I need an actual answer...

I need an actual answer. What the hell has gone over this cursed board that they shun what was originally THE essential Sup Forumscore band? Is it because of the influx of Normies and Plebs who infested this board and brought forth "fun" and "poptimist" music here? Is it the Sup Forums invasion that brought forth the "soyboy" memes and destroyed "pretentious" music to replace it with "masculine" musicians? Or is it genuinely a shift in opinion caused by their constant omnipresence on independent music sites like these? Either way, we're losing too much.

in a word, yes.

contrarianism
people value coolness and """authenticity""" over anything else

But how does Radiohead, of all bands, deserve such contrarianism?

Yes on what?

It's the Sup Forums cycle.

Sup Forums really likes to talk about p4k and rym

rym: okc, kid a, in rainbows are all in the top 20 albums
p4k: okc and kid a both have 10s, while amsp and in rainbows are 9+

the 2016 presidential election

>contrarianism
this is what it is. radiohead is probably one of the most liked bands on the board, and it makes them an easy target for derision. it's just like how you can't talk about ITAOTS without a bunch of posters calling it a shit meme or something. i doubt the majority here actually dislike radiohead. when a moon shaped pool came out the reaction was very noticeable, with a tonne of people calling it a masterpiece and a 10/10 or whatever. they're still liked, it's just memes and contrarians getting to you

Its a mix. It's both Sup Forums being so scared of being feminine and not seen as a masculine godly chad, and its also just the fact that people want to seem different and go against the popular opinion. I'm sure some people have good reasons as of why Radiohead is shit, but on Sup Forums people never state their reasons, and if you do ask for their reasoning they immediately call you a soyboy or whatever the fuck they say nowadays

>But how does Radiohead, of all bands, deserve such contrarianism?
Because they're both good and popular

>people value [...] """authenticity"""
What the fuck are you talking about? Irony is *THE* defining feature of social media age society. THE. Fucking [b][/b] it, [u][/u] that shit, font size +200% and colour it red. Sincerity and authenticity are loathed.

Yes, but I mean, they were the band that shaped the entire culture of this board. You couldn't even argue that NMH and Captain Beefheart did this, because they each only released one album that caught on here. Radiohead's entire discography has cultivated the entirety of independent music, from here to Pitchfork to RYM, and even Reddit. To turn your back on them because of contrarianism is brutally dishonest. Had Radiohead not existed, this board wouldn't be a tenth as popular as it is now. It's like the most popular girl in school becomes nice to you, giving you popularity to your name. Then suddenly, you start to hate her and betray her trust.

The never ending struggle of a group of retards being incapable of thinking independently

I can't disagree with this.

Radiohead were always boring pleb music.

Demographic has been completely replaced by Facebookers.

How so?

>Radiohead's entire discography has cultivated the entirety of independent music
no

>Radiohead's entire discography has cultivated the entirety of independent music
I love Radiohead but this is just simply wrong. independent music has existed long before Radiohead existed.

No? Oh, really? Then name 5 bands that were both more popular AND influential to Indie music than Radiohead.

They're at best only borrowing from artists more interesting than they are, and packaging it as something accessible and pleb-friendly.

I think OK Computer and Kid A are decent, but they're not vanguard or revolutionary or whatever. Everything after Amnesiac is sort of forgettable.

What? How is that a sensible criterion?

>They're at best only borrowing from artists
Like what?

I love radiohead, but i think in general people are tired of people making music about how much they are depressed or suicidal.

Also if you were a true old fig you would know neutral milk hotel was the orginal meme band on mu

>radiohead
>the Sup Forumscore band
Lol no, newfag.

And it's been interesting and relatively popular since long before Radiohead too. John Peel was around for decades playing more progressive shit than Radiohead.

The Beatles
REM
Pixies
Velvet Underground
New Order/Joy Division

Autechre, Messiaen, Can, etc.

What did they borrow specifically?

Also those artists also borrowed form other artists too.

>Also if you were a true old fig you would know neutral milk hotel was the orginal meme band on mu
No, you idiot. Radiohead was the true Sup Forumscore band ever since this board existed. NMH only had the Sup Forumscore album. You cannot be a Sup Forumscore band with only one critically acclaimed album; there has to be a sense of longevity emanating in you in this board in order to be a band.
How not?

