/prod/ - Music Production

Tyler edition

Upload WIPs on clyp.it/

GIVE feedback and RECEIVE feedback.

>ATTENTION!
DON'T post Soundcloud, YouTube, or any other links where you are not anonymous (unless somebody asks you for it). That's considered self promotion and will result in bad feedback.

>RESOURCES:

Sound Design:
>SeamlessR (in-depth music production and sound design tutorials, based on FL Studio)
youtube.com/user/SeamlessR

>Rocket Powered Sound (Constant quality uploads of various EDM sounds in Serum with explanations that help make something unique)
youtube.com/channel/UCFReVt5TAC1zGnuNkgHw-fg

>Syntorial (widely considered the best place to go to learn synthesis)
syntorial.com/

>Mr. Bill (Ableton based, some of the best sound design tutorials on the planet. Aimed more towards IDM-type stuff. He also posts his music here)
youtube.com/user/MrBillsTunes

>BusyWorksBeats (explains hip hop in very elaborate ways in FL Studio)
youtube.com/user/busyworksbeats

>Sadowick (explains old school electronic music in very elaborate ways in Ableton)
youtube.com/user/SadowickProduction

>ADSR Music Production Tutorials
youtube.com/channel/UCf5UKh_cj2_5pUomhyswWYQ

MIXING:

>Point Blank Music School
youtube.com/channel/UCIWNozFjO8yVdJFsGKVmPgg

>Pensado's Place
youtube.com/user/PensadosPlace

>Samori Coles (Compression, EQ, etc)
youtube.com/user/homestudiotutor/videos

>Modern Mixing
youtube.com/user/ModernMixing/videos

FL STUDIO:

>WarBeats (Getting comfortable in FL Studio)
youtube.com/user/nfxbeats/videos

>Image Line Tutorials
youtube.com/user/imageline/playlists

WRITING:

>12tone
youtube.com/channel/UCTUtqcDkzw7bisadh6AOx5w/playlists

>Micheal New
youtube.com/user/Rhaptapsody/playlists

------

Now with less autistic admins
discord.me/prodthread

Other urls found in this thread:

clyp.it/bxf01oq5
clyp.it/1azjdfru
clyp.it/vcpd2j1t
youtu.be/DpJtsktNcmc
youtube.com/watch?v=j9IyK-pEQs4
clyp.it/v5ovvqpe
clyp.it/qqg1veqm
clyp.it/psi2p1gu
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Do u think Tyler and Earl ever kissed

Earl not gay

No because Earl's lips would have absorb Tyler completely if that had happened.

What's the best way to make my tracks louder without clipping?

Bro

?

I/O and gain balancing

anyone know where to find cracked ableton anymore?

Does anyone know of any fun /prod/ related sources to read or watch? Could be a youtube channel, podcast, etc. Rhythm roulette is a shitty example but it’s all i can think of atm

It's called gain staging BuDdY

Multiplier I think is his name..?

Quirky guy but a lot of what he says is wrong or off lol... still fun, some useful

Anyone know the name of the tiny white synthesizer in pic related

Casio vl-1
Crack a search engine much? it don't seem like ya do

Thanks

dead thread

What motivates you guys? I'm not asking for ways to motivate myself. I'm pretty motivated. I'm just curious as to what keeps you guys going, even when you get pissed or depressed about hitting a pleateau.

I recently met a rapper near me whose passion for music and constructive criticism has pushed me to learn more theory, more genres, more techniques, and more tenacity. I wanna make beats for this dude that makes him feel like he just got smacked in the mouth. Between his flows and my beats, we wanna choke people.

What keeps you guys going?

>What keeps you guys going?

When everything starts coming together it feels really, really good

Making music, drinking too much, and vidya are the only things i genuinely enjoy and make me not want to kill myself

music's productive and not self destructive so... that's all there is. Eh

To all the producers here: You can do it. You are something.

>gain staging
>gain structuring
>gain balancing
it’s the same shit man you know what i meant

>tfw the vocals are too fucking you cant even listen the rest of the arrangement properly
>tfw its been posted like 4 months ago and i cant repost it with fixed levels anymore
clyp.it/bxf01oq5

Best guide to learning sound design?

Today, I tried my hand at chopping vocal samples. Am I retarded for having such bad sample choices?

clyp.it/1azjdfru

watch tutorials of how to make x sound on y synthesizer of your choice

observe/follow along learn what everything does

dude please do originals
also everything sounds smashed

it's a start at least

what do you mean by smashed the production is great

>samefag
>you didn't listen through
>you don't know what smashed means

a b c

>you don't know what smashed means
thats what i asked, whats your problem didnt you read my post? im not samefagging its a conversation wtf

clyp.it/vcpd2j1t
>electronic
>chiptune-ish
>90s
>tons of samples
its not a bad sample choice you just need to cut it more and add more shit
decent, if boring. heard that guitar tone 1000 times before, do some originals

i'm sorry for not having another guitar and amp :-/

oh lmao it was the
>the production is great

mb i thought you were disagreeing on something really obvious

it's most obvious on the drums, especially when that crash happens, theyre obviously distorting unintentionally/InANotPleasingWay

Those drums are kinda slow :p

every 4th bar seems like there should be a dip and rise... some sidechaining. just add some more detail to the groove and this could actually be cool

get creative bitch wtf

don't make excuses. i have a laptop and an acoustic guitar and i make metal. download VSTs and learn mixing.

