Mayweather's 49-0 "record" (we can't count Conor as a legit fight) means shit when you compare it to Rocky Marciano's

Mayweather's 49-0 "record" (we can't count Conor as a legit fight) means shit when you compare it to Rocky Marciano's.

I'll explain why here.

1. Mayweather is a defensive fighter, it's easy to not lose when you run away and rack up points to win on decision. Marciano knocked people out to win matches, he has one of the highest KO percentages in boxing history.

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Julio_César_Chávez
youtube.com/watch?v=HhIB8be86w4
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

2. Mayweather fights in manlet weight divisions where nobody punches hard enough for a real KO, so it's easy to take a few shots to the face and continue the defence game. Marciano had a true granite chin since he was taking power shots in the heavyweight division and surviving.

3. Mayweather ducked fights. 2009 Pacquiao would have KO'd Mayweather. Floyd knew this which is why took years for the fight to take place, Pacman being way past his prime. Marciano fought anyone anytime. You can see now why Mayweather wanted Conor (not a boxer) as his last fight, because he's scared of real opposition that might break his record.

4. Mayweather's dick has been in every boxing judge's mouth. Look at the score cards for his matches against De La Hoya, Pacquiao and McGregor and tell me they were not biased. He sends nice Hublot watches worth millions to judges and referees after fights you can see why that happens now. Marciano never had any connections to the Mafia as some people claim, that was just a myth to try to discredit him.

5. Mayweather is Black, and through affirmative action his ranking in pound-for-pound lists is higher than it should be. Marciano, an Italian, has suffered from institutionalised racism his entire life. He has been called a "greaseball", "guido" and "Mulignian" several times in major publications.

De La Hoya had that fight, still mad that Mayweather got the decision

Why ISN'T he counter as the record for longest winning streak?

Beats me

Not that it's the end-all anyway, Ray Robinson was 131–3–2 when he first retired with wins over a slew of HOF-ers. You'd have to have major OCD to argue that's less impressive than a carefully managed 50-0

Because he has a draw

You can't be GOAT without losses. The way you manage/react to losses is also part of the sport. A fighter who never experienced losing (even if unjustly) is not a complete fighter because he didn't get to experience what the sport has to offer in its entirety.

I agree with the poster who mentioned Ray Robinson.

This desu. People are obsessed with invincibility.

Not until 88

Yes but Marciano is an absolute meme just like pele
People who bring him up in goat discussions are fb casual types

goat discussions are by definition for casual types. no one who's into any sport seriously can agree to the concept of there being a "goat".

That's a fair point but everyone likes to discuss the cream of the crop and Marciano doesn't belong in any top 10 list

Oh I disagree my guy, why don't you think he's the GOAT?

there are better fighters than him.

Is there a historical pound for pound ranking list by a reputable organization?

His competition is not worthy of placing him anywhere near top 10
I rate Lennox Lewis higher than marciano

Joe Louis, Archie Moore and Ez Charles. That's more competition than Mayweather.

>can't tell the difference between Lopez and Chavez even with the assistance of the filename

marciano is forever associated with the mafia. all his fights are susect

Right sorry... well Chavez does beat the 50-0 record.

Sugar Ray Robinson is generally regarded as the best pound for pound fighter by pundits

No lol and I could've fought that old Joe Lewis and won. I don't like mayweather but marciano fags are 10x worse desu

After a head clash left the fighters unable to continue. He then went on to win the rematch.

>You can't be GOAT without losses.

He lost the ability to read

>believing nigger propaganda

the reason his comp. looked like shit was because he beat them all

>means shit when you compare it to Rocky Marciano's

thank you OP, I was waiting for this thread

He had a hundred+ fight win streak against HOFs and his first steak was 40-1 beaten by a game Raging Bull (first ballot HOF).

No duh.

Marciano benefited from an era directly after loads of potential boxers got sent off to be killed in World War II. His best wins were against old men like Joe Louis, Joe Walcott and Archie Moore.

