Study: Swedish-speaking Finns commit less crime than Finnish counterparts

A fresh study about Finnish crime rates reveals that Swedish-speaking Finns commit less crime than their Finnish-speaking counterparts, but at this point the reasons why are purely speculative.

A study of crime in Finland indicates that Swedish speakers commit fewer crimes than Finnish speakers in Finland.

The study found that while 86 percent of criminal cases in the northwestern Ostrobothnia region's district court involve Finnish-speaking defendants, the vast majority of the region's population speaks Swedish.

In the year 2014 there were more than 9,500 criminal complaints filed in Ostrobothnia, half of which were made in the west coast city of Vaasa which is nearly 70 percent Finnish-speaking.

The region of Ostrobothnia, which is overwhelmingly Swedish speaking, includes only three municipalities where Swedish is not the majority language.

yle.fi/uutiset/study_swedish-speaking_finns_commit_less_crime_than_finnish_counterparts/8652995

Finland is officially a bilingual country, with Finnish being spoken by about 94 percent of the population and Swedish spoken by about 5 percent of the population. However, in Ostrobothnia the Swedish-speakers are in the clear majority, with some municipalities in the region - like Pedersöre and Korsnäs - being around 90 percent Swedish-speaking.

Roughly twice as many criminal complaints in Ostrobothnia were made in the Finnish-language majority municipalities of Laihela and Isokyrö than in Swedish-speaking municipalities.

The Planning Officer at the University of Helsinki's Institute of Criminology and Legal Policy, Petri Danielsson says there aren't any scientific reasons why, there are only theories at this stage.

"Swedish speakers commit less crime than Finnish speakers," Danielsson says.

"They can't be explained using age demographics, socio-economic or regional factors," he says.

The study examined violent crimes, robberies and property crimes.

Ostrobothnia Police Chief Risto Lammi said he wouldn't dare to guess the reasons behind the statistics.

Former Deputy Police Chief Matts Kronqvist told Yle that he's also mulled the reasons why, but said he could not come up with an answer.

"I have no explanation," Kronqvist says.

"Other explanations have pointed to the 'Bible belt [factor],' social norms in small communities and less alcohol consumption. It's a difficult question," he says.

Hannu Niemi, Senior Planning Officer at the National Research Institute of Legal Policy says that Swedish speaking areas are small communities where values are important.

But those values could also be a hindrance to reporting crime, Niemi explains.

"There is domestic violence in Swedish-speaking families as well, but it doesn't always come out. That could result in criminality that's hidden," he says.

According to the statistics, consumption of alcohol is tied to nearly every case of violent crime.

Overall, people in Ostrobothnia drink less than six litres of alcohol per capita annually.

In the Finnish-speaking communities the average is about seven litres of alcohol per person annually, also where crime rates have been steadily rising since the turn of the millennium.

Another factor for the discrepancy could be that unemployment in the Swedish-speaking majority communities is about half that of their Finnish-speaking counterparts.

However, Dan Frände, a law science professor at the University of Helsinki said the statistics could simply be due to Swedish-speaking people switching over to speaking Finnish when confronted by law enforcement.

I love Finns. My sister is married to a Finnish guy.

Maybe because they're all filthy rich, upper-class as fuck.

t. Swedish-speaking Finn

Finns are pretty great, but you can't beat nordic genes for manners.

>"They can't be explained using age demographics, socio-economic or regional factors," he says.
>socio-economic
Nope

Junkkari's vs bunch of girly svennes. Gee, I wonder which ones do the crimes.

Why not?

Ahh, it's not like it matters for long! Soon the comparison will be quite skewed as Swedes start complaining that none of the Swedish-speaking Finns reflect the modern Swedes of today!

And Finns dare to complain about immigrants. Swedish Finns should kick out Finnish Finns.

You'll be beheaded or kicked out of Germanistan way before anyone will even think of kicking Finns out of Finland.