>Those drums are kinda slow :p
i know Q_Q i always have that problem. raising the bpm doesn't help and more drum hits make it sound messy and choke out the mix with how much sidechain I use

have you listened my clyp? i have better mixing skills than you.

>i have better mixing skills than you.

they're clearly subpar and you don't even know who you're responding too

stop being arrogant and get better, you have nothing to gain by trying to prop yourself up

shut the fuck up and make better music. you came here for constructive criticism, i'm telling you what i think. accept the criticism or don't ask for it

my mix is clean and with an beautiful rhythm guitar layering.

then explain why it has 25 plays lol
are you an undiscovered genius and we're just all jealous of your ability to cover a nearly 50 year old song covered by 1000 other people

it's a clyp link not soundcloud idiot
you're picking on the song choice because you cant find anything better to criticize

it's not even him replying anymore it's just some kid trying to stir up some argument

even if it is this isn't worth the time

and because your guitar has a boring tone with no teeth, your voice sits poorly in the mix, and because you're trying to explain to me why your mix is good. I don't like the mix. it sounds shitty to me. I'm one person who doesn't like your mix or your overplayed song. what the fuck do you have to prove?

ok what tips do you have to improve that mix mr. 69k plays?

STOP TAKING THE BAIT WTF IS WRONG WITH YOU

these threads need to stop turning into this ^ ffs. It must be the same people every time

fuck off im not baiting. if theres someone baiting here, its those talking shit on my mix. and i want to know what they would do to fix it.

Barry beats is the fucking man

youtu.be/DpJtsktNcmc

they told you and you through a fit because you can't take criticism. keep sounding like shit because you can't handle that you have room to improve, fine

Might not be the place for this (technically counts as music production?), but how do I get good at singing?

samuel go the fuck back to your containment general

>muh guitar tone
great mixing advice.

force me to asshole

uff fuck there was a top comment that i used as a guide as a beginner but idr where it was.... browse the top of /r/singing / search for some guides there

The common key points i've found after looking into it/I found most useful to learn and practice:

>practice and record yourself and fix mistakes you hear etc etc
>learn to differentiate where you're singing from (chest vs head (i'm assuming you are male, there's a difference))
>strengthening the head voice will ultimately lead to strengthening/extending the rest of your range
(a "weak" voice is often the result of breathiness)
>practice hitting right on pitch, don't slide into it

hopefully you can go off that, i'm no expert :p

this guy helped me a lot
youtube.com/watch?v=j9IyK-pEQs4

>>muh guitar tone
>great mixing advice.

okay that's confirmation that this is an imposter
even that autist would know a mix depends on the tone

>how do I get good at singing?
Hmmmm...tricky one...maybe take some singing lessons and practice singing a lot.

>even that autist would know a mix depends on the tone
the tone is good. the user just said it's unoriginal. you are the imposter here.

good in general doesn't mean good for the mix regardless

i think the tones are ok. what is your opinion?

just bee urself

The rhythm electric is too bright/thin and should act as a lower layer to the acoustic, with that more focused on the strumming sound.

that descending lead sounds pretty decent but an octavefuzz or doubled up an octave down would make it sound better

Nektar Impact GX61 worth the money? It's the cheapest 61key midi I was able to find. Never owned a midi keyboard before BTW.

honestly i think everything at that level is equally shit

while they do the job, don't expect to be able to play dynamic soft piano etc. the only ones i'd steer clear of are those mpks just because the keys end up popping on so many people

Well what would you recommend? I have a budget of 120 bucks and am really only interested in playing piano vsts

I personally wouldn’t get anything lower in quality than a N.I Kontrol keyboard unless you want some cheap plastic crap that won’t outlast its warranty

Why was Tyler such a shitty (((friend))) to Earl?

i'm not recommending against it, i'm just saying don't expect it to be super nice

i looked into it wanting something with nice keys, realistic velocity and no frills attached on the cheap- they don't exist right now. it's a huge gap in the market

You have the option of cheap daw controllers with velocity gaps and meh keys (what you can afford)
or

mid-high priced controllers, nice keys etc but you might as well just buy a synth or electric piano at that point to use.

i ended up getting a steal on an oxygen 61 used from gc for 60ish shipped. I still play kontakt pianos on it but the velocity range of whatever vsts you use has to be narrowed to compensate; you'll end up editing whatever midi you record if you want it to be more dynamic.

i read somewhere that all of these low end controllers get keys from the same manufacturer and all have the same general responsiveness. Pick your poison or get more money man. They're usable just not great honestly

Tyler the Fagator

How?

