/lang/ - Language learning

>What language are you learning?
>Share language learning experiences!
>Help people who want to learn a new language!
>Find people to train your language with!

Check the first few replies ITT for plenty of language ressources as well as some nice image guides.

Other urls found in this thread:

4chanint.wikia.com/wiki/The_Official_Sup
duolingo.com/
drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B9QDHej9UGAdcDhWVEllMzJBSEk#
fsi-languages.yojik.eu/languages/oldfsi/index.html
memrise.com/
lingvist.com/
clozemaster.com/languages
tatoeba.org/eng/
forvo.com
effectivelanguagelearning.com/language-guide/language-difficulty
lexicity.com/
cosmogyros.tumblr.com/post/108962232110/huge-new-language-learning-collection
dliflc.edu/resources/products/
en.childrenslibrary.org
hellotalk.com/#en
italki.com/
mylanguageexchange.com/
interpals.net/
gospeaky.net/
speaky.com/
polyglotclub.com/
lang-8.com/
goethe-verlag.com/
languagetransfer.org/
babadum.com
context.reverso.net/translation/
youtu.be/PDEgsjSZnfc
youtube.com/watch?v=-AuTDKjfdyc
youtube.com/watch?v=Wy1Gd3PfhFs
youtube.com/watch?v=Gxaa3AG9Z8s
youtube.com/watch?v=0hQCKkqmDlw
youtube.com/watch?v=tGa5-nojscY
youtube.com/watch?v=7RW8n4iXZbA
youtube.com/watch?v=ADLXgh1IBeY
youtube.com/watch?v=hluVrTixQwI
youtube.com/watch?v=HDIBU25z6X4
youtube.com/watch?v=iyN179DDJjU
youtube.com/watch?v=MhDlMVl9p8w
youtube.com/watch?v=xQw6AeAr5bw
youtube.com/watch?v=UDuIh_RvUxk
youtube.com/watch?v=2dP1soraUFY
youtube.com/watch?v=Dlp0FdBYubw
youtube.com/watch?v=XU3AXyZQzQ8
youtube.com/watch?v=5r2MzXLlvlo
youtube.com/watch?v=DA3NBgktpbw
youtube.com/watch?v=PtsMi4dtl1o
youtube.com/watch?v=2XgAzg40cMw
youtube.com/watch?v=H450BoeBA8c
youtube.com/watch?v=IQi8zcWWBbk
youtube.com/watch?v=funUmy69j4I
youtube.com/watch?v=hilPSLUFK2Q
pastebin.com/4NkHPH8w
uploaded
rutracker.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4315413 - 2009 ~ 2015 - 9.28 GB
drive.google.com/drive/folders/0B9QDHej9UGAdNWpOaFBYYjBSZGc
web.archive.org/web/20141115180333/http://kickass.to/polish-and-ukrainian-language-learning-pack-updated-t6375974.html
spanishdict.com/answers/133127/what-is-the-difference-between-te-tu-ti-
youtube.com/watch?v=_O9Rf02Lxnw
greatlanguagegame.com/
my.mixtape.moe/fabvgq.webm
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Russian_grammar
russianforeveryone
masterrussian
learnrussian
pushkininstitute
vk
youtube
dropbox.com/sh/y21mzpkzwngqqb5/AAD6yaXXIH7PbDUhdNgmmYR_a?dl=0
aprendereuskera.com/en/Course of Basque 2009.pdf
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

>Language learning resources:
4chanint.wikia.com/wiki/The_Official_Sup Forums_How_to_Learn_A_Foreign_Language_Guide_Wiki

duolingo.com/
>Duolingo is a free language-learning platform that includes a language-learning website and app, as well as a digital language proficiency assessment exam. Duolingo offers all its language courses free of charge.

