I was born in 1995 and just watched pic related

I was born in 1995 and just watched pic related.

Why is it rated so highly? I thought it was a solid 8/10 all up until he actually met the colonel, then the movie falls to pieces. Great plot with a good build up with a shitty climax. Overall I'd give it a 5/10.

Is the problem a generational gap? Would I have liked the ending if I were born 20 years earlier? Was the vietnam war really that big of a shitshow?

What do you fags think?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=mPPGMNOLaMw
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

How does it fall to pieces?

The photojournalist makes him sound like a god, the reports make him sound like a god, even to the point of behaving like a god worshiped by the vietnamese, but when Willlard speaks to him he says maybe ten sentences and none of what he says is life changing or manipulative as you would have expected him to spin Willard.

With so much conflict before this point I was expecting sustenance, but the last few scenes are lifeless and leave me wondering why.

They think he's a god because they've all lost their minds deep in the jungle

>but the last few scenes are lifeless and leave me wondering why.

Marlon Brando was an overweight hack by the late 70s. Don't be ashamed.

As for the film it has no basis in reality. In fact, I'd rather see an adaption set in South Africa like the novel.

sounds like it wasn't EPIC enough for you
maybe you should just keep playing videogames

read the book, it addresses this issue in more detail

> everyone treats him like a god but he isn't

that's sort of the point. We don't encounter Kurz or hear him talking for the first few hours (just like the first two thirds of the novel), all we get is hearsay that inject the idea of this great man into our minds. When we finally meet him, though, not only are we confronted with the fact that his legend is entirely based on savagery and barbarism, the jungle has also practically consumed him and left him a dying husk of a man, wailing over the brutality he has committed to establish and preserve his legend.

>"We train young men to drop fire on people... but their commanders won't let them write the word "Fuck" on their aeroplanes because... it's obscene."

My dad is a Vietnam vet, he spent three years there and came home early with a bronze star, a purple heart, and 100% disability. He likes to watch Vietnam movies, I think he finds them therapeutic somehow, with his favorite being Platoon.

Apocalypse Now is the only one he won't watch. It seems to make him very uncomfortable. I have no idea why, and frankly I'm not going to push the issue. All he'll tell me is "it freaks me out."

He must see something in that movie I don't.

I was born earlier than you and thought it was amazing, so that's probably not the issue here

Your opinion amounts to vapid noise and I should've stopped reading at I was born in 1995 because I knew then if you weren't a troll you're a affirmation seeking cunt.

You entirely missed the point of the movie and now you're ashore, stranding trying to save face.

signed born in 1992.

The opening scene of the helicopters transitioning into the ceiling fan with Sheen staring up at it and realizing where he's at is kino as fuck. The whole movie is a masterpiece. You just need to watch it more.

My thoughts exactly when I read the OP

t. also born in 1992

>it's another episode of kid seeking validation on Sup Forums

mfw born 91
u niggas better call me senpai :^)

My thoughts exactly when I read the OP
t. also born in 1992

Yeah but what month of '91?

Will you take an oppa?

april

>males calling each other oppa
..unless

you're just a pleb.
sorry

>april

April fools

I was born in 1985 and any man who says this is one his favorite movies deserves a drink out of my canteen any day.

Chaos, he sees chaos, the truth of war

You are waaay to simple minded (retarded) to be 21 years old. How could you misst the point this badly? Apocalypse Now is not even a particularly hard or obscure film. Apply yourself, read a fucking book for once, watch more films.

Toward the end of the film, we see Kurtz reading "The Golden Bough" which is a famous anthropology book about ritual human sacrifice. Kurtz is under guard by an Asian female, signifying that he is in a matrilineal society and that he is the meat. The climax cross-cuts with the ritual sacrifice of a bull and the ritual sacrifice of Kurtz. Willard discovers that the tribe regards his killing of Kurtz as the ritual killing of the god, and now Willard must be regarded as the new god.

Imagine Willy Wonka as Kurtz, and the little kid as Willard. Except at the end, the kid kills Wonka, and the Oompa-Loompas now bow down before the kid.

