Language learning

Apparently if you know Czech, you basically know Slovakian. Are there any other languages that allow you to basically know other languages so you can pretend to be some multi-lingual genius when in reality they're just really similar anyway?

That's hilarious to me that you could only learn like two languages, but understand like 5 and say you learned all of them and sound really smart.

I think Danish and Norwegian are another group that basically understand each other. Maybe Italian and Spanish?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=XBleNfmkScA
youtube.com/watch?v=nmok_GUQRQs
youtube.com/watch?v=bNTXecbIEHY
youtube.com/watch?v=MFpy7JavYts
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

just realized i reddit spaced too much. kill me

Danish, Norweigen, and Swedish are basically just a single dialectal continuem.

Mean while, most """dialects""" of Arabic are basically unintelligable to each other.

Italian- Romanian
Dutch- Afrikaans
Irish- Scots Gaelic
Russian- Polish
Finnish- Estonian
(spanish- portuguese)

Urdu and Hindi (other than the scripts) are 70% the same language. Plus Punjabi is similar to both.

All the Latin languages are quite similar.

Serbo-Croatian
You will understand bosnian, serbian, croatian, montenegrin and some slovenian I think.

>Russian- Polish
this is bullshit. that's like saying english and german can understand each other.

>Apparently if you know Czech, you basically know Slovakian.

You can understand it for the most part, you definitely can not speak it, and im not sure how this would work with non native, because Slovaks and Czechs are constatnly exposed to other language.

I have watched cartoons as a kid exclusively in Czech, played MMORPG on Czech server for 6 years and listened to lot of Czech music. I cant speak the language, i mix too many Slovak words in when i try.

Portugese and Polish

South Korean - North Korean

>I cant speak the language, i mix too many Slovak words in when i try.

it's the same case for danish/swedish/norwegian. I can understand swedish and norwegian perfectly but I really can't speak them at all since I mix them up due to how similar they are.

yeah, that one was a stretch

well that's sort of lame. i think knowing danish and understanding swedish and norwegian is pretty cool though.

I think you'd need some exposure to those languages first though. I have some Danish friends that say can't really understand Swedish.

does standard arabic exist so that they would understand each other if they spoke "properly"?

Standard Arabic is formal and mainly used in writting or official setting. Spoken Arabic differs widely.

its pretty much impossible at first but i think understanding danish would be pretty easy after living there for a few weeks

norwegians are pretty easy to speak to though

I heard that Hungarians in Slovakia who learn Slovak later in life actually can't really understand Czech, dunno how true it is tho

I'd say that one in ten people in Sweden understand me when I speak Norwegian. And that number is even lower in Denmark.
And I don't speak any weird dialect, either. I've lived in Oslo my entire life.

vocraoo?

>Irish- Scots Gaelic
no

Galician is basically portuguese that sounds like spanish

You mean Korea and Best Korea

most people don't understand swedish or norwegian here, but it's really easy if you put some effort into it. I learned it easily by watching tv shows in the languages and learning which words are different from my own language.

Why is it that Danes understand "standard" swedish better than scanian? Scanian is literally a Danish dialect that got swedenized.

Which kind of Russian do you prefer?

youtube.com/watch?v=XBleNfmkScA - russian Russian

youtube.com/watch?v=nmok_GUQRQs - ukrainian Russian

You have to spell out the differences because I can't hear them.

Polish sounds for us like a very brutal and ancient Russian or Ukrainian, I mean when you can't understand it, because now I speak it

Different accent mostly. Sometimes g/h's difference, but not always

>Scanian is literally a Danish dialect that got swedenized.
this is exactly why, it's swedish pronounciations of words with stod like in danish. It's like an entirely different language to me because it sounds so strange.

If you understand English, you can somewhat speak American

There are languages groups, for example spanish belongs to the romance language group along with portuguese, french and italian.

I still find it weird desu senpai

Scanian should be the dialect that bridge Danish and Swedish, but instead it's the least understood by both swedes and danes..

Whelp, i'm in love

just compare how they are speaking

ukrainian accent:
youtube.com/watch?v=bNTXecbIEHY - journalist speaks Ukrainian, he (Loik) speaks Russian. It's a normal thing for Ukraine

russian accent:
youtube.com/watch?v=MFpy7JavYts

Many things vary more widely than we tend to think.
For example I overheard a South American once and it took me really long to even figure out they were even talking Spanish.

>journalist
Literally this.

Russian accent sound manlier but that could just be due to the people [in the video] speaking it.

>try to learn these languages
>speak french with italian pronunciation
>speak spanish with italian pronunciation
>mix words from the 4 languages

A brazilian does not even need to speak spanish to understand what a spanish speaker means.

Portuguese to spanish - Circa 90% of intelligibility on standard language.
Portuguese to italian - Circa 60%.
Portuguese to french - Circe 40%.

Also, English, as a language influenced a lot by latin and french, have about 20% to 30% of intelligibility in written form.

This isn't bullshit. Once you understand how to read you understand it just perfectly.

>and ancient
False. Maybe it sounds ancient for you, for me it sounds as it is - as the most mutated Slavic language.

>Finnish- Estonian
No

Especially giving the fact that Oxxxymiron is a Jew who spent most of his youth in Germany and London.

As a Spanish speaker i can read Portuguese and Italian, and have a pretty solid idea what Im reading. In conversation, I have a harder time conversing with Italians, but with a lot of gesturing I can defend myself. I find it easier to hold a conversation with a Portuguese speaker.