Quincy Jones must be dying

Because he just went off and shit on just about everyone in some interview.

>You worked with Michael Jackson more than anyone he wasn’t related to. What’s something people don’t understand about him?
I hate to get into this publicly, but Michael stole a lot of stuff. He stole a lot of songs. [Donna Summer’s] "State of Independence" and “Billie Jean.” The notes don’t lie, man. He was as Machiavellian as they come

>What about outside of music? What’s misunderstood about Michael?
I used to kill him about the plastic surgery, man. He’d always justify it and say it was because of some disease he had. Bullshit.

>What’s something you wish you didn’t know?
Who killed Kennedy.

>Who did it?
[Chicago mobster Sam] Giancana. The connection was there between Sinatra and the Mafia and Kennedy. Joe Kennedy — he was a bad man — he came to Frank to have him talk to Giancana about getting votes.

Other urls found in this thread:

vulture.com/2018/02/quincy-jones-in-conversation.html
spin.com/2018/01/quincy-jones-interview-gq-highlights/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

>What were your first impressions of the Beatles?
That they were the worst musicians in the world. They were no-playing motherfuckers. Paul was the worst bass player I ever heard. And Ringo? Don’t even talk about it. I remember once we were in the studio with George Martin, and Ringo had taken three hours for a four-bar thing he was trying to fix on a song. He couldn’t get it. We said, “Mate, why don’t you get some lager and lime, some shepherd’s pie, and take an hour-and-a-half and relax a little bit.” So he did, and we called Ronnie Verrell, a jazz drummer. Ronnie came in for 15 minutes and tore it up. Ringo comes back and says, “George, can you play it back for me one more time?” So George did, and Ringo says, “That didn’t sound so bad.” And I said, “Yeah, motherfucker because it ain’t you.” Great guy, though.

>Are we in a better place as a country than we were when you started doing humanitarian work 50 years ago?
No. We’re the worst we’ve ever been, but that’s why we’re seeing people try and fix it. Feminism: Women are saying they’re not going to take it anymore. Racism: People are fighting it. God is pushing the bad in our face to make people fight back.

>We’ve obviously been learning more lately about just how corrosive the entertainment industry can be for women. As someone who’s worked in that business at the highest levels for so many years, do all the recent revelations come as a surprise?
No, man. Women had to put up with fucked-up shit. Women and brothers — we’re both dealing with the glass ceiling.

>If you could snap your fingers and fix one problem in the country, what would it be?
Racism. I’ve been watching it a long time — the ’30s to now. We’ve come a long way but we’ve got a long way to go. The South has always been fucked up, but you know where you stand. The racism in the North is disguised. You never know where you stand. That’s why what’s happening now is good, because people are saying they are racists who didn’t used to say it. Now we know.

>I used to kill him about the plastic surgery, man. He’d always justify it and say it was because of some disease he had. Bullshit.
Absolutely based

>What’s stirred everything up? Is it all about Trumpism?
It’s Trump and uneducated rednecks. Trump is just telling them what they want to hear. I used to hang out with him. He’s a crazy motherfucker. Limited mentally — a megalomaniac, narcissistic. I can’t stand him. I used to date Ivanka, you know.

>Wait, really?
Yes, sir. Twelve years ago. Tommy Hilfiger, who was working with my daughter Kidada. , said, “Ivanka wants to have dinner with you.” I said, “No problem. She’s a fine motherfucker.” She had the most beautiful legs I ever saw in my life. Wrong father, though.

>Is U2 still making good music?
[Shakes head.]

Nice I hope he beat it up hard.

he sounds based honestly

>A few years back there was a quote you supposedly gave — I couldn’t find the source of it, so maybe it’s apocryphal — where you dismissed rap as being a bunch of four-bar loops. Is that an opinion you stand by?

That’s true about rap, that it’s the same phrase over and over and over again. The ear has to have the melody groomed for it; you have to keep the ear candy going because the mind turns off when the music doesn’t change. Music is strange that way. You’ve got to keep the ear busy.

>When Coltrane started to go far out with the music —
“Giant Steps.”

>Even further out, though, like on Ascension —
You can’t get further out than 12-tone, and “Giant Steps” is 12-tone.

