Is it really that bad?

is it really that bad?

No but it does go back and forth between being pretty good and dogshit. The studio interference and script changes really fucked with what could have been a great film.

it's not that bad. though the cgi has aged like dog shit

No, but it's not really amazing either. It's just very messy and that's my issue with it. I don't care about the usual goofy complaints. It's just a mess with some bright spots. The score is fantastic though.

Alien: Resurrection on the other hand really is that bad.

Alien: Resurrection was better

it's misconstrues ridley scott's cold, uncaring universe for a final destination-like dick universe out to get everyone

it's a film made by someone who really needed to grow out of his teenage edgelord phase, a star with too much power on-set and a studio that had no idea what the fuck it was doing

that being said it's an okay movie with flashes of brilliance.

Shaved head sigourney is the best.

I love Alien 3 for how depressing and gloomy it is. Ripley barely survived the Nostromo and LV-426 only for the universe to reassert it's dominant theme: Everything fucking sucks. I know it's a plot hole that an alien manages to sneak aboard the Sulaco and fuck shit up, but I don't care. It's one of those little things that I feel simply works in the Alien universe: Murphy's Law is in full effect. Anything that can go wrong, will go wrong.

So Newt and Hicks bite it immediately, Ripley is thrust out of what was supposed to be a safe hypersleep onto a death planet filled with nothing but murderers and rapists AND finds out the fucking Alien not only survived but is now fucking shit up around her. She's forced to watch an autopsy on Newt - holy fuck that scene is brutal emotionally, not only on the viewer, but especially on Ripley - and later finds out that she's impregnated with an alien queen.

Not only that but almost immediately after her medscan Weyland-Yutani receives the images and learns she's got an Alien. What do they do? They reveal they have a ship within a day's distance. They're in the ass end of space. The only way for WY to have a fully stocked FTL ship that close is if they were following the Sulaco the ENTIRE TIME. They were either planning on smuggling out an Alien after the marines went in (and presumably failed) or making sure they weren't any survivors if the marines lived to tell the tale because the Company sure as hell knows the xenos exist.

I've never seen a film where it's protagonist has hit Ripley's nadir. I mean she hits rock fucking bottom. And she still keeps going. She knows she's fucked a thousand times over and yet she still keeps going. I know she tried to die, and tried to get that dude to kill her, but the fact that she doesn't just curl up and lie in a bed defeated seems very courageous to me.

That’s why resurrecting her in part 4 was such a cruel joke. She finally escaped, but the profiteers (The Company and The Studio alike) brought her back so they could make more money off her. Maybe it’s for the best that it was played for campy laughs. To play it straight would just hurt too much.

>The score is fantastic though.
This. Best of the series. tbqh.

I thought the direction the story took the series was wrong. Killing off all the great characters from Aliens? Fuck that shit. Can't wait for the Aliens sequel that will retcon this travesty.

>prison planet
>only two guards
>none of them have guns

Not CG actually. Puppet inserted by blue screen. Watch the behind the scenes sometime.

It's a former prison actually.

I think it was good, don't really get all the hate. It seemed like a step in the right direction after Aliens, going back it its horror roots.

I also liked how dark it was, killing off newt and hicks was a real kick in the gut to the aliens plebs

>Killing off all the great characters from Aliens? Fuck that shit.
It was actually a great idea. If they had lived it would have just been a rehash of Aliens in a different location which would have been pointless. This is why Blomkamp's Alien 5, if it ever gets made, will be dogshit.

>It's just a mess with some bright spots. The score is fantastic though.
This. The scene where the Alien explodes is pretty epic.
>Alien: Resurrection on the other hand really is that bad.
It's about the same level to be honest. I mean, the premise sucks, and so does many of the characters, but there are some pretty good scenes. The scene with the failed clones is SO fucking epic desu.

I liked 3 and resurrection, I know I suck.

>If they had lived it would have just been a rehash of Aliens in a different location which would have been pointless.
There was no reason a sequel had to include Hicks and Newt. They could have made it back to Earth. Newt gets taken in by relatives or adopted. Hicks is still in the service and gets shipped off. That leaves Ripley endless possibilities to go off and kill herself however she wishes without fucking over everyone else.

>Alien: Resurrection on the other hand really is that bad.

I get more enjoyment out of that movie because of how stupid it is.
With Alien 3 I'm just bored most of the time.

It is not a terrible movie on its own.

It's a terrible sequel.

yeah actually, in many ways.

It's bad in that it's boring. everyone looks and sounds the same except for the emotional black guy who chews the scenery every time he's on screen. visually as well, if it isn't bathed in yellow light, it's obscured in shadow.

It's bad in that is shits on the previous 2 films, as opposed to what cameron did- took the setting and expanded it in a interesting direction...alien 3 just feels regressive and nonsensical. almost like Ripley has slipped into another dimension.

It's bad in that it all the production effort behind it was largely wasted and pointless...despite all the efforts to make the prison/foundry thing have some kind of unique aesthetic, Other than a few very brief exterior shots it still has the feeling of a cheap as fuck B-movie filmed in an old cement factory. A lot of the actors in it are under used as well.

in terms of at least being entertaining? Yes actually. Resurrection is at least funny and weird.

Is the assembly cut really that much better? I've been wanting to rewatch this for awhile now but held off because I only have the theatrical.

yes