>Torrents with more resources than you'll ever need for 30+ languages.

drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B9QDHej9UGAdcDhWVEllMzJBSEk#
>Google Drive folder with books for all kinds of languages.

fsi-languages.yojik.eu/languages/oldfsi/index.html
>Drill based courses with text and audio.The Foreign Service Institute (FSI) is the United States federal government's primary training institution for employees of the U.S. foreign affairs community.These courses are all in public domain and free to download.Site may go down sometimes but you can search for fsi on google and easily find a mirror.

memrise.com/
>Free resource to learn vocabulary, nice flash cards.

lingvist.com/
>It's kinda like Clozemaster in the sense that you get a sentence and have to fill in the missing word, also has nice statistics about your progress, grammar tips and more information about a word (noun gender, verb aspects for Russian, etc.)

ankisrs.net/
>A flash card program

clozemaster.com/languages
>Clozemaster is language learning gamification through mass exposure to vocabulary in context.Can be a great supplementary tool, not recommended for absolute beginners.

tatoeba.org/eng/
>Tatoeba is a collection of sentences and translations with over 300 hundred languages to chose from.

radio.garden/
>Listen to radio all around the world through an interactive globe

forvo.com
>Has pronunciation for lots of words in lots of languages

effectivelanguagelearning.com/language-guide/language-difficulty
>Check out information about languages and their difficulties

lexicity.com/
>An invaluable resource for comparative language study as well as those interested in ancient languages

cosmogyros.tumblr.com/post/108962232110/huge-new-language-learning-collection
>A very extensive language learning collection for 90+ languages.

dliflc.edu/resources/products/
>Similar to FSI, drill-based courses with text and audio issued by the US government.These courses were made for millitary personel in mind unlike FSI.

en.childrenslibrary.org
>Lots of childrens books in various languages, categories 3-5yo, 6-9yo, 10-13yo.

hellotalk.com/#en
>The app is basically whatsapp, but only connects you with people who are native in the language you are trying to learn. It also has a facebook type section where you can share pics and stuff too.

italki.com/
mylanguageexchange.com/
interpals.net/
gospeaky.net/
speaky.com/
polyglotclub.com/
lang-8.com/
>Few more language exchange communities like Hellotalk:

goethe-verlag.com/
>A mostly free site which offers audio and drill like exercises for 40+ languages.

languagetransfer.org/
>A free resource with recordings to learn a language.

babadum.com
>Flash card game with a focus on vocabulary.

context.reverso.net/translation/
>A website like Tatoeba (also has a Firefox extension!)

Previous thread:

i fucked up so hard

Fuck off gypsy

t. somali

I'm not the one spamming Swedish language classes, fuck off, nobody should learn Swedish.

it's just a flowchart jeez
also why not

What have you done today for your language studies?

I just reviewed a duolingo lesson not much desu.

Listening to music in my target language.

youtu.be/PDEgsjSZnfc

tfw the only German songs I know are rap and hip hop
Can anyone recommend better songs?

rammstein : ^)

I listened/did Pimsleur Spanish Lesson 21 today on the way to work. I'll replay it again on the way home.

Why do Spanish speakers scream so much?

whats the difference between tù and ti in Spanish?

Ti is either the accusative or dative form I think. Not learning Spanish so might be wrong.

youtube.com/watch?v=-AuTDKjfdyc
youtube.com/watch?v=Wy1Gd3PfhFs
youtube.com/watch?v=Gxaa3AG9Z8s
youtube.com/watch?v=0hQCKkqmDlw
youtube.com/watch?v=tGa5-nojscY
youtube.com/watch?v=7RW8n4iXZbA
youtube.com/watch?v=ADLXgh1IBeY
youtube.com/watch?v=hluVrTixQwI
youtube.com/watch?v=HDIBU25z6X4
youtube.com/watch?v=iyN179DDJjU
youtube.com/watch?v=MhDlMVl9p8w
youtube.com/watch?v=xQw6AeAr5bw
youtube.com/watch?v=UDuIh_RvUxk
youtube.com/watch?v=2dP1soraUFY
youtube.com/watch?v=Dlp0FdBYubw
youtube.com/watch?v=XU3AXyZQzQ8
youtube.com/watch?v=5r2MzXLlvlo
youtube.com/watch?v=DA3NBgktpbw
youtube.com/watch?v=PtsMi4dtl1o
youtube.com/watch?v=2XgAzg40cMw
youtube.com/watch?v=H450BoeBA8c

Tried to put all sorts of genres and shit.