>But when he was playing atonally —
No, no, no. Even that was heavily influenced by Alban Berg — that’s as far out as you can get.

Christ, this man’s spitting napalm! What’s gotten into him?

I love Berg but he's not the most far out you can get, not at all.

link it

>What was your greatest musical innovation?
Everything I’ve done.

>Maybe not the cha-cha.
[Marlon] Brando used to go cha-cha dancing with us. He could dance his ass off. He was the most charming motherfucker you ever met. He’d fuck anything. Anything! He’d fuck a mailbox. James Baldwin. Richard Pryor. Marvin Gaye.

>He slept with them? How do you know that?
[Frowns.] Come on, man. He did not give a fuck! You like Brazilian music?

>You’re about to turn 85. Are you afraid of the end?
No.

>What do you think happens when you pass?
You’re just gone.

That's the juicy shit. Full is here

>Thought this was a joke thread with fake Quincy quotes
>Look it up and it's all real
Hot damn.

Why? Because he said something you don't agree with?
I disagree with him too, but no need to get upset boy.

>Second most amount of Grammies
>Talented jazz musician
>Went to Berklee
>Got further compositional training under Olivier Messiaen
>Made the best selling album of all time in Thriller
>This fucking interview

Genuinely one of the most based artists to ever exist.
Here you go: vulture.com/2018/02/quincy-jones-in-conversation.html

lol he really must be on his way out. He just buried pretty much everyone. He also said he has 20 young women on the go and none of them know each other.

Here we go...

Kek based

>Second most amount of Grammies
Who was the first?

BEATLEKEKS BTFO

>le ringo is le best beatle xDDD

RUINED.

kanye west

Georg Solti

>Solti was repeatedly honoured by the recording industry with awards throughout his career, including a record 31 Grammy Awards as a recording artist.

Eye opener interview desu
I still like harrison

Seems kind of based until he pulls the inevitable racism card.

>Shit talking Paul, Cindy, Beatles, Michael Jackson, ringo, U2

>then when they ask him about his friend cosby he says

>We can’t talk about this in public

nahh suck my dick old man

He said they were all cool motherfuckers, tho.

Maybe because he knows he's guilty and his bullshit went on longer than people think.

Be a Pisces. Jam.

The Cosby case isn't over yet though, he can't just talk about it like that.

>What’s something you’ve worked on that should’ve been bigger?

What the fuck are you talking about? I’ve never had that problem. They were all big.

>Well, who’s doing good work?
>Bruno Mars. Chance the Rapper. Kendrick Lamar. I like where Kendrick’s mind is. He’s grounded. Chance, too. And the Ed Sheeran record is great. Sam Smith — he’s so open about being gay. I love it. Mark Ronson is someone who knows how to produce.

OH FUCK OFF

Also

>Also 77923900
You guys are fucking retarded.

>He likes someone I don't
>OH FUCK OFF!

I agree with this though. A lot of his work has gotten acclaim. Even the bad albums.

>Mark Ronson is someone who knows how to produce.

The guy seems to be pretty genuine about his stories despite how bullshit they sound lol

You don't talk about how terrible pop music is and how bad current pop songs are, then talk about how great Ed Sheeran and Sam Smith are in the next breath. Fuck that bullshit.

what do you, an anonymous poster on a sub section of a taiwanese belt-making image swapping forum, know about 70 years of racism? this is the problem with most of pol

who's his favorite kpop waifu

THIS , I was like what is this guy talking about? also
>Mark Ronson is someone who knows how to produce
Is this nigga serious?

why not? if he thinks they're good he thinks they're good. i don't agree but that doesn't mean i'm gonna dismiss his opinion outright like some kind of knee-jerk reactionary retard.

So it turns out he's not based. He's just an old black man yelling whatever random thoughts happen to drift through his head at the moment that might piss someone off.

See, either I think that he's just being hypocritical cuz he's old as shit, or he's just saying that these guys are in his opinion the only halfway decent mainstream artists because he shat on both modern pop and hip hop in the interview.

so he's black Sup Forums

Yeah. Seems more like banter than actual controversial opinions he holds.

