Saw this today. Very surprised with how good it was. Maybe the best Star Wars...

Saw this today. Very surprised with how good it was. Maybe the best Star Wars. Think I almost cried at the beauty of it a couple of times. People were clapping at the end. Good job Disney.

fuck off

its prequel-tier bad

TFA was way better

Yeah I wanted to cry when the Asian Monk died. So emotional

>TFA was way better
tfa is the worst of all the films

It was great, best blockbuster of the year and by quite a big margin

I liked it because it took the franchise more seriously than the other movies, especially the prequels and TFA, did.

Battle scenes were glorious. Imperial officers were better developed. Vader was super badass. Lots of characters died like an an actual battle. Lots of confusion like an actual battle Humour didn't get in the way of the tension. Have a reason for the Death Star weakness. Good fun! OP.

>Vader was super badass

"how to out yourself as a manchild"

'I've been outed and I wasn't even in' - J. Seinfeld.

No, but really, he was terrifying rather than grandfatherly.

literally worse than the prequels

In what way? The prequels and TFA are the reason I had low expectations. This movie was brutal and beautiful and expanded the story to occasionally question what 'good vs evil' actually means in a war.

And there was a wise-cracking robot!

DVDrip when?

I'm convinceD mist of you contrarian memers lack the necessary funds to buy a ticket or are too chicken shit to go alone because it really doesn't seem like you've seen the movie.

What's the term for parody becoming indistinguishable from reality?

>going alone to a movie

You know not all of us can afford to lug an anvil into the cinema. You normies don't know how lucky you have it.

use bigger words next time moron

This was an abortion of a film. 90% of it was pure rubbish, only redeemed by the last 20 minutes of the movie.

The characters were so dull, the only one you have the slightest connection to is the Quip2SO, which was essentially just an over-done copy of C-3PO.

The scene at Vader's castle was horrendous, why was it included at all? And that quip: "be careful not to choke on your... aspirations" [laugh track] - what utter rubbish, what a way to make the franchise's most imposing villain another generic Marvel baddie. Also the costume looked bad.

The CGI Tarkin was awful, reminiscent of Polar Express, Tron Legacy, or Beowulf. When he first turns around, it only makes you wonder "Oh, are they promoting the animated series here?" And the worst part is, this real technological terror they've constructed reappears in multiple scenes.

When I saw TFW, I couldn't image they could make a more dull, lifeless, call-back-ridden, piece of nostalgia candy, but they did. Bravo Disney, you ruined Star Wars to a degree Lucas never could.

>Also the costume looked bad.
this

how hard could it be to get it right

his costume, his height, his breathing and his voice were all off

I mean you have cosplayers, videogame versions, cartoon versions, etc, and they all did better job than an actual fucking movie, wtf

How else do you make a prequel with dead actors other than CGI? This being the case, of course you have to make allowances for technology - art being the willing suspension of disbelief (Blackadder). Loved seeing Leia at the end.

Understand your point about connection with the characters, but it seems less important when you can easily sympathise with their motivations. That and the fact most of them are gonna be vapourish in 90 minutes.

Might I add, good performances from Mendelson and Whittaker.

Biggest relief was that the female lead was believable - there was a reason for her to be there other than the result of Disney focus groups.

Same OP, I felt the first half to be a hurried mess however, you could tell what was going on but it felt rushed and poorly put-together, it's tempting to blame that on the reshoots.

However, the battle that comprises the third act I guess was phenomenal, I suddenly cared about the characters and there was the real possibility of them dying so that helped.

I think they actually worked on old Star Wars setpieces in interesting new ways as well, the shot of the AT-AT looming out of the dust was unusually menacing and terrifying, and in general the action felt fresh and well choreographed.
this desu, no retarded moments like the reveal of the millenium falcon in TFA.

Did not like.

I thought Felicity Jones' performance was very contrived. Jyn's background was very cliche and I had no real feeling for her as a character. The Mexican guy had cartoon morality and generally wasn't likeable either. No, I'm not warming to you for sparing her Father when you mercilessly slayed a friendly gentleman at the start of the film.

Maybe I'm a low iq moron, but the beginning of the movie lost me. It wasn't engaging in the slightest, and I didn't really know what was going on. Forrest Whitaker's character was such a useless role within this story. His performance was shit too, stop with the shitty accents.

I have no real sense of the SW universe. It just feels like they're zooming around in space landing on random planets that have the same topography with one major city.

Darth Vader's stupid choke line did not make him menacing. Tarkin looked fucking awful, I can't believe they didn't at least try to place him in a darker light or something. Who watched that at Disney and thought it was passable?

The ending was just about the most predictable shite I have ever seen. "Who are you"? "You know who I am". REALLY? Fucking REALLY? I wonder who will possibly save Jyn at this moment? Will it be her almost-love interest that we saw fall down earl- Yup! It's him, the uncharismatic Mexican!

Also, because I read spoilers before hand, I assumed Vader would kill the entire team. I was expecting Asian monk and Pakistani Pilot to get rekt by Vader's saber. Instead it was just a bunch of extras, ruining the only apparent good part of film.

I guess it had some good action scenes, but I did not care for the story.

I don't even know why I still bother with Star Wars desu. I think I'm just attached to it because KOTOR was such an amazing game. One day I hope somebody will be able to capture the spirit of that game into a film.

is this thread just copied and pasted YouTube comments?

