What are your opinions on Xasthur/Scott Conner's current acoustic project?

What are your opinions on Xasthur/Scott Conner's current acoustic project?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=aASSDKpWFFI
youtube.com/watch?v=nQq8omfehjY
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

I think it’s cool he grew out of black metal but I don’t like his new stuff at all. He’s really good at finger style guitar but all the songs sound the same to me. That sort of “dark, brooding” sound they have. And the lyrics are so bad.

I watched that One Man Metal noisey documentary with him and it was just like, lighten up man. Life is not that bad.

Also, I’m not a Black Metal guy but I am fascinated by the idea of it. There was this one Xasthur song I heard that had a really incredible sound . It just sounded really great. I think it was called Dreams Blacker Than Death

i fucking hate that singer and the arrangements and songwriting are just horrible. it's that manic twitchy prog songwriting where they smash 50 chords in an incomprehensible string of awfulness. bad.

>I watched that One Man Metal noisey documentary with him and it was just like, lighten up man. Life is not that bad.

For one thing, he clearly has a disability. If you have any intuition or understand how to read people at all, then that should be blatant just by watching that documentary alone. I know this also because I follow him on his facebook page that he occasionally uses and the way he talks to people and the bizarre way he uses vague language, oh yeah. He's on the spectrum.

Also, a person's upbringing can ruin their emotional stability for life. Who knows what his family situation is like? Judging by his lifestyle you can tell the dude has been fending for himself with no help from anyone for a long time.

He’s not autistic. He’s a depressed sociopath who lacks social skills. It’s true I don’t know if he was traumatized in his past, and that might be the root of his problems, but spare me the bullshit.

>lighten up man. Life is not that bad

this is you
youtube.com/watch?v=aASSDKpWFFI

I pay out of pocket weekly for psychotherapy for my own depression problems

It's kinda cool, I saw them play live because I really wanted to see my boy Scott. It's wasn't the most interesting performancing, and I don't care for the vocals, would have been cooler if Scott still screamed. But there are other black metal projects like Trancelike Void that do the whole acoustic thing better.

youtube.com/watch?v=nQq8omfehjY

I really hope he comes back with a black metal Xasthur project, Portal of Sorrow didn't seem like a proper sendoff.

then you'd know it's not so easy to just "lighten up"

No, because I don’t talk openly about urging other people to kill themselves.

some of it is a little too technical and dissonant for my taste but basically i love it. it's as unique as anything i've heard. and being a mediocre guitarist it's fascinating trying to dissect everything that's going on in his pieces.

tracks like elsewhere from here, no telling time, fallen skies, clarity within your confusion, if thought counted, rusted veils are just beautiful imo.

i agree that the vocals don't fit, the lyrics are almost comical, and scott probably has very real mental problems, but musically everything he's done is interesting as fuck.

I'm not swinging you any bullshit here, the reason I posted that pic wasn't to try and get you to empathize the melodramatic lyrics he wrote but to showcase how bizarre the way he writes is. Sociopath is a broad term, there are successful rich people who are sociopaths - (that's how they got where they are in the first place, by exploitation). So that doesn't mean shit, autism is alot easier to spot. The common behavior symptoms can be spotted from a mile off.

>you can tell the dude has been fending for himself with no help from anyone for a long time
i feel genuinely sorry for him for that reason

Yeah but the term autistic is way overused here and being socially awkward does not make you autistic. I’m not trying to be internet psychologist or anything but It was very evident he not only lacks empathy for others, but he outright hates mankind.

I get it, he’s damaged, and I feel bad for the guy to an extent, but the hatred he has for people is just awful. He seems like a guy who had some bad things happen to him that were never resolved, so he wrote off humans forever and shut himself offf from the world forever.

Personally I hope someday he gets better and gets a healthy/beneficial circle of people to be around.

depressed people often talk like they hate everyone and everything. i've been like that myself. you're right that it's awful and people like that are rough to be around but i don't believe he's necessarily a sociopath for having the "i fucking hate everyone and just want to be left alone" attitude.

i hope he gets some help and has a brighter future too. there's something to be said for fucked up people making the best art but i don't want anyone to be that anxious and miserable.

>fucked up people making the best art
he is a good example of why people shouldn't think this way, because sure, he makes good art, but he's such a fucking cringe-lord that he makes the tortured artist look uncool as shit.

>the tortured artist look
for him i don't think it's a look.

that's funny. i meant look as like 'tortured artist seem uncool' not it as a put on. love u

Yeah but that’s why they’re “tortured artists”. Outside of their concentrated art that they pour everything that they have into, they’re absolute train wrecks.

then i guess you're suggesting that how he comes off is uncool enough to deter people from trying to follow in his tracks?
i think you'd already have to have something wrong with you to think that adopting a scott conner philosophy could ever lead to good things.

bump