So, what do I need to know? What are the essentials and what should I skip...

So, what do I need to know? What are the essentials and what should I skip? Despite their fame I've never really listened to them

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=j6aD0CX9Yqk
youtube.com/watch?v=mq6i-VVsHoE&t=4424s
youtube.com/watch?v=YaprUQnS3DA
yeeshkul.com
ebooks.adelaide.edu.au/o/orwell/george/o79a/
youtube.com/watch?v=_JMkn1YzUeI
youtube.com/watch?v=8PbAbDW9KhU
youtube.com/watch?v=CvagOg0ZJyo
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

OFFICIAL PINK FLOYD POWER RANKINGS:
MALNUTRITION EDITION

>NE PLUS ULTRA TIER
-Saucerful of Secrets
-Ummagumma

>CONNOISSEUR TIER
-Relics
-Atom Heart Mother

>ÜBERMENSCH TIER
-Meddle
-Wish You Were Here

>PEDESTRIAN TIER (just listen to a different band)
-Dark Side of the Moon
-The Piper at the Gates of Dawn

>UNTERMENSCH TIER (kill yourself)
- The Division Bell
- Obscured by Clouds
- More
- Momentary Lapse of Reason
- Animals
- The Wall

>ROGER WATERS IS A HACK TIER
-The Final Cut

The big four are the main starting points for most. Those being Dark Side, WYWH, Animals and the Wall. Afterwards, explore their earlier psych side and their later meh side. Meddle, Obscured by Clouds, the Final Cut, and Piper are the other four that generally also stand out for people, but they're nothing like each other.

start at the wall and DSOTM
then go to their best stuff like Meddle WYWH and PATGOD
if you still want more check out the rest of their discography

oh and throw this list (and tripfags) in the trash

ummagumma studio is babby's first experimental, not worth listening to at all, but the live disc is great

protip: Don't listen to Alt-Right virgins tell you AMLOR is bad

Fuck you The Division Bell is good

OP here. So far I've listened to TPATGOD and Saucerful of Secrets. Didn't think much of the latter but the former was good. Enjoyed the psychedelic vibe and reminded me a little bit of Soft Machine and Robert Wyatt, and some other band I can't remember the name of

>Animals that low

I know this is bait but there's such a thing as going too far.

Throw this bullshit in the garbage

Disregard literally all of these posts in their entirety.

I think this is the first time in the years that I've been posting the list that someone has called it bait.

Piper is surpassed in every conceivable way by Saucerful, Ummagumma & AHM.

The Piper at the Gates of Dawn
Atom Heart Mother
Meddle
Dark Side of the Moon
Wish You Were Here
Animals

Please leave this thread tripboi

The grown-ups are talking, run along.

Their best music is:
The Dark Side of the Moon
Animals
Meddle
A Saucerful of Secrets
Ummagumma
Wish You Were Here

Their good music is:
The Wall
The Final Cut
A Momentary Lapse of Reason
Obscured by Clouds
More
Atom Heart Mother

Boring in my opinion:
The Division Bell
The Endless River

No, go away, I made a thread hoping to have a fun and interesting conversations with my friends on Sup Forums and then you've had to come along and ruin the fun. Just leave this thread please.

>Their good music is:
>The Wall

The Pros and Cons of Hitchhiking is the best solo album any member of Pink Floyd released too.

>my friends on Sup Forums
So you're just underage, alright.

Relics is a compilation album, no way it should be that high.

There are far better versions of "Embryo" live, anyway.

Hahaha, holy shit.
>DSoTM
>Animals
>The Wall
>The Final Cut
Embarrassing.

I don't care. Talk about shit music on Sup Forums if all you want is a bunch of anons feeding you the same opinion that every casual Floyd fan has.
>dude, those synths on Animals.... wow
>dude, Roger Waters is, like, such a good songwriter
>Syd Barrett dude... so underrated
Nope. Fuck off.

>Relics is a compilation album, no way it should be that high.
Good compilation albums deserve love, too.