>Also those artists also borrowed form other artists too.
but they brought more to the table and did it in a more pure and uncompromising fashion, thus they're more worth listening to than Radiohead

I think it has to do with the fact that Radiohead fell off dramatically after Amnesiac. I still like RH in general, but nothing they have done in the last 15 years interests me in the slightest.

Because whether or not a band has been influential to indie does not mean its 'cultivated the entirety of individual music'. That doesn't even make sense, these aren't concurrent. Not to mention that individual artists and labels have existed long before Radiohead. And as one final note - Sup Forums does not involve itself on indie and individual music alone. You're treating this board like one person.

It's also painfully obvious you're just throwing words around. Please stop posting.

>neutral milk hotel was the orginal meme band
Fuck off newfag.

>but they brought more to the table
Like what?
>pure and uncompromising fashion
How was Radiohead impure and compromised?

Also you didn't answer my question. Try again.

/thread

holy shit what a colossal faggot

>Reddithead
no thanks

>Because whether or not a band has been influential to indie does not mean its 'cultivated the entirety of individual music'.
You merely insinuated that I meant being influential to Indie is enough to transcend the entire course of the format, which couldn't be more wrong. This just tells me that you clearly misunderstood my point. Radiohead was objectively the most influential band in the realm of independent music, as they seemingly blended esoteric ideas unprecedented in reality and merged them together with their own interpretations of music as a whole to craft the greatest Indie masterpieces of the genre, and some of the greatest music in general. They were the first band to gain two 10/10 albums from Pitchfork, had two of those albums reach the top 10 (one topping the entire chart) of the RYM's Top 500, and are consistently ranked among the top echelon of artists ever. No indie band could ever make albums as omnipotent and acclaimed as them and garner such recognition from both independent and mainstream critics. So when I meant "influential," I meant which Indie band(s) have managed to achieve as much as Radiohead, both in Indie music and mainstream.

Please stop posting.

That's clever but you are still musically unintelligent

>to craft the greatest Indie masterpieces of the genre
What album is that?

That's not how it works you stupid shit. I don't like them nor did they have any effect on me, therefore they are not influential. I am judge of all I survey, nothing else in this world is relevant except for me and my personal feelings.

OP bumping here. I'm going to take a shower. Keep the thread warm for me, please.

>How was Radiohead impure and compromised?
they're watered down and the "experimental" elements are subservient to pop songwriting

>Also you didn't answer my question.
yeah I'm not obligated to care about your retardation

>Try again.
no

I posted 25 seconds before you, you dumb fuck. Why would you need to bump?

holy shit what a colossal pleb

>they're watered down and the "experimental" elements
Like what? Things are either experimental or not
>subservient to pop songwriting
What's wrong whit pop format? it's fine
>yeah I'm not obligated to care about your retardation
Read: I don't know, I just listed some of their influences

He's wrong, but now you are more wrong than him.

Sure is pleb in here.

Radiiohead is just Coldplay for angry virgins.

>Like what? Things are either experimental or not
They're using it as background, decorative elements rather than the substance of the music. That's far less interesting than something that uses those same elements on their own.
>What's wrong whit pop format? it's fine
You can't really call it "experimental", can you?

seriously if you think radiohead offered nothing to the table with okc, kid a and amnesiac you just dont want to like them because they are famous

just enjoy the fucking music and stop letting your pretentious contrarian subconsciousness tell you they suck

>They're using it as background
Irrelevant.
>rather than the substance of the music
Irrelevant
>You can't really call it "experimental",
You don't seem to know what experimental means, do you?

What did they do that Warp Records didn't do first?

Those are decent albums but they're not really experimental.

>only pretentious contrarians dislike boring alt rock bands
Why should I listen to Radiohead?

>What did they do that Warp Records didn't do first?
Pop song structures.

Do you think Warp Records invented electronic music?
>Those are decent albums but they're not really experimental.
Why not?

only underage retards give a shit about this board

It's just contrarianism. They think anything that has more than like 1000 fans is not good anymore. Radiohead gets a brunt of it because of how popular they are in areas like this.

>Irrelevant.
how is that irrelevant? if you're relegating something to a decorative role, that means it's not essential and not contributing to the substance of the music. it's easily ignored and might as well not even be there. you really suck at making arguments

>You don't seem to know what experimental means, do you?
do you?

>They're using it as background, decorative elements rather than the substance of the music
Identify characteristics of "experimental" elements and within what context they're merely "experimental" in a "decorative" way rather than synergising with all the other musical motifs.

