/prod/ - Music Production General

Ugh, wavey, baby, yeah Edition

GIVE feedback and RECEIVE feedback. Upload WIPs on clyp.it/

Previous thread: >ATTENTION!
DON'T post Soundcloud, YouTube, or any other links where you are not anonymous (unless somebody asks you for it). That's considered self promotion and will result in bad feedback.

>RESOURCES:

Sound Design:
>SeamlessR (in-depth music production and sound design tutorials, based on FL Studio)
youtube.com/user/SeamlessR

>Rocket Powered Sound (Constant quality uploads of various EDM sounds in Serum with explanations that help make something unique)
youtube.com/channel/UCFReVt5TAC1zGnuNkgHw-fg

>Syntorial (widely considered the best place to go to learn synthesis)
syntorial.com/

>Mr. Bill (Ableton based, some of the best sound design tutorials on the planet. Aimed more towards IDM-type stuff. He also posts his music here)
youtube.com/user/MrBillsTunes

>BusyWorksBeats (explains hip hop in very elaborate ways in FL Studio)
youtube.com/user/busyworksbeats

>Sadowick (explains old school electronic music in very elaborate ways in Ableton)
youtube.com/user/SadowickProduction

>ADSR Music Production Tutorials
youtube.com/channel/UCf5UKh_cj2_5pUomhyswWYQ

MIXING:

>Point Blank Music School
youtube.com/channel/UCIWNozFjO8yVdJFsGKVmPgg

>Pensado's Place
youtube.com/user/PensadosPlace

>Samori Coles (Compression, EQ, etc)
youtube.com/user/homestudiotutor/videos

>Modern Mixing
youtube.com/user/ModernMixing/videos

FL STUDIO:

>WarBeats (Getting comfortable in FL Studio)
youtube.com/user/nfxbeats/videos

>Image Line Tutorials
youtube.com/user/imageline/playlists

WRITING:

>12tone
youtube.com/channel/UCTUtqcDkzw7bisadh6AOx5w/playlists

>Micheal New
youtube.com/user/Rhaptapsody/playlists

---
faggotry - Now with less autistic admins
discord.me/prodthread

Other urls found in this thread:

clyp.it/qabuc4zz
clyp.it/p0lizzyz
clyp.it/dcx422kn?token=d344124312e5e69a8a5affdbaf958887
youtube.com/watch?v=9KIvnLBF7vU
clyp.it/h5fpavy4
youtube.com/watch?v=JO55uN1qvP0
youtube.com/watch?v=NJR8Inf77Ac
clyp.it/msxrqvxm
clyp.it/pipjjpx5
clyp.it/rroopwp2
soundcloud.com/itsaghostball
soundcloud.com/kindsoflight/sundrops
rbt.asia/mu/thread/75693039/#75694532
youtube.com/playlist?list=PLa9ASr8n5idArGa1uaBExM-lI-nO1P959
www113.zippyshare.com/v/pMzUwLHG/file.html
youtube.com/watch?v=FbgvlkizLrQ
youtube.com/watch?v=EJDubJXQDc8
youtube.com/watch?v=6Sxf_DQ1Gls
youtube.com/watch?v=P5Jo3KQSEXY
clyp.it/dgyu5o2c
youtube.com/watch?v=ixF5f2cqIKo
youtube.com/watch?v=ggcjRfI-TLY
youtube.com/watch?v=dbbtmskCRUY
youtube.com/watch?v=djZQsdCqj5U
maxforlive.com/library/device/4546/px-18-32step-edit
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

>op actually linked to previous thread

Oh boy this is destined to be a good thread

anybody have the full kb6.de library for download.

pleaaaaaaase

i'm pretty sure all of those samples are on that discord somewhere

and like literally everywhere

also honestly most of them suck

I'm going to tell you guys my faggy life story real quick, and then ask for a recommendation.

>Started an independent record label
>Recently started working with a local rapper that I greatly respect
>Have made some beats with my computer, but would like to have something for performances
>Goal is to some day play SXSW and be on stage together
>mfw bitches throw they panties at us

What kind of gear do you guys recommend for a solid live performance? I really don't want to just be some dick-whistle who presses play on a laptop and bobs his head like a chicken.

>Something with an in-built sequencer
>Should have ability to load custom samples
>Recommended synths and things like that

I had looked at getting a Korg SQ-1 and doing things that way. Is that retarded?

>Hip-Hop
>Live but sequenced
>Is that retarded?
yes

You should learn what you're doing before you think about performing something you haven't even done yet honestly

how early can i expect ableton 10 to be cracked?

as soon as 11 rolls around

clyp.it/qabuc4zz

I know you guys hate trap beats but any crituiqes? Kinda sounds like a mykki blanco instrumental

you're going to be a dick-whistle either way t b h

but if you really want hardware to replay your laptop beats, check out something like an MPC, Elektron Octatrack, or Korg Electribe.

