This is the best prequel. It feels the most like a classic Star Wars movie. Don't get me wrong. They're all shit...

This is the best prequel. It feels the most like a classic Star Wars movie. Don't get me wrong. They're all shit, but this one is the best.

Think about the original trilogy. Think about how it looked, and felt.

>worlds were empty and barren
Tatooine is empty. Its a barren desert. Hoth is empty. Its just a snowy desert. Endor is full of trees, but it's empty. No giant settlements. Outside of ewoks, no creatures scurrying around everywhere.
The Phantom Menace feels empty like this. The other two prequels have CGI covering every fucking inch of the screen.

>involved a lot of waiting around in ships
Think of all the times the characters were just sitting around in the Millennium Falcon. Playing checkers, training with that ball thing, fixing things, or even just sitting around and talking.
The Phantom Menace involves a lot of waiting and talking. The other two are too action packed. There are no slow moments.

>lightsaber duels were RARE
In the original trilogy, lightsaber battles were few and far between. We got one, MAYBE two per movie if you count Luke's hallucination on Degobah.
In The Phantom Menace, we only get two.

>most practical effects in the prequel trilogy
>comfiest atmosphere
>no stupid Mace Windu purple lightsaber
>no forced love dialogue
>no CGI Yoda fight scenes

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=J0mUVY9fLlw
youtube.com/watch?v=k7ZW1gtCljs
youtube.com/watch?v=EYfIzQifnHI
youtube.com/watch?v=Boe3Hf4uIL8
youtube.com/watch?v=kY0j9SUdOKU
is.Sup
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Awful, awful film. Revenge of the Sith was the only decent prequel but that still has some horrible moments.

You conveniently forgot to mention the fact that The Phantom Menace has Jar Jar Binks as a main character whereas the other two do not. Try defending that shit.

He's in both of those movies. Doesn't he become a semator in Attack Of The Clones, and fucking grant Palpatine full control of the galaxy in Revenge Of The Sith?

Revenge of the Sith is garbage.
I'll never understand the "its decent" meme.

Name one positive thing about it.

This guy gets it.

Have a (You), my good man.

They all suck, but fucking hell. Attack is the worst movie in the entire saga, and one of the worst movies of all time.

Samuel L Jackson dies like a bitch

I thought this was common knowledge to be honest.

I honestly agree with you on everything you said
The CGI has aged badly but all the practical stuff is classic

I have never understood the, "you can understand Star Wars without watching The Phantom Menace," meme.

It shows you what the world was like before Sheev decided to finally pull his strings and how things were set into place the moment he started. Not to mention, it's the only one important for humanizing Vader before turning him into an outright monster in all the other movies.

The last battle with Anakin and Obi-Wan looks ridiculous and almost gave me a seizure.
By the end of that movie, I longed for the sweet release of death, so I guess it was almost a good thing.

This. The Phantom Menace doesn't have the heart of the original trilogy, but it kinda has the look and feel.

Jar Jar was not as bad as people say he is and you know it. He's a fully-fleshed out character with his own arc and everything, and you would know this if you actually watched the film instead of just parroting opinions you find on the internet. You only hate him because his existence flares up your autism by reminding you that Star Wars has always been for kids.

He features but has mere minutes of screen time, nothing more than cameos. Phantom Menace he is probably 4th or 5th in terms of screen time.

If you ignore the snippets of dialogue, Anakin vs Obi Wan and Yoda vs Sheev were good duels. The Vader suit scene is pure kino up until the NOOOOO. The overall sinister atmosphere works pretty well.

>The Phantom Menace doesn't have the heart of the original trilogy

It's the classic story of a ragtag group of characters from different parts of the galaxy coming together to save the day. That's literally what Star Wars has always been about.

>projecting this hard
Exsqueeze me

TPM feels amazingly restrained compared to AotC and RoTS, which went full retard with shoving as many retarded aliens and planets on screen as possible

Not an argument.

