Musicians you'll defend even though they've put out a lot of bad material

I think that the Sun Kil Moon albums that came out before Benji are largely pretty boring and tedious. I enjoy some songs like Lost Verses, Elaine, Carry Me Ohio, a few others, but those albums don't do much for me. Benji and onward however are mostly excellent albums that significantly make up for that stretch of music that Mark was doing. I would even go so far as to say that from Bridge all the way to Perils From the Sea are riddled with mediocre songs.

I don't know blasphemous that is to say on this board but I think that Mark has a seriously underwhelming chunk of his discography but I still consider myself a big Mark Kozelek fan. Throughly looking forward to the two albums that are to come out this year.

universal themes is my favourite sun kil moon album. im not interested in the ones that have come after that. so i recommend you to give a chance to universal themes at least

>Implying Roses, Tiny Cities and April are bad

mark must be defended at all costs

ok i didnt even read ur post op

It's my favorite too. It's unfortunate that he's let Trump dictate the direction of the albums that come after.

Gotta say dude, while Mark has some mediocre releases, they're really only mediocre on the Koz-scale. You're so conditioned to expect top quality output from him, that albums that are thoroughly good or pretty good, 6/7 out of 10 are instantly looked over or given a far more critical eye than if some literal who put them out it would spark some interest from you, because it goes against your expectations.

That said, you really need to give Ghost of the Great Highway more of a chance. That album is probably one of the best things koz has ever put out. If you ever lose someone close to you, even a dog or a cat, I strongly suggest you just put on that album and follow your sadness wherever it takes you. It really is a beautiful album about loss, regret, and finding hope after tragedy.

those early albums arent musically so daring. maybe thats the issue for some

this thread should be titled musicians you defens despite their comments

I found his last two records to be so fucking tedious that I couldn’t even finish them in one sitting. I don’t even think I finished Common as Light and I don’t have a desire to and I’ve been listening to SKM/RHP since most of you were probably in middle school

Yeah they aren't BAD they each have like a couple of good songs on them. Tiny Cities isn't even Mark's best covers album, it's pretty good though. I think Sings Favorites is my favorite Mark covers album.
Interesting observation but I mostly disagree. The first thing I heard of Mark's was Benji, and I did NOT fucking get that album. It was only a couple of years later that I sat down with it again after going back and listening to everything that came out before it and I absolutely loved it, now it's one of my fav Mark releases.

I dig Ghosts of the Great Highway
God damn, DJ is a big hit and miss artist for me. I am in love with many of his songs but overwhelmingly his output is not for me.
lol I'm actually entirely fine with Mark's debocles of 'get in line' and 'suck my cock' or 'the Ottawa Blues Fest is run by inbreds" like it's all in good fun I could care less.
I COMPLETELY get this. Universal Themes, Common As Light, Yellow Kitchen, the Jesu albums, and that other collab album from 2017 are very dense experimental records so I get that. To my tastes though I'm really into that stuff. What I don't like is sleep inducing folk rock that is like Bridge up to Perils.

Dude he mentions trump in 5 or 6 songs tops. Get over it. If anything, Kozelek has shown through his lyrics that he's totally sensible about it, particularly in House Cat.

Yeah, Mark's Trump-isms are hardly unbearable. I think that line in I Love Portugal about "I guess we're gonna have a real fucking asshole as a president" or whatever is kind of genius in it's candidness, especially considering that Mark didn't even know who was going to be president at the time! The more you know.

Please remember we must defend Mark at all costs.

With that said, the best part of Common as Light was him calling Father John Misty "Dr. John Misty"

lol that was a funny one, unfortunately for me anyway, all of the spoken word moments on that album lose their taste after repeated listens. That feeling of knowing exactly what he's going to say is sort of different when it's just him speaking instead of singing. Hard to explain but it does make that album a little bit more of a chore to sit through the entire thing. I'd say I love like 10 songs or more off of it.

Benji was my first album of his as well. I liked it instantly, the rambling, the humor, all of it. It took me much longer to appreciate his work in Red House Painters.

Yeah Benji is a 9 for me absolutely, Red House Painters is a different fucking world compared to it in terms of style, lyrics etc. I think songs like 24, Katy Song, Grace Cathedral Park, Strawberry Hill, Song For Blue Guitar, Brown Eyes, and Michael are some of Mark's absolute best songs but I'm still probably more of Sun Kil Moon fan overall.

Isaac Brock / Modest Mouse.

a literal perfect album. what more could you ask from any artist?

I appreciate everything he's done. I still eagerly await every SKM release, but RHP is really more of what I generally prefer to listen to. It took a really long time for me to fully appreciate them, but it really paid off. I really consider early SKM just RHP. He even said he only changed the name after a slump in output to reignite interest. They really only start to seem distinct projects around 2010 or so.

Isaac's output was great up until 2007 though. It's only there that it started to slump.

>defends carry me ohio, elaine, and the lost verses.
>literally the most uninspired garbage mark has ever released, only released to appeal to the masses.
my

fucking

sides

tiny cities is trash by default

it is like a joke album taking the piss out of a more garbage artist than he would ever be no matter what

actually this guy kind of speaks wise words - the only trouble with ghosts of the great highway is that people seem to fall for the meme of carry me ohio. what the fuck is it with retards liking that song? only song worth deleting on the whole album.

april is a VERY close second.

maybe on par.

>appealing to the masses
>a bad thing
I don't know, those songs just stand out to me because everything else on those albums is basically under the some uniformed style whether it be predominantly folky RHP type rock songs or straight up acoustic ballads those few songs I mentioned are particularly well written to me.
>deleting Carry Me Ohio
>:( why
That song is like, Rollercoaster tier Mark type song. I love it. And i like fucking Yellow Kitchen give me a break.

I'm the guy you said speaks wise words and Carry Me Ohio is honestly one of the best tracks on the record haha. My favorite next to Duk Koo Kim. I think the overwhelming relevance of Carry Me Ohio is that it's the most child-like exploration of that feeling of loss, so people are easier to dip into it to feel the feeling of the album, without committing to the emotional weight of the whole thing with dying old women with donut shops, and late boxers. Because it is really the way that these stories relate to the story of Katy in Carry Me Ohio that drive home the weight of the album and allow Carry Me Ohio to shine.

lol

This guy is such an insufferable old boomer hack. I unironically wish nothing but suffering on all of his fans.

>no mention of duk koo kim
end your life

Respond to this post if you are willing to defend mark at ALL costs.

Fuck off faggot.

>boomer
Mark was born in 1967, you ape, the boomer generation was 1946-1964
it's a pretty good song
he's one of the few 'modern artists' that I actually keep up with regularly along with Phil Elverum