Will you help me out? Like, I get what you're saying, that I might as well be just pressing play if it's sequenced, but I'm just one dude and his rapping amigo.

What do you recommend?

it took about 6 months for 9

I may be a dick-whistle, but thanks to you, I have a lead for where to go from here. I'm looking at both the Octatrack and the Digitakt. Thanks a bunch for taking the time to help me out, user!

How old are your headphones?

what makes you decide to get another pair?

About 5 years, HD598 has been a good investment and don't really have a reason to upgrade. Good for comparison speaker/headphones mixing. Only reason for me to upgrade is if it breaks.

oh thanks. and holy shit.

my friend's been asking me to make a song where he can sing. wanted to make something lighthearted and fun.

any ideas how I could improve this? i'm making completely new drums tomorrow. wondering about the mix, as i haven't really touched anything this big and poppy before.

adding the vocals tomorrow.

clyp.it/p0lizzyz

AUTECHRE-CORE Experimental Techno etc
been a minute since I posted to get torn apart so have at it

likes dislikes any ideas much appreciated

clyp.it/dcx422kn?token=d344124312e5e69a8a5affdbaf958887
it starts to pick up around 2:30 if you're inpatient

youtube.com/watch?v=9KIvnLBF7vU

not sure how relevant this is to you but maybe you will get some ideas from it

Any user able to help me find a cracked version of FL or some other major DAW?

desu i don't really go to hip-hop concerts for the reasons being discussed; it just seems like a step above karaoke to me (i love hiphop but you know what i mean)

the only act afaik who really does anything interesting with it is death grips. the two key components there are imo live drumming (maybe go dj shadow with an mpc there idk), and the live manipulation of the vocals, i think through an sp-404, but i'm sure there are other dj-ish hardware things to check out like maybe traktor..? i'm not into hardware really.

it really depends on the music honestly, just make sure there's room to improvise and add to it

I want to record analogue stuff into a simple interface like audacity. From what I've been reading though, this requires a $100+ 1/4" to usb interface box. Is there a better way?
Thinkpad w/ linux btw

That's pretty cool, and it gives me some ideas for sure. Thanks for the help.

I respect the sentiment. I actually had looked at some of those sample pads that you can drum on and thought about routing them through a loop pedal or something like that. So that's a good lead to look into.

8 years. ATH M50, the coiled non detachable version.

The pads are fucking destroyed and one of the hinges have broken so it's held together by ductape. But I dont care as long as they sound good, not as I walk around with them outside or anything.

I cant be bothered to buy new ones as I would rather spend that money on better monitor speakers.

a $30 1/4" to usb?

>duck tape
>sounding good

iirc it's possible to use your laptop's microphone in port, but it'll sound a bit shit. Main reason to get an interface is because all of the ADC/DACs are designed to give you a high fidelity recording.

which one mu???

How many voicemails can that hold?

yeah because I've actually duct taped the fucking speaker elements.

I should also say that my monitors are held together with string since they fell off my desk and split, made out of a couple of pallets, but they still sound good when I play music from my old compaq computer which is powered by two rats in a hamster wheel.

No dice, been trying all day. It can detect hot plugs/unplugs, but zero signal.

I'm seeing a $30 Behringer RCA to usb. Any better ones?

If you can only get one, get the SP-404. The SP-303 is crunchy as fuck but the 404 is just more modern.

I have the m40x and I always worry about this happening the hinge feels so weak

THX 4 THE CHUCKLE user

anybody else finding chord progression theory useless in terms of creating emotional compelling music? a chord progression means almost nothing without melody, instrumentation, tempo, rhythm etc.

No and you have to be literally retarded to think that

I have a big head and I stretched them probably more than they were designed for.

ok, i just made a simple chord progressions. only block chords. tell me what you feel when you listen to them. i feel almost nothing.

clyp.it/h5fpavy4

>i feel almost nothing.
you may be autistic..?

no seriously, just because you're not good at it doesn't mean literally everybody can't. it's like you've never heard a piano ballad or an acoustic guitar before lmao

did you even read my initial post? i didn't say that chord progressions are useless. i said that they are useless WITHOUT rhythmic, melodic, instrumentation, tempo, rhythm context.
chord progression are more of a "working harmonic framework", but can't teach you to convey an emotional message.

>"working harmonic framework"
okay i can agree with that idea

you didn't express that very well, "chord progression theory" is not useless

are you autistic

Oh man, I like this, what chord progression is it?