Oh sorry, am I still supposed to consider this place "le internet hate machine "?

I appreciate Pink Floyd's music. I am sorry, Friendo, if this disturbs the equilibrium of your psyche in any way.

>There are far better versions of "Embryo" live, anyway.
Ever since Harvested went down I stopped listening to bootlegs, unless you're referring to something else.

Haha yeah, I'm sure you really have a deep appreciation bro. Some real deep thinking going on. Very personal connection.

The more I think about it, the more I realize that I like bootlegs of Pink Floyd live recordings more than their studio albums. The live half of Ummagumma is good, too. No one thinks of PF as a strong live band, but I honestly think it's where they shone most. They were great at jamming and building textures on the spot, and it often came across as more organic than their studio stuff (where there were sometimes "stinker" tracks that seem rushed).

My favorite is in the early 70s era, where they were doing amazing jams. All those "filler" songs from that era have amazing versions live. Embryo, Cymbaline, Main Theme from "More," especially Fat Old Sun (that fucking Rick Wright organ solo).

youtube.com/watch?v=j6aD0CX9Yqk

Also, there's the famous Birmingham Town Hall concert, where they did some really interesting stuff that was rarely heard or recorded elsewhere. I've searched and searched, but I think this is the best audio that exists of these songs:

youtube.com/watch?v=mq6i-VVsHoE&t=4424s

Anyway, among studio albums, I think Meddle is my favorite, but mostly because of Echoes. Wish You Were Here, Animals, DSOTM are probably there most coherent albums with all-around good tracks and perfect flow.

Yes, I think it can only be found on bootlegs.

Here's a nice version:

youtube.com/watch?v=YaprUQnS3DA

It is very personal. In fact, I think your lack of appreciation for Animals really detracts from your understanding of Pink Floyd's body of work. It's like you want to blank out the political commentary in favor of totally trippy psychedelic music, which disrupts an appreciation of their music at a fundamental level.

Very nice, saved.

They were certainly a great live act. For anyone who doesn't already use it:
yeeshkul.com
Although it seems fairly dead compared to a few years ago, and without Harvested to assist in searching out specific bootlegs I'm at a loss for amassing the collection I once had.

>political commentary
Making a juvenile adaptation of Animal Farm isn't political commentary, it's masturbation. Although I suppose juvenile masturbation is Waters' forte, what with The Wall essentially being his schoolboy diary scribblings and the middle section of Wish You Were Here being immature ranting about the industry that made him a millionaire.
Fun fact: focusing on the lyrical themes present in a piece does not give you a "fundamental" understanding of the musical content. Pitchfork-tier view of music.

Watch Live At Pompeii, absolutely my favourite thing PF has ever done, the biggest reason why they're one of my favourite bands

Ohh, that's good too. It's reminiscent of their actual live stuff, but with really good audio quality.

Most of the songs are in fact better than their studio versions, I think.

You sound just like CLT.

You hate Waters. Got it.

Animals is a brilliant album with songs longer than should be legally allowed, Gilmour is absolutely on fire, Waters divvys up the human race into Dogs, Sheep & Pigs. And it all of it is perfectly bookended with Pigs on the Wing I & II. 10/10 album.

Animals is both musically and lyrically more interesting than The Wall.

CLT (rip) and ANTZ (rip) and BootlegPoster (rip?) all had good taste in Floyd and the band members.
>Animals is a brilliant album
ebooks.adelaide.edu.au/o/orwell/george/o79a/
>And it all of it is perfectly bookended with Pigs on the Wing I & II.
Trivia: these tracks were written last-minute and only added to give Water's more royalties relative to Gilmour. True or false?

So is singing a Dr. Seuss book aloud.

Here's another great bootleg of this era:

youtube.com/watch?v=_JMkn1YzUeI

Animals is not an adaptation of Animal Farm in anything but the loosest terms. Like, it uses farm animals as allegories for real life monsters. It is about something completely different, which you know, but you are too obtuse to acknowledge the depth.