>watching cinema for le plot
This only works for movies that are made for entertainment purposes, like the capeshit you watch or Star Wars. Only then is it valid criticism, but with serious cinema you have to look past that, you have to look into character, themes, you have to dig a little more to find the good stuff and understand why certain films are considered masterpieces. You don't think Vertigo or Citizen Kane are conisdered by many to be the all time best because of how entertaining they are do you?

>I was born in 1995 and
SHUT YOUR WORTHLESS MOUTH YOU GOBSHITE.

can they not go hand in hand?

Apocalypse now is literally the best movie ever made, kys

Were you """watching""" Apocalypse Now by having it minimized in a separate tab while you shitpost on Sup Forums and reddit?

Because you completely and utterly misinterpreted the movie, dumb faggot.

Reminder that it's not a war movie

It's a psychological thriller

>Thinking a film can be 10/10 without being entertaining
10/10 means it's flawless. Not being entertaining is a flaw. QED no film can be 10/10 without being entertaining

In Platoon the protagonist comes back home. Changed, forever, but comes back.

In Apocalypse Now, the point is that nobody comes back. Everyone is lost. See in the redux the part of the French.
Il like in the comic Maus by Art Spiegelman. The point is that nobody comes back alive from Auschwitz, there are not survivors.

A big hug to you and your dad user - sincerely.

you and other dumb cunts are so quick to flex your muscles and gloat your 'patrician' status, but never post your opinion on the topic. Let me hear it.

I don't consider myself a "patrician", but if Apocalypse Now went over your head then I definitely am in comparison to you.

Did you really expect him to be a demi-god or something?

He was just a soldier that went AWOL because the war drove him mad, the natives are the ones who revere him because they were refugees from the war and he helped them.

Why would Willard drop all of his preconceived notions upon meeting Kurz?

He knew the legend but he also knew he was just a man all the same.

No survivors?

That's kind of the point, OP. He's no more than a man.

>vietnam

shitty imperialistic move based on a false flag

every american involved is literally a criminal

Always feels like an adaptation of Inferno, as well as Heart of Darkness. The further Willard/Dante travels, the darker things get, until he enters the final circle. If you read Inferno, or at least view Dore's engravings, the atmosphere the final circle is one of terror and fear. Kurtz' compund produces the same effect, the bodies, the smoke, the twisted damned souls of US, ARVN and Montagnard forces. At the centre is Kurtz/Lucifer, once one of the brightest and best, now still physically fearsome, but mentally, a husk of a man. Just my view.

Can anyone rec me some good "Going into the jungle" films?

What i mean by that is when the films progressively gets weirder and weirder and the characters often also becomes more and more mentally unstable. There is also one goal that the main character must accomplish. Like going on a journey find a place or get a thing.

Films that immediately comes to mind are Aguirre: the wrath of god and Gozu

Predator, Battle Royale, Valhalla Rising ("going into the tundra")

seen all of them. Good films

t. Bernie Sanders

when I saw apocalypse now I didn't like it it just dragged on and on and felt disjointed

That was redux though

I totally lost interest and never bothered with it again

i guess I really should sit down and watch the theatrical cut

You are faggot. Go cut yourself on that edge.

No true ones - Spiegelman's mother suicides years later, his father (BTW, the father is like the typical Sup Forums representation jew, this is even plain stated) is fucked up forever, even in small things in life.

I like to call it the "doomed riverboat expedition" genre.

It IS a descent to hell; call me crazy, but even if the premises are different, has something in common with "Jacob's Ladder". Not the mains theme, and of course J'sL is not at the level, but there's sort of a common theme of war and descent into a different world, a reality that goes to literal hell before our very eyes.
(of course the maturity of the elaboration, the themes, and what actually fucking happens diverge dramatically between the two movies).

It seems you missed the point. You expected to find some sort of silver tongued charismatic Charles Manson type guy yeah? Maybe he'd be on a throne and the savages carry him around or something? Maybe read the book, it'll help

'96 here. Second half is boring because they tried to build up mystical bs that we know isn't going to happen nor be grounded to reality in the film's context.

i think OP was just disappointed that there are movies without giant skybeams in the end

>mystical bs that we know isn't going to happen

wat

you're a small thumbnail

I also watched the redux same as you and I agree that it dragged.