>Sources: Yle

need mo moneys for dem programs findu nuffin

Tackbots at speed again :D

>findu nuffin
One tired KEK

>Why not?
Because statistics don't correlate that way? Anyway I like finns despite them being statistically more violent. Lord knows we have other problems of our own.

might be true but its because they are cucks and sailor jews. if someone stands up against them they just let him rob themselves.

finn swe are also jewing the finns with forced cuck swedish studies that everyone forgets anyway after they passed the mandatory courses in education

They are like under 5% of the population so no wonder.

And also rich as fuck

Well finns are More violent and that is Evolution.
now this would be racist if I said it about niggers

So they can pay to get away with their crimes?

That's because Swede-Finns are more affluent.

Fuck off Sven. Your bull needs prepping.

Because Swedish-speaking Finns have usually more wealth in their family.
t. Finn with half of ancestry from Sweden

>mfw I'm a Swedish speaking Finn and I can't even make any new friends or meet new people because the only 3 Finnish words I understand are "kiitos", "kyllä" and "ei".

Add 'kossu' and 'perkele' to your vocab - you now speak fluent mong - finnish.

The only Finn I know here in murrica is this guy who lives in the redwood forest of northern california, who used to moonshine (and that's how he bought his land) but now he grows massive amounts of weed, and he also had to fight off a bunch of hell's angel bikers in the 80s

his son is bretty cool too, finns seem like they're down to work all day and don't care about breaks or anything, unlike their swedish counterparts

would marry a finnish girl/ 10

it's time to move on.

Flytta till Sverige? I can barely understand people from Sweden thanks to their shitty accents.

>yle
already confirmed propaganda machine

they do everything it takes to make us same as sweden of today

i will not have it

How did you end up in that situation? Did you live in an area with no Finns at all?

Also, do you ever talk with Swedish people from Sweden, and if you do, how do they respond to you? Just wondering how Swedes see you guys or what do they think about your dialect.

The Finns I have met IRL in Australia are like a weird race of fairy-elves

Fun fact: Genetic variation within Finns is, according to fixation index (FST) values, greater than anywhere else in Europe. The difference between Western & Eastern Finns is 60 on the FST scale, while the difference between France, Hungary and Germany is 10 on the FST scale. The great intra-Finnish FST distance between Western Finns and Eastern Finns supports the theorized dual origin of the Finns.

Rubenick?

I can understand Finnish fairly well, but I forgot how to speak it since I never used the language. Also I've spoken to actual Swedes from Sweden, but I can barley understand them thanks to their retarded accents.

>Just wondering how Swedes see you guys or what do they think about your dialect.
We think it sounds fucking adorable

Rest in piece. My family never spoke Swedish to me and I never learned to speak it properly. Also I never liked Swedish because I think it sounds like a fag language :---D

This is a somewhat common problem. I personally know two families where the kids are linguistic retards because they neither speak Finnish OR Swedish fluently, but both of them semi-shittily.

Also OP who cares there's only 5% of them anyway.

To all Swedish -speaking Finns: LEAVE so we can finally abolish bilinguality.

>To all Swedish -speaking Finns: LEAVE so we can finally abolish bilinguality.

Huvittaa.

Why are you so racist and genetically violent Pekka?

How many innocent people did you bash today for speaking Swedish in public?

Zero. I'm not a violent person but I get assblasted when I think about it. A 5% minority and they get to have a say in our nation.
How would you feel if you were forced to learn Japanese? And that there was a Nippon party in your government?

stab that pekka.

Seriously though why is swedish still taught in finnish schools? I can't imagine many people over here gives a shit. And it's not like we have any real leverage anyway.

Exactly.
It's brought up in politics every now and then and the answer is always some bullshit circular logic "we can't abolish it because Finland is a bilingual country! :^)"

Or the classic "heritage and tradition" excuse.

Nice dubs though

The Swedish-speaking minority keeps voting for the RKP party which is dedicated for pushing their interests. They were the ones who originally coerced the other parties into making it obligatory to teach Swedish in schools. They're not a big party, but they've been part of each government between 1979-2015. Usually they make these deals that they agree to whatever the bigger parties are doing as long as they also get in return what they want.

There are a lot Finns who get aggressive if you speak Swedish in public. I've gotten into 2 fights thanks to me being a Swedish speaking Finn.