Official Sup Forums top 10 horror movies of 2016 thread!

Let's have the official Sup Forums top 10 horror movies of 2016 thread!

Only films which became available (with English subtitles) in 2016 allowed.

Post your picks and criticize the taste of other anons!

My suggestions (in not so strict order):

01. Evolution
02. The Witch
03. Over Your Dead Body
04. Neon Demon
05. The Wailing
06. The Invitation
07. Baskin
08. I Am a Hero
09. Train to Busan
10. Fender Bender

1. The Neon Demon

...the rest are irrelevant

>I am a Hero
I had no idea they made a live action out of the manga. Is it true to the source material or did they fuck it up like with every single adaptation?

I wish the Invitation had just kept with the paranoia angle.

Well, it is kinda.. condensed. Not nearly enough time in a single movie for all the intricate character development and elaborate details. But, it IS a good adaptation IMO, well directed and acted, dynamic, and some of the better ideas from the manga are kept intact. It covers the story up to the Fujiyama mall.

Good enough. It's a shame that Japs usually don't make TV-series on the same caliber that us westerners do.
I would love a 'I am a Hero' tv-series with a decent budget.

Looks patrician enough. Approved

The Witch is 2015.

It's a good enough adaptation for the manga readers. Everyone else is slightly confused and has to enjoy the gore only.

That Miike is from 14/15...

Not for us poor Eurofags. Over your dead body is from 2014, but us non-japanese speaking crowd had to wait 2 years for subtitles.

Paranoia is nice, and Invitation plays it well, but a horror movie usually needs some kind off (violent) pay-off!

cheerz, mate

>That Miike is from 14/15...

True,but we only got subs in 2016, so for most of us it became "available" this year

The subs have been out for close to a year... it also screened at festivals throughout 2015 ;) (just like the Invitation or the Witch)... That aside it's also far from great or original for that matter. I just find it a very wonky pick for a top list of 2016.

I enjoyed the slow-burn atmosphere, the set design, and the play-real life parallels. I'm a sucker for movies where most of the plot takes place a night-time. Plus, the ending is super brutal and grotesque.

That said, it IS needlessly elliptic and confusing, but somehow that does not bother's me with Miike anymore.

Thoughts on Evolution? I've seen a handful of trailers and it definitely has my interest.

I'll watch the wailing sometime soonish but I have a hard time even listing 10 horror movies. It has all been pretty -meh- this year.

- Saw the Invitation & Over My Dead Body in 2015.
- Not impressed by the Witch.
- Baskin was underwhelming.
- Neon Demon is just pretty visuals.
- Fender Bender is by Chiller... nope
- Busan is more of an Action Movie.

It is very reminiscent of Hadzihalilovic's first film (innocence), only here we venture into full blown body-horror sci-fi territory.
As in Innocence, the whole film takes place in an artificial child-centered universe, but in Evolution, there is no real answer to the mystery and things are a bit more... confusing.
Photography and music are superb and there are plenty of unsettling images.

If you like bizarre, slow-burn, flicks that are heavy on the atmosphere, but little on the obscure side you will not be disappointed.

>The Invitation
ma nigger

>Neon Demon
>that high on any list
>above The wailing
you're retarded

How the fuck was Train to Busan horror?

us 12/30/16(Fri)15:16:31 No.77817182 ▶

Hana-dama looks cool, love me some Hisayasu Sato! I've seen Der Nachtmahr as well, but was not too impressed. I think the movie would have benefittedby sticking with one interpretation instead of trying to be so ambiguous. Still, nice stroboscopes and creature.

>Fender Bender is by Chiller... nope
It's a lot better than it seems, especially if you have a couple of dozens of classic slashers under your belt already. As far as home invasion flicks go, I found it much better than this year's Hush and Don't Breathe. Director, Mark Pavia, made Night Flyer years ago, a very cool and very brutal King adaptation.

>My suggestions (in NOT so strict order)

Has anyone seen Raw? It's appearing in some best of the year lists.

My screening got canceled but I'm almost certain it got overhyped by some...

I missed the chance, it was playing in my home-town, on a festival, but I could not go.My frends tell me it's good, ho. I've managed to catch La región salvaje, on the same festival, which was not great but... interresting, I guess? Mexican soc drama with some of the wierdest creature sex scenes since Possession.

Ah thank you, I was already interested but you've sold me on seeing it.

Roaches only do horror movies about Jinns because muslims unironically believe in them.

Looks like a good list, only seen two of them and agree that they're great. Would have added Green Room but it's debatable how much of a horror movie it is.

Der Nachtmahr was grossartig!
>Neon Demon is just pretty visuals
No, it is not.

Baskin does not have any Jinns and is a pretty cool, and weird, splatter. It also has one of the coolest main villains in recent years.