I guess we can all agree that English is the lingua franca, but which country is to thank for it?

I guess we can all agree that English is the lingua franca, but which country is to thank for it?

both

probably the dumb fucks that colonized 25% of the world

Both.

US, only reason I know English is because of American movies and games.

In shithole countries that got colonized: UK
In developed countries: US

US of course, french was still linga franca before ww2

Both

This, to be honest

Thank you, America

those who use it

Both.

Prior to the mid-20th century, UK. After that (especially with the last 30 years), US.

There's a lot you could say about the US but you can't deny its media presence is overwhelming.

UK is responsible for the USA

So either way you look at it, UK is to thank for it

kek, humanity comes from africa, we must thanks south sudan for landin on the moon then

WE

what is the left one even

>ooooo honhonhon lemme make some terrible analogy honhonhon

French should be banned from Sup Forums completely

>m-muh usa is ex anglo colony so anything they achieve is anglo success
keked

America.

But they speak it because of bongs, so...

>being this salty because his country never had a successful colony
Sad!

your ex colonies became relevant when you stoped bein involved in though, so kek, ours never been relevant because we never replaces our population, we didn't had to we were already masters of Europe.

Stop using that meme at the wrong times, user.

Thank non english speaking countries for being able to learn it.

Overall both. UK has been strong in terms of music, as has America. America is very strong thanks to its Hollywood films. The UK with its literature and in more recent years television, the UK exporting the second most television content in the world... America exporting the most.

>thank
No one.

>UK is responsible for the USA
UK didn't exist when we gained our independence. Hell when we first were colonies Great Britain didn't exist as the union is from 1707.

A United Kingdom did exist, the United Kingdom of Great Britain, as in a union of the only two relevant countries on the island - England and Scotland (Wales being part of England).

How does it feel that Swedish singers, actors, YouTubers etc. have to speak English in order to be even remotely relevant?

France

thank you france

i think you have that backwards

Is that why French is the other official language of the UN?

I was considering learning French and getting a UN job setting up IT infrastructure in the third world, but I backed out when i heard the UN was full of pedophiles. i didn't want to put myself in a situation where I was invited to molest a kid and then have to decline and then be a massive liability to a bunch of rapists in the middle of nowhere.

>Is that why French is the other official language of the UN
yes, for the JO also

Both

UK contributed to it because it owned 1/4 of the world and was the dominant power and America contributed and still contribute it a lot because it runs the world and culture.

Humanity comes from Greece and your cells come from star dusts.

aw, c'mon, you're quite successful

America for dumbing it down so euros can understand it, UK for spreading it in the first place

fucking this

But still, if it wasn't for America, people who can't speak the same language would not speak English in order to understand each other.

Both, brits colonised wherever they could or took over what they could and tried to force the language into it, then post-war the anglosphere took off with the US mostly at the head and then the commonwealth following in pursuit

>lingua franca
heh

Any answer besides the US is honestly wrong.

Russian or German would likely be the Lingua Franca right now if the US didn't exist. Basically whomever was the central superpower at the time that mass media came along was destined to spread their language across the globe. Brit imperialism has basically nothing to do with the proclivity of English.

British rock bands unironically contributed more to spreading English than all of their colonization efforts combined.