I see what portubro is saying. There is something magical about watching a fighter truly test himself, come up short, then get back at it. This is the foundation of the Ali legend. It's not that he was impossible to beat, it's that he was impossible to kill.

he does actually belong to most top 10 lists

This doesn't matter, he has a draw on his record

This guy doesn't en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Julio_César_Chávez

>This guy doesn't
>Links a guy with multiple losses and draws
Considering you couldn't even tell him and Lopez apart you should probably refrain from partaking in any boxing discussion

This.
I remember in Boxing News a couple of years when Mayweather was being discussed. Out of the three discussing him, two said he was GOAT and the other one said he would be lucky if he's considered top 25 in the future, purely because of the fact he's never been beaten. His reasoning was that a boxer who's never been beaten in his career, and fought in five different weight classes, has either, fought during a weak as fuck era (which is next to impossible given the different weight classes he's been in and the length of time he was fighting) or, much more likely, he's ducked fights to keep his record intact.
Personally I believe he's correct.

I think mayweather is GOAT in his own way because of perfecting a style that minimized long term damage and they way he was able to control the bulk of the money for his fights. Most fighters were just animals on a leash, he was able to be his own man in the sport which is noteworthy in of itself.

That was indeed my point, thank you.

Marciano's record is like 5-0 when you remove all the megacans. Mayweather's is like 9-0. Mayweather is far more impressive.

Mayweather is like a scientific study of what a boxer should be. Born and bred to be a boxer, knows all the ins and outs, analyses the game through statistics. To be honest, it's boring as hell.

If being the GOAT at something is being a glorified sleeping pill, then I guess he's free to be te GOAT all he wants.

thank you based britbong

literally this. there's a reason floyd isn't a fan favorite. anytime floyd is in a potentially unfavorable position, he ties up or turns his body to make punches illegal. half of his defense is reliant on ref/rules intervention. is it legal? sure. but there's something very cheap and unsportsmanlike about it.

kys greaseball guido

>there's a reason floyd isn't a fan favorite
He's the literal PPV king.

Floyd is nothing but a runner and a hugger!!111!!
>t. Casual whose first boxing match was Mayweather vs Pacquiao and and has never watched Pretty Boy Floyd

youtube.com/watch?v=HhIB8be86w4

Mayweather has a better resume than Marciano honestly. Sure Marciano retired unbeaten but he's not even close to the best heavyweight, he's not even top 5.

I don't see how those two things correlate

You're implying no one likes him, yet he continually breaks revenue records.
Do you know why? It's because his detractors are more vocal on the internet than his fans.
Any one who is a real boxing fan and not a casual schmuck (like you) is a fan of floyd. It is why people pay to see him fight.

>Archie Moore
oh please. archie's second half of his career was better than the first half. he was on a 21 fight winning streak after getting beat by marciano and won 10 fights after that before getting beat by patterson

People pay to see him lose.

Check out a site called Reddit. You should fit in there quite nicely.

I been watching him since wayyy before Canelo and he lost the first match. Proving my point here and here

Bingo. Mayweather is the Dallas Cowboys of boxing. His PPV fights sold big because people were hoping to see him get his ass kicked.

Floyd is far and away the biggest superstar of his era as well as the greatest fighter of his era. Look at how nobody gives a shit about Pac since Floyd schooled him, he can't draw flies to shit anymore.

This.
He's the GOAT defensive boxer

Lmaoo. Fuck off back to /asp/ sweetie. You don't know shit about boxing.

I would be shocked if all these fights weren't rigged by the mafia

Except every casual in the world has heard of Muhammad Ali, 40 years later. Most haven't ever heard of Mayweather even though he's contemporary to them.

Textbook fish outta water syndrome

This is a salty mcgregor fan

>whitebois put all their cards on mcmemer
>he loses
>jump onto a past white fighter to feel better

yikes

See

Floyd had a gold medal stolen from him by corrupt Olympic judges, he used that motivation to go undefeated as a pro. Yes he ducked Manny in 09 and might have lost but we'll never know

Not really, I'm just looking at undefeated boxers. Joe Calzaghe is a recent undefeated White boxers with a better record than Maywedder's.

>Look at the score cards for his matches against De La Hoya, Pacquiao and McGregor
>McGregor

Oh wow lmao dumb casual.

He lost the first match? If you're referring to my gif then you have Corrales confused with Castillo. And yeah, their first fight was definitely close. Could have went either way. Their second fight was slightly clearer for Mayweather, though, IMO.

Also, this is absolute bollocks. You're unironically trying to say an Italian-American was looked upon less favourably than an African-American? I'm not even gonna respond to the affirmative action bs.

