Woke up to BBC America marathoning Star Trek: Voyager (RIGHT NOW!)

Woke up to BBC America marathoning Star Trek: Voyager (RIGHT NOW!)

Second episode in... Janeway and Torres outsmarting every man on the ship!

God, I love this series!

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=p3yY4mFLjDM
youtube.com/watch?v=EvGXWBv4FvE
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Oh fuck off Sup Forums

>Oh fuck off Sup Forums

Sorry you missed the BBC promo but they let us in on how NO WOMAN has gone where Janeway is going.

The episode right now focuses on one of my Trek characters of all time.

hint:it's a Talaxian

They should go back to marathoning TNG

>NO WOMAN has gone where Janeway is going.
Amelia Earhart got to the Delta quadrant before her.

>They should go back to marathoning TNG

Yeah, but they did that for at least a year or more and ran through the show multiple times given all the time slots it was in.

I'm glad they are just starting with Voyager and more recently TOS as well.

>dat 90s webcam
>TOS playing on the laptop

damn, they went all out on that shot

>watching the worst star trek

>>TOS playing on the laptop
Seriously, that is very crazy. Video playback on a retail computer didn't exist until 1991. Based on the setting I thought it was at Apple HQ being shown that new tech but it appears to be a trade show in 97.

>trade show in 96*

>watching the worst star trek

The Voyager crew was fun, cohesive, and emotionally compelling. Even characters like Chakotay and Harry Kim had their high moments and a lot of their shortcomings are on the writers. Beltran is a fine actor and Garrett Wang made the best of what was purposefully written as a cardboard greenhorn.

It's an underrated classic, even with all of it's writing flaws. Most of the criticism ends with 'wasted potential' which goes to show that, at it's best, it created some fine examples of both Sci-Fi and Star Trek.

The doctor is the only good character in Voyager.

Tuvok is a caricature of Vulcans, Neelix is a bumbling idiot (his daughter was hot though), Seven of Nine is also a Vulcan-type, they made her boring, Janeway is the dumbest captain, Chakotay is a traitor of his people, Paris is a dumb jock who's only skill is being a good pilot and they just invent ways for him to save the day with his piloting skills, Kim is also boring and uninteresting.

Voyager is the ultimate SJW show:
>female captain
>gay doctor
>black vulcan
>a native american
>one white dude
>an asian man
>asexual woman
>black klingon woman

>The Voyager crew was fun, cohesive, and emotionally compelling

Are you high? They are score dead last in all three of those categories. A boring, inconsistent and generally unlikeable cast.

> Voyager is the ultimate SJW show
So any show without an all white male cast is SJW now? Why is Sup Forums so easily triggered?

oh Kes...

Outsmarting Neelix and the chink who don't think? GTFOTBQH.

>So any show without an all white male cast is SJW now? Why is Sup Forums so easily triggered?
I'm not Sup Forums, I'm /leftypol/. I'm a communist star trek fan.

I just don't like the forced diversity and lazy script writing - "they all look different, so they must be different!" When in fact every character on Voyager is dull and boring.

Neelix looking cheeky as fuck on that phone.

If your politics is all about pointing out how bad something is because you disagree with it, and you take your politics into everything you see, even a fucking Trek thread, you'll be a miserable bore your whole life. And you'll never realise how shitty you've become.

>Tuvok is a caricature of Vulcans
Compared to who? Spock?
Tim Russ' character actually fit in and was one of the few written properly. If you dislike his being black, that's your problem.
>Seven of Nine is also a Vulcan-type, they made her boring
He calls character development and one of the pieces to saving the show "boring".
>Janeway is the dumbest captain
Enh, her and Archer are about on par with gaffes, it's just that hers are so huge and blatant with some of the stories that they stand out way more.
Kate Mulgrew is one of the franchises few good actors in the lead. She's at least superior in terms of the characterization to Avery Brooks whose lines were recited like each syllable weighed a pound.
>Voyager is the ultimate SJW show
>gay doctor
They gave him multiple love interests so that's just patently false.
>an asian man
At least your post got funny.

>Are you high? They are score dead last in all three of those categories. A boring, inconsistent and generally unlikeable cast

No, I'm quite sober and I make my assessment mostly on on the actors and the chemistry of the cast.