Oh hey, JJ.

interesting and valid point

I agree that Leia looked much better, or at least was presented for too short a time to fully appreciate that it's CG.

I think they had too many different characters that were all really good conceptually, but (at least in my view) none of them were given time to develop on screen. Mendelson and Whittaker were not even used to their full potential.

Jyn was a decent lead, but again, you just don't have enough time to feel for who is supposed to be the main heroin. Even if they all day, it should feel tragic and heroic, and I just didn't care.

>Maybe I'm a low iq moron, but the beginning of the movie lost me.

Well, at least you realize it.

I like how they didn't sugar coat the ending for normie appeal.

Also the setting was much more immersive than any of the prequels, which is the second most important thing in any Star Wars movie.

4>5>3>6>2=1>rogue one> tfa

Yet you cannot refuter any point I made.

Checkmate, Gareth.

i don't think anyone with a real job has the time to refute fanboy delusionalism

4>RO>5>the rest of the overdramatic cutesy garbage

>overly large cast, each with complex backstories that they try to subtly hint at instead of just spending long scenes of boring exposition talking about their past
>so when all these characters fucking die we know very little about them and don't really care
i barely even noticed that the ex-imperial pilot guy died, more that the other character's supposed means of escape blew up
>all the characters seem to be trying to out-edgy eachother
>vader shown to basically be sleeping in a tank on some backwater planet between episodes instead of rolling around the galaxy wiping out rebels and possible jedi like he fucking should be
>rebels, the supposed good guys, are made out to look like a bunch of bickering assholes or wholly incompetent
>cool new tie striker and u wing ships (and the stupid looking shuttle) never explained what happened to them between movies, even when the rebel fleet is shown using a bunch of them
if they were unique ships or prototypes, it would have been fine, but not having that shows that both sides had ships that would really help out both sides that they just choose not to use

i will say, though, most of act 3 makes up for some of it. that was a really epic space battle, and despite coming off like a fan-films version, vader was just as terrifying and badass as he was made out to be in the other movies

i didn't mind tarkin. thought he looked pretty good. im sure someone who doesn't know the guy is dead would probably be fooled into thinking it's the original actor

>No, but really, he was terrifying rather than grandfatherly.
I liked his rampage because in basically every Jedi game, you do the exact same thing to stormtroopers and now the shoe is on the other foot.

That's how force users deal with cannon fodder.

>What's the term for parody becoming indistinguishable from reality?
It doesn't apply here but "self-parodying" comes close to what you mean.

You can definitely call a film self-parodying, though I'd argue with you about calling this one that.

>Might I add, good performances from Mendelson and Whittaker.
Yeah, I never even recognised Whittaker, he's usually kind of a dummy and this cast well against type (which is good).

Mendelson was great, a frustrated but hyper-competent imperial who's just having a really bad day.

>The Mexican guy had cartoon morality and generally wasn't likeable either
You're not supposed to think he's a nice guy. These rebels have dirty hands, that's made abundantly clear.

>I don't even know why I still bother with Star Wars desu
Well, I'm sort of with you there but Disney can do good things so there's some hope for decent movies here and there between the JJ Abrams shit.

>I like how they didn't sugar coat the ending for normie appeal.
This. Brutal, inevitable, you hope there might be some way out but no, there isn't.

>i didn't mind tarkin. thought he looked pretty good. im sure someone who doesn't know the guy is dead would probably be fooled into thinking it's the original actor
I didn't know the guy was dead, I never noticed anything was up with him. I assumed that Leia was just shitloads of makeup and some CGI de-aging but apparently it's way more complicated than that. I think that they did a much better job on Tarkin than on Leia, it's just as well that she was only on screen for two seconds but in that time I remember thinking "Holy fuck, the makeup is caked on" but I guess it was just textures on the CGI or something.

yup that whole sequence was like from Jedi Knight 2

>yup that whole sequence was like from Jedi Knight 2
Precisely. Which does give some validity to the argument that it's fan service but whatever.

I'm glad they didn't have him using force lightning. They did seem to make an effort with continuity on this film.

2 bits of trivia from EU, finally made an appearance:

- Y-Wings are bombers!
- ION Torpedoes

please correct me if this was mentioned before in the actual movies/cartoons

Pssst, user, I've got a little secret for you

You know all those idiotic youtube comments you see on every video? Yeah, THOSE guys are the anons on this board. Don't tell nobody!

>The CGI Tarkin was awful, reminiscent of Polar Express
When you tards will stop throwing tantrum each time attempt at realistic 3D is made? There was nothing really wrong with Polar Express, even with Mars needs moms too.

If you are creeped out by humans in those movies, how do you even react when you see your own pasty lifeless reflection in mirror?

You know a movie is bad when any praise looks like trolling, like OP is doing.

What makes their complaints even more ridiculous is that I've met multiple people who didn't realize he was CGI. That by itself proves its not part of the uncanny valley.

Anons have to realize that surpassing the uncanny valley isn't defined by 100% of people realizing it is fake. The uncanny valley is defined by being so off putting that no one thinks it is real.

The entire uncanny vally concept is complete bullshit. Poor animation may happen no matter what degree of realism is chosen.

>I've met multiple people who didn't realize he was CGI
I'm one of those people

but keep in mind I also though Beowulf was filmed, just had some weird filters applied.

Really wished Vader massacred the main crew instead of some extras we don't care about. Now that would be shocking.