Jazz

How do i get into jazz? what are the absolute essentials?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=c0OGHVjnu9M
youtube.com/watch?v=ASvWE6LlTGI
youtube.com/watch?v=3MihqGJ4PkY&list=PLEE9A9CF50F4E1576
youtube.com/watch?v=TgnMW5sHXGo
youtube.com/watch?v=Nih5ytCL4mY
youtube.com/watch?v=CDSeqqEN9Rg
youtube.com/watch?v=0BLHNQK8V7E
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

This one, a love supreme, and the black saint and the sinner lady are the best introductions

moron

These are the most famous but not the most entry level and DEFINITELY not the most representative of jazz as a whole.

Solid. Throw in Bill Evans' Live at the Village Vanguard and Art Blakey & the Jazz Messengers' Moanin'

That’s why it’s an introduction but I like your chart more

Kind of Blue really is the perfect intro to jazz. My favorite Davis record is Sketches of Spain, though.

Charles Mingus is key. The obvious pick is Mingus Ah Um. My favorites are Let My Children Hear Music and Blues & Roots. Tasteless people go for The Black Saint.

For bebop, it's important to get into Art Blakey's collective. It's hard to go wrong with Blakey, but Moanin' is a good starting place. Also try Wayne Shorter's Juju and See No Evil, and Lee Morgan's The Sidewinder.

Pete La Roca's Basra is one of the GOAT avant garde jazz records.

Django Reinhardt is GOAT, so I recommend finding a good compilation of his stuff. I'm convinced he must've been a massive influence on bebop.

Ornette Coleman and John Coltrane are other obvious key bebop figures, and A Love Supreme is another good starting place for jazz.

For modern stuff, my favorite is Jaimeo Brown Transcendence, but nobody seems to agree with me.

>I recommend smoking some marijuana
any other chart not made by a degenerate?

Oh hi grandma

If you're trying to get into jazz listen to some stuff until you find one player you like. Then listen to other stuff they did and then see if you're into any of the other players in that group. Then you can repeat this process to keep discovering new stuff.

You don't have to get into jazz, if you do not play it is useless to hear it

jazz is a degenerate genre

This is the perception among people who can't into jazz but it's completely wrong. I have no whiff if music theory beyond guitar but I love jazz. The virtuosity of the musicians is usually extremely apparent to even laymen, and the atmosphere/sounds created by some jazz musicians are superb and beautiful.

I was going to start with Bitches Brew. Is this an amazing or awful start?

more like Kind of Blew

Amazing album but a fucking awful start, it's one of the more challenging famous jazz albums.

Just start with Kind of Blue

Start with Charles Mingus - Mingus Ah Um.

save that for later

Jazz died when white people started listening en masse and the artists began to cater to that faggot urbanite audience. If you can’t dance to it it’s shit. You can’t truly enjoy it unless you can dance to it or play it. The musicians have fun playing it, and people have fun dancing to it, but it’s not fun to just sit and listen to like classical music no matter what hipsters tell you. Fucking white people fucking ruining shit.

It's all according to what you're already into OP. I was coming to jazz as a listener to mostly blues and rock, so pic related was the perfect fit.

You can enjoy music for things like melody, texture, arrangement, or countless other elements that don't involve dancing. Sure, you may not LIKE music you can't dance too, but literally thousands disagree with you and it's not "bad" by any stretch because quality of music is not decided by how danceable it is.

There's something to this. The same goes for blues. When blues influenced rock, that was all well and good. But when rock started influencing the blues too much it was game over, man. That was pretty much Muddy Waters's view of it all and I believe him.

I say Sunday at the Village Vanguard by the Bill Evan’s trio is a good place to start. Pretty straight forward Jazz with some accessible melodies and great musicianship.

This was a random buy at a library sale about ten years ago, but it's a very pleasant listen. It's probably the first jazz I really enjoyed.

second this

I usually listen to Industrial, Post-Punk or Classical.

seconded

wayne shorter - juju

Get over yourself nerd

I’m kind of a pleb but I like a lot of Davis, such as On the Corner and A Silent Way. What else would you recommend?

If you're completely new to Jazz then Herbie Hancock - Headhunters would be the next best place. If you like that then Freddie Hubbard - Red Clay and Straight Life.

Didn't you know? Jazz is Satan's music.

>the black saint and the sinner lady
>good introduction

You're too young or too stupid for jazz.

Pithecanthropus Erectus is better

DUDE WEED MAKES YOU SMART LMAO

Maybe there's still a Herbie for you: youtube.com/watch?v=c0OGHVjnu9M

Or if you want to approach this more from the classical angle, you could go for someone who composed lengthy orchestral suites in the jazz idiom like Duke Ellington:
youtube.com/watch?v=ASvWE6LlTGI
youtube.com/watch?v=3MihqGJ4PkY&list=PLEE9A9CF50F4E1576
youtube.com/watch?v=TgnMW5sHXGo

Or you could even go more to the classical side and listen to classical composers (using the term loosely) who dabbled in jazz styles:
youtube.com/watch?v=Nih5ytCL4mY
youtube.com/watch?v=CDSeqqEN9Rg

And I'm not really sure where to put this one, probably closer to Ellington, but I wanted to share it: youtube.com/watch?v=0BLHNQK8V7E

Lmao

Thank you user, i really liked those Duke Ellington tracks, i'll start by listening to his stuff and then branch out like other anons said.

> t. never listened to bebop

You're legitimately a stupid person.

>no mention of Bossa Nova
shit chart

The other guy gave shit advice. You should listen to more of Davis’ stuff from that period, like Dark Magus and Live Evil. You should also try listening to some Ornette Coleman from that period, like Body Meta. And if you want more acoustic sounds, try out Kulu Sé Mama by Coltrane. I guess that’s all stuff in the general vein of those Miles records, but no two albums from those guys are really going to be similar.

I gave good advice. Please don't ignore me.

>recommending A Love Supreme as a start
>good advice

It was one of my earlier jazz records, and I found it to be a powerful experience, though I've since found many albums I found to be much more powerful for me personally, like those I listed earlier.

HOW TO GET INTO JAZZ
STEP 1
GO TO RYM AND LISTEN TO THE TOP JAZZ ALBUMS
STEP 2
PAY ATTENTION TO WHICH PLAYERS YOU LIKE MOST, BECAUSE YOU CAN FIND OTHER GOOD ALBUMS BY CHECKING OUT THE PLAYERS DISCOGRAPHIES
STEP 3
ENJOY THAT SHIT

>Thinking A Love Supreme isnt a good place to start
Are you fucking retarded?

Let me guess, you like Schoenberg because it's hip and modern?

shit idk dude. Cuphead soundtrack

>skipping all the context that led up to A Love Supreme, which was decried as "not even jazz" when it came out
You are like a little baby

I got into jazz by listening to a best of miles davis cd in my car when I had to drive far. Pretty comfy especially when it was snowing.

Im really hungover from clubbing last night and listening to miles davis is helping a lot

FUCKING
THIS

JTG actually made an extension to this which addresses some of the bigger gaps in the original.

I should check some of these out

Anybody here listen to the new chick corea and steve gadd album? Thoughts?

absolutely fantastic