Am7
Cmaj7 C7
Fmaj7
Bm7 E7

i'm not autistic, but learning harmony theory doesn't make you able to create a song like that
youtube.com/watch?v=JO55uN1qvP0

or something like that
youtube.com/watch?v=NJR8Inf77Ac

Literally just go to the pirate bay you fucking dick-goblin

it helps dumbfuck
music theory is a descriptive subject

WHAT ARE THE COOLEST REAKTOR INSTRUMENTS IN THE USER LIBRARY?

your brain

I need help,what's the most similar VST to a Microkorg?

pretty much any va is going to be able to copy microkorg sounds lol

sylenth1

I'm worried about using a sound that I can't replicate on a live setting in the future.
I will check Sylenth1,thanks user.

>i made it
>but i cant make it

what am i doing wrong??

clyp.it/msxrqvxm

too much variety

oh :(

huh? i think that guy was talking to me so you don't have to be sad

I am you, user. We are sad.

yeah. I thought the track was cool. I actually thought it had too little variety since it was mostly a repetitive loop. I guess that just goes to show how little we know about music. :(

I was just joking about the "too much variety" thing. The repetition made it kinda hypnotizing.

yw

What you guys think of this so far? Mixing is rough cause I just started but I'm really feeling the vibe of this

clyp.it/pipjjpx5

808 needs more sustain imo
that whirring kind of quiet sound seems like it's got distortion on there or something and doesn't need it

I mostly work in REAPER, but I wanted to try out the new Ableton 10 so I started working on this idea for a JRPG-esque battle theme about an hour or two ago. Sorry if it sounds really rough; the strings are from Komplete Elements so I'll probably download Ableton's own string library later and see how that works out.

clyp.it/rroopwp2

soundcloud.com/itsaghostball

lookin for soundcloud buds to build a lil bit of community on my sc. message me on there or instagram if ur interested in collabs & bullshit

General rule: Every element is important for creating compelling music. Especially the chord progression

>DIY Psychedelic Rock/Pop

I recorded an EP with a mate in an industrial unit on a shoestring budget so it's not as polished as it could be.

Looking for any critiques about the production/mixing cos I did it myself and wanna know where I could improve.

soundcloud.com/kindsoflight/sundrops

SP-404

Gn /prod/ don't die (:

Absolute newbie here. Any general tips to start making some beats in the line of trap/house/techno influences?

Think Vaperror, Blank Banshee, Lone, Daisuke Tanabe, Yaeji, Flying Lotus, Palms Trax.

I don't know what DAW to pick (FL Studio, Reaper, Ableton....) or what to start tinkering with on those.

>DAW
doesn't matter that much at the beginning. you can always change DAWs if you discover that the DAW you're using is missing an important functionality that you want. just... make sure it's a DAW, not basic audio editing software like Sound Forge/Audacity, and you're good (for 'beats' music)

>Reaper
good if you like free stuff
>FL Studio
good if you can withstand the clutter
>Ableton
good if you like minimalism

you can start by deconstructing (recreating) tracks that you like. also search for tutorials for stuff that you're interested in

Get Ableton.
It's arguably the most powerful (meaning that if it's not the most powerful, it's tied with others), most flexible, has the most tutorials (I myself switched from FL because almost every tutorial was for Ableton, although now te situation is much better), and the largest number of producers in electronica (basically everyone is switching to it), so if you want to collaborate in the future, you'll likely find them using Ableton.
On top of regular plugins, it has its own add-on system called Max For Live, which allows anyone to make perfectly integrated plugins for it to add functionality (there are thousands downloadable on maxforlive.com, almost all for free).

And it's extremely easy to pirate.

Seems like a no-brainer to me.

Here:
rbt.asia/mu/thread/75693039/#75694532

Then start with this tutorial:
youtube.com/playlist?list=PLa9ASr8n5idArGa1uaBExM-lI-nO1P959

Well, this was surprisingly nice. I've tried checking out Ableton before (4 years ago) but got a bit overwhelmed. Will try again. Thank you.

Also, my biggest flaw is lack of knowledge in music theory. I can make a beat, but melody is still tought as fuck for me. That world is a complete mistery in my eyes.

www113.zippyshare.com/v/pMzUwLHG/file.html

Start with Dance Music Manual (3rd edition), which should give you an overview of all aspects of music production (including theory), so you have a solid foundation, which is the most basic requirement for making music that doesn't suck.
After that go with Music Theory for Computer Musicians.

Also, regardless of your technical knowledge, to make good melodies you have to "feel" them, because if you try to engineer them with math they'll likely going to sound bad.
So if you play an instrument, fiddle around with it until you come up with something cool.
If you don't, try humming or whistling them.
If you go through your day humming songs (even in your head) and try to add variations to them, once in a while you'll strike a creative vein that will result in a cool melodic idea. Record it, and put it in a folder with all your other ideas.
Now when you want to make a song and feel uninspired, you'll have your personal stash of melodies ready.

its quite nice i feel sadness melancholy an apologetic vibe like you both fucked up and now youre looking back on it and wondering where it all went wrong while remembering the good times sum like that

Chords can create emotional and compelling music all on their own, you just have to use them well. Inversions, suspensions, 7ths, augmented 6ths and secondary dominants help with this.
You need to think about dissonance and tension and release.

