/lang/ - Language Learning

>What language are you learning?
>Share language learning experiences!
>Help people who want to learn a new language!
>Find people to train your language with!

Check the first few replies ITT for plenty of language ressources as well as some nice image guides.

Other urls found in this thread:

4chanint.wikia.com/wiki/The_Official_Sup
duolingo.com/
drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B9QDHej9UGAdcDhWVEllMzJBSEk#
fsi-languages.yojik.eu/languages/oldfsi/index.html
memrise.com/
lingvist.com/
clozemaster.com/languages
tatoeba.org/eng/
forvo.com
effectivelanguagelearning.com/language-guide/language-difficulty
lexicity.com/
cosmogyros.tumblr.com/post/108962232110/huge-new-language-learning-collection
dliflc.edu/resources/products/
en.childrenslibrary.org
hellotalk.com/#en
italki.com/
mylanguageexchange.com/
interpals.net/
gospeaky.net/
speaky.com/
polyglotclub.com/
lang-8.com/
goethe-verlag.com/
languagetransfer.org/
babadum.com
context.reverso.net/translation/
youtube.com/watch?v=ahA9S-f2Vlg
dic.daum.net/index.do?dic=eng
zkorean.com/dictionary/search
href.li/?http://translate.naver.com/#/ko/en
reddit.com/r/Korean/comments/rq3th/the_ultimate_beginners_resource_thread/
domandhyo.com/
naver.com/
4chanint.wikia.com/wiki/French
my.mixtape.moe/pkukrh.webm
youtu.be/5RQ-UcKtgVQ
youtu.be/Dfb9-ZTCA-E
youtu.be/a339H_aqXx0
pscp.tv/w/1djGXLykZOdGZ
incubator.duolingo.com/courses/cs/en/status
liveomg.com/?filter=periscope.tv
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

>Language learning resources:
4chanint.wikia.com/wiki/The_Official_Sup Forums_How_to_Learn_A_Foreign_Language_Guide_Wiki

duolingo.com/
>Duolingo is a free language-learning platform that includes a language-learning website and app, as well as a digital language proficiency assessment exam. Duolingo offers all its language courses free of charge.

>Torrents with more resources than you'll ever need for 30+ languages.

drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B9QDHej9UGAdcDhWVEllMzJBSEk#
>Google Drive folder with books for all kinds of languages.

fsi-languages.yojik.eu/languages/oldfsi/index.html
>Drill based courses with text and audio.The Foreign Service Institute (FSI) is the United States federal government's primary training institution for employees of the U.S. foreign affairs community.These courses are all in public domain and free to download.Site may go down sometimes but you can search for fsi on google and easily find a mirror.

memrise.com/
>Free resource to learn vocabulary, nice flash cards.

lingvist.com/
>It's kinda like Clozemaster in the sense that you get a sentence and have to fill in the missing word, also has nice statistics about your progress, grammar tips and more information about a word (noun gender, verb aspects for Russian, etc.)

ankisrs.net/
>A flash card program

clozemaster.com/languages
>Clozemaster is language learning gamification through mass exposure to vocabulary in context.Can be a great supplementary tool, not recommended for absolute beginners.

tatoeba.org/eng/
>Tatoeba is a collection of sentences and translations with over 300 hundred languages to chose from.

radio.garden/
>Listen to radio all around the world through an interactive globe

forvo.com
>Has pronunciation for lots of words in lots of languages

effectivelanguagelearning.com/language-guide/language-difficulty
>Check out information about languages and their difficulties

lexicity.com/
>An invaluable resource for comparative language study as well as those interested in ancient languages

cosmogyros.tumblr.com/post/108962232110/huge-new-language-learning-collection
>A very extensive language learning collection for 90+ languages.

dliflc.edu/resources/products/
>Similar to FSI, drill-based courses with text and audio issued by the US government.These courses were made for millitary personel in mind unlike FSI.

en.childrenslibrary.org
>Lots of childrens books in various languages, categories 3-5yo, 6-9yo, 10-13yo.

hellotalk.com/#en
>The app is basically whatsapp, but only connects you with people who are native in the language you are trying to learn. It also has a facebook type section where you can share pics and stuff too.

italki.com/
mylanguageexchange.com/
interpals.net/
gospeaky.net/
speaky.com/
polyglotclub.com/
lang-8.com/
>Few more language exchange communities like Hellotalk:

goethe-verlag.com/
>A mostly free site which offers audio and drill like exercises for 40+ languages.

languagetransfer.org/
>A free resource with recordings to learn a language.

babadum.com
>Flash card game with a focus on vocabulary.

context.reverso.net/translation/
>A website like Tatoeba (also has a Firefox extension!)

