it looks FINE

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=19PD7BiLdCw
youtube.com/watch?v=g7-tskP0OzI
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

they did their best

>Story by the guy who invented Photoshop
>Complains when CGI trickery invoked

It's like these nerds don't know what they're walking into.

It was the slightly cartoony expressions that killed it honestly. That exaggerated sneer and death glare he does, either the actor was over-doing it and they mapped the mo-cap too accurately, or the animators took too many liberties trying to make it look real without considering that Cushing as Tarkin wasn't a big face-puller as an actor.

It did, and daily reminder that Peter Cushing, unlike Alec Guinness, loved making Star Wars and was disappointed that Tarkin was killed off so soon into the trilogy.

If he was around, he would be happy with it, because Cushing wasn't a huge fucking bitch.

He was also too damn tall.

Cushing was above average height, but in the R1 he was more like 6'4.

He looked like a cartoon villain, too exeragerated

The only issue that Alec had with Star Wars is that it became his legacy and not the Bridge Over River Kawaii

>MOUSESHIT CANCER

He could have evacuated. Tarkin had more balls than Vader and Palpatine combined.

hahahaha I am so not going to watch that piece of shit ever again.

Memes aside, they did a fairly good job. They did the best today's technology could do. Tarkin is a hard face to match, especially with all those angles and wrinkles and imperfections.

My only gripe is that the director was apparently too overconfident with his end result, and so we got all these scenes where CGI tarkin is shoved right in the face of the camera. Tons of closeups of him speaking dialogue and moving his face with shots that lingered on his face for quite some time.

It would've been better if they didn't linger the camera and didn't have closeups of him.

Tarkin was the best part of Rogue One

He fits right into the next DOOM game.

this

I wonder how many people would be meming if they didn't know these were CGI in the first place?

Barely anyone on Sup Forums was even alive when Cushing died.

Most of the kids on this board had to be spoonfed the fact that Tarkin in R1 was CGI. Without outside help, they'd have believed the CG was a real person.

It's pretty pathetic honestly.

kys

The uncanny valley is just a meme that people spout now. We're long past the days where high budget CGI looked odd or creepy.

Exactly, the animation looked way too slick. If the animation was more accurate it would have almost fooled me, the models, textures and shaders all looked pretty close.

Nice reply, reddit.

Get a few more notches on the old belt then give me a man's reply when your balls drop, thanks.

true

leah is honestly terrifying
the way her maw just hangs open...

I know the plane ride with Carrie Fisher was traumatizing user but we are talking about a movie here.

Keep telling yourself that shill.

Just because you're blind doesn't mean everyone else is.

go home, BvS shill.

>Grown men are scared of computer generated effects in a movie

you should be.

My favorite scene in Ep1 was when the space bunnies fight the space robots on the Windows XP background.

>Space bunnies
But Felicity Jones wasn't in episode 1.

heh

Wait why did Alec Guiness hate star wars?

He considered it fairy tale tripe. At one point he told a SW fan he would give an autograph to him on condition that he never watched the movies again.

He was the original Christian Bale.

Give me some (you)s. I need to see them again

It looks awful and you know they're going to redo it in 10 or 15 years when they rerelease on whatever platform's ahead of 4k.

Holy shit, it's kind of crazy that Tarkin was killed in the first movie, he's such an iconic character.

Honestly the EU stuff containing Tarkin is the only thing I'm truly miss.

For (You)

what about the emperor?

Doesn't matter if it looks good or not, its unethical. Fuck disney

Which Sega Dreamcast game is this?

Floigan Bros Episode 1

He was a British actor who performed Shakespeare and was known for the Ealing comedies and Bridge Over the River Kwai. He thought Star Wars was garbage for children and imbeciles.

Weird that he would agree to do it then

Reminder that the non-CG Tarkin in Episode 3 looked like this

Money > Artistic integrity.

It looks fine still, pretty weird in motion. Honestly, they shouldn't have shown him outright so much, or even given him such a big role. Keep him in the shadows. Leia looked fine because she was in it for a hot second and didn't move.

I kind of wish I hadn't known it was CG, all my friends I went with who didn't know had no complaints, which I found interesting.

He's not wrong.

Given if the technology existed then, Lucas would have used it in a heartbeat.

I assume he thought it would be another cheesy B-movie that would come and go and that his image would remain "un-tainted."

I prefer the CGI and if it were up to Lucas, he'd have done it too.

What about him?

>Guinness described the film as "fairy tale rubbish", but the film's sense of moral good – and the studio's doubling of his initial salary offer – appealed to him, and he agreed to take the part of Kenobi on the condition that he would not have to do any publicity to promote the film. He negotiated a deal for 2.25% of the gross royalties paid to the director, George Lucas, who received one-fifth of the box office takings. This made him very wealthy in his later life. Upon his first viewing of the film, Guinness wrote in his diary, "It's a pretty staggering film as spectacle and technically brilliant. Exciting, very noisy and warm-hearted. The battle scenes at the end go on for five minutes too long, I feel, and some of the dialogue is excruciating and much of it is lost in noise, but it remains a vivid experience."

He got a good deal on it. His problem was that it became what he was known for.

This is way worse than the CGI

Coming from Guinness, that's a pretty good review.

undead_tarkin_doing_the_pepe_pose.jpg

>He got a good deal on it.
No shit!

