/prod/

One person responding to themselves for >50 posts in a row

last thread

Upload WIPs on clyp.it/ and please ffs show a little effort with your posts

>ATTENTION!
DON'T post Soundcloud, YouTube, or any other links where you are not anonymous (unless somebody asks you for it). That's considered self promotion and will result in bad feedback.

>RESOURCES:

Sound Design:
>SeamlessR (in-depth music production and sound design tutorials, based on FL Studio)
youtube.com/user/SeamlessR

>Rocket Powered Sound (Constant quality uploads of various EDM sounds in Serum with explanations that help make something unique)
youtube.com/channel/UCFReVt5TAC1zGnuNkgHw-fg

>Syntorial (widely considered the best place to go to learn synthesis)
syntorial.com/

>Mr. Bill (Ableton based, some of the best sound design tutorials on the planet. Aimed more towards IDM-type stuff. He also posts his music here)
youtube.com/user/MrBillsTunes

>BusyWorksBeats (explains hip hop in very elaborate ways in FL Studio)
youtube.com/user/busyworksbeats

>Sadowick (explains old school electronic music in very elaborate ways in Ableton)
youtube.com/user/SadowickProduction

>ADSR Music Production Tutorials
youtube.com/channel/UCf5UKh_cj2_5pUomhyswWYQ

MIXING:

>Point Blank Music School
youtube.com/channel/UCIWNozFjO8yVdJFsGKVmPgg

>Pensado's Place
youtube.com/user/PensadosPlace

>Samori Coles (Compression, EQ, etc)
youtube.com/user/homestudiotutor/videos

>Modern Mixing
youtube.com/user/ModernMixing/videos

FL STUDIO:

>WarBeats (Getting comfortable in FL Studio)
youtube.com/user/nfxbeats/videos

>Image Line Tutorials
youtube.com/user/imageline/playlists

WRITING:

>12tone
youtube.com/channel/UCTUtqcDkzw7bisadh6AOx5w/playlists

>Micheal New
youtube.com/user/Rhaptapsody/playlists

---
join yo!
discord.me/prodthread

Other urls found in this thread:

clyp.it/sftwybj2
clyp.it/g41s5hgy
mentalhealth.com/home/introduction.html
clyp.it/nqsycjea
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

How's this obscure interview sample fitting in?

clyp.it/sftwybj2

weird effects in the reaktor user library?

>obscure

is river phoenix considered underground or something lol

sounds okay at the beginning, after that it's just kind of there and doesn't do much for me.

digging the width of those drums though man

sorry if you guys always get questions like this, but;
if i'm interesting in making music in the way that the pauls boutique instrumentals were made, what programs / equipment would i need? and how would i go about it?
i cant really find any information online and this place seems like the best place to ask, would audacity and a record player with a usb output be all i need?
pic semi related

You'll amount to nothing.

bump

Idk who that is, and unless someone who just so happen to have the same goal as you or has nothing better to do than research it for you, you're not getting help

Don't use audacity. Reaper is winrar free if that's a concern

Does anybody recall what's the software is shown on screen?
Picture's from the OPN's Good Time ost, so I wonder what he used

Reposting the webm because I know he lurks here.

Definitely FL

clyp.it/g41s5hgy

Super early yet, haven't done much in the way of mixing and no reverb or anything like that, how you like the beat though?

Sample is fine. I find the beat and the distant pads to be pretty nice, I got a bit bored of it but I have severe ADD so that isn't saying much.

Sounds like a cyber punk game song
I dig the choppiness

Idk if it was intentional but if it wasn't- don't program pianos perfectly like that lol

>i'm interesting in making music in the way that the pauls boutique instrumentals were made, what programs / equipment would i need? and how would i go about it?
Well Paul’s Boutique was produced by the dust brothers at “The Boat” studio. You can probably search and see what they have in the studio, but at a guess it’ll be a lot of outboard gear.
Paul’s boutique is very sample heavy so you could probably get something simular using samplers. I’m a bit of a Beastie Boy fan and I think they used Akai MPC samplers from around that era I think (maybe a MPC60 too).
You could get simular results by using a Daw with a sampler or adding a 3rd party vsti sampler to get the character sound of the early samplers you will have to play with the bitrates of the samples. (I think the MPC60 was 12 bit)
You’d go about getting the style of sampling by sampling lots of old records, take a look at the sleeve notes and it will list most of the records it samples from. There’s a lot!

