Admit it, he's a pretty bland character

Admit it, he's a pretty bland character.

Absolutely, but I think that's the point. He's a generic, whiny, mostly useless headstrong kid who gradually became powerful and competent. Why do you think he appealed to so many teenagers?

He's like that girl from the Hunger Games, where all she could do was hunt, or Harry Potter, where all he could do was ride a broomstick. Weak at the beginning to make the kids relate to them, then gradually grow stronger to mirror those same kids becoming more responsible as they grow older.

Not nearly as bland as Rey.

luke at least had a clear motivation.
but what motivation does rey have to join the rebellion go after luke?

His uncle was a dick anyway, that's why he didn't mourn him or remember him later.

?

what the fuck was lukes motivation?

"whoopsies, my uncle and aunt just got brutally murdered, I guess I'll tag along with this old wizard guy"

have you seen episode4?
the only reason luke stayed on tatooine as long as he did was because his aunt and uncle needed help on their moisture farm. he actually wanted to join the military academy and become a pilot.

>but what motivation does rey have to join the rebellion go after luke?
wasn't that a big point in VII? that Rey found a reason to join the cause and stop waiting for someone to return in Jakku while feeling the Force calling?

No I haven't seen it, what season is it in?

The Empire was notorious throughout the galaxy, an iron fist clad in velvet. Luke was old friends with Wedge and shared many of the same sentiments. In deleted footage they share some words on Tatooine about Luke possibly joining up before Luke's uncle and aunt are murdered.

tl;dr he always wanted adventure, but was hesitant about joining what most people probably saw as a doomed resistance movement. the empire killing his adoptive parents was the catalyst.

No. He's complex if you're paying attention.

Yeah. It was all about Leia and Han Solo.

And Darth Vader of course, but that goes without saying.

Did he mean or a imperial or rebel academy though? I can't imagine the rebels have academies

Biggs, not Wedge.

No he wasn't. Luke had amazing character development. The Luke in RotJ is a completely different person than the Luke in ANH.

ANH Luke
>Immature
>Weak
>Ignorant to the galaxy
>Whiny (not really his fault given his shitty state of living)
>Easily impressionable

ESB Luke
>Matured
>Competent to the point where he gains the rank of Commander
>More capable of handling himself
>Less whiny, but more impatient
>Headstrong

RotJ Luke
>Completely matured
>Wise
>Powerful
>Intelligent to the point where he outwits even Palpatine
>Willing and expecting to die to save his father and the rebellion

Yeah sorry, Luke goes through so much change throughout the trilogy. You don't have to like him, but he's definitely not bland.

That's just the generic hero archetype though, there's nothing unique about it at all

>thinks standard hero's journey development makes a character not bland
keep watching anime, kid.

Yeah no shit it's now "generic" and "bland" after 40 years of being ripped off and deconstructed.

dude, the classic hero figure has been around since the dawn of storytelling

yes, but also comfy, he isn't as whiny as anakin or self-righteous like rey

imperial

No, Luke is a very generic hero archetype, it's been around for centuries. It doesn't make him a bad character, because that character is re-used for a reason, but he isn't particularly deep or original.

I miss our cute luke threads.

Yeah he's a whimpy bitchboi that wants to leave his bitchass planet but his bitchass uncle didn't want Luke's bitchass to leave the bitchass farm.
But the bitchass Imperials kills their bitchasses and Luke goes with that bitchass Obi-Wan to find that bitchass Han Solo so they can fly off that bitchass planet.

make some then.

right into it, FÃM

>40 years
lmao
seriously, stick to anime

dumping some qt lukes

Daisy Ridley is an ugly cunt
We need more

We need more Luke*

running out of Lukes :^(

Oh Leave Daisy alone, she was great.

Han is the only one with character really. And even that's more as a result of Ford's charisma than the actual character.

Hero
Rogue (turned hero)
Damsel in distress (turned hero)

Nothing really unique. But it works every single time for adventure stories.

>sole character in the series to actually develop and grow
>bland

Kill you are self.