Previous thread:

Learning German, always looking for people to practice with.
Please do not use Google as your dictionary though, I use dict.cc and recommend it if it has your language

i enjoy wiktionary

I use dict.cc as german-english, even though I'm not a native english speaker.

English and german are so similar it makes more sense than trying to translate straight to finnish.

It's the case for the ones I mentioned too. I learn English by reading Wikipedia and learning to program, not by listening to gangsta rap. Two birds, one stone, etc
my life is the very definition of fun btw

I don't know about Finnish, but the English-German on there is really good I think, so if you are good with German I can understand trying it. It does fairly well pointing out the different context for different words/phrases
>t. Apparently now a dict.cc shill

btw what's the french opinion of romanians? gypsies?

No I'm good with English, just starting out with German.

Started making this pic. I don't think one exists yet? I don't really know what else to put in it, I'm not that far into this.

What is everyone's reason for learning a language?

I am a boring horrible prick who's suicidal and I want to learn Mandarin so I can teach Chinese abroad and maybe delay my suicide.

Sorry, I misunderstood. Has anyone actually tried that Rise language learning program? I agree with the thing that Duolingo is really more a vocab supplement than anything, but I take classes at Uni so I don't know of any free resources to learn grammar and stuff. I wonder if there is a free uni course material available online; I know I see tidbits when I search some grammar online from universities

Also put that when learning vocab you learn the gender with it, and to make an adjective ending chart for the different cases

im going to brussels in a month so i have to learn french in order to not feel like a dipshit dipped in shit dip

No real reason, self improvement I guess.

get michel thomas on that list

They hate the parasites, but are actually OK with Romanians who either stay in their country and work, or come here, learn the language and contribute to society. But the ones who beg for money to the point it's become organized criminal networks are hated. We're aware not every Romanian is like this though; I even know of some guys who went to Romania because med school is easier there or something.
Another thing I've noticed is that Gypsies (the gangs who roam the land not even speaking the language, stealing anything they can for quick bucks and even pimp their girls) are often romanticized in movies, songs and novels; no idea why. Lefties love them and jerk off to the dramatic side of it; while alt-righters are disgusted by it.

>Engish
to get into programming + there are more info written in English as a general rule
>Arabic
because religion
>Norwegian
was learning this when I was still planning to live in Norway, changed my mind since so gave up on it

I managed to get myself on an online course from a local school. (So it was in Finnish.) Can't say it was terribly useful, I think I would have made just as much progress with youtube and duolingo.

Added, couldn't think of anything useful to say about it. I haven't listened through it yet myself.

>What is everyone's reason for learning a language?
it's interesting and fun

Is it weird case for colonial language to not stick out, like Indochina?

Started learning Turkish for my wife, but the relationship fell apart so now I'm trying to keep at it to repair what I can.

>Is it weird case for colonial language to not stick out, like Indochina?
I'm not sure I follow your question

>learning Portuguese for a year
>can type with ease and understand stuff much better
>"wow your Portuguese is so good!"
>try to communicate verbally
>autism explosion and shut down

>autism explosion and shut down
It's called "being nervous". Just keep doing it.

I mean that nobody here knows the colonial language (i.e. French).

If South Vietnam had won the war chances are Vietnam would have French as an official language still. The communists were very anti-France.

good question, now that you mention it's true that your region is an exception in this regard. Maybe you simply have a stronger culture/history/identity compared to Africa and the Americas?

>was learning this when I was still planning to live in Norway, changed my mind since so gave up on it
Why?

iktf. I'm shy and anxious in general, so attempting to speak in another language is always a challenge. We'll get better, hang in there.

Teach me English and Japanese

Been studying Japanese for quite some time to read compelling content, but now I'm at a point in my life where I want more than just Manga and hentai.