DS9's main cast is inferior to most of the surrounding characters. Without Quark and Odo, it might would be hard to watch without all of the talent they hired as return guest like Dukat, Kai Winn, Garak, Weyoun, Sloane, etc.

The Enterprise cast is easily the worst of all but I blame that on Rick Berman. They made Malcolm into a stiff board and for no good reason, the female linguist had aboslutely no personality, and the conn officer was a forgettable young black guy. The show's redeeming character is Trip and sometimes Archer (thank season 3 and 4 for that).

>Neelix is a bumbling idiot (his daughter was hot though)
Do you mean his wife's son? I don't remember a daughter

Star Trek is political you stupid man-child. Star Trek made it easy to visualize how a post-scarcity communist utopia could look like. There is hierarchy in Starfleet because it is a militaristic organization and some sort of order is needed, however there is no mention of any UFP government or people being forced to do anything. In fact, according to Picard in First Contact people are free to better themselves, pursue their interests and be what they want to be. Sisko's dad owned a restaurant and he was shown to genuinely enjoy his job and love cooking. Sisko's son was a journalist because that's what he loved doing.

As I said here I dislike the laziness of forcing a visually diverse cast.

TOS
Had the first kiss between a white man and black woman on screen. Sulu was asian, then you had a drunk, a womanizer, a funny man and a level-headed man.

TNG
Worf was black, so was LaForge, and the counsellor was the rank of commander and they had a female doctor who was the only one who could order the Captain around (Starfleet rules). Yet they all had different personalities and were genuinely different people.

DS9
The captain is black, Worf is black, Bashir is an arab (or Persian?) and you have a strong female character who was part of a resistance.

Other shows manage to be diverse without playing diversity bingo. I have no problem with women, black people, asians, native americans etc. but don't just shove them in there for the sake of having them in there.

a e s t h e t i c

Old timer here - you could playback video as far back as the early 90's, and even short clips in the mid to late 80's. ...It just wasn't very pretty.

We were download half-arsed movies from BBS's in 92-93, at a whopping 28.8bps. (Usually 320x200@256 colors and maybe 10fps, for half your hard drive's space.)

Here's a computer from '86 playing Star Wars:
youtube.com/watch?v=p3yY4mFLjDM

(Granted there's some modern thinking behind that insanity, but that thing was even further behind the '91-'95 PC's than they are behind our modern ones.)

>hating on DS9

Why does Weyoun remind me of Dennis from It's Always Sunny?

Wait, why was there a nigger in your bed?

At a certain point over-thinking your entertainment becomes boring, and more about you than the entertainment you're consuming. You described yourself as a Communist Star Trek fan, which is actually reductive.

As for Voyager, its problem was the Trek train was out of steam, the ideas had gone. The diversity was there in place of characters because they had no characters. Seven and the Doc, that's all they had in terms of people who felt like they had a life going on inside their heads. If the whole cast was white they'd still be dull as dishwater. I don't like racial, sexual or gender pandering, and voyager never rang those bells for me. Everyone had flaws.

I love how you matter of factly just state "Worf is black", "so was LaForge", "Sulu is Asian

Tell me, when did Worf at any time describe himself within black guidelines? His actor is a black man (who talks like some baby-boomer college professor). Exact same thing could be said about LaForge. Sulu being Japanese in the 60s was far more progressive and even then it was just his name and his being Japanese, never a central issue.

This is taking dislike of people and race to illogical levels when you consider the show and the country it was filmed in.

You should actually be worried about STD, where a character's personal traits and race are shaping up to be the central issues.

>mfw Chakotay's just introduced Katherine to her animal guide right now

>Star Trek: Voyager
>Lost In Space / marooned in space series
>Captain Feminist orders ship to destroys device to return home
>Crew goes along, and doesn't engage mutiny
>Crew carries on being Starfleet lost in space with no way home
>Everyone honors Starfleet regulations, dress codes, despite no reason to do so with no hope with no subordination of punishment by authority

I've found Star Trek: Voyager's concept to be the most difficult to swallow, or accept. Everyone goes along with the Captain who has basically ended their chances of returning home to a normal life.
The Captain made the dumbest decision ever and if the show were real the crew should have done mutiny and put the captain in the brig until returning back to Starfleet.

>voyager
>not DS9
Yeah nah

>The diversity was there in place of characters because they had no characters.
That's my whole point. Instead of writing characters they just decided to make them look different and called it a day.