Not really no. He has personality and is likable and is easy to identify with. He undergoes the classic monomythical innocence to experience hero's journey in a believable way. He has character flaws, aspirations. He can be funny, smug, serious, angry, frustrated, amused, ecstatic, scared, etc. Luke is actually just a great character to carry a blockbuster series.

>Han is the only one with character really

no he isn't, he's just a generic suave rogue and he becomes completely useless/unnecessary half way into ESB

Name one pre-SW story that does this.
I don't doubt that there is one, I just know you can't think of one.

Star Wars is just so average. I'll never understand why it has the following it does.

I'm obviously talking about ANH. But thanks for your useless post. You don't always have to one up everyone, you know?

Studios push broad bland public that long ago felt insulted and bored with brainier cinema. I really hope they don't try to make Dune again, The Hobbit showed you can't even do a simple short adventure novel without bloating it with shitty video game cutscenes.

>man, who likes King Arthur? The character is just so bland

This is how you sound, Star Wars is literally just SciFi Welsh legend.

>I'm obviously talking about ANH

Except nothing in your posts indicates this, spazz, don't get your panties in a twist.

this. everyone can relate with him, which makes him so lovable as a character

>tries to one up me
>gets btfo
>s-stop spazzing out
Thanks for playing champ.

Two things: Darth Vader and the setting of Star Wars.

>tries to one up me
>keeps saying this
>"hurrr I win!!!"

I think you're paranoid and needlessly angry, user.

He's right idiot

Not Imperial. Tatooine hadn't been annexed. It was local military.

It's anonymous here. Nobody's gonna downvote your shitpost. Stop defending it.

He's pretty generic admittedly. The biggest problem with Luke is most of his character development happens off screen.

Considering what happens to him in the first film and that 3 years or so pass between ANH and Empire it makes sense that he's grown into a more mature man in Empire, but still is relatively the same, minus the whiny childlike behavior.

But in Jedi I believe only 6 months or so are supposed to have passed since Empire and he's a completely new character despite having not returned to Dagobah to finish training yet.

>samefagging this hard
wew

I think there may be a homo posting ITT...

Even back then according to my older brothers and cousins
Han solo stole the show and the spotlight

His look is iconic (for some reason) but as a villain he seems really bland and boring to me.

It actually isn't, which I found pleasantly surprising. You can cry "s-samefag!" if it'll make you feel better though, champ.

suck my cock.

I hope you have a nice day too. Tell your Han bodypillow I said hi.

>only 40 years
Don't mind me just hopping on the dog pile. I love dog piles

you like penis in the face.

Tim?

He's supposed to be, so kids can insert themselves into the movie as the protagonist.

It's interesting to watch him in the original film. Rey's a good pilot like him and "learns" the force like him but she doesn't really have any flaws. She's just bland.

Luke comparatively is aggressive and on occasion whiny, which makes his growth interesting to watch. Rey's kind of the same throughout. Finn had a better arc, really. Finn and Poe should be the protagonists instead of her.

>the only way to defend rey is to shit on luke, luuke and anakin

Why are sequelfags so desperate? Rey is a shitty character. Deal with it.

Ugh motivation is like such a cis white patriarchal idea.

it was released at a time where movies of its kind weren't very common.

>but what motivation does rey have to join the rebellion go after luke?
the first order started shooting at her. you'd join the rebellion too if some fucks were shooting at you even if you didn't do anything wrong.

Homer's Odyssey, the part of the story that follows Odysseus' son.

The Rebellion. Biggs was one of his friends that already went that Aunt Bern mentioned. Academy is probably a bit grandiose for some ragtag ships and pilot trainers though.

what does cis mean?

Because they sincerely believe that anyone who hates Rey as a character is just being a mysoginist.

confederacy of independent systems

Mark was a teen heartthrob model in magazines at the time, wasn't he? Not sure if he was supposed to have a personality beyond what was needed to flick the bean.

it was a general flight academy

>hunger games girl
>weak at the beginning.

nosir. every strong female lead has to be outright better than every other character in every way.