You already apparently speak some English. :o)

youtube.com/watch?v=ahA9S-f2Vlg

red pill + religion + met my family who're still "back home" and decided to live with them instead
working on it right now

>Studied Spanish for 7 years (10 if you count compulsory classes at school) and lived in Spain for 2 years
>Able to read and write perfectly fine
>TFW still sound like a fucking weirdo when I speak, I get so fucking embarrassed sometimes

>musulman
>en France
>a eu des plans de s'émigrer à Scandinavie
>codesinge
Est-ce qu'on peut-être plus stéréotypique que ça?

Korean:

Dictionary
dic.daum.net/index.do?dic=eng zkorean.com/dictionary/search

Translator
href.li/?http://translate.naver.com/#/ko/en

reddit.com/r/Korean/comments/rq3th/the_ultimate_beginners_resource_thread/
domandhyo.com/ (Korean with comics and shiet)
naver.com/ (News site and search engine)

excellent video friendo

give me French stuff to listen to. If this was Spanish I would listen to several hours worth of reggae ton but frenchies apparently are above it

Full of french media recs here, lad.
4chanint.wikia.com/wiki/French
I recommend Joe Dassin and Yamasuki (not in French but made by French japanophiles)

i used to start shaking whenever i spoke spanish or german to customers at work, now my heart just beats a little bit faster. keep speaking

>be american
>try to understand foreign languages
>result: my.mixtape.moe/pkukrh.webm

>codesinge
Pas tant que ça, non. Mais bon, ici les gens cherchent le maymay épique comme Mme Michu cherche le clash en zappant sur sa télé, donc forcément on le voit partout.
Si pour toi un musulman qui étudie pour avoir un travail honnête et apprend la langue ainsi que les coutumes d'un pays où il souhaite émigrer, non pas pour les aides sociales mais pour les opportunités d'emploi, est un stéréotype; on vit carrément pas dans le même monde. Même des globalistes comme BHL ou Attali auraient la décence d'admettre que ce profil est assez atypique parmi les immigrés.

What kind ?

Try over voice chats, it'll help.

I don't know how you missed the first two, those were easy

I guess self improvement
to experience a different culture and for "fun"

I cannot speak and understand English. Teach me English.

And,

日本語を教えてよ!

My synagogue organizes projects to go subvert other cultures in different nations around the world, and we get to pick where we go from a list as long as we learn the language enough to be successful in our endeavor over the course of 2-3 years.

Fuck off Trudeau

Opinion of Jim Watkins?

英語より日本語のほうがならいやすいかもね、韓国人の場合は

>"good" in Mongolian
caйн (sajn)

>"good" in Mari
caй (saj)

KHAN'D

bump.

Well we have a saying for relationships

Seveni sikerler, sikeni severler.

Maybe it'll help, probably not.

>tfw i got the gist of what you were saying without relying on romanian
FEEL THE PROGRESS BABY

the hungarian relation is showing

Can anyone help me out and tell me what's a forking "lidded crook"?
It's appeared in several Kanji already, and I still have no clue on what that might mean.

>crook
Whoops, it's crock.

>not including my Turkish chart

it's like a pot
look it up on google images

Is memrise just a meme? It's basically Rosetta Stone.

It can be useful, but you need more than just memrise.

Hey, so I worked on this.
The people from /djt/ have mixed feelings about Heisig but other than that they don't have any problems with it.

There's a lot of /djt/-specific memes in there, pal. You sure that's not too much for outsiders?

Also I don't think going straight from learning the kana for a day or two into reading is the best method.

In terms of RTK, I think it's more important to tell people what they're getting into rather than whether or not they should use it. I was a big supporter of it but after a while I realized it was a huge waste of time.

I started learning Spanish a month ago, and around Christmas have an opportunity to go to Spain for a week. I'm studying on average two hours per day, do you think I'll be able to understand anything by then? Maybe be able to get around a bit? Or will it be too soon? I'd be about 5-6 months into my study by then.

memes?
There's only dekinai-chan and that's as a joke. So people know when they see her.

The rest are what i used and I found out on my own from sites, youtube and different people though maybe some came from /djt/.

I guess it might not be best, but you learn as you read. Spending a week or so learning the alphabet or hangul or any language is pretty bad. Since you see them in action when reading you are better adapted compared to somebody who just spent ages looking at the same characters for a week.