>Tell me, when did Worf at any time describe himself within black guidelines? His actor is a black man (who talks like some baby-boomer college professor). Exact same thing could be said about LaForge. Sulu being Japanese in the 60s was far more progressive and even then it was just his name and his being Japanese, never a central issue.

That is my whole point! TNG and TOS had non-whites in and it was never the central issue. They managed to have a diverse cast but not because of different races or genders, but because the characters were written as different characters. Compare it to Chakotay's "I am Indian, we great people", Tuvok being black for some reason even though Vulcans are usually portrayed by white actors. They tried to write Janeway as a strong female character but they just had her behave like a man. Compare Janeway to Kira Neris who actually seems like a strong woman, she's very feminine.

I'm counting on you to keep this thread alive you lovable weirdo.

>As for Voyager, its problem was the Trek train was out of steam, the ideas had gone.

Would that be the fault of the writers who ran out of ideas? Their stories became too routine, and most were simply modern renditions of previous stories.

Star Trek Phase 2 was originally supposed to be the next chapter of Star Trek (as seen in Star Trek The Motion Picture), which follows Decker & Ilia into another evolutionary step of combined human & artificial intelligence into the unknown.

>Star Trek Phase 2
I'm glad that shit never happened because Gene was so high and lost in space while being on Earth that most of his ideas had been twisted into parodies of their original "Phase 2" versions when they showed on TNG.

Yes, there was Measure of a Man, but season 1 and 2 had a lot of Gene approved scripts (his ideas for the pilot having a homosexual kiss and just a single hour of Q was thankfully shot down by execs)

>That is my whole point! TNG and TOS had non-whites in and it was never the central issue.

No, it wasn't your whole point. You quoted my comments then don't even touch on them. Klingons aren't inherently black, humans do have some black people and Geordi is human. Ditto with Japanese. What's the issue there? Why is that something worth greentexting? You brought up characters I didn't.

I think the universal translator is broken.

Janeway was fuckin hot in the 90s.

>suddenly can't read the English language when I point

I don't even care that you don't like a diverse cast. I just hate you saying "Worf is black". His character's not black and they hired a lot of black actors for Klingons. Bringing up Geordi and Sulu I'm still confused by. You're implying that having humans who aren't white in a future where humanity considers all humans equal by law is somehow out of line. At least acknowledge how that doesn't follow in the slightest after having it pointed out.

point out your hypocrisy*

>You're implying that having humans who aren't white in a future where humanity considers all humans equal by law is somehow out of line.
I never said that.

I said the universal translator is broken because there clearly seems to be a misunderstanding either on my end or your end. And I don't have the time or the will to clear it up.

>I don't even care that you don't like a diverse cast.
I never said that either. I said I don't like the forced diversity for the sake of diversity.

>I just hate you saying "Worf is black".
The actor who plays Worf, Michael Dorn, is a black man.

>Bringing up Geordi and Sulu I'm still confused by.
Geordi is a black man, Sulu is an Asian man, they're both non-white males. It was an example of hiring diverse actors but writing their characters properly. Rather than hiring diverse actors and hoping their physical differences can replace good writing, like in Star Trek: Voyager.

Wake up faggot

Have you written a Weymar shipfic before?

>The actor who plays Worf, Michael Dorn, is a black man.

But you didn't say that. You said "Worf is black". You said that "Geordi is black"; "Sulu is asian". Do you know how green text works? You made it a point in your run-down post of DS9, TNG, and TOS that Worf was black, Geordi was black, and Sulu was asian. You posted this in response to saying they had forced a diverse cast.
I don't think you understand what "forced" means. Klingons were originally painted in brown paint. And the Federation society is all inclusive and humans live on a planet where the governing body is called "United Earth". That means no nations. That means a diverse crew would not even be abnormal so therefore it wouldn't be forced. This is the crux of what I'm trying to get across to you. It's WRITTEN in a highly diverse society.

>I would like - a name.
>*goes seven seasons without giving him a name

THANKS O'BERMAN

>schweitzer
>zimmerman
>mozart

DUBS NAME THE DOCTOR

LETS HEAR EM PEOPLE

Doctor Nigger

I don't want dubs.
The character was so good it didn't need one.
The EMH is easily a top 5 character for me.
Although, if forced, it wouldn't be more than two syllables. Long names take away from precious moments and lines of dialogue. Too long a name can literally cost the series money over time.