So, guys, I don't have an uvula, does anyone know if it's possible for me to learn French without sounding like a retard?

I've heard that uvula takes a part in pronunciation of the guttural sounds in French and Hebrew.

Where do I go after completing spanish on Duolingo?

Is there something for free or is it shekels now?

Currently learning German, I'm having a hard time with pronouns and genders, halp me Hans.
Any German kids books that I can download?

What else have you done?

I'm learning Spanish and I'm using these tools concurrently, but at a slower rate obviously:
Pimsleur Spanish
Michel Thomas
Duolingo
Lingvist

Pimsleur is prioritized for now, and then Michel Thomas I listen to as time allows. Pimsleur isn't my favorite, but it works well in the car. Then at night I'll try to listen to Michel Thomas. Duolingo is alright but I consider it more of a supplement. Lingvist is great for vocab, but I've slowed using it because my vocab is way ahead of my grammar.

how good are the resources for biblical greek and hebrew?

doesn't arabic have cases too?
at least the MSA

How did Duolingo work for you? What's your level now?

where's the german version?

Yes but there are usually rules that help you guess the gender of a word, I'm fluent in French too and it has the same thing, but in German there aren't many

i don't have any, sorry
there are some gender rules in german
look them up

there must be native French speakers who don't have uvulae so it's clearly possible.

No one learning German attempted to make one.

do you know if there is one for polish?

So I'm going to boarding school for my junior year of high school this year and all the classes are college level

Technically I already have all the foreign language credits I need but I want to actually learn a language some.

I'm deciding between Spanish and Japanese, I think I'm gonna end up doing Spanish though. I leared hiragana and katakana through self-study a while back but I don't want to be in a class full of weebs

OP posted all we have except for this one, so no.

>you should listen to nazi songs desu

>george pell

ok thx

just use Spotify
youtube.com/watch?v=IQi8zcWWBbk
youtube.com/watch?v=funUmy69j4I
youtube.com/watch?v=hilPSLUFK2Q

learn chinese : ^)

Fuck that shit, that is the ugliest language I've ever had the misfortune of hearing.

but you've got the temperament of spainiards with the soullesness of east asians

>fsi-languages.yojik.eu/languages/oldfsi/index.html
Has anyone actually used these to learn german? I've already done some Duolingo and Michel Thomas, looking to expand to something different.

they're used by diplomats, so they're probably useful for the average schlomo

Horst-Wessel Lied

Does anyone know if learning the stroke order of Chinese characters actually helps learn the language? I've heard differing opinions.

A review of the language
pastebin.com/4NkHPH8w

A course of the language but it's in Portuguese
uploaded net/file/9g3253qw/Curso.Polones.p.Iniciantes.rar

Polishpod101
rutracker.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4315413 - 2009 ~ 2015 - 9.28 GB

In Indo-European/Balto-Slavic, get the grammar books
drive.google.com/drive/folders/0B9QDHej9UGAdNWpOaFBYYjBSZGc

Language Pack
web.archive.org/web/20141115180333/http://kickass.to/polish-and-ukrainian-language-learning-pack-updated-t6375974.html

I'd say follow the general guidelines and tips shown in the previous pictures, especially the Swedish one.

>Taarof
I'm barely polite in English, this is gonna be real difficult.

I kinda have one half done for Spanish but embarrassed to post it. I'm such a novice I'm not sure I'm doing anyone much of a service.

Nice, thank you Huebro

How does pimsleur work?

spanishdict.com/answers/133127/what-is-the-difference-between-te-tu-ti-

Go watch some tv in Spanish, listen to music and learn the lyrics, or read something. Just try to interact consisntently with the language as much as possible.

Just pick the one you like the most. If you learned to read and write in Japanese it's because you liked it, and who attends to that course shouldn't be a concern of yours.

Post it and clarify that it isn't complete yet, and that any kind of help would be helpful.

Wow that's a lot. Thank you for your time.

Lafı mı olur canım benim.