I would say that harmony is the most important aspect with regards to emotional impact.

This for example:
youtube.com/watch?v=FbgvlkizLrQ

Is full of emotional impact and is mostly chords. There is a melody but often if devolves into chord tones. The suspensions are very effective in this piece.

>being a beatmaker in 2017

>808

perfect digits for that topic

not sure what's wrong with me, but i don't feel much when i listen to classical music. it sounds "in order" and well-crafted, but it doesn't trigger emotions inside of me. classical african music on the contrary is almost exclusively rhythmic with percussions. it's like harmony comes from the brain and rhythm comes from the body.

i have an example where i feel something:
youtube.com/watch?v=EJDubJXQDc8

maybe it's because this was my first mmorpg in 2006. but this triggers something inside of me. it must be something personal. music is always talked about as an objective subject. "this chord sounds sad, this chord sounds happy, this scale sounds like that and that." but when i play them all i hear is "this chord, this scale with this tones", but i don't feel a corresponding emotion.

this means as a music producer you have to either make music that you can't feel (because you can't relate to it, but other might be able to) - but this seems kinda like something only a psychopath could do, because he only wants to make money

what do you do as a music producer if you can't emotionally relate to any music? is this because i'm really autistic or is it because i lack relation? because i can't relate the music to anything.

not sure why you people immediately call me names, when all i want is to discuss something that i experience personally. but there are these rare moments (when i thought i couldn't feel anything listening to music) but then a song pops up that suddenly makes me experience a strong feeling and almost makes me cry. (so actually i'm still capable to feel emotions from music, but it's just that most music doesn't cause an emotional response inside of me).

e.g. this triggers me everytime (title is "outside is freedom"):
youtube.com/watch?v=6Sxf_DQ1Gls

when i was a teen i listened to a gigantic amount of music and cried very often. i was kinda over-emotional. but now i feel like i've heard it all.

push 2
You could trigger everything with that and has a touch strip for crossfading

melody is about rhythm

lol its probably the most important tool in creating a song like that (which ripped off this and others)

youtube.com/watch?v=P5Jo3KQSEXY

so I want to make sadboy esq music, thinking nothing nowhere & lil peep, not lil xan and lil pump - I want to use it as a way to vent, I also want to learn an instrument, I was thinking get a midi keyboard with beatpads then buy FL studio but not sure how well it runs on linux under wine, what resources should I look at to get started?

ardour bitwig and lmms will run on Linux

>volca isn't recieving midi
uhhhh did I fucking break something? I restarted Ableton, checked everything is activated, I don't understand. God dammit

which out of them two has the easiest learning curve?

I need the most brutal criticism you can come up with. Just nitpick as much as you possibly can, but do me one single solid: go into at least some detail about it.
This beat is boring me to death and I need to throw a pound of chilli powder into the mix.
JUST FUCK MY SHIT UP YA HEAR ME?

clyp.it/dgyu5o2c

I don't know I barely used any of them before but looking on tutorials bitwig seems to have the most

thanks mate

have you tried listening to early 20th century classical? they're much more experimental with their harmonies and the popularity of symphonic poems (the most expressive and emotional format imho) skyrocketed during that era. they're very comparable to modern day fantasy soundtracks
Arnold Bax - Tintagel: youtube.com/watch?v=ixF5f2cqIKo
Arnold Bax - Spring Fire: youtube.com/watch?v=ggcjRfI-TLY
Rachmaninoff - Isle of the Dead: youtube.com/watch?v=dbbtmskCRUY
Eugene Goossens - The Eternal Rhythm: youtube.com/watch?v=djZQsdCqj5U

I'm still trying to discover more music like the above, can you recommend anything?

i like to pretend my synths are like a band
i got a drummer, a bassist, a rhythm player, and a lead guy
lay out a simple track and then remix it like i'm a dj

just thought i'd share my autism

just imagine if we had game developers in this era of art. sadly video games popped up in an era of cultural decline.

dj condor here, i just finished to modify px18 sequenzer for max4live by roberto henke.
hope you enjoy programming next level sequenz with it.
could be buggy (((u are warned)))
cheers, dj condor

maxforlive.com/library/device/4546/px-18-32step-edit

hey, i make hip hop beats and therefore never got what sequences are good for. is it more suited for film music or edm? in hip hop i'm more in need of a chord progression and melody. can you give me examples of exceptionally well done sequences?

you're limiting yourself more than you know

i'm havin a think over this comment