Do you have a playlist of your favorites ? Would love to throw them on tomorrow for my day off.

>it uses farm animals as allegories for real life monsters
Yeah, so does Animal Farm. What a change.

No, I don't have a playlist, unfortunately. When I want to find shows from this era, I usually just go on youtube journeys. I know a few by their bootleg names, like "Disgusting, Hardly Music" and "Atom Heart Mother Goes on the Road," but I often can't find the shows by those names on youtube.

Here's a good one I just found, it has "Green Is the Colour," which is another song that was far better live than on the studio album (same with "Careful with that Axe Eugene").

youtube.com/watch?v=8PbAbDW9KhU

Animal Farm is a story about totalitarian government rising out of a popular revolution. Animals is about widespread paranoia and pathological sociopathy of the modern world (Dogs), capitalist manipulation of government and the law (Pigs) and the masses who have all the potential to wake up and make it stop, but don't feel like it (Sheep).

Piper At The Gates Of Dawn is better in Mono, than in stereo.

Pic posted is equally as good as PATGOD, and better than Relics.

Everything between PATGOD and Obscured By Clouds is essential with the first two albums and Meddle being their best, although some prefer Atom Heart Mother.

AVOID DARK SIDE OF THE MOON AND ALL PINK FLOYD RELEASED AFTER IT!

Terrible opinion

kys faggot

Fuck YOU! Your approval of my opinion does not pay my bills, keep a roof over my head or puts food on my table. I don't give a fuck about what you think of my opinion, faggot!

>Faggot
Takes one to know one.
>KYS
You first. show us how it's done, FAGGOT!

pink floyd is boring lole.... better put on some edm 8-) or bruce springsteen haha :)

Dark Side isn't a bad album, neither is WYWH. Imagine if the radio never played songs from either, and they didn't have the popularity. Would you feel the same way?

Both are extremely well-put-together, well-produced albums with hardly any "bad" track.

On the other hand,
- Echoes IS Meddle.
- More has so much filler in it.
- Saucerful is good, but Corporal Clegg is horribly mixed, and See Saw is just a slog.
- PATGOD is good, too, but there's some stupid shit like Chapter 24 (same category as See Saw)
- Obscured is boring; some might like its straightforwardness. Opening tracks and Mudmen are great, though, and it closes with some nice textures.
- AHM is probably the best all-around studio album of that era, even if the band (read: probably Roger) hated it.

I'll start making one, then. Thanks for the links and names :)
If I manage to get a sizeable collection going again I'll start posting them in sharethreads.

Gee, what deep and original ideas to write about. Rogers sure was a visionary ;)

>Piper At The Gates Of Dawn is better in Mono, than in stereo.
True
>Pic posted is equally as good as PATGOD, and better than Relics.
I remember someone posting this exact thing in response to another PF compilation I posted a long time ago. It was true then, so I'll have to re-listen and potentially update my list. Thanks for posting.

None of that. The only kysing we will be doing is on the lips.

bwahaha what a tryhard faggot

"Money" and "Have a Cigar" are bad enough to bring the albums down considerably.
Shine On You Crazy Diamond is one of the finer multi-suite songs they've made, but Water's autism splitting it in two does it a disservice.
> Echoes IS Meddle.
No! Every song aside from Seamus is pretty nice. Seamus is questionable.

>The only kysing we will be doing is on the lips.
Actually laughed hysterically.

This is the correct answer

I came to Pink Floyd late in life. And they were an acquired taste. Oddly enough, my favorite LPs of theirs are their first and last: Piper at the Gates of Dawn and The Division Bell. Also like Dark Side of the Moon, Wish You Were Here, and Animals. The rest is very spotty.

I like the solos in Money; they redeem the track. You're right, it's the lowest point of the album, but it still (musically, maybe not lyrically) fits nicely with everything else.

