Should I listen to Brian's version, or the smile sessions compilation? If both, which one first?

Should I listen to Brian's version, or the smile sessions compilation? If both, which one first?

Other urls found in this thread:

albumsthatneverwere.blogspot.com/2013/09/the-beach-boys-smile-1967.html?m=1
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

>golly, which version of these unfinished backing tracks is superior?

b, been wondering the same

>acting like SMiLE isn't nearly as good as Pet Sounds, even if it is unfinished

I pity you, user

Is Smiley Smile any good? Heroes and Villains and Good Vibrations are two of my favorite beach boys songs, what's the rest of the album like?

I would recommend listening to all versions chronologically. They’re all good in their own way, you can decide which one you like the best during the experience.

It's interesting as a testament to how drugs can destroy your ambitions and talent.

Have you tried listening to it?

I listened to vegetables and one other song and found it a bit strange

I like doing "Wonderful" with a mellow organ backing, but the vocals kind of ruin it.

I listen to the Smile Sessions Compilation. Brian has said that he prefers his version, but acknowledges that the Sessions Compilation is the closest we will get to the original.

>Le unfinished backing tracks meme

SMiLE (soniclovenoize 1967 Mix)

good choice, here is a link for anyone interested: albumsthatneverwere.blogspot.com/2013/09/the-beach-boys-smile-1967.html?m=1

though I think the project is noteworthy, I dont consider it the "ultimate verision." I think the correct track sequence from theBrian Wilson verision is worth while, and the first disc of the 2011SMiLE Sessionsbox set is awesome.

For what reason ?

This. Would legitimately be my favorite album of all time if this is what was originally released

that's a straight downgrade from the SMiLE Sessions set though
I mean yeah it's cool to read about but if this is what is was going to sound like it deserved to get shitcanned, so many awful mistakes on great tracks
half of heroes and villains sounds completely disjointed, let alone the UNGA A BUNGA BUNGA shit that got cut from most of do you like worms
inferior by every metric

Listen to Brian's version first, you'll have more context for appreciating the Smile Sessions

Smile Session is better because it doesn't sound like a old man trying to sing beautiful pop songs with some studio singers. Smile Sessions would truly be goat if the lyrics weren't mostly terrible.

how do you spend countless months trying to perfect the sounds, basically finish the album, then just scrap it and release an inferior watered down version lmao

>I think the correct track sequence from theBrian Wilson verision is worth while,
Unceremoniously dumping Surfs Up in the middle of the album rather than have it close it is a tragedy

What's wrong with it?

the lyrics are amazing tho

For these reasons And also because half of it sounds wonky. Yeah, it makes for a neat read and the guy obviously cared a lot to go through the trouble, but after one listen I deleted it from my hard drive. It's a novelty.

Smile is fantastic.

>And also because half of it sounds wonky
So you are essentially choosing to believe the myth of SMiLE rather than the reality?

Not sure what you're rambling about. We have a physical edition of SMiLE that sounds better than someone's pet project from LARPing in a blog post. There is no reason to listen to the one which sounds inferior unless I want to play pretend that the album came out on schedule.

>Not sure what you're rambling about
Oh you didn't read is essay or know anything about the album?

Haha, you're really dedicated. Yeah, I've read the essay and yeah, I've read a fair bit about the album. Probably more than most people. What I'm saying is that I don't care about your make-believe world of what *could* have happened. What *did* happen is that we got BWP SMiLE, The SMiLE Sessions, and SLNP SMiLE, and of those three the SMiLE Sessions is by far the best.

You can try to convince people that they should be listening to your One True interpretation, but it sounds like garbage compared to the other two. That's the important factor and always has been: how it sounds. No attempt to shift the focus of the conversation will change that.

>. What *did* happen is that we got BWP SMiLE
But that's not correct, is it? This too was a *could have* and the makers of the box admitted this
>You can try to convince people that they should be listening to your One True interpretation
No, I don't care. i just make my own SMiLE. I just don't know why someone is willingly being ignorant of facts.

>But that's not correct, is it?
Yes, it is, actually. That album released and it sounds better. If you want, you can classify them all as "what-ifs." The end result is the same: SLN is an inferior product. Do you have an actual coherent argument or are you just shitposting because it's fun ?

>I like it better so that means it *is* better!
Do you have an actual coherent argument or are you just shitposting because it's fun ?

>I like it better so that means it *is* better!
That is how art works, yes.

It is not, but I believe you believe that

Have a good day :o)

u2 bb

Just my personal opinion:

Cuts down the fat and has a great flow.

This senpai

>We have a physical edition of SMiLE that sounds better than someone's pet project from LARPing in a blog post.
Wow someone's jelly

lol, he contrived a few arbitrary archaic parameters and organized the tracks into two coincidentally equal sides. Brian could have done that. The hard part was putting all the material and overlaying themes into a single cohesive LP and that has still yet to be done to this day, half a century later. At least the sessions still possess the mystery and potential of what Smile could have been.

>Brian could have done that.
No, he literally couldnt you dumshit

I already pointed out that it makes for an interesting read and that he clearly put a lot of care into it. I can respect the time and effort while disliking the final product.

>Brian could have done that