I just saw that episode with the Ferengi in the Delta Quadrant

They don't even bother to put forehead ridges on aliens sometimes, some races of "aliens" just look identical to humans

What the fug

They should have just named him Doc like Tom was always calling him.

>Doctor Doc, MD, EMH, PHD

Why didnt he just use the Vulcan word for doctor or someshit

Because it would probably translate back to Doctor or Doc to everyone except Tuvok due to the UTs in their combadges

It worked for Sean Connery

also Janeway just decides to ignore the Prime Directive in this because she hates Ferengi

That is an example of literally nothing distinguishing them from humans that is unacceptable considering how far out of the way they went to make DS9 have a trillion background species.

The only thing I can think of is they believed the aliens would be less funny if they looked too alien.

Here is another example of just forgetting that aliens are supposed to at least look alien at the minimum.

There's an argument to be made that it was The Federation who organised the auction and allowed them to join that gave the Ferengi the ability to interfere with those backwards yokels, but I don't recall if anyone did. I suspect not though.

If the humans are speaking mostly English and the Bajorans, the Batazoids, the Bolians, the Vulcans, the and Neelix where speaking their native languages, what language does Naomi speak?

Probably English as that's the language her mother spoke (she was the human and the alien was the dad) and would have heard until they gave her her own combadge with its own language settings

The argument is complete sophistry

In that TNG bidding episode the Ferengi go into the wormhole against all the rules and laws and break in, its not like the Federation sent them into it

Its a real thin stretch to claim she isnt violating the prime directive, which is weird because Janeway will usually follow it if it means deaths of thousands, I cant see her being too upset at some people being financially exploited

To me it's more believable that they evolved to be just like us rather than have arbitrary ridges that serve no evolutionary purpose.

Naomi's mother speaks t h i c c - milf

It's star trek lad, makeup and a skimpy dress already makes you an ayylium

>rather than have arbitrary ridges that serve no evolutionary purpose.

Humans have a bunch of arbitrary shit that serves no evolutionary purpose or is an evolutionary vestige.

Name one.

The Cecum

the ear lobe, the tail bone, the appendix, the palmaris muscle, male nipples, wisdom teeth and many many more

>Woke up to BBC
hehe

All those served a purpose once. What could the Bajoran nose ridges ever be useful for?

your genitalia

Well I dunno, just make up some inane shit, maybe their ancestor species had a huge bone there for defense and ritual mating combat.

A vestige isn't something that existed in the same form previously and had a use, it's the remains of something that preiously had a use. They could have evolved from anteaters and never lost the ridges because it doesn't negatively effect survival.

kek

I don't like how they introduced him in the middle of season 6, and everyone instantly is comfortable with with sentient holograms and personally likes him, even distrustful holodeck-hating autist Odo. Reminds me of roy from the simpsons.

but the way he cured my nigga nog of his PTSD really endeared me to him, fun character t.bh

Surviving or deterring getting punched in the nose, the same way Klingon foreheads allow them to headbutt others without feeling it

Just watched the Benny Russell episode. Never thought I'd hear nigger in Star Trek.

Ol' Yellow Eyes Is Back > This One's From the Heart
Fight me

"Johdi WE WUZ KANGZ i sweh it!"

Avery Johnson got to do like whatever he wanted with a few episodes and that nigger is crazy lol.

>Avery Johnson

It's not Sisko but damn close!

Male nipples

A as an episode taken separate from it's place in the series, it is far and away a far worse episode for all the reasons stated about it in the thread. This includes how they are reacting to talking with Riker to the actual events itself. Everything about it is a mess even compared to A Night In Sickbaby.

>Is there anything the transporter can't do?
>shelter for 80 years
>duplicator
>rejuvenator
>can turn you into a ghost and back
>time machine
>dimensional travel machine
I never considered how many times the transporter was used as the plot device dujour when the writers had an idea but couldn't get there.
10/10 post for reminding us of just how magical it is compared to the rest of the ST tech.

I found that episode's premise to be novel mainly for what we found out at the end. A race that creates a virus that transmutes DNA so that their history will never fully be lost so long as someone came there BUT:
>hazmat suit flamethrower species
The fuck was that about? Why not just exterminate everything on the planet if it's such a huge deal?
On a side note, I thought the transformed crew's makeup was good with the frog like throat bubbles.