>one of the worst movies of all time.
You need to watch more bad movies.

I saw The Phantom Menace when it first came out in theaters and I fucking loved it. Jar jar and all. He was annoying but he was supposed to be. Got to see Palpatine before his face got fucked up and lay the ground work for his empire building. Darth Maul was great. It wasn't like the OT but so what. Theres no empire yet so of course it's not going to be like them.

Nor was that bollocks you pulled out of your arse about why I hate him, based upon absolutely nothing.

i enjoy The Phantom Menace the most of the prequels, too. it's the only complete film of those three. i agree, it's not great by any means, but it's a fun kids movie. the pod race is the best sequence in all three prequels. the one defining factor that i think the prequels lack and the OT had in spades was tension. there simply was zero tension in the entire prequel series.

also, Lucas fucked up big time not making Luke's black outfit from Return of the Jedi the official Jedi outfit.

Can you disprove anything I said? No? Then shut up.

>ignore the dialogue
>Obi-Wan vs. Anakin
>FROM MY POINT OF VIEW, THE JEDI ARE EVIL.
>CGI Yoda flipping around
>good duels
>Vader suit scene was pure kino
Are you 15 years old or something? I know ROTS is a meme on this board, but jesus. It's an awful movie.

>a-at least the fight was good!
"No!"
youtube.com/watch?v=J0mUVY9fLlw

>If you ignore the snippets of dialogue, Anakin vs Obi Wan and Yoda vs Sheev were good duels. The Vader suit scene is pure kino up until the NOOOOO. The overall sinister atmosphere works pretty well.
Wow it's fucking nothing, you liked it when lightsabers went zing zing and Darth Vader was in it. Kill yourself

>le phantom menace wasn't absolute dogshit revisionism to appear contrarian and enlightened

Nice try, reddit

I was more tolerant than some people when it came to the prequels. The love stuff is cringy as hell but for the most part I enjoyed them. I wasn't one of these people that are "mad because Star Wars wasn't the way i wanted it to be". I was okay with lucas just making his movies. I always felt like i had seen a star wars film when i watched them.

How would you know, unless you're from Reddit yourself?

>It feels the most like a classic Star Wars movie
Agreed. I say that to my friends and they call me crazy.

It has bad parts, but it's still the only prequel that actually feels like a Star Wars movie.

It's the best of the prequel trilogy and you know it.
I even said in the OP that I think the movie is shit. Its just the best of the shit.
It's not Vader vs. Luke on Bespin, but its not as bad as CGI Yoda or General Grievous.

Ep. 3 is vastly superior to Ep. 1.

Fucking finally someone gets it. I agree with everything you said. Not to mention that podracing is one of the fucking coolest scifi ideas of all time and that whole sequence is exciting as hell. TPM has serious problems, it's not good, but at least it's fun to watch and comes across like everyone was really trying their best to make something truly great.

AOTC is utter fucking trash but it's fun to watch in a "so completely bafflingly awful it's great" kind of way

ROTS is self-important, melodramatic, surface-level, boring as all fuck, ugly, confusing, grimdark, just plain stupid shit. And honestly if you think it's even remotely profound or intelligent I am sorry to break this to you but you are either a teenager, a simpleton, or autistic.

The Obi Wan v. Anakin in RotS is better.

You posted a video about how Obi-Wan and Qui-Gon vs Darth Mault is stupid because of jumping and flipping, and then you say that Revenge Of The Sith is superior? Kill yourself.
At least the Phantom Menace fight was (mostly) choreographed, instead of looking like a fucking video game. I can't even tell what's happening when Obi-Wan and Anakin fight because it's so flashy and they used motion blur to mask the fact that its CGI.

>Anakin vs Obi Wan
Long and boring CG mess. There was no tension, because the movie was rushing to this point, to where the reason for Anakin's turn didn't matter as much in Lucas's mind as the duel itself. Honestly, when it came I just wanted the movie to be over already.

