Why can't they make descent horror films anymore?

Why can't they make descent horror films anymore?

Other urls found in this thread:

fortressofsolitude.co.za/2016/09/10-best-horror-movies-2016/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

What film is this? A santa hat is blocking the filename.

Because dumb fuck millenials think everything sucks anyway so whats even the point anymore?

Plebs = profit

I thought this movie was pretty good but it definitely relied on its two solid lead actors rather than having a really strong plot.

They made two Descent horror films though

Millennial actors and writers. The old guy was really the only solid thing in the movie.

You can't even spell decent.

I think the problem with horror films are the lack of originality. That said, 2016 was a good year for horrors. There was a big come back. Check out this list: fortressofsolitude.co.za/2016/09/10-best-horror-movies-2016/

Half of those movies are more thrillers than horror. Neon Demon, horror? Shit list.

Modern horror are just a quick cash grabs. Cheap movies can be made with just jumpscares and normal audiences eat it up.

I miss 80s practical effect gore horror.

slasher movies aren't horror

That ending sucked so much fucking ass. Pissed me off.
All that great atmosphere and build up completely fucking wasted.

What was even the point of that 'reveal' if they didn't do anything about it?
When you found out she was a witch that'd preserved herself and all the torture shit that'd happened to her body suddenly made sense, that was great, but its like they didn't know what to do with her after all that, aside from the 'not zombies' or whatever the fuck they were shuffling around.
It was fucking lame.

Darn, I thought I was gonna be the only one to post this quip. Guess I am a shitty fucking newfag. Gonna an hero, brb.

is this a new meme?

I don't know but it should be

I thought it was super obvious when you see the bag of cloth with markings on it that she's a witch.

I completely agree on the ending. It's like Sunshine. The first half is really damn good. Effective, interesting and simple. The second half loses the first two of those and it becomes lazy.

But that first half alone is good enough to watch this.

There have been like 4 decent horror films in the history of cinema.

Millenials don't want to see them, they are triggering.

Descent, The VVitch and Beyond the Black Rainbow are the best horror films of the past 15 years. Prove me wrong, you literally can't.

Horror films aren't supposed to be unironically good. There are a few exceptions, though.

you-r a-n fuck-king more-on, ore you-r joe-king

>they haven't seen Unforgivable

I'm trying to find a horror movie that was recently released. Mother and daughter's car breaks down on a secluded highway and they are being stalked by a werewolf (or some other kind of monster). Anyone know?

That sounds far fetched

Monster.

Cool. Thanks senpai.

The Descent

Don't Breath

It's shit, skip it.

What santa hat?

You're 15 now instead of 14.

This is the same dumbass from the other thread.

They can, they just don't. It's cheaper to shoot 10 hours of nothing happening on a cell phone and slap the name paranormal activity on it because people are retarded cows and this is why democracy doesn't work.

You grew up.

the VVitch and BtBR are not horror

>respecting horror as a genre

kek

autopsy of jean doe

What are they if not horror?

>The Witch
>best

Film in OP is a good one.

Problem with modern horror is fags like OP who want things to be cool rather than interesting.

Witch is closest to Drama or suspense and BtBR is psychological something or other. I know it sounds like I'm splitting hairs but they don't feel like horror the way Kairo or The Descent do.

I think beyond the recurring criticisms like too much jump scare, etc. The thing that baffles me the most about modern horror is an obvious lack of visual texture. I'm not sure how to put it, but they look too clean, too bland, too comfortable. Probably too many with generic middle-class settings, clean houses, boring couple protagonists being haunted while moving into a new house or horny teenagers getting slashed at some party. Whatever happened to working-class horror? Alien, The Thing, were about tough-as-nails but still vulnerable mechanics or engineers fixing shit around greasy ships or harsh environments. Cool visual elements: snow, smoke, a lot of darkness, which also meant interesting art direction, set design, unique lighting, etc. horror comes from unfamiliar feelings, but horror movies nowadays over-rely on being familiar, there's too much realism even in their depictions of horror. The thing about fake-looking gore or shit makeup is it looked silly but it also looked surreal and it made you feel uneasy. I still get chills down my spine when I see Romero's zombies, they look "off", more like sick humans than proper undead; meanwhile zombies in Walking Dead look too perfect and make me feel nothing. Feeling off, is something good for horror and lacking today as well.

I see your point.

BtBR is rather meditative tebehe, almost Jodorowski through a Mann filter. I consider it horror, but I won't argue over it.

VVitch is an edgier The Devils or The Crucible, but I wouldn't call it drama, it's too suspenseful and atmospheric. I would have gone for pre-industrial supernatural thriller if that makes any fucking sense.

If you take a thriller or mystery and add a supernatural element, it's automatically a horror movie to people. Because people are retarded.

I always liked horror movies with iconic boogie men in it like slasher films. Even if they weren't scary, they were enjoyable. That remake of Friday the 13th wasn't great but it was like the best way to bring back those kinds of movies and showed the best potential for them I guess.

But then you get shit directors like Rob Zombie and it kind of ruins everything.

The line between thriller and horror is thin user. Is Alien 3 horror? Is The Keep? Is I saw the Devil? Or Phase IV? What about Valhalla Rising? Where do you draw the line?

Serious question, I'm curious.

i liked It Follows

>the descent
>good
no

It Follows and The VVitch were the only good horror kinos from the past decade.

Isn't Beetlejuice considered to be at least part horror? I mean it has horror elements to it even if it's more of a comedy.

What constitutes a horror movie anyhow? It's really much more complicated than I thought because I bring up a movie and people say it's a thriller and not horror.

That's because horror doesn't mean anything anymore. It's just a blanket term to cover anything with a remotely scary element or beastie. Horror=Horrifying. The substance of the film is meant to unsettle the audience. Take something like Green Inferno and your typical Eli Roth. That's horror.

A3 and movies of the ilk, I'd definitely put more into the thriller category. The Witch is more a mystery/drama.

I think it's up to you what you think is horror and not, but all the films I mentioned have horror elements. Putting them in tiny boxes with nice tags attached is silly if you ask me. Both Beetlejuice and I Saw the Devil are horror, only they have different approaches to the genre. They also blend other elemnts(gothic Burton aesthetics and comedy vs slasher/serial killer tropes).

On the other hand, Dead Man's Shoes is a thriller and it's got much much more in common with I Saw the Devil(not only plot, but style and tone) than IStD has with Beetlejuice.

But they can.
>What is
>The Babadook
>It Follows
>The Witch

For the entirety of the genre's history, 99% of horror films have been shit.
The difference between then and now is that nobody ever hears about shitty horrors from the 70s, but you do hear about shitty horrors of today.

Horror used to be directed by old guys who had passion and skill in making movies, now your modern horror director is some nu-male who saw Friday the 13th 6 and thought it was kino. Dead genre that good directors dont wanna touch

What's weird is that a shitload of other genres have blended horror tropes, imagery and style that the genre is nigh-unidentifiable ATM.

Assault on Precinct 13 has a lot of horror elements to it. Pan's Labyrinth is essentially Alice in Wonderland/Wizard of Oz done in R rating. Picnic at Hanging Rock is Texas Chainsaw Massacre without the crazy family. Shit, Kagemusha's dream sequences are borderline horror and would have fit well in Kwaidan or Jigoku, but no one would call that film anything other than a period piece or a drama.

The best way I can put it is: I know horror when I see it. And yes, I have to agree, The VVitch is more fantasy/mystery than horror.

literally shit movies.

watch it faggots