>The oldman thinks Uptown Funk is a good song and not generic trash
Oh no no no no

Literally who?

Right? He seems keen to sling shit about everyone but then boasts about all the women he cycles through who are 50 years younger than him? Fuck off you creepy old cunt

>adult women willingly sexually engage with an older man
>this is bad

lol

>that day that OP wasnt a faggot
well done. thanks for bringing this article to our attention.

Doesn't make the whole thing any less sleazy.

>implying you wouldn't fuck a 24 year old if offered to when you old as shit if you don't have any relationship commitments

>Believing someone who hang around with the elite
>Also nobody pointing out this shit

>But you know who sings and plays just like Hendrix?
>Who?
>Paull allen

This nigga is dying

>old people having sex with younger consenting adults is sleazy because

lol

This interview is the ultimate shitpost that Quincy orchestrated. Well done my man!

Old mans too old to go digging retard. Those are probably the only new names he knows

I'd tap that ass even if i was dying
fuck is wrong wit you homo

But his beef with pop music is that there's nothing new, and there's no innovation. OK, fine, I respect that opinion. Then he names like, the most conservative, least "happening" big names out there today. So he's sending the message that, okay, if you're not going to do anything radically innovative, then you shouldn't even try, you might as well just play standards. Everyone should be at the level of the guy down at the subway, playing acoustic guitar songs for pocket change (i.e. what Ed Sheeran was before he got big). That's not a message I can get down with.

the segues between topics Quincy does is so fucking funny
>Man, Ray Charles and Stevie Wonder used to street race each other down Sunset Boulevard, it was crazy. You ever been to Japan?

>Fucking fathered modern pop music and hip hop
>Has been a Titan of the industry for like 50 years
>Delivers this interview

Based man. Also I recommend people to listen to his solo album You've Got It Bad, Girl. Groovy as hell.

It's public fact that Ringo was a shit musician, Paul said that he was a better drummer for God's sake so this shouldn't be new info to anyone except deluded Ringo fanboys. Guy was crucial for the band though because he was a great chap and all the other three guys loved to be with Ringo. Ringo basically functioned as the internal glue of the band that's why he was essential.

How can you shit talk about The beatles and Michael jackson and then say that Kendrick, Chance the rapper, Ed Sheeran and Sam smith are good.
is this old fat ass serious?

Find me a pop song in c# minor that has a 4:3 polyrhythm in it as well like Ed Sheeran's Shape Of You.

i don't think you have very good reading comprehension

he was asked what modern pop musicians he likes, it's like saying what your favorite Lego piece to step on is. He wasn't saying they're better than The Beatles and Jackson. Don't be a brainlet

The Beatles had no good singers and no good instrumentalists. That's a fact. But that's rock & roll.

Any key signature is just the same as any other key signature so that's a worthless statement. As for the polyrhythm, that's not uncommon at all. Hell, current trap rap is ALL ABOUT polyrhythms. Like, that's the one distinguishing factor about trap rap "flow", is the tuplets. Listen to ANY Migos song. ANY. That's where any supposed current fascination with polyrhythm comes from.

People should realise where Quincy is coming from; he's one of those Old school Berkeley Jazz guys who are fucking music professors. That's why he is shitting on people like Hendrickx because indeed compared to old jazz guys most modern pop musicians treat their craft like shit. However there is usually also a bit of vitriol attached to such opinions, which reflects in this interview. Also he is an old guy.

at the end of the day, they're in it for money. if i have millions of dollars and a full career, why the fuck would i not give a fraction of my fortune to get some mid 20s tang
both parties are consensual. if i'm at that point and i'm trying to score, who the fuck cares

spin.com/2018/01/quincy-jones-interview-gq-highlights/
This nigga done gone lost his damn mind. Based though.

>Find me a pop song that fits my arbitrary buzzwords that somehow equate to quality

XD

>Any key signature is just the same as any other key signature
Not even gonna bother reading the rest of your statement because this is not even remotely true and the reason why different key sigs exist. Oh geez I just accidentally read Migos which leads to:
>comparing Migos basic trap tuplet flow to 4:3
Lmao

>I am going to things I have no clue about arbitrary buzzwords
Like, if you can't into theory at least look your shit up. I swear you guys are like the equivalents of dumb ghetto black people that think getting an education is uncool pretentious garbage.