>Yoda vs Sheev
no faggot, no one wanted to see that shit. It ruined both characters.
Also Sheev hams it up in every scene he's in.

>lightsaber battles are the only way to tell which prequel is better
Kys.

>long and boring
Fucking THIS. I actually face palmed when they start fighting on the tower thing in the lava, and swinging from ropes. That part wasn't even the end of the battle. I think my exact thoughts were "Oh my god, who fucking cares? Hurry up."

>not even reading the OP

Exactly, it's exhausting and stupid and ridiculous. Think about iconic epic confrontations between powerful beings in movies.

Gandalf vs Balrog
He stands there and shouts. And it's awesome. Even without the followup in Two Towers it's awesome.

Spider-Man vs Doctor Octopus
They fight on a train and it's awesome.

Luke vs Vader
They duel in a cool location with no backflips or explosions and it's awesome.

Keep It Simple, Stupid

I'll agree it was too long. but so was the Darth Maul fight. The Darth Maul fight also didn't have any emotional stakes since you gave a fuck about exactly zero of the participants. On top of that, it also had the overly choreographed shit in spades.
The A v. O fight, as well as having some overly choreographed bits, also had shots like pic related. It also has a part where they both loose their lightsabers and just start kicking the shit out of each other.

I was expecting this to be about rogue one until I looked at the image. Jar Jar Adventures was dogshit and you're a mongrel.

>not reading the OP
I literally said that it was shit. It's just the best of the shit.

>Gen X and Millennial cummy kids were too impatient to allow George to tell the full story and reveal Jar Jar Binks to be the dark lord of the sith so they forced him to make massive changes to 2 and 3 and thus ruined the prequals forever
>These same sperm suckling limp wristed weak jawed stained beard and glasses having faggots are praising the two new Disney disgraces as being fantastic
Man, the three worst generations of all time all right after one another.

Episode 1 had the best set design

But Episode 3 is the best prequel

you do realize you're a millennial yourself?

POETRY

youtube.com/watch?v=k7ZW1gtCljs

youtube.com/watch?v=EYfIzQifnHI

youtube.com/watch?v=Boe3Hf4uIL8

I found out recently that 19 year olds are actually gen Z, the most conservative generation since the world war 2 generation. Don't categorize me with you.

>Jar Jar
>Sith Lord
I hope you're not serious. I've seen so much autism on this board that I literally can't tell anymore. Ian McDiarmid is the fucking emperor.
Also, the emperor's name was Palpatine all the way back in 1976.

I would argue that Anakin vs Obi-Wan had less emotional stakes, since we know both of them survive to appear in the OT. When TPM came out, no one knew if Qui-Gon or Maul were going to survive to see the next 2 prequels.

youtube.com/watch?v=kY0j9SUdOKU

This makes the prequels look good. They're not.

My favorite part is where the space rabbits battle the space robots on the Windows XP desktop

>hurr durr millienials worst generation

Right because an entire generation just happened to be objectively worse than previous ones genetically. The world that a generation inherits is what causes that generation's behavior and if you took any previous generation and replaced millennials with them they'd do all the exact same shit. God people like you are so fucking stupid.

kek

>let's set the climatic battle on the most featureless patch of flat grassy land imaginable so that we don't have to worry about animating backgrounds or bother with collision for our CGI gungas/droids

Phantom menace is 9/10 kino.
The others are at the very least interesting in parts.

Even though you know they both survive the emotional weight behind the scene comes from Anakins extreme hatred for someone who used to be a good friend.
Pic related is anakin slowly forcing the blade of his light saber at Obi Wans throat. At the end Anakin claws up that hill spitting "I hate you".
I think those scenes carry more weight even if neither of them die. Qui Gon was a good character but I didn't get particularly attached to him.

Forgot pic

Personally, I think it's the worst of the three by a huge margin, mainly because it contributes absolutely nothing to the overall story. Episode I's entire relevance to the plot could be summed up with about one paragraph of text.