>would audacity and a record player with a usb output be all i need?
You basically want a dedicated audio editor like wavelab if you are going to be working with samples a lot, but you could just get away with using the sample editor within your DAW of choice.

Check out the Rhythm Roulette channel on YouTube too.

>pic semi related
I’d say pic very related. So much of the music from that time was made using just a hardware sampler and a record player.

Well the first part is actually recorded on a midi keyboard, I guess you mean the main beat? I wanted it to stay like that because I like the mechanical sort of sound for that bit.
The descending linking section I'm not sure about, it's not 100% quantized but close enough to so I might record that part with the keyboard too so it sounds a bit more """"real"""", it needs to be fairly in time though because of the offbeat nature of it so I'll see how it sounds when I'm closer to finished before I make that call.

Thanks for the feedback bruv.

thankyou! this was a very helpful post :)
im aware of all the samples and thats something i plan on getting into, cause then its not just the bore of making music but also listening to obscure stuff that i otherwise would not listen to. im prolly just going to ask my old relatives for all their old unused records and also just bindive at every chance i can. hopefully something interesting comes out of it
very much so dude! haha idk why i said semi. its a shame with all these copyright laws and """"intellectual property"""" shit. madvillainy did use alot of samples but they didnt steal or copy. its a shame man

>did use alot of samples but they didnt steal or copy
What did he mean by this?

>""""intellectual property""""
It's cool to hate on IP until someone makes a ton of money off your work without even telling you, and suddenly IP starts getting very important.

desu i can understand this but i dont want art to suffer just because >muh intellectual property. hypothetically, if i were a famous artist and made a melody and someone where to take it and make it into something different yet entirely unique im okay with that (ie, madvillainy, pauls boutique, dj shadow) but if they were to just straight rip it (vanilla ice, cant touch this) thats different
fpbp

thankyou! this was a very helpful post :)
No problem. Maschine is basically the software version of the old Akai MPC’s so worth looking into those if you are going the software route. I believe the new Maschine mk3 has built in audio interface too so you can plug a decent quality turntable into it.

>desu i can understand this but i dont want art to suffer just because >muh intellectual property. hypothetically, if i were a famous artist and made a melody and someone where to take it and make it into something different yet entirely unique im okay with that (ie, madvillainy, pauls boutique, dj shadow) but if they were to just straight rip it (vanilla ice, cant touch this) thats different
You're ok with it, but someone else might not be.
For whatever reason they may have, it's their right to decide if they want their work to be used in another song.
If you compose and produce a piece, who am I to decide what can be done with your work?
Especially if you're famous and you have tons of copycats, knockoffs, and opportunists trying to make a buck every way they can.

For example, let's say someone more famous than me takes one of my instrumental songs and sings on it (without releasing it in any way). It would be ok.
But if they asked me to release it, I'd first see if I like them, because my association with them could be harmful or beneficial depending on the situation, so it's my right to decide how my work will be used.
If I like it and I allow them to clear the sample, then everything's ok, but if I don't allow it, then they shouldn't be allowed to release it without my consent.

And I understand not wanting art to suffer, but you can't take something from another person, or force them to give you their work, just so you can base your art on theirs.
Just like there are so many other things we could do to not make art suffer, like steal money to buy gear or have the government impose a heavy tax to finance artistic endeavors.
In other words, it's wrong to sacrifice justice for art because art is nowere near as important as justice.

>desu i can understand this but i dont want art to suffer just because >muh money
See how stupid it sounds?

It's selfish to disregard what other people want in order to get what we want.