>Mark E Smith dies
>Quincy Jones is now his black American replacement
Based Quincy, doing God's work he is

yeah as if the key signature and usage of polyrhythms is some kind of mark of quality. you equate music theory to a measuring stick of quality when what it actually is is a structure with which to model music. stop being a fucking retard.

>What’s something you’ve worked on that should’ve been bigger?
>What the fuck are you talking about? I’ve never had that problem. They were all big.
A B S O L U T E L Y B A S E D

If taking a song in A minor and transposing it to C# minor is innovation, then innovation must be easier than I thought.

i didn't read the interview, does he talk about mark e. smith?

>watches adam neely once

>quincy jones
>one of the greatest pop producers of all time
>talking about a niche post punk band frontman
you tell me

I could buy this with John, Paul, and George, but Ringo was notorious for never messing up.
>In his extensive survey of the Beatles' recording sessions, historian Mark Lewisohn confirmed that Starr was both proficient and remarkably reliable and consistent. According to Lewisohn, there were fewer than a dozen occasions in the Beatles' eight-year recording career where session breakdowns were caused by Starr making a mistake, while the vast majority of takes were stopped owing to mistakes by the other three Beatles.

Nothing's a sheer mark of quality you fucking idiot, personal tastes are always subjective. That being said, creativity can/should be lauded.

Let me break this down for your utter retard ass:

c# minor's one of the tougher keys to write songs for; in fact it's one of the least common keys used in music for that reason (it was second least common or least common based on Spotify's metrics of all the music they have.) You're actively choosing to work with a set of notes that most people as a result aren't actually used to hearing. Under most circumstances this shouldn't be a chart topper liked by many people considering the frequencies in play. It's the most streamed song in 2017.

The song works with a 4:3 polyrhythm. Of the polyrhythm sets that are more commonly used (3:2, 2:3, 4:3) 4:3 is the toughest one to successfully implement. If the average person tries to have it work, it ends up sounding like that stilted Dream Theater sounding shit. Sheeran implements it in a pop song that charted to the top and it sounds seamless. Not only that, the polyrhythms going against his rapping, which is also singing at the same time. What I am talking is more creativity than technicality but that's still very impressive.

I am not using theory as a measuring stick of quality. I am using theoretical concepts to explain that the guy's using tools that don't often entail helping make catchy pop songs (rather the complete opposite) to make catchy pop songs (which is much MUCH harder than it would appear if you don't write music.) That requires creativity and ingenuity to pull off; and I can personally respect Sheeran for that even though I don't enjoy listening to his music.

jesus christ, Quincy takes the definition of based to another level.

you're an idiot

It wouldn't sound the same though. You haven't written much music outside Cmaj/Amin or Gmaj/Emin if you think that's all it takes.

see when you put it in that context you don't come off as a retard, i'm used to Sup Forumstants using time signatures as a dick measuring instrument. i apologize for calling you a retard, you've actually got your shit together. good post.

It helps that Ringo's drum lines are rarely more than basic patterns

Also please point out where the polyrhythms are in Shape of You. I actually had to go back and listen to it to confirm, all there is is a 3-3-2 tresillo rhythm i.e. not polyrhythm.

>>What’s something you wish you didn’t know?
>Who killed Kennedy.
>>Who did it?
>[Chicago mobster Sam] Giancana. The connection was there between Sinatra and the Mafia and Kennedy. Joe Kennedy — he was a bad man — he came to Frank to have him talk to Giancana about getting votes.
Big if true

Jokes on you I don't experience attraction

universe brain

Kennedy owed the mob for rigging Chicago and by extension Illinois in his favor in 1960. Then he had the gall to come down on them while in office...

How can a black man in his 80s say modern day is "the worst we've ever been"?

Shit was getting better back then. Its not anymore.

>old black man who lived through the civil rights movement says racism is an issue
yes he clearly has no idea what he's talking about

This

>>old black man who lived through the civil rights movement says racism is an issue
*culturally inspired the civil rights movement

this but unironically

tldr. he's a Pisces

Quincy Jones giving scaruffi a run for his money I see