It spends times telling us things we don't actually want to know. "What was Anakin's childhood like?", "How do you measure the force", "Who built C3PO", and "Was Luke's mom a pedophile?" are not questions that anybody had after watching the originals, but Episode I spends a great deal of time answering them.

>also, Lucas fucked up big time not making Luke's black outfit from Return of the Jedi the official Jedi outfit.

Damn, that would have actually been a good call. Not necessarily black for all of them, but it definitely looked like the sort of thing a space knight would wear.

Looks like cartoon network

Silliest part of the entire Anakin/Obi-Wan fight.

>I have a lightsaber and you don't
>you're running at me unarmed
>lol better kick you

>Qui Gon was a good character but I didn't get particularly attached to him.

He was really a wasted character. IMO, he should have become the main antagonist of the prequels instead of Count Dooku. It's clear that the Jedi Council didn't like him and vice versa, maybe the end of Episode I could have involved Qui-Gon leaving the order (fed up with the Jedi's inefficiency/Republic's bureaucracy), and in Episode II he could have come back as a Sith.

That I'd have to agree with. Although the plot is still so fucking pants-on-head retarded so it's still fucking trash. But at least it's mostly self-contained. Part of the reason Ep2 and 3 were bad (among other reasons) was that they felt like incomplete chapters in a narrative. And to get the whole story, you have to go through clone wars TV show(s) and all this bullshit just to understand who the fuck these characters are.

>also, Lucas fucked up big time not making Luke's black outfit from Return of the Jedi the official Jedi outfit.
So fucking true. It was retarded to decide that since Obi-Wan wear brown robes (just like literally everyone else on tatooine) that it was actually the official jedi uniform. How fucking retarded. I guess Uncle Owen was a jedi too.

Only official true ranking:

ROGUE ONE > V > IV > I > III > II > VI > EWOKS > specials >> VII

5>6>4>3=RO>7>1>2

V > IV > R1 > VI > VII > I > III > II

Boomers are the worst generation. Millenials are just a close second.

1 = 3 > 2

I've always thought this.

Episode I is the worst of the prequels. At least Episode II had good music.

The silliest part was pic related, when they're just twirling their weapons around in circles around each other, like they're fucking flag twirlers.

I like your idea on how to better structure the prequels, but honestly the whole thing was garbage and needed to be completely rewritten. Episode 1 should've started in media res with Obi Wan and Anakin already being master/apprentice, and good friends. Main protagonist of the trilogy should've been obi wan, with anakin somewhat equivalent to the "Han" character. First movie should've had war break out and spark the beginning of the clone wars. 2nd movie should've had anakin fall to the dark side. And 3rd movie should've had anakin as the antagonist, with their fight being the climax and getting put in the suit. Still could've had political talk and such, but it just should've made some fucking sense.

So buy the soundtrack. The movie is still shit.

It's really hard to say which of the prequels is best/worst. They're all so fucking terrible in their own special ways.

Episode 1 for kid anakin and jar jar
Episode 2 for romance subplot
Episode 3 for... jesus christ I don't even know where to begin. How about the fact that half the movie is just people standing around talking about bullshit on coruscant, or how half the movie is just pointless lightsaber fights?

>I like your idea on how to better structure the prequels, but honestly the whole thing was garbage and needed to be completely rewritten. Episode 1 should've started in media res with Obi Wan and Anakin already being master/apprentice, and good friends.

Definitely, Episode 1 should have started right here.

is.Sup Forums.org/wsg/1483062799991.webm

You're wrong but you have trip quints so you're actually right this is now the official ranking gg

checked. good ranking but why 1 > 3? so close

These are horrible rankings, but I can't argue with those digits.

That looked so amazing in the theater. Too bad it was the only scene like it.

Witnessed

Anakin versus Ben had no emotional stakes.

It might have if Anakin's turn wasn't so fucking retarded. Had Anakin's turn been slower or if the audience sympathized with both Ben and Anakin, yeah it might have been emotional.

