Nothing but shallow water all around

>nothing but shallow water all around
>"there's nothing here"
>after robot pulls out a piece of metal from water, suddenly there is floating shit everywhere
>giant wave out of fucking nowhere

What the hell, Nolan?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/o_Ay_iDRAbc?t=2m2s
youtube.com/watch?v=uwmeH6Rnj2E
twitter.com/AnonBabble

seismic activity

This scene still gibs me goosebumps imagine being on another planet and visually identifying a mountain as a wave.

hi, this makes no sence

> Interstellar travel
> with a walking PS4

And the music

>youtu.be/o_Ay_iDRAbc?t=2m2s

When they arrived to the fucking planet or whatever and it was nothing but water I got the feels.
Kinda like The Mist ending, other than that I didn't really like the movie

youtube.com/watch?v=uwmeH6Rnj2E

>planet full of nothing but water
>Ship debris everywhere
>Giant wave coming
>Know fully well that time is extremely slow there
>Rust tells you to get the fuck back to the ship
>"Noo I need the data"

Literally the worst fucking character ever. Her love speech pales in comparison to this.

>Dude can't stop thinking about his daughter
>Higher forces read his brain and decide to show him his daughter
THIS MEANS IT WAS LOVE THE WHOLE TIME.

>he doesn't worship data
Pathetic

>shallow water only 1ft deep.
>100ft waves happens

Here's a question about this stupid fucking movie, why didn't they go check out the other possible landing locations before landing here? They knew going down this planet would have some temporal bullshit time mumbo jumbo when they first saw it. If I were in that situation my first thought would be "Wow, that sounds like a potentially disastrous expedition to take, especially if something were to go wrong. Better go check out that other planet first and see if maybe its a bit more stable. If not, then we can double back and check this place out." But instead they go right down, get stuck, lose a bunch of time and force uncle space tom to age like a decade for literally nothing.

I appreciate Nolans cinematography (as predictable as it is) but it's the scripts that always kill the movies for me. Its like he knows people aren't smart enough to pay even a little attention, so he leaves these gargantuan holes in the scripts and everyone acts like he's this autour director when he seems to me to be a total hack.

This movie fucking sucked. The visuals were cool. That's it.

Doesn't that mean in actuality it was just the future species reading brain waves and it was in fact science the entire time and that anne hathaway was a dumb bitch with a shifty father and I'm glad they both died?

I'm assuming the planets would have been in a different place when they got back (because you know, planets move) to the point where they wouldn't have enough fuel to do that. I may be making this up though

Are you the kind of braindead autist that expects movie characters to make perfect decisions every time ?

The water is that shallow because there are giant waves.

Because they focused entirely on data from the Lazarus missions. They had promising data from Dr Miller and knew there was water so that was enough reason in and of itself.

Dr Mann also put out data saying to go there. Nobody considered that a decade of total isolation could have fucked with his head, and no one finds it suspicious at all that his proof of the data is dismantled and "needs a human touch."

I did not like this one because its like the fucking director tried to combine Kubricks 2001 and Tarkovksys Solaris 1972 and normal fags still thought this shit was original.

Are you the kind of braindead autist that willingly accepts retarded decision making from characters that are all supposed to be the most qualified people on the planet?

What makes you say that? It's been a long time since I've seen 2001.

Yes.

They didn't have enough fuel. Were you even paying attention?

> planet has way stronger gravity than earth yet they reach escape velocity with the lander unlike when leaving earth
> dude has waited for them over 20 years alone in space yet remains exactly the same
> cooper literally travels into a singularity and comes back alive
> genius daughter wept over daddy for more than 100 years but sends him away at first sight
> cooper doesn't care or ask about his son after coming back
> love

Bravo Nolan
r
a
v
o

N
o
l
a
n

It doesn't take a genius to know that a planet covered in two feet of water, with no land, that when you visit it causes time to pass exponentially faster for you is a terrible place to land first. Especially when your mission to save the human race is time sensitive. They had good leads on the other planets and the fuel to do a survey. Or shit, just send one of the fucking robots down, since they seem like the only half competent people on the crew. It was a terrible choice and if I can see that then the mission leader should have seen that as well. Stupid plot point that served as nothing more than an somewhat interesting set piece that caused more narrative problems than it solved.