>Mayweather was the first American boxer who made the American public give a shit about non-heavyweight boxing

How is his record better?

>(we can't count Conor as a legit fight)
>Look at the score cards for his matches against De La Hoya, Pacquiao and McGregor
>McGregor
You had me on your side until this you dumb bong.

I know of Marciano and how respected he and his accomplishments are and when I saw the post fight in-ring interview, Floyd was being pressed VERY hard to talk about going 50-0 with Marciano being mentioned to the point of being uncomfortable because Mayweather was trying to pivot away from that discussion, he knows that fight with Conor was just a sanctioned show match he's a business man who made a good decision and make 9 figures from that decision the Conor fight should be an asterisk in his pro record considering that no-one in their right mind would sanction a 49-0 fighter vs a debut fighter lest there be a butt load of cash involved for all sides

>tl;dr you are a pound for pound greatest ever faggot you dumb brit cunt

Okay damage control harder you casual

ITT: pressed Africans.

50-0

t. Alberto Barbosa

Floyd is far and away the most searched boxer in the world. Are you trying to argue otherwise?

>Most haven't ever heard of Mayweather
The fallout butthurt for this is amazing.

Of course. Mayweather is probably more popular than Ali in the same way Kim Kardashian is more popular than Cleopatra. Searches on the internet only tell you about the present time, not about all-time popularity.

But go on thinking Hamilton is more famous and celebrated than Senna.

You presume too much.
I happen to think McGregor is even more of a clown than Mayweather.

>Most people haven't heard of the biggest draw in boxing history

Hmmmm

One judge literally thought Mayweather won every round, even though Mayweather admitting to giving Conor the first half of the fight.

Everything is "the biggest" or "the most" if you pick 2017 and compare it to the past, you dumb Makelele. We also have the biggest population in the world, and the most people with internet access ever.

Sharapova is also the biggest women's tennis draw in the history of tennis. Apparently that makes her better than Steffi Graf and Martina Navratilova.

>American education + African genes

Sharapova is a big draw because she's blonde, tall and beautiful.

I don't know shit about tennis but I tune in to watch her ass jiggle on the court.

Are you legit dumb?

Great argument.

Its kind of silly to talk about the lasting appeal of an athlete whose career just ended.

Well it's kind of hard to have an actual argument with someone as dumb as you.

>Most people haven't heard of Floyd
>Well that's simply not true he's the biggest draw ever
>y-yeah that's cause it's current year

Objectively speaking a lot of people know who he is. Objectively speaking, people who follow boxing as hardcore fans know who he is, so what are you even saying? All this is just posturing and trying to leak your wounds cause he came out victorious saturday.

No $hit idiot. Objectively speaking someonew ho follows hockey knows who Gretzky is, ro someone who follows the NFL knows who Vick is. The point he's trying to make is that Ali is more popular and the biggest icon of boxing. Who do you think is more well-known, Jordan or Curry?

>70% ko victories at featherweight (wladimir's is 77% for comparison)
>walked down almost every welterweight he faced
>consistently made "the real fighters" trigger shy with just a couple of counters
>consistently put himself against the ropes and gave "the aggressors" more chances to hit him than most meatheads
>2009 manny was an even more primitive boxer than 2015 manny plus the implication of this argument is that floyd beat de la hoya, hatton, mosley, ortiz, cotto, guerrero, canelo years before his own prime and/or the has the longest prime ever and/or he's such a good boxer that he has transcended the idea of the prime
>manny's final numbers are on par with baldomir and marquez - floyd's two worst mismatches

>Ali is more popular and the biggest icon of boxing.
Yeah but what does this have to do with anything other than just trying to hide how butthurt you are that he won?

Mayweather's a great fighter and I don't agree with people who say he's 'killed boxing' just because of his style, just explaining shit to u

6ft 2/1.88M goddess

BASED. Well said.

No. The argument being presented by Joao wasn't who is more popular, it was flat-out saying most people don't know who Floyd is.

It's like saying most people don't know who Messi is. Then backtracking about it.

GOAT coming through

62-3 (52 KOs)

>loss 1 comes after fighting on two week notice. busted the guy up two more times
>loss 2-3 come from controversial decisions

Welterweight boxing is a joke. You'd honestly be better off going down to whatever pubcrawl there is in your town/city and watch two drunks fight.

It'll be a hell of alot more entertaining.