Radiohead, the most hyped and probably the most over-rated band of the decade, upped the ante for studio trickery. They had begun as third-rate disciples of the Smiths, and albums such as Pablo Honey (1993) and The Bends (1995) that were cauldrons of Brit-pop cliches. Then OK Computer (1997) happened and the word "chic" took on a new meaning. The album was a masterpiece of faux avantgarde (of pretending to be avantgarde while playing mellow pop music). It was, more properly, a new link in the chain of production artifices that changed the way pop music "sounds": the Beatles' Sgt Pepper, Pink Floyd's Dark Side Of The Moon, Fleetwood Mac's Tusk, Michael Jackson's Thriller. Despite the massive doses of magniloquent epos a` la U2 and of facile pathos a` la David Bowie, the album's mannerism led to the same excesses that detracted from late Pink Floyd's albums (lush textures, languid melodies, drowsy chanting). Since thee production aspects of music were beginning to prevail over the music itself, it was just about natural to make them "the" music. The sound of Kid A (2000) had decomposed and absorbed countless new perfumes, like a carcass in the woods. All sounds were processed and mixed, including the vocals. Radiohead moved as close to electronica as possible without actually endorsing it. Radiohead became masters of the artificial, masters of minimizing the emotional content of very complex structures. Amnesiac (2001) replaced "music" with a barrage of semi-mechanical loops, warped instruments and digital noises, while bending Thom Yorke's baritone to a subhuman register and stranding it in the midst of hostile arrangements, sounding more and more like an alienated psychopath. Their limit was that they were more form than content, more "hype" than message, more nothing than everything.

nothing will change my love for radiohead and im going to leave this thread now so feel free to not respond as u will change nothing like u always do.

Name a few good albums that aren't filled with depressed lyrics.

>Pop song structures.
wow, what radical experimentalism and innovation

also no, Seefeel and and Richard H. Kirk were on Warp, and Broadcast, etc.

>Do you think Warp Records invented electronic music?
No, but they invented the style that Kid A very clearly borrowed from.

>how is that irrelevant?
Because it's either experiential or not. They way experimental ideas are used does not make it less experimental.
>if you're relegating something to a decorative role, that means it's not essential
If it was intentionally put into a song for you to hear, it is essential.
>it's easily ignored
Ah, that explains why you don't like Radiohead you've been ironing much of the sound design
>do you?
Ah, I see, you need me to spoonfeed you because you yourself don't know.

It's music created with the experimental process

sorry you're 15 and haven't discovered interesting music yet

>what radical experimentalism and innovation
Goalpost shifting
>also no, Seefeel and and Richard H. Kirk were on Warp, and Broadcast, etc.
Irrelevant, as that deosn't sound like Radiohead.
>but they invented the style that Kid A very clearly borrowed from.
What style is that specifically?

Lots of very unsubstantiated opinions overdressed in colourful language as a substitute for actual argumentation and musical analysis. Is this the best Sup Forums can do? Regurgitate opinion pieces they've picked up from senile, out of touch music "critics" without being able to string together a coherent argument based on their own perceptions and understanding of music?
Oh right, what understanding of music.

Thom Yorke is a hypocritical piece of trash.

>It's music created with the experimental process
oh dear, lol

great circular reasoning

t. I don't know music theory, but I assume what is or is not interesting anyways

are you really this dense or are you just shitposting?

How so?
Not an argument

I'm quite sure I know more than you do

Nah.

Prove it and chart out Paranoid Android.

Electric Light Orchestra - Out of the Blue
Frank Zappa - Absolutely Free
The Stooges - Fun House
Eric Johnson - Venus Isle
Judas Priest - Defenders of the Faith
The Fishmans - Kūchū Camp (or just anything by them really)
Jeff Beck - Blow by Blow

>Because it's either experiential or not. They way experimental ideas are used does not make it less experimental.
No, using the ideas of experimental artists doesn't make you experimental. If that were the case, every artist today would be experimental. In fact, doing that would be the exact opposite of experimentation, it's just blazing a trail where one already exists.

>using the ideas of experimental artists
Like what?

List the specific idea, the song of it's original and it's originator.
>In fact, doing that would be the exact opposite of experimentation, it's just blazing a trail where one already exists.
Again, you don't know what experimental means. A simple google search would be able to tell you.

