At what age did you grow out of metal, Sup Forums?

at what age did you grow out of metal, Sup Forums?

Hope no one replies to this bait after this repl

Honestly at around 17. It really is child music.

It may be a broad genre but the vast majority is just fucking awful and only listened to by kids who want to stand it or adults who never got over their teenage phases.

Around the age that I realized pussy is more important then metal. No disrespect to all the virgin metalheads on Sup Forums, I admire your determination to die as Wizards all because of music for teenagers.

I've never been into metal. Early Black Sabbath and the like will always be good tho.

How many fucking times are you gonna post this thread?

I've been growing into metal desu. I'm only 19 though, so it's not as embarrassing for the old farts here on Sup Forums. :^)

>Concerned about how adults act

Sounds like you're between the ages of 18-25 and think you're hot shit since you're an "adult" well guess what you know nothing. You are nothing. Your perception of what an adult is. Is nothing

How long has this meme been around? I remember it back in 2012.

I'm with a huge Doom Metal playlist playing here.
I'll never get out of metal.

I'm not gonna say I grew out of it, but I stopped listening to it when I was about 16.

12 or 13

but i started liking grunge around 14

Since long before metal. Dunno what started it, jazz maybe? "Kids these days, just a phase, weed and music, society pays." Rhyme unintentional.

Literally the only people that say this are the pathetic weirdos. This is your way of defending yourself without admitting you're one of the people OP is making fun of.

>Aggression is for children
How do you come to that conclusion? And why is it only aggression?

Why is complete sadness ok in music but not blind anger?

How are you such a brainlet?

You're showing that you're a brainlet too by trying to sum up metal as blind anger and aggression.

All I said was people who give the "man, why do you care what grown adults do with their free time" response are exactly the people being made fun of and it's sad. Sometimes they like to say "I don't care what people think of me! I do what I want!" but really they're just mentally ill and refuse to accept that.

Sometimes It can be that. The main appeal is the aggression

Why does liking metal make you childish?

I don't really think it does, if you want my honest opinion, but if you're going to get asshurt by someone claiming it does then you are childish, and therefore the person being made fun of. I like some metal myself.

35 and still listening
I just really enjoy the genre and will be listening when i'm in the hell moshpits of the afterlife.

Metal is really fun, if you're not a fucking autist about it. Pic related is fantastic. It's great workout music, and its awesome if you don't take it too seriously. There is absolutely nothing wrong with listening to metal, but people who take metal seriously are the worst kinds of retards.

I don't know how it happened at all desu, I used to get mad about this kind of sentiment as a kid but it happened.
Maybe it's cause I killed my T

Just getting into at 19 actually
Can anyone rec bands similar to Endon?
Or Jute Gyte?

Around 20 but I didn't really grow out of it. Just sort of stopped keeping up with it.

You're childish if you don't defend it. And childish If you do

Funny how that works out

>getting asshurt is the same as defending something
This is why you're being made fun of.

What a faggot bunch.

I have no idea, but it's comforting to know it's almost an engrained part of Sup Forums.

About 15 IIRC
The fact that there are grown ass men out there listening to that is pretty astounding.

15. The music is fine, but the imagery and lyrics are just so cringey. What grown adult sings about wizards and dragons and shit?

>Literally the only people that say this are the pathetic weirdos
What website do you think you're on?

About 14 I started smoking weed and listening to black Sunday and greatest hits of cypress hill and I couldn't do metal culture anymore

Is there a more pretentious genre of music than metal? I think not.

There's not a damn thing that metal's actually fully good at doing.

It often tries to be dark and chaotic, but it's severely held back by trying to be within standard musical structures. Stuff like industrial, dark ambient, power electronics, etc. does a far better job at actually being dark.

Metal also tries to at other times be epic. Also it tries to add in more complex, classical music inspired structures into the music to be muh intelligent. It offers both these concepts in a much watered down fashion compared to western art music which can be so much more epic with far more colorful instrumentation with complexity unmatched by any popular music genre, metal included.

But then this is where you go "but I like my music to be aggressive, you soyboy beta cuck nu male!" And metal fails at even that. The genre sacrifices too much potential for aggression by trying to do the pretentious trick I mentioned earlier where it tries to be more structurally complex or make intricate riffs which just doesn't work in a pop structure. Genres like punk (and its many subgenres), noise rock, no wave, harsh noise, even some hip hop/electronic music styles, etc. cut out all that bullshit to deliver something that's far more aggressive and hard hitting than metal will ever be.

Metal is literally the worst of all aspects of music as it's unable to bring the sophistication of the most sophisticated music, the intensity of the most intense music, the rawness of the most raw music, nor any sense of dynamics (unless it's goofy gimmicky prog shit), interesting rhythms, nor the kind of flow to the music to give it some kind of emotional meaning.

It probably ties with prog rock and art rock as some of the most overrated, shitty music ever made.

>thinks this is a step up from metal

17, got back into the grooviness of it at 20 but I don't relate to the lyrics etc.

23 here and still listen to metal, metalcore particularly. Honestly I'd rather listen to breakdowns then whatever meme rap/droning ambience Sup Forums jerks off to.

>Is there a more pretentious genre of music than metal?

Probably the shit you listen to with that attitude.

Quoting another user here:

>As someone who compliments his listening to metal with other forms of music, to me metal is the epitome of what popular music has to offer as a genre from a sheer musical perspective.

>A constantly changing aesthetic aside, the two most common values of popular music that it has over other forms of music are 1. the hooks which are melodies made to be repeated a few times rather than transition the way art music or jazz does and 2. a level of visceral intensity not offered in other forms of music (as was first exemplified by the song Roll Over Beethoven by Chuck Berry.)

>The metal genre, particularly in its more extreme format offers both of these put together in spades. Rather than punk music/rock n roll which just focuses on the visceral or really other forms of popular music that focus on hook melodies, metal focuses on both. It achieves this through riffs which are melodies with a heavy visceral bent achieved through lots of fast chord playing, distortion, erratic rhythm sections, etc.

>In order to optimize these unique aspects of popular music, the best metal tends to have song structure akin to a sonata form which starts of seemingly sounding like a verse chorus structure but then turns into a straight up riff attack. What's interesting to notice here often is that unlike say...a lot of other typical popular music like anything on the radio or a song like King Crimson's 20th Century Schizoid Man, there's no verse section where the music "calms" down as in it doesn't play a hook and resorts to usually some kind of more static two/three chord progression. The best of the metal genre is all visceral hooks (riffs) all the time.

>Metal can also deliver this in various tempos as well ranging from lower tempo stuff like Eyehategod to something midtempo like Judas Priest to something really fast like Morbid Angel.

>It's a genre that can feel hard to get, but ultimately rewarding in what it does.

It's funny, when people say they "grow out" of metal it just shows that they're mindless faggots who listen to shit as an image
Go to a metal show, talk to real metalheads in the real world. They're great people who listen to the music they love because they genuinely enjoy it. If you ever "grew out" of metal, you're a faggot and part of the fucking reason it has such a shitty image in the first place

>Is there a more pretentious genre of music than metal?
The gay indie music you masturbate over