Damn shame too. Though to be fair to Guinness he still came back for Empire and Jedi. He just had to let people know he didn't consider Star Wars his best work.

One of the ILM dudes (the one sitting next to George when he says he should do the whole Yoda/Dooku fight digitally iirc) convinced the director to go all out and really go for it, assuring him they could pull it off

This was only ever seen from very far away so looked decent, but man they made him look too old and greyfaced

youtube.com/watch?v=19PD7BiLdCw

reminder that lucas had the sense not to shove him into a speaking close up. The star wars characters are all fucked now when you watch it in order. Episode 3 will be this, then a cgi tarkin, then the real deal. They need to just get some actors like mon mothma. It's not like anyone would be confused. I mean they are doing a Han Solo movie without Ford.

It's heart of the problem when you are relying on characters that are almost 40 years old.

>I mean they are doing a Han Solo movie without Ford.
>implying they won't CGI young Harrison Ford's face over Eherinicruch's

Man that scene is so good

Astonishing that Lucas actually had the Star Destroyer and Tantive IV sets built, when they feature so little in the film.

it's astonishing the shit that he decided to do with CGI. Imagine how the movies would have held up with some decent Clone Trooper costumes. Imagine if they had put in LoTR effort into those movies. At least jackson had an excuse (time) for why he fucked up his prequels

>Man that scene is so good
Too bad it makes such little sense. Why would it take 20 years to finish the first death star and only a handful for the second.

The CGI was the least retarded problem with the movie.

That story was 150 minutes of abandoning plot development and scenery.

1) Erso stalling if you've seen Rogue One
2) They spent 20 years harversting Kyber Crystals, inventing shit, honing the tech etc etc, basically making this brand new thing that had never been made before from scratch
3) They just built the second death star from the basic blueprints of the first, without a stupid exhaust port
4) More resources
5) It was nowhere near finished in ROTJ

>It was nowhere near finished in ROTJ
It's fully operational

The scene still doesn't make sense, Lucas had none of this in mind.

can we get a pic of tarkin that says fully operational?

Tarkin was dead then. Sheev said it
youtube.com/watch?v=g7-tskP0OzI

probably just testing the technology. If he assured them it wouldnt be an issue it was probably pet project.

The superlaser was fully operation but the battle station was only like 2/3rds built
Also because they rushed so much to get that shit built they left the reactor vulnerabe like idiots and kaboom

It makes sense in the context imo, they would have taken their time with the first one to make sure it worked, and if you remember in IV they dissolve the senate right around the time they first use it so it may have taken 20 years to do that

In Rogue One the dude who built the death star has to be hunted down and shit so he was obviously doing a lot of stalling

It took us thousands of years to make our first nuke and now we have thousands of them in just 60 years

>without a stupid exhaust port

is this cannon?

if you grew up with stop motion animation. or special effects in general this really isnt that noticable.

I mean it's pretty darn canon that the first death star was destroyed via its exhaust port and so they made sure not to build another one with the exact same weakness

It does look fine though

I've never seen A New Hope (?) and I thought the dude was real. Something was a little off about him, more so the fighter pilots (they just looked 70s) but I didn't really think about it until Carrie Fisher at the end. Then again it never actually bothered me and I didn't realise autistics were sperging some much about it online.

anyone else think cgi always looks blurry?

Yeah he was a passable. I already knew he was cg so I was expecting it when he turned around, and he looked a little video gamey to me in that scene (I heard someone behind me literally say "That's the original actor" though) but from then on you basically forget he's not real.

l to r:

full composit, color, specular, ambient maybe, sss

Exactly, his eyes, lips, and cheek muscles seemed to flicker a bit too often, their attempt to make him look lively was just a further reminder that he was dead. I might even try my hand at recutting a few scenes so you don't see his face up close and more of his dialogue is voiced over while looking at Krennic so it's harder to tell.

I watched it with my wife. She never moticed that he was cgi.

Impressive. You know your shit.

leia looked like shit and you know it.

You married a stupid bitch

What about her son? Did he notice?

Sick. Got any more?

No. He stayed with her boyfriend. We needed some time together.

My grandmother didn't even realize it was CGI until she remembered Peter Cushing is dead.

>I heard someone behind me literally say "That's the original actor"
kek

The CGI was literally the only flaw in Rogue 1

Learning how much shit Guineas talked about Star Wars was really disappointing. Salty old cunt. McGregor was a better Obi-Wan anyway. Far better actors took part in Star Wars and didn't think it was "beneath" them, like based Cushing. One of the reasons I overall enjoyed his "appearance" in Rogue One.

Jesus, 4th one looks like a dessicated corpse.

End result still looks like a PS4 game.

It's gotten to the point where if you didn't know that it was impossible for that actor to be in that movie because he's been dead for 40 years there is a good chance that you didn't even realize it was CGI and had to be told by your nerdy Star Wars friend or read online that it was.

People saying "Oh your aunt didn't notice it was CGI, what does she know about CGI she probably doesn't even play video games" are missing the point. It's good enough that it fools you when you aren't looking for it. That's pretty damn good. You don't need to be a star wars lore expert or a CGI-wiz to be able to detect bad CGI.

People have turned "uncanny valley" into a buzzword. Now it just means "CGI that I don't like".

Like a robot with a flesh mask