Which one is better? or which one do you to the most?

Which one is better? or which one do you to the most?

I would say Sgt Pepper because it's more honest.

Wtf is right?!!!!!! The Beatles are the best band ever obvi they did it better and first!

I would say we're only in it for the money because it's more unique

>dude-lsd-lmao vs fedora-the-album

What makes We're Only in It a fedora album though?

I imagine they're referring to Zappa's general manner that so often gets lambasted here. However, I think We're Only in It is one of the best realizations of his positions on societal issues. He doesn't really pick a side, brings forth nuanced perspectives, etc. ..Uh, and the music is cool/innovative/often funny, which I like.

WOIIFTM for me. Much more innovative, much more radical, much more experimental.
Both are great though

>Much more innovative
What was innovative about it?

HUR DUR I'M FRANK ZAPPA
I'M SO EDGY AND SO CLEVER OOOOH LOOK AT ME LE REDDIT MAN
THE BEATLES ARE GARBAGE BUT ALSO APPARENTLY IMPORTANT ENOUGH THAT I'LL MAKE MY ALBUM COVER A PARODY OF THEM

The use of sound collage and classical elements in a rock context, in a much more psychedelic and directly "rock" manner than on Lumpy Gravy and in a much more unified and coherent manner than on Freak Out! or Absolutely Free

>The use of sound collage and classical elements in a rock context,
Already been done
>much more unified and coherent manner
Not innovation, that's refinement

Alright, fair enough
I still prefer it on a musical level but I suppose you're correct

>>The use of sound collage and classical elements in a rock context,
>Already been done
Also, got any examples aside from Zappa himself? I'm interested in this kind of stuff
The only one I can think of is The United States of America, which came out a couple days after WOIIFTM
I mean, there's An Electric Storm, Joyride, Ummagumma, and a couple others, but all of those were released well after WOIIFTM

Huh, I never noticed this

Pepper's is a considered masterpiece, but I've got a soft spot for the lampooning of hippies.

this

>aside from Zappa himself?
So you are admitting it's already been done? Why bothering to ask for examples if you already know?

Doesn't the fact that zappa was reddit in the 1960s seem sort of impressive to you though? I mean if Freak out came out in the 2000s sure

All of his examples were release after the Zappa album

Freak Out, Lumpy Gravy and Absolutely Free were not

>Also, got any examples aside from Zappa himself? I'm interested in this kind of stuff
The inner groove hidden track on Sgt Pepper

>So you are admitting
Good lord, I'm not on trial here, I'm just trying to discuss some music
I'm taking Zappa's first couple records as a unified body of work here - collectively, Freak Out!, Absolutely Free, Lumpy Gravy, and WOIIFTM are highly innovative
I guess you were more accurate in describing WOIIFTM as "refinement", because it pushed Zappa's production techniques further and more coherently mixed the "experimental" and "rock/satire" aspects of his approach

I like Zappa but Sgt. Pepper's is clearly the better album

how else would you satirize modern culture without involving a definitive focal point of that culture you absolute fool

>Good lord, I'm not on trial here, I'm just trying to discuss some music
OK then, fair enough. I admit my examples were going to be the USofA record and I was quite dismayed to look it up before posting, and to find it was released literal days after WOIIFTM. My other example would have been The Monkee's HEAD but that was released in November 1968.

BUT I would say The Beatles' "I Am The Walrus" has elements of the sound collage you are referencing, as well as some stuff on Jefferson Airplane's After Bathing At Baxter's. Give me a few minutes, I'll see if I can dig up more.

Oh also Grateful Dead's Anthem of the Sun is a mess of a collage, but again, that was released July 1968.

>BUT I would say The Beatles' "I Am The Walrus" has elements of the sound collage you are referencing, as well as some stuff on Jefferson Airplane's After Bathing At Baxter's. Give me a few minutes, I'll see if I can dig up more.
Thanks, good points on those two
I had thought Baxter's came out in 1968 for some reason, I guess I was wrong

You could also make the argument that the modular recording techniques of Good Vibrations/SMiLE/Smiley Smile is collage-like, as the actual construction of the compositions are varying pieces assembled later.

>reddit
Also Zappa is better than the Beatles.

kek

Wtf is left?!!!!!! Frank Zappa and the Mothers of Invention are the best band ever obvi they did it better less than a year later.