I don't really like Pillow of Winds on Meddle, and Seamus is given as a stinker. Fearless is great, San Tropez is all right, but fits. One of These Days is good, of course. But, when Echoes comes on, it's like you forget about everything else (maybe that's a good thing).

>See-Saw and Chapter 24 are a slog
The worst opinions

They would have been nice with keyboard solos in them, to break up the verse-afte-verse-after-verse-after-verse. Rick Wright could certainly have done it well.

Chapter 24 has a decent length organ solo and See-Saw is pure beauty.

It's like two measures long, and is shorter than a verse. It feels like they almost wanted to have a longer one, but chopped it off.

Hi there!
You seem to have made a bit of a mistake in your post. You appear to have used a tripcode when posting, but your identity has nothing at all to do with the conversation! Whoops! Posting with a tripcode when it isn't necessary is poor form, because if you post annonymously [sic] by default but choose to gain a sense of identity in your posting, it most likely means that you are an attention grubbing whore who has their heart on being a board celebrity rather than actually contributing anything worthwhile. You should always try to post anonymously, unless your identity is absolutely vital to the post that you're making!

Now, there's no need to thank me - I'm just doing my best to help you get used to the anonymous image-board culture!

Seething.

There ya go!
I knew you could do it!

Hey my (You) counter went up but something in the post triggered my filter, does anyone know what it says ?

It's the "hi there! you seem to have..." pasta.
Seething.

Hi there!
You seem to have made a bit of a mistake in your post. You appear to have used a tripcode when posting, but your identity has nothing at all to do with the conversation! Whoops! Posting with a tripcode when it isn't necessary is poor form, because if you post annonymously [sic] by default but choose to gain a sense of identity in your posting, it most likely means that you are an attention grubbing whore who has their heart on being a board celebrity rather than actually contributing anything worthwhile. You should always try to post anonymously, unless your identity is absolutely vital to the post that you're making!

Now, there's no need to thank me - I'm just doing my best to help you get used to the anonymous image-board culture!

The amount of salt that I get from throwing something in the name field never fails to amuse me.
My (You) counter went up again, assuming he just reposted ?

He reposted.

hahaha what a towering intellect that guy must be

Hi there!

Chronological. Everything they’ve done is quality work, except for The Endless River.

>he did it again

The Endless River is just re-used material and some finished scraps, innit ?

Start with Dark Side of the Moon
Then go to Wish You Were Here
Then Meddle
Then Animals
Then Piper at the Gates of Dawn

Those are the best albums and you'll have a decent idea of all the eras.

>No one thinks of PF as a strong live band
Are you twelve? They're the ultimate example of what a rock concert should be. One of the best live bands of all time. Watch Live at Pompeii niggaaa

Kind of.

I feel like when people think of Pink Floyd, they think of their studio albums, not their live concerts. And, people here often discuss the studio albums, not the live recordings.

I ALWAYS SAID HE'D COME TO NO GOOD IN THE END YOUR HONOR

>More not their best.
Come on now.

Indeed. This performance, for example, is one of their best.
youtube.com/watch?v=CvagOg0ZJyo

>Having taste this shit tier

>dude, those synths on Animals.... wow
>dude, Roger Waters is, like, such a good songwriter
>Syd Barrett dude... so underrated
Nope. Fuck off.

>why didn't they just keep doing psychadelic stuff worst band ever
Why not just listen to uhh i dont know, other psychadelic rock you moron

>WYWH is psychedelic
???

Congrats you put the honorific piece at number 6 after all the psychadelic stuff, you truly love their music user, if only we all we as enlightened as you

we all were* kms

>you truly love their music user
I did the math awhile back and I have listened to Dark Side of the Moon a minimum of 1,368 times front to back. I've listened to Animals roughly 492 times, and The Wall 672 times (approximately).

My opinions are the most informed of anyone in the whole wide world and I have help deeper love and respect for their music than any of you can ever fathom. Your admiration for their music is but a passing mote of dust in comparison to mine.

Also, you're gay and wrong as fuck.

