Stop reading pitchfork

Stop reading pitchfork

Other urls found in this thread:

pitchfork.com/features/oped/how-to-be-a-responsible-music-fan-in-the-age-of-streaming/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

i don't think anyone here unironically reads pitchfork

I did.
Chris Ott still has bad opinions though.
This place is /r/indieheads now of course there are people like that.

you really think they care if you're "ironically" reading them or not? as long as this board keeps bitching about everything they write, giving it more attention and clicks they've won

didn't realize they were relevant after 2006

they're more relevant than ever, not that it's a good thing. I see actual normalfags talking about pitchfork reviews now since they decided to be a mainstream pop music site

I did years ago. Unfortunately because I come here though, I unintentionally read them by proxy

>Chris Ott still has bad opinions though.
list them

pitchfork.com/features/oped/how-to-be-a-responsible-music-fan-in-the-age-of-streaming/
This was good though

Thinking Distintegration Loops is just hackery.
Thinking people shouldn't talk about what they've been listening to.
He's got individual opinions which is why I still like him but he has some bad ones for sure.

BULLSHIT
LOOP
MUSIC

>Thinking people shouldn't talk about what they've been listening to.

Are you talking about that post from his reddit AMA? He was very clearly talking about people who use music competitively

He said that if someone - if I recall he said even a friend of his - asks what he is listening to, he gets irritated.

>Patience is a virtue. Just ignore the noise and definitely filter anyone out of your life who uses music in a competitive way. If anyone asks you if you've heard of a band or heard a record, I mean, just delete that person from your life. When people ask me that, I invariably say no, whatever the case may be. And if they start to recommend it to me, I tell them it doesn't really sound like my kind of thing. Their discomfort and disappointment in not being able to use music in a way they should not be using it is a wonderful feeling.

>definitely filter anyone out of your life who uses music in a competitive way

I haven't seen that post but if this is the case, I agree wholeheartedly, using musical tastes "competitively" is dumb as shit
I don't remember what he said exactly in that disintegration loops vid, he said something about the effects being used on them? yeah okay the loops have a bit of reverb and maybe some slight delay on them but the whole idea of disintegrating tape in real time isn't really "hackery" imo. maybe the story behind the loops is kinda iffy but who cares. either way, he has better material in his discography, melancholia comes to mind.

>If anyone asks you if you've heard of a band or heard a record, I mean, just delete that person from your life. When people ask me that, I invariably say no, whatever the case may be.
I guess maybe I take it too literally because if a friend asked me that, I'd assume it's that we both like music, so we both want to discuss new music.
Re-reading it I guess he meant it in a specific context of you/your friends trying to one-up each other?
Ultimately the DL thing and "loop music" thing is Chris not being into conceptual, Post-Cage music. Which is fine, he's very clearly a Shoe-gauze-e kind of guy. I just wish people who clearly don't get/don't want to understand contemporary art didn't parade their opinions as gospel.

He's championed Ekkehard Ehlers. He was just revolted by the critical response to something, in his view, with not that much value outside of how it co-opted a national tragedy.

>Ultimately the DL thing and "loop music" thing is Chris not being into conceptual, Post-Cage music
iirc it's not that he's not into conceptual music, I mean didn't he use some dumb vaporwave loop thing and an excerpt from that ekkehard ehlers "plays" album? he just doesn't believe the whole story behind the loops and he lets that affect his enjoyment of them.

>He's championed Ekkehard Ehlers.
He liked a single track, "John Cassavettes 2". That's not "championing" an artist. For what it's worth I find the Cardew and Robert Johnson tracks more inventive on that album but so be it.
>He was just revolted by the critical response to something, in his view, with not that much value outside of how it co-opted a national tragedy.
1. The idea of music destructing over the process of its performance is a novel idea that, in my study of modern/contemporary music, was certainly not performed to an extent that Basinski did it.
2. Like I said, he's not into conceptual music.

What about the echo pops on it? They're so cheesy.

It didn't have that effect on me, Chris.

in one breath I kinda agree with his criticism that the light reverb and echo do sound kinda... minimal? but in another breath I appreciate that there are some effects coating the loops, it gives them this ethereal quality to them and I doubt many people would want to hear the loops dry as they decayed (except for people who are already into tape music)

Thoughts on his Top 5 Ambient Records of the 2000s?

>1. Stars of the Lid, Avec Laudenum (12/99) and Tired Sounds of...
>2. Grouper, A I A Alien Observer ("Moon is Sharp" absolutely kills me; I know it's a 2011 release but she recorded the A I A material throughout the end of the '00s)
>3. Aglaia, White Maps/Three Organic Experiences (tie)
>4. Tim Hecker, Harmoney in Ultraviolet
>5. Fennesz, Venice

Hate this man

t. ryan schreiber

tired sounds of stars of the lid is a wonderful album

I don't agree with all of them but I know why he picked the ones he did. What are you getting at? Do you have absolutely nothing to add to the conversation or something

Like seriously I'm talking about loop music, a process-based music that's in the tradition of 50's avant-garde classical music, and then some user's like

>oh but what about his Ambient taste

you fucking teenagers that's an entirely different fucking genre

It is about Chris Ott, is it not? Discussing his taste falls well within the purview of this thread topic.

