Where do I start with Zappa Sup Forums?

Where do I start with Zappa Sup Forums?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/2uEijJoiZbU
rollingstone.com/music/news/frank-zappa-hologram-former-mothers-announce-tour-w516378
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Thought this was pretty good when I first heard it.

youtu.be/2uEijJoiZbU

I started with The Best Band You Never Heard In Your Life back in 1992.. But you must start with Freak Out, you stupid fuck.

this made me laugh, thanks for the recs

its best to go in chronological order but if youre just looking to get the best of the best id say

freak out
absolutely free
we're only in it for the money
hot rats
apostrophe
bongo fury
sheik yerbouti

thank you friend

As others have said, chronological order is highly recommended
However, if you're short on time, here's a quick guide: start with We're Only in It for the Money, Hot Rats, One Size Fits All, Joe's Garage, and The Yellow Shark
If you don't like any of them, Zappa just ain't for you
However, if you like WOIIFTM, listen to the original Mothers of Invention stuff ('66-'70)
If you like Hot Rats, check his fusion stuff (Waka/Jawaka, The Grand Wazoo, Sleep Dirt, Make a Jazz Noise Here) then move on to Uncle Meat, Burnt Weeny Sandwich, Shut Up 'n Play Yer Guitar, and Guitar
If you like One Size Fits All, listen to the Roxy period ('73-'78) and the You Can't Do That on Stage Anymore series for Zappa at his proggiest
If you like Joe's Garage, listen to the early Mothers stuff ('66-'68), the Flo & Eddie stuff ('70-'72), and his early 80s material (You Are What You Is, Drowning Witch, Man from Utopia, Them or Us, Thing-Fish)
If you like The Yellow Shark, go straight to his classical/Synclavier work (The Perfect Stranger, London Symphony Orchestra, Francesco Zappa, Jazz from Hell, Civilization Phaze III)
If you like all 5, it's time to begin the full chronological journey

over-nite sensation is a great album and very accessible

Freak Out, We're Only In It For the Money, and Hot Rats are good starting points.

I hate all of them and I love Lumpy Gravy

thoughts?

rollingstone.com/music/news/frank-zappa-hologram-former-mothers-announce-tour-w516378

You like Lumpy Gravy but not We're Only in It for the Money? Zappa said those were designed to be a unified project

entry level songs:
dinah moe humm
montana

albums:
Hot Rats
Freak Out

Roxy and Elsewhere was the first Zappa album that blew me away on the first listen. It's a great introduction, I think

I'd add The Grand Wazoo, One Size Fits All, and Zappa in New York to that, then you should be good

>entry level songs
>both off of Overnite Sensation
>Overnite Sensation isn't an entry level album
the actual fuck

that's a fucking great live album, though

it's better when you know the originals

His versions of Ring of Fire and Stairway to Heaven are great.

Just finished listening to The Roxy Performances, the sonic equivalent of getting beaten off then cuming inside your dream woman. But I'd say these guys have good lists (minus Bongo Fury) (), ().
This guy is being autistic, once you check out the albums listed in the other two links then you can explore for yourself. But stick to
>Freak out
>we're only in it for the money
>hot rats
>overnite sensation
>apostrophe
and
>sheik yerbouti
for now

>Nigger
>getting beaten off then cuming
>autistic
Is this your average Zappafan?

>sex bothers me because I'm a virgin
>I've never gotten pussy so I don't know what voodoo butter is
Fuck off perma virgin

just listened to my first Zappa album today, Joe's Garage. Pretty funny and really creative.

big fight between Ahmet and Dweezil over control of the FZ catalogue, Dweezil was touring and now the "family trust" (Ahmet) is putting out the hologram

I say start with Hot Rats any way you look at it. Good chart.

I've seen Dweezil's show three times now - he did Roxy and Elsewhere justice - and it wouldn't be a Zappa show without audience interaction. A hologram, regardless of the backing band, wouldn't live up to it.

On top of holograms being actual capitalist necromancy.

Ignore every attempt at jazz and classical he made; he was always just a two-bit version of the artists he emulated in those fields.

However, when he’s making crazy rock music like Uncle Meat, Weasels Ripped My Flesh, Burnt Weeney Sandwich, it’s effortlessly brilliant

Thoughts on The Roxy Performance boxset
>avoid all atempts at Jazz
t thinks fusion is jazz
Brainlet.jpeg