I wish I "got" metal. There is so many metal albums. Any tips for liking this broad genre?

I wish I "got" metal. There is so many metal albums. Any tips for liking this broad genre?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=YZ8v_evgiS4
youtube.com/watch?v=hNKjuC2kSPs
youtube.com/watch?v=WVgPGZOH3cM
youtube.com/watch?v=-4e5Jw9T5Zk
youtube.com/watch?v=7LSZMpxh80E
youtube.com/watch?v=Gz-xmICHCK4
youtube.com/watch?v=WSwIDKmCzeE
mapofmetal.com/
youtube.com/watch?v=gu8CDM9rP1I
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

black sabbath

Fail to mentally mature. If you already have, I'm sorry it's too late for you. Don't worry there's plenty of other music you can enjoy for having mentally matured.

>if I listen to the right kind of music, it means I am mature
please go fuck yourself

You don't have to like every record released in this genre. Actually, if you find a few dozens that you like, it will be great.
I don't know what you usually listen, but I'd recommend you to listen to the so-called hipster metal. It's easier to digest for the newcomers (and sometimes it's still legitimate metal).

Power metal

i got into black metal before i started looking into other metal genres. black metal or thrash metal is a good place to start. itll grow on you

pick up the guitar or drums. i only got really into black metal when i could focus on the riffs. and i played drums as a teenager so i have some appreciation for interesting/tasteful beats.

i think it's hard to get into when it's just coming at you as a wall of noise and juvenile anger.

Start with zeppelin and sabbath
Literally everyone likes these. From there you can follow any genres progression. You can go from sabbath to doom to sludge
You can go from sabbath to heavy to thrash to death
There’s a lot of different routes you can take

Big fan of metalcore after years of going through a crapton of metal. Cleans, breakdowns, some good lyrics here and there, constantly upcoming young artists keeping the genre alive.

I like drone metal a lot. Like earth and Sunn and boris. But I cant get behind the screaming metal for some reason

i'll give it a shot

what zeppelin album should I start with?

Listen to the following albums and if you don't like any of it, give it some time and come back to it
I'll post some of the more "accessible" tracks from each, sort of in order of accessibility

Haken - The Mountain (Prog-Metal/Rock)
youtube.com/watch?v=YZ8v_evgiS4
Dreamtheater - Metropolis Part 2
youtube.com/watch?v=hNKjuC2kSPs
Gojira - Terra Incognita (Prog-Metal)
youtube.com/watch?v=WVgPGZOH3cM (1:00 is when the riff comes in)
Vektor - Terminal Redux (Harsh Prog-Metal/Thrash)
youtube.com/watch?v=-4e5Jw9T5Zk
Obscura - Akroasis (Faster Metal)
youtube.com/watch?v=7LSZMpxh80E
Electric Wizard (Stoner Metal, like sabbath)
youtube.com/watch?v=Gz-xmICHCK4
Death - Human (OG death metal)
youtube.com/watch?v=WSwIDKmCzeE

Tell me if you like any of those and we can go from there.
"metal" as a genre is quite varied and draws on a lot of inspiration from classical music, prog rock, modern ambient producers, and overall has a quality of technicality and musicianship that isn't found in many genres, despite what the "big kids" here say

I found metal somewhat unpalatable mostly just because I didn't like the "image" it had. I listened to Black Sabbath's self-titled album and that really got me into it.

>Caring about what "image" music has associated with it
Wanna know how I know you're 15?

mapofmetal.com/

Well if you haven't listened to metal and you're around people who don't listen to and don't like metal, it's easy to be influenced by them.

I haven't felt that for a while since I decided to actually listen it. Notice the quotation marks, friend.

Death or Electric Wizard are really the only good newcomer recs here

not that guy but it's hard to ignore in metal. it's a barrier to entry when the members of a band are grown men who still dress like dementors and call themselves satanists with a straight face.

there's a whole lot of bands whose music i love but who have a really stupid and contrived image.

Who the fuck cares
Is the first thing you tell someone when you meet them the bands you listen to?
As in you don't like the rest, or that they're not accessible

nah i forced myself into harsher genres since i knew i wasn't used to any of it

black metal very good

Opiate by tool. I don’t really like metal but I love that ep

Try the latest album by Sannhet - So Numb.
youtube.com/watch?v=gu8CDM9rP1I

It's closer to post-metal but was 2017 AOTY.

Unironically check out Terminal Redux and read the lyrics/figure out the story. It is a super accessible album and a great entry point to the harsher side of metal.

What's the source on that image?

ITS ALL KIND OF RELIGIOUS when you look at it.

>most influential bands: Sabbath, Priest
hey that’s right

onions, no fap, workout, drop soy

Listen to Odyssey to the West by Slice the Cake, if you don't like that then you are beyond redemption.

I got into metal after hearing Judas Priest and Meshuggah. Before then I just listened to hip hop and radio music.

THERE ARE NO TIPS

DON'T LISTEN TO ALL THOSE FAGGOTS, THE TRUTH IS SIMPLE:

IF YOU DON'T GET AN ADRENALINE RUSH OR FEEL THE URGE TO BANG YOUR HEAD WHEN YOU HEAR A GOOD RIFF, YOU ARE NOT INTO METAL

AND IF YOU ARE NOT INTO METAL, YOU ARE NOT MY FRIEND

listen to entry level thrash, it's probably the most accessible metal. slayer, mastodon, high on fire, vektor...
or the new hipster northwest stuff like agalloch

>mastodon
>high on fire
neither of those are thrash
>vektor
not exactly entry-level
>agalloch
FUCKALL to do with thrash

why the fuck would you rec him Agalloch if you want him to get into metal as opposed to atmoshit?

>avatarshitter reading comprehension

sorry for trying to be helpful, asshat
btw, both mastodon and high on fire are thrash metal bands even if their styles and influences are different. you can say they're not all you want, deny it, tell me i'm wrong, etc and it's not going to change.

also "atmoshit" is absolutely arbitrary and pretentious and i seriously doubt you hold in high regard all the first metal bands that you've ever enjoyed.

oh, and also
fuck you

Listen to Disma or Vastum

i can personally only tolerate hipster metal genres

gee, i wonder what that makes you...

>moeshitter
>relevant opinions

Apologies accepted, in the future don't try to be helpful until you've learnt the difference between sludge, prog and thrash, or until you've learnt the difference between atmoshit and atmospheric black metal.

Shouldn't be too hard, all you have to do is listen instead of guessing

fuck off, shitstain

Stop consuming so much soy