They're about 30 minute long audios that slowly work you up to an ok conversational level I guess.
They have the "lesson 1" of a few languages on their youtube, eg this spanish one
youtube.com/watch?v=_O9Rf02Lxnw

>How does pimsleur work?
It's a listen and repeat audio learning trainer. I'm not in love with it, but it has been working well as part of a more comprehensive learning package. I'm trying to keep my learning tools diversified.

>Post it and clarify that it isn't complete yet, and that any kind of help would be helpful.
Hm okay. See attached.

that's unironically nice

why would you be shy to post that? I wish my fucking chart () was even half as aesthetic as yours

Your guide looks good desu, please keep at it.

Thank you. I wasn't shy about looks as much as giving advice when I'm still a beginner myself. But, I promise to keep updating it as I get better and find better ways to learn.

I'm also keeping track of my hours, which I think in the end might be useful to some people.

>What language are you learning?
Mandarin Chinese. I don't know where to start. I'm overwhelmed. This is a whole new ballgame compared to German.

Thank you. I will keep at it and publish updates as I get further along, maybe even fairly frequently, so I gave it a version number.

Don't you mean "...in my case, due to sheer necessity." ?

Also, let's play some greatlanguagegame.com/
Fun for the whole family!

I'm very confused by the Persian alphabet, it pretty clearly isn't a pure abjad because they write some vowels, but they're all represented with one of 2 symbols. How do I know what vowel is in a word?

Just learned the Mari word for "thread" (as in a forum thread or a 4chinz thread)

I'm pleasantly surprised, I had assumed that for such a recent technical word they would have just used the Russian word or something similar.

YOU DON'T KNOW A THING ABOUT THE SQUAD

Every fucking time I hear Portuguese I guess wrong. My brain keeps expecting something Spanish sounding but it sounds more like fucking Russian or something.

No near. Meaning "It's almost a necessity"

I live in Miami and I have a workforce that almost solely speaks Spanish. I'd like to be able to communicate with them even though not a job requirement (I think it should be desu).

ya tú sabes, wey

>one of the clips is in Quebec French
top lel, I wonder if they did on purpose to pick a difficult/weird dialect or if it was an accident

Any recs for books/sites on Russian grammar? Duolingo is nice and all but I'm looking for something more focused.
Also what does чe mean, is it slang for something?

my.mixtape.moe/fabvgq.webm

this game fukken cheats

Wikipedia usually have really good grammar summaries. Maybe for russian also en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Russian_grammar

I've never heard that used in that way.

Russian:

Grammar
russianforeveryone com/
masterrussian com/
goo gl/sLiKvV A Basic Modern Russian Grammar by Eugenia Nekrasova

Courses
learnrussian rt com/
pushkininstitute ru/
- Russian Course - Nicholas Brown

Books
vk com/russian_easy/books

Russian slags teaching your Russian, supposedly.
youtube com/user/christinakochneva/playlists
youtube com/channel/UCyJznKYS9kkP7RWWq3YAbFw
youtube com/user/vanilla167333
youtube com/channel/UC4-8WZbXxl2186au5BiNqgw

Had to reformat the .com because spam filter.

for what I can remember, чë was like a short form of чтo.

portuguese = drunk spanish

I can't beat that language game because I can fuck all recognize any Indian language.

Alright thanks everyone

Have not really done much else desu senpai.

Was looking at but seems like it is latin american spanish.

Pretty well but I kept forgetting things as completing the tree took a long time for me. If you have time to go back and repeat stuff I guess it works well

any sites/resources for learning Yoruba? I keep trying to find stuff but there's nothing that goes beyond consonant/vowel sounds and numbers

I found this in the tumblr post from the OP, it's from '69 though.
dropbox.com/sh/y21mzpkzwngqqb5/AAD6yaXXIH7PbDUhdNgmmYR_a?dl=0

>Spend all day prepping to restart Russian this evening.
>New penguin, put Pimsleur on phone, download 10000 anki pack.

>Learn about Song nearly reaching an industrial revultion and watch a video on chinese cooking.

Now i want to learn Chinese.

Why is my brain such a traitorous bastard and is there any way to stop this happening?

aprendereuskera.com/en/Course of Basque 2009.pdf

Here's a PDF in English if you want to learn Basque.