>I've listened to them a lot so I'm automatically the best
I suppose I should learn how to stick my head up my ass from you, an expert in the field

How could you ever presume to learn ? You are dirt. You are nothing. You have not the capacity to learn the depths I have achieved. You are Icarus without feathers.

>Not music from the film MORE in the PAST ASCENDED TIER
Don't care about this plebel

The only good way to listen to PF is in chronological order.

>"back of the line Syd"

meddle - obscured by clouds - dark side - wywh - dogs from Animals.

Rest is shit.

Essential
The Dark Side of the Moon
Wish You Were Here
Animals
The Wall

Also essential:
A Saucerful of Secrets
Atom Heart Mother
Pompeii
Meddle

Special interest:
More
Ummagumma
Zabriskie Point
Obscured by Clouds

Inessential:
The Final Cut
A Momentary Lapse of Reason
The Division Bell
The Endless River

Ah yes, a non autistic opinion

Ever watch Evangelion? If you have, then The Wall is just like it in terms of what the writers are trying to say about people.

It's also a great album and the movie is pretty fucking good, too.

To answer your question, yes I WOULD feel the same way because those albums are downright DEPRESSING! It has nothing to do with popularity or radio airplay but the messages conveyed in the lyrics, and I don't like those messages at all!

They may be well put together, and well produced, but when it comes to "Life plain SUCKS" lyrics of jaded cynicism, I'd rather listen to Steely Dan. At least they have a tongue in cheek sense of humor to their lyrics, whereas Pink Floyd just makes me want to end it all, just like PINK did at the end of The Wall. Steely Dan at least points out the humor in it all.

On the other hand,
-I think One Of These Days IS Meddle, but the WHOLE ALBUM is is, in my opinion the BEST post Barrett PF album. Not one bad song in the whole bunch.
-More has filler, but it's worth sitting through for the GOOD songs. (Like Nile Song for instance)
-Corporal Klegg is GOAT, and I happen to LIKE See Saw, but you do bring up a good point about production. I like it, because it's minimalist, but I can understand people having problems with it.
-I LIKE Chapter 24. as far as I'm concerned there isn't one bad song on PATGOD. Like Meddle, I can listen to it from start to finish and not skip a song.
-Obscured is actually a good album, but might not be everybody's cup of tea. To each their own, I suppose.
-Atom Heart Mother is also a good album, but, in my opinion, it kind of plods on. Fat Old Sun is the only song that really stands out for me. I really have to be in the mood to listen to it from start to finish.

It takes one to know one.

I LOL'D!

It always fascineted me how crap opinions about Pink Floyd people have. Often lying to themselves they like some albums, Momentary Lapse for example, it's pure bullshit, corporate yuppie cocaine pop rock mixed new agey porn soundtrack parts. Yet, people often hail it as really good. And it is not just hardcore fans who think Floyd can't do no wrong, whole bunch of new listeners like that album for example, I mean, everyone says Pink Floyd is a smart band so I am smart for listening to dated 70s pop, done in 80s style in 2018.

All in all, here is how it is.

First few albums - really good
Soundtracks - fine
Meddle - great
Dsotm and Wywh - both classic records. Not mindblowing as everyone thinks, but the way they were structured and produced is a thing to respect.
Animals, The Wall and The Final Cut - starting to become much less intereasting musically here, Roger can't write melodies for shit. There are still things to like on all of them tho. Final Cut is least popular because it is a singer-songwriter album with no psyhadellic songs to some weed to or trying to convince underage girls to sleep with you, however Gilmour will fix that soon.
Everything else after - Phil Collins style bullshit with 80s New age production and porn soundtrack effects. The biggest sellout albums by any sellouts ever, and they definitly were those.

And both Roger and David solo albums are crap suffering from same problems Floyd albums they dominated on suffer. David makes braindead sellout "once hippie now yuppie" music, and Roger is remaking Final Cut since the day it was released, sometimes with hilarious results.

upvoted