Would you be able to elaborate a bit more? I've never heard an opinion of Apocalypse Now from a Vietnam vet.

fuck you

To everybody on this thread that thinks that This is a shitty boring movie, i have to say - It Is

I love this movie, it has to be with out no question one of my favorite movies, and good movies doesn't always have to be entataining all the way, - 4 me was this movie also pretty boring, but good movies doesn't have to be a fucking "The Rock" or "Paul Walker" flick every time, where there is action 24/7

>most of y'all get it when ya get older

>he says maybe ten sentences and none of what he says is life changing

On the off chance you're still ITT I would urge you to go back and give those "sentences" some more thought. He succinctly describes the moral crisis that caused the Vietnam war, and almost every military conflict between a first world power and a guerrila insurgency, to be a spectacular failure on the part of the belligerent who considers themselves "civilized."

TLDR, the army that fights without rules will triumph over the one that does. The Americans, just like the French before them, were defeated on the home front, not in the jungle.

>...it's judgement that defeats us

Jesus christ thank you.

Thank you.

kek it's literally brando rambling off script with whatever that comes to mind and them trying to edit it to something slightly coherent

there is no thought behind it

Brando was off but accidentally all Coppola did to overcome that made the movie better.

And ramblings or not, they hit home and remain actual.

thank you Cracked.com

how can you even say this is boring? There isn't a single "boring" second in this film

It's a tense build up the whole way through.

>never get off the boat- unless you plan to go all the way

what did he mean by this?

i mean - It is 3 hours and 16 minutes long, how can it not be boring some times

>idiot

>I was born in 1995

Honestly m8 if you want people to scream you're a millennial then your b8 would be more effective if you didn't include a fake year you were born right away.

the best part was when he actually did meet kurtz

what the hell is wrong with you kid?

desu redux is boring as fuck

How the hell is it possible to miss the point this completely? And no it isn't a matter of "2deep4u", the guy is not a god, but a nutcase who has gone rogue. The last scenes are lifeless because Kurtz is just a zombified husk of a man that wants to be put out of his misery.

literally tree of life in vietnam

Believe what you will man, but there's more to Brando than his eccentricities, he wasn't a fool. However unconventional their process might have been that doesn't detract from the power of the monologue. Have you watched it recently or are you just going from memory.

As much as I'd like to recommend Redux because of the scene with the French colonists, I really can't. It fucks up the pacing too much. The theatrical cut is an edge of your seat watch for me every time.

>As much as I'd like to recommend Redux because of the scene with the French colonists, I really can't. It fucks up the pacing too much. The theatrical cut is an edge of your seat watch for me every time.

I liked Redux, but is true that is tiresome to get through... but somehow, is like being on the boat. Is really immersive.

I watched it sometimes it in a dark room in high school and uni. A delirium.

Now I have no time for this shit. Is sad.

>when Willlard speaks to him he says maybe ten sentences and none of what he says is life changing or manipulative as you would have expected him to spin Willard.

But his monologue on the nature of horror is one of the best monologues in movie history you sad pleb

youtube.com/watch?v=mPPGMNOLaMw

Also, the scene is like this because Brando was at his fat chuclefuck stage (still great delivery and atmosphere, don't get me wrong).

But this makes Coppola better, because he obtained art from overcoming the difficulties. Is like the camera angles in Citizen Kane that came out of necessity.

I was born in 97 and think you're autistic, where's my fucking medal?

Now you'll have to watch Hearts of Darkness: A Filmmaker's Apocalypse kiddo.

This.

t. someone with a brain not manipulated

Anaconda

>Kids born in 1997 will be able to buy alcohol next year

It's unironically my favorite movie

Apparently this movie 'broke' Coppola (if you saw every movie he made after it with the exception maybe of the Rainmaker you'd understand).

What other movies broke their creators? I think Heaven's Gate did a number on Cimi o

>Vertigo
This meme needs to stop. Aside from the cinematography, this flick is complete shit. Hitchcock was a hack.

But Dracula, One From the Heart and Rumblefish are all good??

>born in 1995
stopped reading there

The King Of Comedy kind of broke Scorsese, as his movies were never that intimistic again.
Once Upon a Time in America broke Leone, because he died afterwards.

>set in South Africa like the novel
mfw

tfw Tarkovsky wanted to write a western for Leone to direct but both died before it happened

me too

The ending isn't really important.