I got one: stop writing verse chorus music. This shit makes up 99% of music. Stop...

I got one: stop writing verse chorus music. This shit makes up 99% of music. Stop. You can write music without doing this. Stop giving in to "that just how songs are"

...why?

Its a crutch that people DO NOT need to walk!!

Chechem

I agree with OP. In fact I have now deleted every song that conforms to that structure off my PC. It sucks because I liked a lot of those songs but it had to be done, music must advance to the next state

thanks user, checkers are getting too rare these days

best wishes for your next set of digits

That still shouldn't trap bands that are experimental and use V-C-V structures as necessarily pop, because of one thing: you can employ multiple styles of experimental/avant-garde music in V-C-V structures alone. Bands like Mr. Bungle, Faith No More, Primus, Ween, and many others can shift entire genres in the course of a song alone, ranging from Heavy Metal to Funk to even Drone-esque sequences in a V-C-V song. Heck, if a song featured absolute Noise/Static/Industrial melodies that shift from a different time signature
(say from 8/4 to 3/4 to a completely unorthodox time signature not heard in natural music like 10/12 and 27/55*) in just the verse of a song alone, and then had the chorus that included syrupy guitars, or even pitch-shifted instruments and some Ambient melody to accompany it, could you really consider it "pop"? There's a reason why pop music is traditional; most actual pop artists (disregarding sub-genres that fuse pop with non-poppy ideas) fail to deviate from a simple, easy-going and/or catchy melody/rhythm, and instead focus on appealing sounds and accessibility. I don't consider Alternative Rock pop music because it bridges the Gap and blurs the lines between traditional Rock and Pop music with unorthodox ideas not found in the commonality of reality. As such, pop music shouldn't envelop every artist or musician that isn't experimental in your definition. And also, who says that experimental music MUST follow your definition anyway?

>liking music with babby's first A/B structure
Sad!

Yeah but those songs by Mr Bungle and Ween or whatever would be even better if they used progressive structures and more complex time signatures.

Experimental music must experiment

Exactly. Ive written music in time signature combinations i would bet money you cannot find anywhere else, and here this dude is saying that Ween is experimental with their 4/4 time sigs and A/B song structures

imagine being this much of a virgin that you think experimental music is "better" than pop.

So you think music should be totally linear? That's pretty limited in itself. Chorus/Verse structure really just means that parts get revisited.

Writing freeform music isn't easy. Until someone figures out an easier way to write non-VCV shit or comes up with another form that's equally simple to conceptualize, people will keep doing it (as they should).

Was any of it good tho? It's not hard to make shit in weird time signatures.

i agree. for the most part repeated choruses are mad cheesy.
i think as a musician it's valuable to know the theory behind generic song structure but yeah i would definitely encourage experimentation. some of my favorite songs are just single looped progressions that get built upon to an eventual trancelike wall of noise. and many non-top 40 genres tend to use constant forward movement with little to no repeating of parts.

repeated chorus, you mean if a chorus plays twice in a song? Or do you mean a refrain

AAAA structure is even lazier than ABAB structure tho.

this

i wasn't even thinking about lyrics. just instrumentally, going ABAB will usually sound cheesy. but yeah if you're copying the same lyrics along with the same chorus that makes it a lot worse.

it's not AAAA if you're progressively adding to it.. it's more like ABCDEFGHIJindiscernablefeedback.

Checked

lol, you're implying the verses and choruses in pop songs are identical which is bullshit. They tend to have lots of layers, variations, one off sounds and orchestration popping in and out.

Additive looping 'composition' is the laziest shit imaginable. It's the first thing every noob tries before slapping his own back and posting in his first soundcloud thread. I know because I've done it.

i imagine people who describe music as "lazy" being the same people who crumble over zakk wylde and shit

There are many factors when judging the effort put into music. I get that the effort that goes into looped music is more timbrel than structural but we're talking about structure in this thread. When considering structure it's hard to defend writing an 8 bar loop and then just superimposing more layers on top, rather than having all of those layers in a constant state of flux, all shifting dynamically throughout the whole course of a song with peaks and valleys, fleshing out the structure of a whole skeleton, not just piling more shit on the pile. Sure the approach you're talking about can be interesting but the arc is always the same, isn't it?

I'M THE SON OF RAGE AND LOVE

play techno