Opinions on "a crow looked at me"?

opinions on "a crow looked at me"?

>My wife is dead
Wow, simply epic

lol epic

I feel like it was overrated by critics but I enjoyed it. Very personal

depressing as fuck

it was pretty touching but then he made a new project that is literally the same thing again and it's soured it a bit for me

poor Phil.

the new project is just aclam but with legitimately good instrumentation.
aclam is carried mostly by its lyrics and its context.

I listened to it once around its release date and I have had no desire whatsoever to hear it again

sounds like a viper album title

Sad

ITT: whiny boring bullshit

Feels bad, man

First album I cried to

Good.

eric, simply eric

The album is fantastic but not for everyone, kind of a no-brainer but I leaned it first hand when I got some of my friends to listen to it. Two of them couldn’t finish the album because it was too depressing for them, while the other one enjoyed it but not as much as me.

Hardly music. Exploitative.

a life situation != a good album
same problem with C&L

youre a moron

No, he’s right

I haven't even heard it but I remember some thread where a bunch of fags kept talking about beans or something and it made me not want to hear it

he's right that its hardly music. that was the point. phil himself said its "barely music" but to call the album exploitative is just full on retarded. anyone who has listened to phil's work can see the context for the album, which is that it is a therapeutic, cathartic set of songs that are intensely personal and meditative. i think if he could choose having his wife back or having the acclaim that ACLAM got he'd fucking choose his wife. teenagers or emotionally stunted manchildren don't understand what loss and grief really are.

>i think if he could choose having his wife back or having the acclaim that ACLAM got he'd fucking choose his wife
Does that make it not exploitative?

exploitation is more than just benefiting from something. saying he exploited her death is saying he "made the most out of it" and removes any context that is present, which is less of "cashing in" on her death and more expressing his grief and working on acceptance. moreso, just labeling the album with one word and acting like you're above it is just unintelligent.

It's an album I don't want to ever have to relate to, but it's still a great album.
The message it puts out there is the closest I'll get to understanding his position.

>Death is real
>Someone's there and then they're not
>And it's not for singing about
>It's not for making into art
>When real death enters the house, all poetry is dumb
>When I walk into the room where you were
>And look into the emptiness instead
>All fails
>My knees fail
>My brain fails
>Words fail

It's exploitative in the same sense that every piece of art is. It's exploiting feelings he has and putting into music. He's been doing this for decades, so music is probably the best outlet he has for this. Even he admits that it's not for making into art, which is why the album is so blatant and Kozelek-like.

I don't know if i'll ever really return to it, but I liked it.

Before "Death Is Real" was released my grandma died. I used to spend every summer at her house since my parents worked, and i'd help in the garden and help her can (KYfag). When we were sorting through her stuff, we realized no one had checked the mail in weeks, so I went to get it. Phil's line about getting the backpack in the mail after she passed hit me way to fucking hard because of that.

my dad liked it a lot cuz his friend died. i like it as well