>and the one where Riker falls in love with a space tranny.
That was a complete embarassment of an episode mainly for Frakes' unintentionally hammed up delivery of that other guy who looked like a generic version every white smooth jazz musician.

You think Data likes Hatsune Miku? I do.

Dukat and Weyoun is a way better pairing than Damar and Weyoun. Damar is a good boy. Dukat is a slut.

>TOS
White American male captain
White (Green?) Vulcan/Human male first officer
White American male doctor
White Scottish male engineer
Asian American male helmsman
African American female communications officer
White Russian male tactical officer

>TNG
White British/French male captain
White American male first officer
Android (male personality) science officer
African male engineer
Black Klingon male chief of security
White American female doctor
White Human/Betazoid counselor

>DS9
African American male captain
White Bajoran female first officer
Black Klingon male first officer
Changeling (male personality) chief of security
Persian male doctor
White Irish male engineer
Jewish Ferengi male bartender
White Trill female (with male personalities) science officer
African American male

>VOY
White American female captain
Native American male first officer
Black Vulcan male chief of security
White American male helmsman
Spanish American Human/Klingon engineer
Holographic doctor (white male personality)
Talaxian male head of morale
Asian American male tactical officer
Ocampan female
White American/Borg female

>ENT
White American male captain
White Vulcan female first officer
White American male engineer
White British male chief of security
African American helmsman
Japanese female communications officer
Denobulan male doctor

Deep Space 9 and Voyager were the most diverse.

>A Night In Sickbaby.
i'm sorry but is that the one where picard says that deanna has to keep her ayyfugee child even though it was immaculate conception?

youtube.com/watch?v=EvGXWBv4FvE

Spanish American Human/Klingon female* engineer

Moonman

>White American male captain
>White Vulcan female first officer
>White American male engineer
>White British male chief of security

Jesus Effing Christ, Berman. We get it, it's for white male conservatives.

Dr. Johan Faggerstrom

>when you're reading a health article and the headline starts with 'seniors, women, and caucasians'
>your brain immediately reads it 'seniors, women, and cardassians'

Do I need help yet?

>DS9

Most diverse cast and yet has the most appeal of all the Trek series.

It was a milestone not because of it either. The guy earlier acted like DS9 was some sort of mega in your face push at diversity. Trills are unique and hardly trannies. It's understanding that handing down a living memory device to a male or female immediately means they're turning into every version of their previous host.

At least they bothered to try and explain the coalescence of all that. I'm surprised a tranny like character such as Kirk's conn officer wasn't there instead of just gay white guy. Bryan Fuller pretended like he was going to make it LGBT in space (because Trek's just for branding).

>Kirk's conn officer

From ST Into Darkness, not the original series, lol

Bump

I remember that shitty episode, it was another women's empowerment episode where janeway and amelia lead the way the in both of their respective groups

earhart's navigator is some hick flask drinkin tough guy naturally. it was another cool idea that sorta nosedived real fuckin quick and iirc was like one or two times they actually landed the ship on a planet

Been watching Star Trek:Voyager for the first time ever on BBC all day today.

Am I the only person to notice how bad Kate Mulgrew's acting is? She reacts to everything by opening her eyes wide.

Her basic acting reactions are : Serious stern face, surprised (serious/wide eyes), concerned (wide eyed), distressed (serious face again), happy (smile), and sneering.

Time to look shocked before the commercial break Kate Mulgrew, better give them to wide eyed look.

Another commercial break, better open your eyes wide again.

It takes her two seasons to find Janeway. But I do admit the acting in like seasons 1.5 is rather obvious, especially cutting to breaks or having a revelation.

Still think by the end of it she played a megalomaniacal idealogue to near perfection.

Yes, I do realize it takes time to get comfortable with a character. I'm just surprised it's not already a meme.

Captain Janeway wide eyed....

What character will he play in the upcoming tv series?

>Star Trek Discovery gets a gay character
>he's an ugly inbred middle aged brit
W
O
W

what the fuck am i and Bashirfaggot supposed to fap to

DS9>TNG>>>Voyager>enterprise>>>>>>>>>>TOS

TOS
Wrath of Khan
Search for Spock
Voyage Home
Undiscovered Country