>pioneer hard rock
>pioneer the rock opera
>pioneer noise rock
>pioneer (proto-)punk
>pioneer heartland rock
>pioneer electronics in rock music
>pioneer instrument destruction
>pioneer the influence of pop art in music
When did you realise these guys are basically the greatest, and equals to the Beatles and Velvet Underground in their originality and influence?

Other urls found in this thread:

robertchristgau.com/xg/music/monterey-69.php
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

A long time ago

Half of these are irrelevant in the big scope of rock music.

Sorry to burst your bubble, but you're WRONG.
>Pioneer British R&B
No, they're just well known for being good at it
>Pioneer "Mod rock"
No such genre exists. Mod was/is a British youth subculture, NOT a musical style, rock or otherwise
>Pioneered powerpop.
Again, wrong. They were just very good at playing it
>Pioneered hard rock.
See statements concerning powerpop and British R&B
>Pioneered the rock opera
>I'll give you that. I don't think anybody wrote a ten minute suite made up five short pop song that segue into one another to tell a story prior to A Quick One While He's Away
>Pioneered proto punk
No. Once again see comments concerning British R&B, powerpop and hard rock
>Pioneered noise rock
The jury's still out on that one but they were one of the first bands to deliberately incorporate feedback into their songs, both on stage AND in the studio. (The Ox, and I'm A Man (Or "Mannish Boy" if you prefer) are two fine examples)
>Pioneered heartland rock
See statements about British R&B, powerpop, etc.
>Pioneered electronics in rock music.
Again wrong, but utilized it very well, though
>Pioneered instrument destruction
Actually that started as an accident
>Pioneered the influence of pop art in music
That actually started with Jazz, which Pete Townsend was/is a huge fan of.

Please remember this is being posted by somebody who is probably a much bigger Who fan than you'll ever hope to be.

But my biggest question is why is this green haired little girl handing Pete Townsend a four leaf clover?

>pioneer british r&b
The Stones were literally the first in 1963. No one knew what 'rhythm and blues' even was in Britain until Brian Jones introduced it to the vocabulary. It hadn't fully separated from jazz at that point
>pioneer mod rock
OK sure
>pioneer power pop
Maybe formalised it, but let's be honest, the Beatles were the first to pioneer the form of that
>pioneer hard rock
You Really Got Me suddenly doesn't exist. Neither does Wild Thing...
>pioneer the rock opera
Story of Simon Simopath - Nirvana (UK) and S.F. Sorrow - Pretty Things
>pioneer noise rock
Maybe?
>pioneer (proto-)punk
Beatles, Stones, and especially the Sonics, Pretty Things, Monks and Kingsmen all did that.
>pioneer heartland rock
No.
Tomorrow Never Knows exists. The Who did play a large part in popularising a lot of guitar techniques though
>pioneer instrument destruction
Yes
>pioneer the influence of pop art in music
Uhhh... sort of

>Again, wrong. They were just very good at playing it
Pete Townshend literally came up with the genre name

i really like the who but the bassist ruins every other song its fucking annoying

Yeah, this is old news to me. Who's Next is one of the greatest rock albums ever made.

The only negative things I can say about peak The Who is that nearly every band that tried to be them both lacked the sheer energy and skill of Moon and Entwistle and just how fucking smart a guy Townshend was, which is what made The Who, really - they were very explosive, yes, but it wasn't wanton destruction.

>he doesn’t rate Entwistle

The Who suck. Worst of the original British Invasion bands.

Also fuck Christgau for claiming TWSO is their only really good album.

Yotsuba on the left, Keanu Reeves on the right. You new here?
As for feedback, the Beatles had it on I Feel Fine, which beat the Who by a bit.

Wait, what's so special about TWSO and why is it better than Who's Next and whatnot?

They turned into corny, bloated prog rock starting with Tommy and stopped being the lean, mean pop punk band they were in 1966.

DUM DUM DUM DOO RAY

More like The Dave Clark Five

Who's Next has very much the elements that would define hard rock, which wasn't exactly Christgau's cup of tea. Sell Out is very much this odd power pop-ish thing that isn't actually power pop. That said, it's pretty clear Christgau had never gone to one of their concerts because The Who would do extended instrumental jams, often incorporating feedback and noise.

He's definitely seen them live, in fact he was at the Monterrey Pop Festival in 69.

robertchristgau.com/xg/music/monterey-69.php

Well, he should've known those things would be there and The Who would implement them whenever they could, given he'd seen them live more than a handful of times. Don't know why he thought they wouldn't do that.

They should have quit once Keith died, even Pete Townshend has admitted as much.

This.

The Who are still a great band though.

Off the record, he also claimed that Led Zeppelin couldn't translate their albums into a live setting like the Stones and Who and they just sounded like disjointed noise. Which to me sounds like bull. Jimmy Page was an absolute demon live in 1969-71.

Gee, I dunno. Even Eddie Van Halen said he never saw Page perform well live.

>>pioneer heartland rock
[citation needed]
[citation needed]

Depends on when he saw him. By the mid-70s, Zeppelin's live shows were definitely on the downswing.

When did you guys realise that Sell Out was their best album?

When i ignored the shitty filler songs on it

>The Who would do extended instrumental jams, often incorporating feedback and noise.
Not really