Matthew McConaughey turned down Guardians Vol. 2 to do The Dark Tower

joblo.com/movie-news/matthew-mcconaughey-turned-down-guardians-vol-2-to-do-the-dark-tower-231

>I like Guardians of the Galaxy, but what I saw was “It’s successful, and now we’ve got room to make a colorful part for another big-name actor.” I’d feel like an amendment. The Dark Tower script was well written, I like the director and his take on it, and I can be the creator, the author of the Man in Black—a.k.a. the Devil—in my version of this Stephen King novel. We’ve done the first one. It’s a fantastic thriller that takes place in another realm, an alternate universe, but it’s very much grounded. For instance, the gunslinger’s weapon isn’t a lightsaber or something; it’s a pistol. I enjoyed approaching my character as if I were the Devil having a good time, getting turned on by exposing human hypocrisies wherever he finds them.

we give him props for this or no?

Is the Dark Tower considered CapeShit or CapeKino?

He fucked up, first Dark Tower will flop and none of the sequels will get made.

Bit surprising.

He's been whoring himself out to everything from Lincoln to Wild Turkey. Guess Disney was just too far.

He just doesn't want some small supporting part which will make him inelgible for all other future roles in the MCU. He is hoping for at least one movie with him in the lead role during these 20 years of MCU movies.

how does the dark tower have anything to do with capemedia

That's what I was thinking desu.

He probably wants to be a lead.

Lincoln Lawyer was pretty comfy though.

he'll make a shit walter, he's incapable of being menacing. hot garbage.

Smart man

>Disney's Guardians of the Galaxy vol. 2 or Sony's The Dark Tower
It's not even much of a choice.

That was a stupid decision, they've already cast Idris Elba as Roland which is a big red flag indicating that the people involved don't give a fuck about the Dark Tower. Guardians of the Galaxy II would have at least pulled a great box office, Dark Tower is going to flop hard and I say that as someone who would really like to see it succeed.

Was just thinking this, I'm beginning to wonder if Sony's movie department is one big "Producers" scam or if they just get off on suffering.

don't question Sup Forums logic. their just memeing retards

The lincoln commercials were High Art.

BASED
A
S
E
D

>entering the most lucrative franchise in the history of the industry
>enter the pending abortion that will be The Dark Tower.
King has lost his mind
Sony is hot garbage

Cape=shit

Casting Elba in any role is a good decision. He can act and is captivating. So is mathew.

I don't see it as bad casting decisions. If the movie is bad then it's due to Sony's production/directing failures.

he has ethics he won't do shit capeshit he wants to do more meaty ass roles he is definitely the greatest living actor imo

alright alright alright

>but what I saw was “It’s successful, and now we’ve got room to make a colorful part for another big-name actor.” I’d feel like an amendment.
I get his logic, but honestly I'd just run with it if I were him. After GotG2 and Infinity War I doubt MCU will stay cosmic long.

now this is a story all about how my tower got flip-turned upside down

No, casting him as a grizzled white cowboy in a story where the character's race and appearance are major plot points is not a fucking good decision, he can be the greatest actor in the world and he doesn't fit the part, imagine if Marvel had cast Viggo Mortenson as Luke Cage on the grounds that he's a good actor, would you call that a good decision?

Anyways like I said Elba is only a symptom of the underlying problem, the people making the movie don't give a shit and don't want to make a Dark Tower movie. Pic related for example, this is the Gunslinger's outfit, you could put this on Clint Eastwood himself in his prime and it wouldn't look like Roland Deschain.

that part about him liking Flagg casting because he has more control over it suggests to me that he went with Dark Tower because he doesn't want to deal with Marvel production meddling

they've already said they aren't making a direct adaptation

they are making a pseudo sequel which allows them to make whatever changes they want and it's ok because muh parallel worlds and muh endless cycles of rebirth

He looks way too clean cut for a guy who is supposed to be a wanderer.

>he's incapable of being menacing
You two need to watch Killer Joe.

>Casting Elba in any role is a good decision.
It was a Current Year Hollywood decision. It wasn't a decision based on acting ability. It was a decision based on skin color.

Well, let's do the math. One is a nearly billion dollar franchise and the other is a piece of shit produced by Sony Pictures that will flop at the box office because literally no one cares about Stephen King adaptations anymore and Sony doesn't give two shits about the quality of the abortions they call movies that they produce.

Casting Elba is going to backfire on Sony, which sucks because I actually like him.

>casting a black man as roland

guess theyre completely dumping the detta storyline

A major part of the main character is his whiteness though. There's a racist black woman in the novel who treats him like garbage.

This. Memes aside, I like Elba. But this is a terrible miscast and they picked him for all the wrong reasons and play toward none of his strengths.

Anyone else thinks it would've been better if Mcconaughey and Elba's roles were reversed?