Nolan is going to the hackentino route by playing homage to specifically Kubrick. So far got Nolan's take on Eyes Wide shut via dreams ala Inception, Nolan's take on space and Nolan's upcoming take on War. All we're missing is Nolan's take on Victorian aristocratic societies, a rogue modern British man, a psychological horror,
and Nolan's take on intimate relationships with children.

Screencap this

They didn't know the planet was covered in water, just that it had water.

This movie sucked desu, wasted 2 hours oml.

That's not how goddamn waves work fucking hell

They should have waited a few revolutions and done a proper survey. Might have saved them 20 years.

i barfed

>normal fags

Found the autist!

I love how the characters literally debate this exact dilemma, weighing the pros and cons, and you're still claiming it's a flaw in the script. Moron.

>not understanding the genius of nolan

Sup Forums is full of turbo-plebs

And it's still a flaw because the conclusions they come to are backward and illogical.

>name calling

>cooper doesn't care or ask about his son after coming back

kek, tru

You are fucking brain dead. Go back to Sup Forums.

>lets save time by wasting 7 years minimum

This is literally the argument that gets them on the surface of the planet.

knee-high water with next too zero waves

suddenly a giant mountain wave

true kino

>literally

It isn't at all the argument that gets them on the planet, much less literally the argument. Your IQ can't be higher than 60.

Nolan is getting sloppier by the movie. Still, it was an entertaining but faulty one time watch. Unlike Star Trek Beyond.

Why couldn't Rust and crew communicate with the different advance parties on the various planets? They were all on the same side of the 'wormhole', must have been easier to communicate than with Earth.

damn her arms look LONG

>A walking, talking monolith
Bravo, Nolan.

why did time speed up so quickly by visiting that one planet?

because it was next to a black hole

When you move 2fast time dilates.
That dilatation is only for everything moving at that particular speed, so the moving object will age slower compared to an object that remains stationary.
This is the underlying mechanic of all these "time dilation" effects on sci-fi, how this relates to this particular case I don't remember eaxctly.

science, bitch

>love = gravity

What did Nolan mean by this?

So everyone ITT is talking about how bizarre the water planet is, but is it scientifically plausible at all?

Anything is scientifically plausible if you write a paper to say it is and some other crackpot agrees with you

it's exaggerated. the waves would be less pronounced, but still km high, so being sucked into one would be just like a fucking elevator up and down.

that amount of time dilatation is also possible, just not likely at fucking all.

tidal pull of the black hole did that
le black science man even confirmed it

Hathaway's fat ogre shit was a bit too much for me, Nolan wen't too far with that one. Thank god I disn't see it in theatres

>floating shit everywhere
what floating shit?

>movie literally tells you what's going on
>fag still makes thread questioning what happened

How is the water so fucking shallow all over the planet? It's barely knee height.

how did their monitoring equipment survive thousands of mile high tsunamis?

its probably about the same as ours but most of it is just concentrated in the waves which is just the gravity of the black hole pulling on the ocean making a huge bump

>was there for a decade
Waterplanetfag wasn't even there for an HOUR before the mountain waves fucked his shit up
>land on planet
>"oh look the whole thing is water, cool"
>[HI TEAM. THIS PLANET IS SAFE AND HAS WATER. SENDING]
>"nice mountains ARGAUSGSVH-"

they were on top of the highest mountain

Nolan records his actors mumbling into a cereal box, I couldn't understand half of what RustAIDS was saying

So you're telling me there's no dry land on the planet at all? With all the concentrated water you'd think there would be at least a little dry hill sticking up here and there.

the wave has no real breach at the top cause its not landing on anything, its not like earth waves caused by currents or wind, its caused by the tidal pull of the black hole
so when it passes over you you just drift up and over it rather than it smashing into you