Instead hack fraud Lucas can't write characters, and instead focuses all his attention on visual effects.

Also we know what will happen, Anakin loses and gets fucked up. We know, we've known since the 1970s. Making some 50 minute duel is pointless at that point. They should have just had a 3 minute duel, no backflips or CG Mario platforms, or lava. Just a simple duel with a good sound track.

Qui-Gon would've been a fucking great villain, I was just thinking that the other day.

Finally someone on this board that gets it.

I wish the Jedi weren't fucking monks. I hate it, they should have had them be a decadent secret society or something. It doesn't even make sense in the world, becuase everyone has forgotten their massive monastic order twenty years on.

>Including VII and R1
Cuck.

It didn't hit me until I saw Batman Begins, where Liam Neeson basically plays an evil Qui-Gon.

It's always been my favourite. The only thing I don't like about it is of course the Gungans.

This. It's one of the most insulting movies I've ever watched. The screenplay is complete nonsense, the acting is shit, the pacing is garbage, and the only real redeeming factor would be the soundtrack.

They're all awful movies but Attack is by far the most egregious offender.

The Phantom Menace while terrible at least attempts to be a Star Wars movie. It's really saying something that the movie with the most Jar Jar screen time can manage to pull off this feat, but that's just how bad the prequels collectively are.

And to all of the RotS defenders, when was the last time you watched it? It's trash.

What video game is this from?

They should have been a military order, that had become too political, to the point were only a few actually had any connection the force, and the rest were there through bribes or nepotism. And people stopped believing in the force.

Or a secret order that not many people knew about.

OT are the only real Star Wars, if you include the shitquels, then you can include any other movies.

>Name one positive thing about it.
The opera scene was cool.

They aren't really monks, and they arguably are a decadent secret society. Look at what we know about the Jedi from the movies alone (not even getting into EU shit):

>they steal whatever they feel like stealing (Anakin with the speeder in episode II)
>Property damage? Not a problem.
>Chop off arms whenever you feel like it.
>Power to arrest people with no oversight.
>Power to conduct negotiations however they want
>Power to spy however, whenever, and on whoever they want

>They should have been a military order, that had become too political

That was exactly what they were tbf. In Episode III, Windu and Yoda are seriously discussing launching a coup, and pretty much every Jedi had a military rank.

>to the point were only a few actually had any connection the force, and the rest were there through bribes or nepotism

I don't really like this, the whole point is that they were noble guardians betrayed and killed by Vader+the Empire

Yeah, that's how I always imagined it as a kid. The jedi were a secret society and there were only a small handful of them. They were so secretive that many dismiss them as bullshit or fiction. Like how the imperial commanders are dismissive towards Vader's "sorcerer's ways"

In fact, if you pay attention to the language in the original movie, the Jedi are called "sorcerers" and "wizards". That's what they should've been like.

But instead there ends up being hundreds and hundreds of Jedi and they're essentially just a political group that works as a branch of government. Fucking christ.

That'd be good, if the Jedi had devolved into thugs and enforcers with laser swords, with only a few being actually able to use the force beyond the very basics.

The opening minute
The Anakin vs Dooku fight
Anakin going to Yoda for advice
The opera house scene
Order 66
Anakin killing the Separatists
Obi-Wan chopping off Anakin's limbs and watching him burn to death
Anakin getting put into the suit
Vader and Palpatine in a Star Destroyer towards the end

There's something I never quite understood. Why did Anakin hate Obi-Wan so much? Earlier in the film Anakin asks Palpatine to spare Obi-Wan but then an hour later he hates the shit out of him. Was there something I'm missing? Did he think Obi-Wan was fucking Padme?

People jerk off about the opening scene but it wasn't impressive at all because it was all just CGI. Not that CGI can't be impressive, but it's not like there was actually the sort of coordination and finesse that goes into an actually doing one long uninterrupted camera shot. But people psychologically are still tricked into thinking that it's more impressive than it is, just because of the tracking.

Hahaha this is great satire