Music is essentially just ideas expressed in sound

Ideas are free

Just fuggoff out of music if you can't understand that

Dumbest thing in the universe.

That's like saying that we should be allowed to take other people's money because
>Money is essentially work expressed in debt
>Work is free
>Just fuggoff out of business if you can't understand that

Your bank account credentials are essentially just numbers expressed in codes

Numbers are free

Just fuggoff out of carding if you can't understand that

Fucking lmao, I'd wish you to get your music stolen by a retarded soundcloud rapper who makes millions out of your work, just so you'd see how mad you'd become, but honestly you're too retarded to even make a song good enough for them.

Nope, totally different. Work produces a tangible benefit to society. Music, like ideas, produce intangible benefits and therefore any attempts to monetize it will always be arbitrary and counter-productive.

The only way this could possibly be proven is if an entire industry had grown around the monetization of musical ideas, which acted contrary to the interests of creative expression. I guess we'll just have to wait and see if that ever happens right?

this.
i'm sure if someone like 6ix9ine or any lil* made a song out of your work you'd be calling your lawyers in no time

That's a bad example because it's just them monetizing an idea rather than you. If no one could do that it would be fine. If they profited from it in other ways then you could surely do the same much easier with the added recognition you would get by being the original creator of something which went on to be successful.

Who the fuck would've heard of Taurus in this day and age if Zeppelin didn't rip them off?

>things underage /prod/ posters say

I don't listen to that kind of music so I would never even know. And if they did I wouldn't do anything directly to them, I would just make it known that they ripped me off because people love those kind of stories, then I would get increased exposure and be more successful in my own musical endeavors.

>Nope, totally different. Work produces a tangible benefit to society. Music, like ideas, produce intangible benefits and therefore any attempts to monetize it will always be arbitrary and counter-productive.
Completely made up arbitrary bullshit.

Both work and music (which is work itself) are monetized in the same non-arbitrary way:
Virtually anything is valued at the price that the market is willing to pay for it.
If I work my ass of laying bricks all day and make a fraction of the money a model makes just to appear at a club and say two words, it's because nobody is willing to pay a lot for brick-laying but someone might be willing to pay 6 figures to have Kim Kardashian make a quick appearance at their venue.
Same for music.

This shit is economy 101
If you don't know this, you should shut up because you literally don't know the basics of what you're talking about.

>and counter-productive
Fucking how?
>Oh yeah, let's not pay musicians for their work, because it's better to allow rappers to steal from them than to allow them to make a living doing music. That's productive!

>The only way this could possibly be proven is if an entire industry had grown around the monetization of musical ideas
Like the current music industry?
I'm not understanding.

>which acted contrary to the interests of creative expression
Being inspired by other music is perfectly fine, creative, and encouraged. This is creative expression.
Copying or straight up sampling the work of someone else is barely on the line of what can be considered as such.
Taking money out of the music job is the perfect way to completely kill most creative expression, by forcing musicians to work in other careers instead of pursuing a lifetime of musical work.

>I guess we'll just have to wait and see if that ever happens right?
???

>If you don't know this, you should shut up because you literally don't know the basics of what you're talking about.
Truly it had never occurred to me that people pay money for things. Thank you.

>I'm not understanding.
You're not wrong about that my friend.

>That's a bad example because it's just them monetizing an idea rather than you.
>an idea
Yeah, the tens of hours, money (mastering, investments in gear, etc), and effort that I put into the song are literally just an idea that can be freely used to do whatever anyone wants because who gives a shit about what the creator went through to make it.
>using reductionism ever
I guess my knife is just atoms and your neck is atoms too, so there should be no problem if i made them touch really fast, right?

Do you believe books, movies, videogames, and all types of media, are ideas too?
Books should be free, right?
Each new book, movie, etc. should be uploaded for free online, so that people can use them as they please, because god forbit we tried to monetize IDEAS, which would totally be counterproductive and ARBITRARY.

FUCKING LMAO.