Trying to figure out why they don't talk to each other and each came out with albums dissing each other. Did Tyler try to rape him?

Whatt does it prod think of Tyler's pre bastard output?

you get 90%+ of the details of the HS8's without it being muffled.....AND IT'S HALF THE PRICE

no shit I'm getting these

I get the impression earl thinks Tyler is fake for wanting to be a star entrepreneur and Tyler thinks earl is fake for only making gloomy music

shill posting tier

>fruity plebs gets its own section in the OP
o i am laffin

t. Yamaha shill

*blocks your path*

i hate this thread

clyp.it/v5ovvqpe
tape experiment

yeah that sounds pretty slowcore

clyp.it/qqg1veqm

been slowly improving mixing my own recordings. Don't have the best equipment but want to get to a point where I can at least make my stuff sound indie professional.

Any advice?

mmm i think that key/synth thing was too loud and bright

reverb would be more appropriate if if thin'd out with eq/seperated more

the mix sounds pretty washed out. throw those harmonics in the back.

i like your voice though, i'd have like to hear some weird delay manipulation on this song.... like a flaming lips approach i guess.

thanks I think

thanks for the feeback, man.
I was definitely wondering if that key/synth was too loud, gunna mix it in tigher.

care to expand on the harmonics in the back advice? I'm not sure what that means but i def want to make the mix sound less washed out

Upgrade from Ableton Live 9 Suite to 10 is 199$. Should i do it lads? It's 20% discounted currently.

whats the upgrade from standard to 10 suite cost?

yes

to make something sound further away all you have to do is lower the volume and either shelf or low pass the highs out ezpz. sending to reverb helps also

I'm too stupid to find where i can see that.

clyp.it/psi2p1gu

Also, warning, abysmal generic and sloppy metal guitar playing.

So I'm having some pretty annoying phase inconsistency with my metal guitars (pic related)
Guitars are panned left/right 75%, recorded using differing pickups on guitar, use different amp sims/ cabinet IR's etc etc. I've flipped polarity, tried to EQ different ranges on both of them, but they seem to not stop dipping into negative phase.

I drag other metal songs mixed by others with guitars far wider than mine and the same phase inconsistency doesnt come up.

What the hell am I doing wrong here?

Anyone have a non-expired discord link?

>panned left/right 75%
>sims/ cabinet IR

can't really tell without seeing your chain, but i'd have to guess you fucked up on the cab settings somehow

also why not hard pan lol

why is there a thumping/odd frequency at the first hit on my kick every time.

>also why not hard pan lol
because that only exagerated the problem.

Mastering?

check your compression attack/release settings.

yeah that's not how phase works

How do I develop the 'perfect pitch' equivalent for mixing?

I want to be daredevil tier, like be able to listen to a recording and hear specific brands of compressors and shit, be able to know what mic was used with what technique etc

At most I can recognize certain synths and fx boxes by quirks and I can tell guitars and bass brands apart but thats about it

How do I git gud at this, is there a type of double blind training akin to interval training apps for music theory?

Anyone play piano here?

Should I buy a normal stage piano like a Yamaha cp40, or buy a midi controller like studiologic sl 88 and play using vst piano?

My main aim is to have a portable setup while still having the best piano sound possible

Jfc I had a long post typed out about why this is the wrong mindset and refreshed the page.

Tl;nottypingagain forget learning mics and equipment quirks. Learn recognize frequencies, critically listen, and have mic knowledge

Stage piano, you won't get the same feel to your playing without weighted keys, and at that price point of controllers you might as well get a piano with it. If you get something with midi out you can use it as a controller later anyway

Thank you, didn't know the HS8s weren't bright, I'm getting those

Good stage piano to recommend? I'm considering the Yamaha cp40 or the korg grandstage since they are the most affordable to be, Roland is expensive here.

Also 73 or 88 key? I play an upright at home but I kinda feel like I almost never use the top and bottom octave, and 73 key seems lighter which is good.

Alesis andromeda or korg monopoly?

Ahhh I really can't help. I always read that people tend to go for the yams. Personally I'd check out nord too just because ik they model other pianos and instruments.

That's all you man, if you don't use they keys and want to be able to carry it around easier go less ofc

Yes

So transparent

I'm no expert but maybe try leaving some thing in the middle like I don't know 200-300hz. If it only dips out of phase why not hone in on those bits.

I don't deal with guitars but was amazed when I summed Filter's No Reentry to mono, which I considered a great sound, and the guitars practically died.