, I dig it. Their last good album before they turned into blackened buttrock.

Varg is a white nigger.

He is but his music is good.

yeah, they are really pathetic now

This is absolutely true

Sadly this is true.
Krallice is really the only modern day black metal band I like and follow.

Emperor EP > ITSE

Anthems > their entire discography

Awesome band

This, but unironically.

um try again sweetie

i don't know what counts as 'black metal'

but i really paysage d'hiver das tor
aesthethica (unironically, but it was the first one i heard)
and trans. hunger

and phil elverum (mount eerie)'s black metal tracks

>trans. hunger
Not even top 3 Darkthrone albums.

if it wasn't for that 22 minute synth track it would be, but because of that track I'm gonna have to say the best is either Malokarpatan's Nordkarpatenland, De mysteriis dom Sathanas by mayhem, or Blood Fire Death by Bathory

>He doesn't like Rundgang Um Die Transzendentale Saule Der Singularitat
Pleb filtered.

Imo Kriegsmaschine is their better project.

Not even an album, nor is it Burzums best work.

>Not even dungeon synth stans believe this
dungeon synth stan here, i believe it. it's at LEAST as good as most of the other great classic albums. it's always hard for me to compare modern bm to og bm though

why didn't you just say burzum sucks? (he doesn't btw) and while i acknowledge that de mysteriis is a great album, most of the other stuff coming out of that era is great too. including burzum

>the actual best black metal album hasnt been posted yet

How am I supposed to take this seriously when the guy who made this married and had children?

Scar Sighted is better.

Worst opinion of all time.
Striborg does as well. Xasthur is the only trve one from the documentary.

even Storm of the Light's Bane is better

>that 22 minute synth track
it's honestly one of the best things about filosofem

It's so monotone though, how do you not get tired after the first 10 mins...

This, except unironically.

i agree.

The concept behind it was that you're supposed to fall asleep during Rundgang or Tomhet.

Being conceptual doesn't make it good

Obviously it isn't for everyone but personally I can't imagine Filosofem without it. It's so easy to get lost into it, that the running time doesn't bother me.

Don't get me wrong, it's a beautiful track and I love it but pass the 10 min mark it seems pointless

it's exceptionally relaxing. and i think the minimalist ambience of it is actually works great within the context of the album

25 minutes though?

it's certainly a bit extreme. but i mean it's an extreme metal album.

>tfw /blackmetal/ threads die right away but Sup Forums is willing to discuss Filosofem for the hundredth time