>If they profited from it in other ways then you could surely do the same much easier with the added recognition you would get by being the original creator of something which went on to be successful.
What if I don't want to?
What if being associated with the rapper ruined my reputation?
What if I hate rappers because my uncle used to rap while he molested me?
What if I already licensed it and it's under a contract that prohibits me from using it for other stuff?
What if I just don't want to be associated with it?
Should I be forced to, just because the rapper can't compose his own music?
His wanting to use my work is more important tham my not wanting it to be used by him?

>Who the fuck would've heard of Taurus in this day and age if Zeppelin didn't rip them off?
Just because a successful group did it it doesn't mean it's ok.
If Spirit didn't want their song to be used, than they should've had the opportunity to say no.

That's just because you believe it's a good thing.
What if you didn't want to?
Should you be forced to let them use your work anyway?
What if you end up not being able to monetize the fact that they ripped you off (like most actual producers who've had that happen)?
Would you still be happy about it?

>Truly it had never occurred to me that people pay money for things. Thank you.
Nice strawman.
I'm not saying that you don't know that money is exchanged for goods and services.
I'm saying that you don't know how the price for such exchange is decided, since you said it would be arbitrary (which is doubly stupid, as it "wouldn't" be anything, since it already IS monetized, and has been for millennia).

>You're not wrong about that my friend.
>Retard says something that doesn't make sense
"That's incomprehensible you retard"
>Haha, you can't comprehend what I'm saying
>Haha you're stupid

This is how you sound like.

I'm done explaining no-brainer shit to a troll pretending to be a 12yo.
I'm going to bed.

Lmao and they say trolling is dead

Did I just witness someone get shitposted into a meltdown?

Lmfao it was probably phaser

NO IT WASN'T

mentalhealth.com/home/introduction.html

just get mpc 2000 or something man

I have sampletrak st224 and I know how to use it but for the life of me I can't figure out how to record/save the beats I make. I don't have a memory card so I can't save them on it. don't have a laptop to save or record them on either is there an app that records external audio?

Dont listen to any of the other replies you got. Paul's Boutique was largely a live band effort with a lot of sampling, but also a lot of sampling of themselves. I have also been to the boat, it has an ultra rare neve 8028 console, studer 800 tape machines and a lot of very interesting gear. I visited that studio long after the dust brothers had been there, but I did hear that they were also quite the collectors of strange and rare gear. The answer to your question is no, but you can still quality music with that setup and a lot of effort.

do unidirectional condensers exist? i prefer the tone of condensers over my sm57 but they would pick up too much ambient noise

So as pretty much always, I have a chord progression that I am somewhat happy with, but its just a 25 second bit. I loop it and have other things develop in the background and its 50 seconds.
You'd think I'd have a track going at that point, but for the life of me I cant think of another melody that compliments it, like a regular verse/chorus. When I sit down with it all I can start playing is either a very cheesy keyboard melody to put on top or inversions or something otherwise completely derivative of the original chord progression.

I have some melodies in my head that I can get down, but I cant compose a full track out of it. How do I learn to?

this is probably too specific but does anyone here know how to relocate files for ESX24 instruments

when you have them in the project files you made them in but when you try to load them in other projects it says it can't locate the samples?

there must be an easy way to just find where the files are but i can't figure it out

in the one project where it loads open the instruement and then choose export sampler instrument and sample files

>clyp.it/sftwybj2
Where's the pad background sample from? Sounds good. The interview sample is fitting. If you want to mix it more in the front try grouping all your tracks minus the sample and make a eq cut at around 3khz and boost the sample a bit at 3khz but it's pretty easy to hear now anyway.

I need your opinions /prod/. Is this mixed well? Listen to it if you want a boner or lo-fi house feels. Posted it here some days ago and have changed the mix because of the nice response.

WIP: clyp.it/nqsycjea

this seems to have worked thank u very much

why are there so many variations in speakers quality and cost. Why are there cheap monitors and why don't they just make the high end ones cheap. They're just like a cone and wires, such a rip off, is it all a conspiracy

Dont listen to this cunt. They're fucking lying and have never been to the boat