>List the specific idea, the song of it's original and it's originator.
See
He's not going to actually back up his opinions with concrete examples, theory and comparisons. He only wants to spew simplistic unsubstantiated opinions to justify his choice of music as a fashion accessory.

I'm not moving goal post here, I promise as your point is gotten. Any recent though? Like since the 90's-00's on?

>Like what?
>List the specific idea, the song of it's original and it's originator.
I don't know, you're the one who brought it up when you said "They way experimental ideas are used does not make it less experimental," autist.

>you don't know what experimental means. A simple google search would be able to tell you.
Tell me how I'm wrong.

>Like since the 90's-00's on?
Eric Johnson - Venus Isle
The Fishmans - Kūchū Camp (or just anything by them really)
Béla Fleck & The Flecktones - Little Worlds

And anything more recent like late 00's, and the 10's? Like I say, just curious as it seems most music talked about as good is more of the depressed variety and I suck at finding new music. If this is annoying or something, I understand.

Nothing because I'm pulling everything from my recent listening memory and the past couple of months I've been focused almost entirely on 80s, 70s and late 60s stuff. Radio Mocow's stuff maybe? I mean yeah they're quite derivative from old psych rock, but they do it extremely well. Shit's good.

I see. I'll have to check them out then, thanks. I don't mind the depressing stuff as I really enjoy Radiohead and other popular albums/bands that feature more down trodden introspection. I'd be lying if I said I wouldn't mind hearing a change every now and then. It's just most positive music I can think of is either almost ironic in nature(sounds positive, but really isn't) or boring mainstream pop crap.

1: I didn't see that you posted before me, retard. Whenever I make a post, it does not refresh until I send it.
2: I've had threads die on me because of me taking a shower and not noticing that no one posted. I wanted to prevent it from being archived.

Speaking of which, I need to bump this thread.

Okay, one more time.

NVM. 2 more times.

It's because it's a stupid overrated band and always has been. Some people, probably a lot of under aged ones, are growing up and realizing that it's just not good

Kid A is pop music though. In fact, it's Radiohead's ability to dip their toe into deeper genre pools while maintaining a sound pop identity that makes their music worthwhile in the first place.

Not even remotely. Kid A might superficially have homages to pop music, but you cannot call it that at all. Most of the "Pop" elements just seem covered by the Electronic and Ambient atmospheres, and the Rock parts of this album are more Krautrock and Art Rock inspired. And plus, artistically, it's just too esoteric to belong anywhere within the context of Pop; even the most Experimental Beatles records somewhat pale in comparison to Kid A's monoliths. No matter how hard you try, no mere mortal's mind will ever begin to penetrate the rhombus cave of lilac dreams that is Kid A. In fact, Kid A is a broken album. Only one would use its pieces to scar themselves into a sanctuary of flames. Kid A was a once-in-a-lifetime album. It came at the most perfect time in history, when the world flooded itself with uncertainty and ambiguity. It questioned how life would become with its abstract ideas and esoteric narratives, that truly made it a timeless masterpiece of surrealism.

This, radiohead plays around with sonic details but still manages to be pop music, hence why their fanbase is so big. This is why the beatles are so fondly regarded. Although I’d say the beatles were more experimental and overall just had more of an identity.

Read ()

from what i've seen the Radiohead detractors that have suddenly come out of the wood work say

>Tey iz nuffin mor den pop muik n cn ony dip toez in bein expermental

>Tey hav influnce fom ovar band n rtist so thy not orieginal

>vey iz ovr rted pop musik XD

>>Tey hav influnce fom ovar band n rtist so thy not orieginal
Well shit, guess originality doesn't exist.

I saw them live this summer and they were fucking great. I expect some of their sound to be lost but they preserved that shit incredibly well; even with a non-orchestral version of Burn The Witch.

Them finishing the show with Karma Police just about gave me an erection

>>Tey iz nuffin mor den pop muik n cn ony dip toez in bein expermental
>>Tey hav influnce fom ovar band n rtist so thy not orieginal
>>vey iz ovr rted pop musik XD
How's high school workin for ya, sport?

its basically an attack from two different fronts

>memerap has turned into a legitimate art form, but lil pump makes radiohead sound like mozart by comparison
>fags have turned into hipsters have turned into cucks have turned into soyboys

>>fags have turned into hipsters
Why the homophobia?