*blackfire

Marvel villains are always terrible roles anyway. Dark Tower will probably be trash, but Matthew will at least be more memorable in it as Flagg than as milquetoast Marvel villain #4321.

better but mchue is southern and spindly. roland is like a more western character.

Yeah. Man in black not a nigger. Roland-is a nigger. kek

christ you're right

how can Sony fuck up so hard

McConaughey seems like a cool dude.

My buddy who is a big fan of the book says there is hints in the movie that indicate it takes place after all the books and its an alternate universe, i guess one where roland was black.

see

But how else will they make detta a white racist bitch to vilify whitey?

>how can Sony fuck up so hard

I mean, did you even look at the movies they released in 2016? Or 2015? Or 2014?

I'm still convinced that their film division is an elaborate money laundering scheme or some shit.

Detta and Eddie won't be in this, and if they were it will be off handed references

the main focus of the movie will be this twisted relationship/pursuit of Jake Chambers by Flagg and Roland

>Major parts of the lore and interactions depend almost entirely on his being white
>Every depiction of him has been white
>Described as white
>King based him on Clint Eastwood
>"Let's cast a black guy, so progressive!!"

May as well make a movie based on King George and make him black, yet keep all his children and forebears as white, or make a movie about Bruce Lee and cast an Arab in the role... Wouldn't exactly make sense, would it?

I didn't even care about him being cast in Thor considering they are just aliens and weren't the actual Norse gods of legend, but when you have to rewrite lore and change entire plot and character motivations, then that's the one time you don't change a character's race or sex.

>Twisted relationship
What? Jake saw Roland as a real father figure and idol that he was intertwined with the retarded faith system to be with. Wasn't really twisted unless you count him dying and Roland going insane.

Movies released by Sony in 2016:
>Passengers
>Inferno
>Angry Birds
>Ghostbusters
>Magnificent Seven
>The 5th Wave

Is there a shittier US studio?

film people say the relationship in the movie will be

Roland pursuing the Man in Black
Man in Black is pursuing Jake
Jake is pursuing Roland

and how each of them will use the other to get to the one they want

>he'll make a shit walter, he's incapable of being menacing

I heard Magnificent 7 was ok

hope they make the gunsliger right like when he kills a whole town full of crazy peeps

How are they going to make Roland a father figure in the movie if he's black?

And they all flopped. Hard. The only reason Sony can make these throwaway movies without taking any real losses is because of the ridiculous amounts of money that consolefags give them.

>never heard of Texas Chainsaw Massacre: The Next Generation

are they making jake white or black. or possibly hopefully an asian girl

little white boy with a Viking mother

>tfw Clint would've literally been perfect for this role

>The Dark Tower
moar liek The Black Cock

>Dark Tower will flop and none of the sequels will get made.

This.

Stephen King movies are overwhelmingly ass.

I wouldn't want to be associated with racebend garbage.

So what? Just reverse the roles. Not a big deal unless you are literally autistic (or racist).

Who the heck would he have played in Guardians 2?

Kurt Russel's character? Sly's character?

Wont be watching this because they cast a nigger as The Gunslinger!

you underestimate the pull of McChonagheeyee on women who will then drag their husbands to see the movie

like other poster said, he was effective in Killer Joe

Cool it with the buzzwords Anita, I'm sure we'll get to see plenty of them when this turd tanks

>you will never fuck autistic virgin Juno Temple

You overestimate it.

racebending is racist in the first place. giving black people roles that they're not suited for so they'll like you is essentially racist

this, a black roland is moronic. Clint and mcconaughey should have been walter and roland. Elba would be alright as suze maybe. How about john leguizamo as eddy?

Sam Rockwell was literally born to play Eddie.

Here are my guesses as to how they'll adapt the story.

- 5 minute cheesy intro with hammy voice-over narration about how Gilead fell to wow the audiences with magickal cgi explosions and so on
- in modern-day New York there's a vigilante on the streets, an urban legend, a boogeyman called Roland. he's street-wise and the community likes him but he seems to appear and disappear out of thin air
- Shia-type fast talking Eddie and a sassy young woman who need no man stumble onto him and get to know him better
- Shia-type due to cirumstances starts to learn about how to be a gunslinger, sassy girl learns some stupid magic crap
- Evil Rust appears and starts to upturn police cars and summons a dark thundering cloud over NY and he wants to merge this world with Roland's world which he already corrupted(!)
- he is defeated by the trio, each showing off their strength
- in the end Evil Rust talks to his boss who tells him not to fail him again
- the trio enters the portal to Roland's world "to set things right"

I'm probably 99% right.

>racebending is racist in the first place.
No, it isn't.
>giving black people roles that they're not suited for so they'll like you is essentially racist
He is perfect for the role. Your premise is factually incorrect.

is that the same Dark Tower were Ronald is now black or was that a fever dream I had?

it'll have nothing to do with the books other than using some of the characters? Sounds terrible btw

here, nigger

Good, McConaughey is insufferable

He'll fit right in in Stephen Cucks novel