What EXACTLY does it mean to be "Western"?

What EXACTLY does it mean to be "Western"?

Semi-white, liberal society, LGBT rights, multicultural society, general degeneracy, bad food, high taxes.

western european or a descendant of western europeans

nothing says professionally made map like MS paint colored map and missing quite a few borders

>semi white
Seems dubious

So Latin America is Western? Former European colonies in Afrique are Western?

White.

the ways of /int

It means being a part of Western civilization. Basically europeans or people of european ancestry.

>brazil
>homogeneous
which idiot created that image?

>So Latin America is Western?
Obviously
>Former European colonies in Afrique are Western?
No, there are not of european ancestry. Their culture existed before colonization.

But that's just it, how do you define western civilization?

But colonization changed their culture into something that it wasn't before. it "westernized" it, even if only by introducing Christianity or English (or whatever euro language).

Should there be a distinction between "western" and "westernized" like there is between "Hellenic" and "Hellenistic"?

The Mexicans map is fake and stupid.

Everything you just described is the liberal or the arguments of the democratic party. You did not describe Western societies very well.

Western civilization:

Western societies are European or decedents of European civilization. The history and cultural of Western societies goes all the way back to ancient Greece and Rome. Western societies have dominated history for the past 500 to 600 years and have paved the way to modern civilization.

Western means modern, industrial, power, control, wealth and intellect.

In other words. Everyone wants to live in a Western societies, for millions of people flock to them every year because they are the best in the world.

>So Latin America is Western?

To a certain extent

jewish-christian-roman-anglo

This is what I mean when I asked if there should be a distinction between "western" and "westernized".

Latin America speaks European languages and are Christian. yet there is none of the financial and social success one sees in Western countries. I'd say latin America is Westernized

Originally it meant a civilization heavily influenced by Greek philosophy and the philisophy of the enlightenment. Now it means tolerance and apathy.

The whole world is westernized to different degrees. Doesn't mean that other cultures stopped existing.

What does success have to do with belonging to a certain civilization? Detroit is not western now then?

Definitions that follow religious lines don't fit right IMO.

For example, in CalLEAFfornia we have many White people who are Tibetan Buddhists. Would these people qualify as Easterners because of their religion? No, that's fucking retarded.

Traditionally Western countries: former parts of Rome in Europe (Islam reverted the Roman influence outside of Europe), colonies of Western countries are westernized but to varying degrees depending on the populations. The US and Canda are fully Western for example, a country like Mexico is westernized. An example of a non-Roman country that is still fundamentally Western is the Netherlands because they are orbiting the Anglo-French world.
Traditionally Non-Western countries: Central European countries like Germany, Austria, Hungary, all the Slavs. Most of these are today artificially westernized throughout conquest (doesn't imply violent). Those on the periphery are not (yet?).

greco-roman heritage, enlightenment inspired policies, rule of law, separation of powers, separation of church and state, democratic rule, freedom of speach/religion/confiction etc.

more or less

this

Very well said, Magyar. Thank you, I think this sums it up nicely.

Good shit. I wish i had that in my post

You described a liberal democracy, not a western country.

Usa is westernized also by your logic