There aren't very many resources online for learning Basque, it's rather difficult as a language and there's quite a bit of difference between spoken/colloquial and written Basque, but hopefully some of you get use out of it.

zorte on.

What word do they use? Russian borrows the word "thread" from English. There have been attempts to translate it as "нить" but they don't stick; at most it is sometimes used in thread titles to evoke I assume a formal feeling.

Hить or (((konac))) in croatian kek, it fucking awful in both languages

"Чe" (pronounced "чo") replaces both "чтo" and "чeгo", but in a number of situations it is grammatically incorrect to replace these words with "чe" (learn them yourself by observation). Be very careful, this word marks a very informal or disrespectful type of speech. It's basically borderline profanity.

Lmao, yeah. The Japanese say "thread" (almost) as well so that lent the borrowing some credence too. I'm 100% okay with saying тpeд.

>I've never heard that used in that way.
It is more slang than proper english. I noticed necessity was spelled wrong too. Update attached.

Over time I'd like to remove the I's and make it a bit less casual maybe. I don't know what is easier for people to read.

I feel like it maybe needs a big flag or something too so people can see what language it is as a thumbnail.

In general dutch, thread or topic is used, but here on Sup Forums we translate every english term literally. Thus, we have nederdraad, which in german would be NiederDraht

>In general dutch, thread or topic is used
Same. I think I never heard thread before imageboards became a thing, though.

>Thus, we have nederdraad, which in german would be NiederDraht
There's no need for camel case, so just Niederdraht. I don't really care about /deutsch/ but they generally say Thread.

Russian is generally resistant to imported chan culture at this point so greentexting still hasn't become a thing beside crude attempts. I think it is so because it is unclear what verb tense to use whilst greentexting, as every variant sounds off including the infinitive, for some reason. So the greentexting I've seen is limited to lists of nouns.

I've got a question.
Is "thence" still used? I can't recall seeing it anywhere.

And what about "tis' " and "whence"?

Nope, I've never heard it used in normal speech before.

I don't think I've ever seen it outside of older books. Pretty rare. On the other hand, 'whence' is still slightly common in academic settings. "tis" is not used purposely. More of an accident when speaking fast I suppose.

Same for those as well.

I want to learn jap to read a few book series that are never going to get translated to English. They're pretty complex and from what I can see have quite a bit of uncommon vocabulary and a lot of kanji, so how many years should I expect it to take to be able to read then without stopping every ten seconds to look something up? Let's assume I study one hour a day minimum and maybe more on the weekend. A ballpark estimate is fine.

>I'd like to be able to communicate with them even though not a job requirement (I think it should be desu).

Should be the other way around; the spics should use English.

what books?
if they're light novels then remember that young adults are supposed to be able to read them
so like a year of two
although if you're artistic enough less

"apшaш"

It has many different definitions, but one of them is "bunch, bundle, string", thus similar to "thread" in English.

Also, I've only noticed a couple of examples of it being used like this, so it's quite possible that, much like the Russian "нить", it's only used by some people, whereas most people would simply use "тpeд". It's hard to find many examples of either word being used in the context of Mari.

Well, I agree they all should learn English. It is absolutely amazing that they can't, considering after a month of learning Spanish I can already speak more Spanish than many of them can speak English and many of them have been here for a decade or more.

The problem in Miami is you don't need to speak English, there is so much Spanish that English is really just not needed. You don't need it to shop, or go to the doctor, or talk to the police. They have their own little neighborhoods like Hialeah that are Spanish only and not even the store signs are in English.

I for sure have a problem with this attitude, but to make my life easier I'm just going to learn Spanish. I figure it is good for my brain and good for my productivity. Plus if I stay here in Miami it is probably good for my social life.

I'm living in Buffalo and met a Cuban man who said exactly that. He got here in the US and was working in Miami for a while and decided he would get nowhere doing that, so he moved to Las Vegas and started driving cabs. Speaks English very well and probably lives better thanks to it.

Crest/Banner of the Stars and Guin Saga. Had also wanted to read some classic nip poetry but after looking into it I learned that's basically another language so I'll settle for those two for the time being.