If Ott sincerely believes everything he said here, then he's a hypocrite and a pretentious waste of a good mind. He literally profits off of introducing music to people, while high-horsing vehemently about people doing the same thing to him. He's not only using music competitively (he won't shut up about how HE'S right about Basinski, and about how Richardson is WRONG for loving Thr Disintegration Loops), but he's using it commercially to turn a profit. I wouldn't have a problem with that if he weren't so sanctimonious about how music is important on its own merits. But he is talking about getting mad about somebody asking him about a band being "competitive" when his whole career has revolved around the very idea of informing people about music. It's lile he thinks he can't ever be informed about anything because he's too smart, but he can inform other people about artists because they simply aren't on his level. That's bullshit.

>he won't shut up about how HE'S right about Basinski, and about how Richardson is WRONG for loving Thr Disintegration Loops)
He made one video on it half a decade ago. It just gets brought up a lot. He is the necessary counterbalance to the fawning fanboyism of his contemporaries and the current cynical opportunism of his juniors. Discussing any of this in a present tense is silly, though, since he quit the internet about a year ago.

This is part of my issue as well, that he will be so opinionated and suggest all these records and whatnot (oftentimes even saying "this record has no historical importance but you should listen to it)...but then says suggesting albums to others is a problem?

He also has never made a dollar off of anything he's done in the vein of Shallow Rewards. He moved his videos to Vimeo because he was uncomfortable with YouTube's invasive advertising model. As a writer, he was paid for his services. Having an issue with that is silly.

I don't have a problem with somebody making money off of their work. I have a problem with somebody sanctimoniously condemning using music as a tool while also using music as a tool. He's in no position to talk down to people for using music competitively.

Strong personalities are sorely lacking in the music critosphere, especially on the internet. I have no issue with him being unguarded about his opinions if it means young listeners can go to him as opposed to someone like Fantano. Also, again, present tense doesn't fit here. He has no online presence anymore.

If he has no online presence why on earth are we talking about him? Either we're talking about his words and beliefs or we aren't and this thread has no purpose. I don't have a problem with strong personalities, but that doesn't give him carte blanche to contradict himself and condescend like a braying ass.

I'd also posit that Ott's relationship with his audience isn't the same as an interpersonal friendship, which seems to be the context within which he's decrying the obsessive dick-swinging contest of music taste.

Then he should have been more specific about the context in which people were asking him about music? He treats a general inquiry as a great sin when he talks about it.

It's the way I think "filter that person out of your life" is supposed to be read, I think.

lol there are people actually defending this loser ITT. pathetic

what a fucker!

I don't think anyone over the age of 16 reads pitchfork.

>I hate Swans. I always have. That guy is a complete fucking waste. Just a total fucking waste of life as an opportunity to accomplish anything. GG Allin had the balls to actually play with his own shit; Gira subjected his audience to the aural equivalent.

>Father John Misty, He's just another in a long line of idiot chalants who breeze through life wincing artistically. Jim Morrison was the worst thing to ever happen to American men.

none of that is wrong

the story behind the loops is the exact reason why he called it hackery. he's not against process music as a whole

Explain why
>GG Allin had the balls to actually play with his own shit; Gira subjected his audience to the aural equivalent.
is an accurate statement

no, lol

I think he's saying Gira/Swans were posturing as edgy people instead of being actually edgy. I don't see why that would make him mad because when it comes down to it, Swans music itself is/was more grotesque and edgy than GG's music. As a music reviewer you'd think he would care more about the music than stage antics.

>This place is /r/indieheads now of course there are people like that.
You say that like Sup Forums hasn't always been obsessed with Pitchfork

>Christgau is likewise married, and has a child, and his wife had an affair while he was going through a midlife crisis, and all of that and more is in the gooey memoir he published earlier this year, Going Into the City. Like his more formalist counterpart Greil Marcus, Christgau’s attitude toward and descriptions of women, and sex, are hugely distracting, even unsettling; a transparent attempt to overcome the sexless impotence of a Rock Writer standing next to their venerated subject.

>If you’ve ever seen Bill Simmons interview an athlete, it’s the same mortifying spectacle: you’re watching an average-looking guy in a blazer try to talk his way into a nightclub. Even if they’re rich or famous enough to get past the velvet rope on status, they will never fit in there. They will never belong in the club, at the after-party, backstage, or on the tour bus, because they will never be cool. If Nick Kent couldn’t pull it off, nobody can. So to the sucking and fucking and “zaftig” masturbation in his book, I’ve got to say, Bob, pull your head in. Nobody wants to know.

how can one man be so based?

that's a 10/10 quote lmao