Sup Forums BTFO

>Hidden Figures dramatizes a different social tragedy: the Jim Crow–era segregation that once was in effect at the National Aeronautics and Space Administration. But Hidden Figures aims for a more conventional celebration. It honors the Southern black female mathematicians whose calculations were essential to readying the space program.

>Director Theodore Melfi sets up a parallel to the climactic shot in Philip Kaufman’s The Right Stuff , in which the Mercury astronauts walked abreast, with rhythmic deliberation, toward the camera and their own heroism. Here, Octavia Spencer, Taraji P. Henson, and Janelle Monáe lead their co-workers from the “Colored Computers” department through the hallway toward equality, and they march forward.

>No one had measured for progress as the NASA prepared for the computer age, and another good metaphor shows a doorway being enlarged for the mammoth in-coming IBM computers. Hidden Figures isn’t a ground-, ceiling-, door-, or wall-breaking movie, but it entertains through its cast’s charm. Spencer eases into the matriarch role with comic toughness. Henson, recently of the trashy TV series Empire, finally plays a human being who takes some personal responsibility. Monáe lends sass to social determination.

>While Hidden Figures doesn’t address the issues of intelligence and gender roles with the depth and ingenuity of Akeelah and the Bee, the filmmakers avoid sanctimony and show no sense of entitlement. Their approach to history is on a human scale, so that the scene where Henson enters the sanctum of white mathematicians and sits alone, with no one talking to her, becomes emblematic of “progress” among the enlightened class. (But the running gag of Henson’s trekking outside for lavatory breaks doesn’t work. The accompanying song “I don’t want a free ride / I’m just sick and tired of running” is pseudo-soulful grandstanding.)

>black female mathematicians

ya that didn't happen. even today, where we don't even have discrimination, and any college would throw so much money and acceptance letters at any black female with a pulse and any interest in math, they are like a fucking unicorn. I don't know the true story here, but I'm calling bullshit.

Even today i'd have a hard time believing it, because even though minority quotas are a big deal, people's fucking lives are on the line, and most places still thank god hire the most qualified people when so much is at stake, though i'm sure in the near future that won't be the case.

I didn't read anything you said OP.

WE

Same here
WUZ

They never made any calculations they just double checked the math the men did

>ya that didn't happen
>I don't know the true story here, but I'm calling bullshit

"wahh I can't fathom black people being smart"

I'm a literal straight white male and this is just laughably asinine

They made a movie about that?

Lmfao!

WE

They really had to reach

WUZ

>the filmmakers avoid sanctimony and show no sense of entitlement

Making the characters seem more important than they actually were begs to differ.

As well as making the actual character darker than she actually is.

>a 1/4th black woman who worked as a secretary checking math
became
>three sassy soul sistahs who don't need no man beez responsible fo puttin the white devils up on the moon, cause they stealin' space from the Gypshuns

well my white friend, i don't think you have spent much time around black people then. the occasional half breed can be semi intelligent like meme science man, but it is a damn rare thing to find a smart black person.

It isn't even common to find a black person that can pass for human intelligence. You should see the fucking work they have to do at colleges to pass the black athletes. I have met college graduate black people that cannot fucking read, yes you heard me. They fucking changed the threshold of IQ for someone to be retarded because so many black people fell under it. So while smart black people exist(it's just statistically going to happen from time to time), the likelihood of a bunch of sheboons being critical in nasa 50 years ago because the government was forcing people to hire retards is pretty god damn unlikely. And it sounds like from other posts, their contributions were overstated, what a shocker.

They didn't even double check the maths the men did. The men provided them with a few thousand equations and they had to plug the numbers into them.
This was before computers so they'd just have humans doing the same formulas over and over again with different variables.

The thing about space travel is that you can't work backwards from where you want to be and then determine when you have to go/move, it's too complicated, it is easier, in terms of sums and such, to just run the same formula a few thousand times with different starting variables until you get where you want to go(you'd start with a general outline knowing it should work but the precise movements, calculations etc need to be brute forced).

So NASA needed a lot of people to do those sums before computers took over that work.

sorry, before the government was forcing people to hire retards, not because

KANGZ N SHIET

Make that three

KANGZ

>someone actually took the time to type this

here's your (you) well memed my friend

kek

>everything you said is true, and it hurts my fee-fees. but i can't refute it so i'll just throw out a half assed insult.

sorry if reality hurts mate, i didn't make it this way, just an observer.

little known fact, when a black chick is talking, "ayo my nigga watcha doing orrrrr durr shittt" she's also doing complex math problems in her head. that's why they seem to talk so stupid, it's hard being a genius at math and talking at the same time. Really makes you think

He's not wrong, though

Why don't you bother to learn the story then, before throwing out your underdeveloped opinions like a idiot