So you're a retard and don't know how tsunamis work. That's not Nolan's problem. Do you want Chris Nolan to go to your house and educate you on how tsunamis work just so you won't get confused by his movie? That's not his job. That's your problem. Don't get mad at Chris Nolan because you don't know how tsunamis work.

its not a tsunami you mong

Yeah, it is. Not only is it a tsunami, it operates exactly how a tsunami would act on a planet of that size in that proximity to a black hole. It's not Chris Nolan's fault that you don't know this.

its literally a tsunami planet, that's that happens there, fucking tsunamis 24/7

maybe there was? just not in this shot, idk
they couldve flown around for a bit
familiarize themselves with the planet
not get caught off guard by the waves, idk

I don't get why people get butthurt over the love stuff. She was getting emotional over not going to save her husband. Same with Matt being emotionally connected with his daughter doesnt mean he's sending a telepathic love message.

no, tsunamis are caused by seismic activity, this was just a super tide caused by the black hole

Why was a planet next door to a black hole even considered as a possible second earth?

Tsunamis on earth are caused by seismic activity. Tsunamis are not defined by their cause. Tsunamis can be caused by lots of variables. In this case, it was not seismic activity that caused this tsunami. It's not Chris Nolan's fault that you don't know this.

Because earth has a black hole next door...

somehow i doubt a tsunami just refers to any big wave
and even then it wasnt technically a wave, it was the tide

we don't have tsunamis going off every day because of it

Wrong on both accounts. Either watch the movie again or be quiet.

IT WAS A TIDAL WAVE YOU FUCKING PLEB.

I AM AN OCEANOGRAPHER. SHUT THE FUCK UP ABOUT TSUNAMIS.

THEY ARE TWO COMPLETELY DIFFERENT THINGS.

YOU ARE OUT OF YOUR ELEMENT. SHUT THE FUCK UP.

>wrong
whaddayamean wrong
its literally the tide
thats what this planet was all about
proximity to gargantua made the tides go nuts as seen in this scene, making it uninhabitable

A black hole isn't inherently more dangerous than a star.
As long as you're on orbit and you're on that sweet spot where the temperature isn't too extreme it's okay.

If earth had a black hole as close as the one in this movie, super tsunamis would be the least of our problems.

i don't get the time passed part, i know it would be for the people on earth
but the black dude was in the space ship just fucking 100 feet away yet he aged like 20 years because he didn't get outside, is there something special inside the space ship?

>movie isnt realistic

BRAVO

that's what i mean, you don't want to move right next to a black hole, not even being racist here

see i knew it

answer this dammit

Most of the people in these Interstellar thread HAVE to be baiting. You couldn't possibly be this dumb

>Science is for them fancy educated city folks and not for wholwsome American boy like me and my 'pa

some einstein relativity bullshit

welcome to Trump's america.
jk, maga. this is the new "thanks obama".

enlighten us please ohcean grapher

how did a black hole allow Rusty McTivo to terrorize his daughter from behind her bookshelf millions of light years away?

Extremely high gravity warps time, in fact all gravity does on a very tiny level.

This was first discovered when we started putting atomic clocks on satellites. Just being a few hundred kilometers above Earth, the clocks would synchronize with the clocks on Earth, for Earth gravity it's extremely small amounts down to like 15 decimal points, but still there. A black hole would have much more of an effect.

Also, high speed travel causes relativistic time travel. The closer you approach the speed of light, the "slower" you perceive time, the slower your atoms move, etc. If you got on a space ship that circled the Earth at 99% the speed of light, you would experience a brisk 30 minute trip while on Earth tens, or hundreds of years would have passed. This is like a time capsule effect and likely the only possible form of "time travel". But of course that shit's one way since you're not really breaking time, just changing your perception of it's forward flow.

These are things you should have learned around 8th grade science class, maybe 10th at latest when you're starting physics. Where did you go to school?

movie magic ;^)

It's a pretty cool robot design.

Just because a teacher tells you something, does not mean it is the truth. The science around black holes and relativity is still speculative, yet you act as if it is gospel.