RTK I agree it's not for everybody but I learnt 2000 kanji in 3 months and wwas hopelessly lost without it. I struggled for ages drilling kanji for months to no avail. It really helped me out, sure there are other methods but that worked a lot for me, it's a mixed bag really, and optional.

>It seems that everyone here can speak 2-3 languages
>When you're 24 years old and only A2 EngRish """""speaker"""""

Well "here" is a pretty special place and you could quite easily still change that. I'm 25 and I just started learning german this year.

How to fight jealous?

Looking good!

I know nothing about studying Japanese, but is there any Duolingo or maybe listen and repeat type stuff for it like Pimsleur?

There is Pimsleur and it's pretty good.

Don't waste your time on the Michel Thomas, though. Unless you wanna learn that "ice cream" in Japanese is just butchered English.

I'm 31 and only speak English, just starting to learn Spanish. It's great that this thread has multilingual people rather than all neophytes since they have experience to share with us.

Life tip as a 30+ year old: Try not to compare yourself to others. Instead just know where you are at, and set achievable goals within your own bounds of what you are capable of, and keep improving constantly in life. Every year pick something to really work on for self-improvement. Language, health, family, whatever.

Interesting. I've been finding Michel Thomas is pretty good for Spanish. It's not an end all, but a reasonably good tool to have combined with everything else.

Just don't give a fuck? There will always be people that are better than you. There will also be people that are worse than you. Just deal with it and move on.
Also this.

Updated and final version. Next time the new OP better post this.

Yeah the Japanese one was done after he died. It's not him in the audio. It has some British chick that repeatedly pronounces "manga" the way you say "mango."

And yeah the life tip is good. I wish I was 24 just learning a language again. After years of Japanese I had to admit to myself I'll probably never go to Japan or have a conversation with a qt3.14 Japanese girl so now I'm learning Spanish.

youtu.be/5RQ-UcKtgVQ

a classic song

What about Tae Kims book? Everywhere else it's the recommended book for Japanese.

(not used myself)

Another important thing.

I know many of (including myself) were grasped at some point by more than one languages.
"Oh this Russian movie is cool I really should learn it" "I like kpop better start Korean together with my three other languages I like" "Why not Chinese?"

Just stick to one, don't let the fad of the week mix up your progress.

yeah this is hard. I want to learn Latin, Spanish, and Mandarin for different reasons. I see Latin as a gateway to all European languages, I need to self-teach myself Spanish to test out of a class for college, and I want to learn Mandarin because I want to to teach English in China.

I really have had to shelve Latin because it's just not important enough at the moment

I already put it.
It's a free website, the book costs money.

Tae Kim's guide is definitely a great resource, especially since it's free and on your mobile device so you can look things up on the go (even without internet).

There are some hardcore polyglots out there that learn 2-3 at a time. I envy them.

I envy anyone who can speak multiple languages. I try to talk to spanish speakers on Sup Forums and I am looking up every other word even after years of on-and-off attempts at learning it

PseudoNEET, a way to spend time. Also saving up to go on a trip to Iran next year, so knowing some of the language seems useful.

Paying homage before we glassify it and divvy it up between India, Iraq, and China?

REEEEEEEE, IRAN DID NOTHING WRONG
>Iraq
This is no longer Saddam's Iraq, they would fight with Iran

>after years of on-and-off attempts at learning it
That's my Japanese in a nutshell.

It really does suck. I can see myself getting better at it, but I just lack the drive to keep learning. Then I forget a bunch.

>10 years of learning Japanese
>I'm at the level of someone dedicated spending 12-15 months

I've discovered this show recently, it's cringy a little bit, but damn Lola is hot despite being a bitch
youtu.be/Dfb9-ZTCA-E
youtu.be/a339H_aqXx0

>not watching girls undress for that immersion

pscp.tv/w/1djGXLykZOdGZ

>pscp.tv/w/1djGXLykZOdGZ
Broadcast not found…
What's happening now?

you missed everything

; ~ ;

incubator.duolingo.com/courses/cs/en/status

For that one user waiting for Czech on Duolingo

I never get that lucky.

liveomg.com/?filter=periscope.tv

Just wait

I follow a few Spanish speaking ones to listen to at night, just haven't found the right ones yet that get lewd.

Kek. A JDIleaF

With dedicarion you will be more than ok.

>tfw I know 14 languages and am fluent in 6 of them